Over and Over Again

Till Next Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You sighed as you slung your purse onto the couch and your heels kicked off and stumbling towards the floor. Everything had seemed blurry; it felt like you were trapped by your own conscious and can't escape. There's a slight gleam in your eyes as you crumple the piece of paper you have within your palm and it grew till it finally cascades down your cheek; the piece of paper now destroyed by your nimble and thin fingers. 

There was so much you didn't understand. So much that your mind couldn't wrap around but before you could even try to grasp the situation; reality had struck you. It was like a blow that had landed right between your eyes. A blow where for minutes, you just don't understand anything. But that bleary feeling had become your life. Tiny droplets fall onto your wooden table that soon collected into small puddles. 

You're still so young. You're both so young. You just don't know how this happened. Was it stress? Has there always been a mental problem in him? All of these questions that now he can't even answer for you. You're in your mid-fifties, a son who's doing wonderfully in college, a house that provides a comfortable roof over your head and most importantly; a husband who you are madly in love with to this day. 

You wipe off the remaining moisture off your cheek and flatten out the crumpled prescription. Cholinesterase; some new medication that won't make him remember anything but it at leasts prevents the symptoms and the death of his brain cells. You were thankful.

Your head snaps towards the door that is now being pushed by your son, carefully walking in your husband who has a blank expression painted on his face; Lee Jinki. His usual bright smile is replaced with quivering lips as he scans the room in befuddlement. You watch as he slowly sits down on the bed and loks down at his hands. You finally have the courage to scoot next to him and take his face in your hands. 

"Welcome home," you say, kissing his forehead.

"Wha-Who are you?" he whimpers, his eyes glued to yours. Your body automatically steels, and your heart painfully clenches with every beat. "You're beautiful..." he mutters, a hand reached out to brush your soft skin. 

"Thank you," you smile sadly.

He suddenly stands up, catching you off guard. You rise with him and you're bewildered at what he's doing. Jinki searches the room and spots the flowers resting in a vase on the table. He grabs them and disregards the water dripping down his shirt from the stem. He shoves the petals outwards in his hands like an innocent flower boy to you.

"You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Will you run away with me? I promise to always make you happy and to never make a tear fall down your face like it is right now," he proclaims loudly. Your son who's standing by the doorway has his mouth gaped open, watching this innocent scene unravel. 

Fresh tears continue to flood out of your eyes at a even more intense rate than before. You force a sweet smile and take the flowers from his hands. The moment you had taken the buds, his eyes lit up and that goofy grin of his appeared. 

"My name is Lee Jinki and I would like to take your hand in marriage more than anything else in this world."

You step closer to him and cradle his cheek as he leans lovingly towards the foreign touch he seemed to miss. You embrace him and whisper in his ear. 

"I already have."

His next reaction was even more adorable.

---

The steam blows in your face as you push the potatoes off the cutting board and into the pot of broth. You blow the hair away from your face and your lips crease into a deep frown as you start cutting the onions. You turn to your back to see your husband fiddling with some star paper. His face is scrunched together and the look of discomfort is evident as he tries to remember how to fold stars.

You giggle quietly as you remembered how he used to always fold stars for you. Up to a thousand. Was what he had said in the past.

You're in the middle of chopping when a tap on the shoulder interrupts you. You turn around to see Jinki shyly holding a few stars in the middle of his palm. 

"My name is Lee Jinki and I think you shine brighter than any star there is in the whole-" he pauses, forgetting his words. You wait for him patiently. "-in the whole universe! Please accept my love and I promise that we can create a big family with lots of children."

He holds out his palms willingly and encourages you  to inspect his gift. Your eyes prick with moisture as you place every star into your hands. Each star was disheveled and crumpled; proof that he had forgotten even this.

"I already have," you croak.

---

You gaze out of the window longingly as you stare at the sun setting peacefully in the sky. Each minute you sat there watching, the sun had created a marvelous gradient reflecting onto Earth's surface. You hear a soft snore right beside you and your attention is placed on the big baby sleeping right beside you. His brown hair was ruffled and his mouth partially open. 

On the outside, Jinki looks so content in his slumber; like there was nothing wrong in the world. You always enjoyed seeing him sleep. He was wearing a black t-shirt and his pajama pants that were tucked all the way up to his belly and even though yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter