Hae oppa

At Least I Still Have You

When Donghae was around, he made me feel special like I was the only one in his eyes. We stuck to each other and people described us as "inseparable". As time went by, my feelings grew into something more for Donghae. He wasn't just a friend in my eyes; I wanted him to be my lover. 

I could feel it in my bones. Everytime he stared at me, I felt goosebumps forming and when he does his aegyo, I can do nothing but give in. I willingly gave the key to my locked heart and he doesn't even know he has it.

One day I recieved a letter.

Dear Kyuhyun,

I'm writing this letter to explain to you how I feel. I am starting to fall for you, and it is driving me crazy, because I can't seem to tell you how I really feel. I need to know where I stand in your life, and if it could ever be more than what we are now. I'm starting to develop strong feelings towards you, and I don't know why.

I love your eyes, your smile, your hair, your body, and your voice--it drives me crazy. When I hear your husky voice, my heart skips a beat and I long to hear your voice early in the morning when I wake up and when I go to sleep at night.

I need to know how you feel about me. Could you possibly feel the same towards me, or can this never be? I just want you to be mine. I want to be able to say that you're mine. Well, now you know that I am secretly falling in love with you. I'm not going to tell you who I am yet. I had to get the courage to tell you how I feel and please wait for more letters until the day I reveal my name.

Love, 

Your secret admirer

I read the letter a few times. Curiosity bubbled in me and I pondered on who the secret admirer might be. I was only friends with Donghae...Maybe it was part of his group of friends?

I called Donghae and babbled to him excitedly. Perhaps it was the thrill that I was being noticed that got me hyped up.

"Haeeeeeee guess what?" I trilled down the phone.

"Are you drunk Kyu?" Donghae blurted.

I facepalmed myself. "I'm just happy...okay wait maybe I'm not happy? I just feel high."

Donghae chuckled in amusement. "Are you sure you're not drunk? I'll come over to your house. Make sure you don't break anything."

I danced around my room, belting out to Taylor Swift's song "You belong with me".

Just then, my door burst open the same way it did when I first met Donghae. I hopped to him and wrapped my arms round his neck and pulled him in a tight hug.

"Cod wyu wet mew gwo?"

I pulled away, confused. "What did you say?"

Donghae breathed a few times and repeated throatily, "I just asked if you could let me go."

I shrugged sheepishly and bounced around Donghae as he collapsed onto my bed.

"Look at what I got!" I hurriedly took out the letter and showed it to him.

He looked at it and smiled, somewhat bitterly I realised.

"So...are you going to wait for your secret admirer?" He asked, suddenly solemn.

I shook my head. "It's just flattering to know that there's someone out there who wants to know me. I already like someone." I replied softly.

Donghae looked at me in surprise. "Who?" Curiosity flashed across his face.

You. I so wanted to say but I held back, knowing it wasn't the right time to confess. I wasn't entirely ready for the entire world to know that I was gay yet. I smiled mysteriously at him.

"That's for me to know and for you to never find out."

After a while, the school have this annual dance that everyone attends. I normally don't go because well...I was a loser. However, just 2 weeks before the dance, Donghae sprang a surprise on me.

"Kyu, are you going to the dance?" Donghae clenched and unclenched his fists repeatedly in a nervous manner.

I stared at him. I only went once and that night was horrible. I, for once, had actually dressed up in a black suit that made my slightly pale skin glow. I was so excited though I had no date. The moment I walked in, the music stopped and everybody glared at me. Someone shouted that I didn't belong here and then more hurtful comments were thrown at me. I ran out, humiliated and vowed never to go back for a school dance.

I looked at Donghae, the hope shining bright in his eyes, and sighed. My eyes were a bit teary thinking about that night. "I...don't have a date." I said lamely.

Donghae clapped his hands and a wide grin spread across his face. "I don't have a date either! Do you want to go together?"

My jaw dropped. The popular guy of the school didn't have a date? And was Donghae gay? I mean I'm super happy if he was but...

Donghae's shoulders slumped, thinking I was going to reject him. He turned away and was about to leave when I murmured, "Sure. Why not?"

Donghae halted in his tracks and looked back at me.

"Really? You would go with me?" Disbelief laced his tone.

"As long as you protect me." I added cheekily.

"When it comes to you Kyu, I don't mind doing anything." Donghae stared into my eyes, as if he could read my soul.

Goosebumps formed on my arm and I shivered at the intensity from his stare. 

Donghae changed the subject after that weird moment passed. "So, what colour are you going to wear? We need to match!" He exclaimed.

I smiled at his childlike excitement and couldn't help feeling excited too. "How about white? I'll wear a black suit plus a black tie so you have to get the same!"

