Date of the Doctor

All Request Hour

When it came to friendships, Juhyun and Yixing had one of the best. As far as Yixing was concerned anyway. So when Juhyun wasn’t answering his texts, Yixing knew something was up with her. It wasn’t one of those girl things either. Juhyun was ignoring him, or something. Whatever was up with her, he didn’t like it and he’d do anything to get her out of her funk.

Juhyun, he texted, trying to imbue his exasperation into the letters. What did I do to deserve being ignored huh? Five minutes and no reply. This girl, man, she was gonna get it good when she finally started talking to him again. Juhyunnie. Why. This time he tried whiny, but still nothing. So clearly he’d have to make her laugh.

Bacon. That’s bacon. Are you trying to poison me?

Yixing sat on his bed and scratched his arm, staring at his phone. If anything would get Juhyun talking to him again it had to be references to their favorite show. The countless hours they’d spent watching a blue box and a madman were irreplaceably good times. “Juhyun,” Yixing grumbled as he stood up and got to work in his closet.

 

Not that Juhyun was ignoring Yixing, okay, well she sort of was. But it wasn’t her fault that life was terrible around her. Between a horrible aunt that addressed everyone as if she were a Princess in Downton Abbey and a sister focused solely on her birthday and becoming an adult, Juhyun couldn’t bring herself to be sociable. Yes, even to Yixing, who in all honesty was the most annoying, impossibly good-looking, enigma to ever follow her around.

The two of them together didn’t look right sometimes, or even make sense when Juhyun over-analyzed and yet there he was, her best friend through thick and thin. Puberty had done him all the justice and given her none. Her nerdy playmate went from too gangly and skinny to lean muscle and practically towering over her, while Juhyun was left with s and extra weight on her hips. The girls in their area all took a sudden interest in Yixing and Juhyun knew he liked the attention, but he would always come back to her. Even now when she was upset with life, it was Yixing blowing up her phone with questions and.. What’s this now? Doctor Who quotes? This punk. Juhyun rolled her eyes and went back to her laptop, checking the download status of a few new movies she’d wanted to try.

 

Even though he’d seen it done a million times on YouTube tutorials, Yixing could not manage his bowtie. He had the boots, the high-waisted trousers, suspenders and oxford shirt. Yixing had even recently acquired a film costume quality tweed jacket, with funds from his most recent paying job, but he couldn’t manage the damned bowtie. Fiddling with it one more time, he smirked to himself, knowing Juhyun would probably be able to tie it for him. He squinted in concentration and finally got the bowtie looking perfect. “Bowties are cool,” Yixing grinned at his reflection in the mirror on the door of his closet.

He snapped his fingers and kept his arms bent at the elbow, his hands looking like they were constantly grabbing at things as he navigated the small messes on his bedroom floor. He was conductor and stage director all at once in his managed clutter of a room. Snatching up his sonic replica and fez, calling to his mom that he’d be home late, Yixing left for Juhyun’s house.

The looks he got from the pedestrian traffic around him almost made him laugh. Being Chinese already made him somewhat of an oddity and now, in eleventh doctor regalia, he was out like a sore thumb. Yixing didn’t really care though. His clothes were completely comfortable and besides, he was going to cheer up a friend.

Knocking at Juhyun’s place, Yixing smiled when her sister opened the door. “Hello small Pond.” He grinned.

“Juhyun, your crazy friend is here,” her sister called into the house, leaving the door open and Yixing standing outside.

The protocol between Juhyun and Yixing was generally to get out of her house as quickly as possible, so Yixing didn’t bother letting himself inside. He rocked on the balls of his feet, looking out at her yard while he waited.

“Sixth season, really?”

Yixing glanced at the sardonic speaker and grinned, showing off a dimple in his cheek. “I thought you’d like me in my prime.” Juhyun had her arms crossed over her chest, her shoulder canted against the doorframe. Yixing saw the smile in her eyes, even though she left her lips devoid of humor. “Well, Pond. Are we going out?”

“Yes.” Juhyun grinned and ran to collect her things, happy to get out of the house containing the two people she sometimes wished would be up into the crack in her wall.

Collecting Juhyun’s hand, Yixing ran them out of her yard and down the block before he stopped to a casual walk. “Where to Pond? Movies?”

"Movies do sound good." Summer was looking down its loaded barrels at them and the air conditioning of a dark theatre would be a much needed respite.

"I'm glad you're talking to me at least. What's up today?"

Juhyun shrugged, looking at their feet as they walked. "Sister's acting like she needs a break from the drag of planets around her. The world ends if I don't jump out of my seat to talk to her when she gets home. And I'm sure you can guess the other one."