Donghae nodded his head rapidly but I was shocked. I purposely made that request to see his reaction. Donghae hated black as he said it was too dull for his bright personality but he was willing to wear it for me? I shook my head. Nobody would do anything for me. But then Donghae did say he didn't mind doing anything when it comes to me after all. My feelings for the adorable boy grew but I contained it. I will confess at the dance.

I sighed, thinking about that cute memory. My joy was short lived.

It was the night. The night when I would confess.

I grabbed my suit and put on my dress shoes. I looked at myself in the mirror to double check my appearance when the door bell rang.

I rushed down the stairs and opened the door. Dongahe had worn what I imagined him to. He was wearing a black suit and had a black tie. He slightly gelled his hair, giving him an effortlessly chic look.

I smiled at him and linked arms with him.

"Let's go!" I chirped.

Donghae joined me in my enthusiasm and went to open the car door for me. His mum was driving us. I wanted to ask about his dad but i kept my mouth shut.

In the car, music was playing softly and my nerves increased ten fold. What if the same thing happened again? I bit my lip and fiddled with the hem of my dress. Donghae placed his hand over mine and an electrical hum seemed to buzz in the air at our contact. His warm, slightly calloused hand over my small one fit perfectly. 

I glanced at him, comforted by his presence. I snuggled into him and he placed his arm over me. This was crossing our friendship line but after tonight, we'll either be a couple or strangers after my confession that was sure to be rejected.

His mum gushed. "You too are sooooo cute! TAKE PICTURE, kay? Remember arh?" She said in broken English with a heavy Korean accent. I smiled at her.

"Neh. Kamsahamnida." I bowed politely at her. Donghae and his mum looked at me in shock.

"What? You speak Korean?" Donghae looked at me.

"Ermm...just a little bit. After meeting you, I was interested in speaking Korean and learning its culture plus the local food. Besides I am a Korean. It's just that I moved to Singapore when I was very young. " I said shyly.

"Haha, I see. By the way, then that means you have to call me oppa." Donghae teased me.

"Jjinja?" I sighed. "Araso, Hae oppa." 

Donghae's mum giggled at the two of us and I was confused. Oppa was the right word, isn't it?

Donghae leaned closely and adjusted my hair. Once he was finished, he left his hands in my lap ad slowly, ever so slowly, leaned closer to me. My eyes fluttered close and I could feel his hot breath fanning my face.

The car suddenly jerked to a stop and I sprang apart from Donghae. What was I doing? I mentally slapped myself.

Donghae's mum looked back at us and gestured for us to get off the car. "Enjoy yourselves!" She winked at us and I swear a flush formed on Donghae's face.

"Hae oppa, I don't think I can go in now..." I whimpered, completely overwhelmed by nerves.

"It's okay. I'm here." Donghae grabbed my hand and held it. I blushed at the contact and tried to gain strength from it. I nodded my head. "Let's go in then." I whispered.

Donghae tugged me forward gently.

This time, the music stopped again just like 2 years ago. Everybody stared at me. My breathing got heavy and I was trying hard not to faint. I didn't want to ruin the dance for Donghae.

Donghae smiled at everybody and dragged me to the centre.

"There's something I would like to say." He announced.

There were hushed whispers all around and everybody look at us curiously.

Donghae got down on his knee and looked at me.

"Kyu, I know we are young but I have to admit that I can't hold it back any longer. My feeling for you as a friend grew into something much more. When you got that letter from your secret admirer, I was scared that you would leave me and I knew I had to make my move soon. So will you take me as your boyfriend?"

He took out a small box from his pocket and everybody gasped. A ring?! And since when was popular king Donghae gay?

"This isn't what you think it is." He smiled wryly.

"Then what is it, Hae oppa?" Everybody gasped again and I could practically hear what was going on in their minds-Why does Kyuhyun have a nickname for Donghae?

He bit his lip. "You have to answer me first."

Many thoughts raced in my mind but I knew my answer right from the start.

I took a deep breath and whispered, "Yes."

A wave of relief washed over Donghae. "There you go. Open it." He stood up and gave the box to me.

I opened it and there was a ring. It was a simple one. Just a silver band but I saw something engraved on the inside.

Love you forever Kyuhyunnie baby-Hae oppa.

I looked back at him.

"It's a promise ring. A promise that we will be together forever."

I flung my arms around his neck and kissed him lightly on the cheek. I pulled away, blushing.

"Hae oppa, I was also going to confess to you but you beat me to it." I grumbled.

He laughed. "I will always be one step ahead of you so that if you fall, I can catch you." 

"Are you always this cheesy, Hae oppa?" As I said this, he already had his arms around my waist and we were almost hugging. Almost.

"I'm only cheesy for you, Kyu baby."

I smiled wistfully at that flashback. I looked at my fourth finger on my right hand and the silver band was on my finger. I always wore it wherever I went.