"Auntie Em?" Yixing smiled at her. He just realized he hadn't let go of her hand, and he squeezed gently. Yixing had no intention of dropping that hand any time soon.

"She's such a beast." Juhyun shook her head. "We're out though. You're here, even though you look like a weirdo."

"Hey, fez are cool."

"Yeah." Juhyun turned a look on him like what Amy Pond would give her Doctor.

Yixing laughed and dropped her hand in order to lift the red hat off his head and place it on hers. Juhyun rolled her eyes but kept wearing it. "It looks good on you," he insisted as he let their shoulders brush while they walked.

"We'd both look better in a TARDIS." Juhyun mused, grumpily.

"And how are your blueprints for one coming along, Ms. Pond?" Yixing clasped his hands behind his back as they walked.

"Very well, Doctor," Juhyun tried on a Scottish accent, half-managing it.

They continued playing as The Doctor and Amy on their way to the theatre. The instant rush of cold made Juhyun shiver, in a good way. "Think we'll see any Ood?" She asked, looking over the choices for movies.

"We should learn an Ood song." Yixing grinned. "Can you write Gallifreyan free hand yet?"

Juhyun shook her head and Yixing smiled. "What. You can?"

Yixing nodded happily. "Only certain words though." He admitted and bought their tickets. Seeing Juhyun looking at him at first in disbelief then in minor annoyance, Yixing tried to change the subject before she could hit him. "Snacks?"

 

They spent the movie in silence, Yixing wondering if Juhyun was plotting his demise. "What did you think?" He asked her, leaning to her ear as the credits rolled.

"Good," she said simply.

Yixing looked at her and relaxed a little to see her smile. She was really pretty when she smiled. He cleared his throat and looked back at the screen. "You want to have dinner or something.. or home?" Glancing at her, he saw goosebumps on her arms as she stretched, hiding a yawn. "Are you cold?"

"It's not bad." Juhyun shrugged him off. "Let's get a coffee or something, if we don't eat." She stood up and Yixing followed her readily. She handed his fez back when they were outside and in exchange he shrugged out of his coat and wrapped it around her shoulders. "What are you doing?" Juhyun complained, but didn't try giving the coat back.

"You know you're dying to wear it." Juhyun grinned and Yixing showed his dimple in return. They both loved the eleventh doctor, probably too much. Yixing hooked his thumbs in his suspenders and walked beside his equivalent to Amy Pond.

Quiet the whole trip to the coffee shop, Yixing stepped forward to order for them and Juhyun got a table. Yixing waited for their drinks to finish before coming over to sit opposite her. He got a chance to stare at her while she wasn't looking. She looked good in his doctor jacket, like she was his, except he knew he'd always be hers. Juhyun could be just as forceful as Amy Pond was toward her boys.

"What are you laughing at?" Juhyun asked him.

"Nothing," he said, looking up at her with a smile. "I was just remembering Rory's face when they were talking about 'Pond's men.' Or whenever The Doctor called him Rory Pond."

Juhyun chuckled and nodded, sipping her iced coffee.

 

Their time in the coffee shop was spent talking away worries and pondering how the new season of Doctor Who would pan out. They'd lost track of how many hours passed, until Juhyun got a text telling her to come home. Walking reluctantly that direction, Yixing stayed quiet, which prompted Juhyun to not talk much either.

Coming up on her house, Yixing threw caution to the wind, slid his hand into Juhyun's and stopped her walking. "Hey," he said, trying to sound nonchalant and cool. "Do you, maybe, want to go out with me?"

Juhyun chuckled at him. "Yeah, when?"

"No," Yixing chewed his lower lip nervously before focusing on her eyes. "Will you, be my girlfriend?" He watched as realization dawned over Juhyun. His heart was whirring as much as the TARDIS landing, waiting for her to say something. Anything.

"I.. Guess we can, yeah."

Yixing sighed in relief and hugged her tightly, holding her with strong arms. He kept her close, longer than he should have maybe, but he didn't even care as a light blush colored his cheeks and he let her go.

"Uh, your coat." Juhyun smiled and handed the tweed jacket back to him.

Yixing was pretty sure her cheeks were even redder than his; it made him happy as he took his jacket. "We'll do something tomorrow then, too?"

"Yeah," Juhyun gave him a wider smile and turned toward her house.

Yixing watched her walk away, waiting for that thing girls did that he loved so much. And there it was, Yixing's heart felt like two inside his chest as it flooded him with warmth, seeing Juhyun glance back at him just before she opened the door to her house.

"Get out of here!" Juhyun yelled at him.

Laughing, Yixing waved and draped his jacket over his shoulder, holding the neck of it with two fingers. This summer was going to be awesome.

 

[ Finished request ♥ Comments are loved and always replied to.