Chapter 02

f i r e h o u s e 0 7

Speeding down the highway, Sunggyu looked ahead to see smoke coming from a vehicle that was still meters away. The siren of his fire truck was blaring loudly and all of the cars in front of him moved aside to let the fire trucks of Firehouse 07 through.

Jongin placed his gloves on before taking a closer look at the crash ahead of him.

“It looks like a 3 vehicle crash. I can see someone hanging outside of a window and the engine is on fire.” Frowning, Jongin reached over to his walkie-talkie and began to speak.

“Seungyeon, we’re going to need you and Kyungsoo to be up close to the flames. Injuries have already been spotted.”

“Alright. We’re right behind you guys.”

“We will clear the way for you guys first. Keep the gurney ready. How many people can you take to the hospital at once?” This time it was Sunggyu that spoke through his walkie-talkie. He waited for reply.

“Lieutenant, we have two gurneys available but we can fit more people in our ambulance as long as their injuries aren’t serious.” Kyungsoo replied, speaking so softly that Sunggyu almost did not hear him.

“Good. We’re almost to the crash site. See you there.”

Once their fire truck reached the incident, Sunggyu and Jongin immediately got out and ran over to the burning vehicle. Jongin could see that there was an unconscious person left in the driver’s side. It appeared to be a young man and in the passenger seat was an older man who was awake.

“Jo! We have to rip the doors off the car! One victim has his legs crushed from the front of the car.” Sunggyu called over and the young firefighter nodded, grabbing his equipment.

“Are you okay? Can you move?” Jongin kneeled to speak to the old man, hoping that he was uninjured.

“I can’t move my leg, it’s stuck! But my son, please save my son! He’s bleeding and he… he…” The old man panicked before he suddenly passed out.

“We got a survivor over here! She’s got a broken arm but no neck or leg injuries.” Seungho yelled as he guided a woman out of another car. He brought her over to ambulance and Kyungsoo quickly checked her arm.

“Just a broken arm, don’t worry. I’ll put a splint on it at first, but we’ll have to take you to the hospital. Were you travelling alone?” The young paramedic carefully held the woman’s arm and applied the splint to it to keep the position of the bone still. She didn’t seem to have any other visible injuries as far as Kyungsoo could see.

“Yes, I was travelling alone… I saw what happened and accidentally crashed into the car on fire. The car that’s on fire was trying to make a U-turn but was hit by another car.” The woman explained what had happened and Kyungsoo nodded, standing up after the splint was applied.

“Thank you for telling me. Let’s get you in here now, just sit here for a bit.” He helped her into the backside of the ambulance and directed her to sit on the bench located inside.

“One car is clear. We need to get the people out of the other two cars first.” Hyun Joong’s voice rang throughout everyone’s walkie-talkies. He was checking over the first car that was already cleared.

“Choi! We’ve got a family in this car here! There’s an unconscious woman in the front seat and two children in the back!” Junyoung yelled over to Junhong who quickly ran over. Using what seemed to be a small axe, Junhong broke through the glass of the passenger side window. Reaching inside, Junhong opened the door and looked back towards the children.

“Hey kids, are you guys alright back there? Is anyone bleeding or hurt?” He tried his best to inspect two children, but could not get a clear visual.

“W-we’re o-okay… But mom! Mom is bleeding from her head!” One child spoke up and Junyoung ran over to the driver’s side to see the woman.

“We’ll get your mom out of here, don’t worry. Can you guys move your arms and legs?” Junhong asked the children again and they nodded.

“I want you to cover your head with your hands, okay? I have to break through the back window and there will be glass everywhere. Cover your eyes and try to cover all your skin.”

The two children did what the firefighter told them and Junhong took out his small axe once again. Crawling onto the trunk of the car, Junhong broke through the back window’s glass and stared down at the children.

“Come on, you two. I’ll bring you over to the ambulance and then I’ll get your mom out, okay?” Junhong pulled one child out at a time and held their hands as he brought them over to Seungyeon.

“No apparent injuries, but their mother might need the gurney. Junyoung is working on getting her out now.”

Seungyeon nodded before turning her attention towards the two kids in front of her. The older child was a girl and she had her arm around her younger sibling, a boy.

“Can you guys sit here in the ambulance while I go get your mom? I’ll be right back and my partner, Kyungsoo, will check to make sure you are alright.”

Seungyeon left the kids with Kyungsoo and pulled the gurney out of the ambulance. She rushed over to the car with the unconscious mother and watched as Junyoung pried the driver’s side door open using a heavy tool. He stepped aside once the door was open and Seungyeon leaned in to check the driver. She brought her hands up to the woman’s neck and felt a strange gap in the bones.

“I think she has a neck injury. Junyoung, hand me the neck brace!” Seungyeon reached out and felt that Junyoung already had a neck brace ready for her. She carefully wrapped the neck brace around the woman’s neck and stepped back, nodding to the firefighter.

“We need to get her onto the gurney, but I can’t be sure of any other injuries. Just make sure her neck is supported when you hold onto her. I’ll carry her legs and you grab her arms.”

Junyoung nodded and reached into the car, carefully pulling the woman out by holding her arms. Seungyeon grabbed the woman’s legs and then carefully placed her on the gurney. The paramedic strapped the woman in place and began pushing the gurney back over to the ambulance.

“Han! There is another ambulance from a hospital coming here now. I want you to take the victims from the first two cars to the hospital now because we don’t know how bad their conditions are. That’s an order.” Hyun Joong yelled over to her and she nodded in reply. With the help of Kyungsoo, Seungyeon was able to get the gurney back onto the ambulance.

“You stay back here and I’ll drive. Watch this woman’s neck carefully; we may have a severe neck injury here.”

Seungyeon jumped out of the back of the ambulance and shut the doors. She took one last glance at the remaining car and shook her head, rushing over to the driver’s side.

“Nam Woohyun! Don’t open the cover of the engine until we get both men out of this car!” Sunggyu said, staring at the firefighter that had a crowbar already in his hands.

“Yang and Choi, focus on the driver! Jongin and Sunggyu, I want you to get this elderly man out of the car! Jo already pried the doors open.” Hyun Joong gave his command and the firefighters began their work.

Being careful of any injuries, the firefighters pulled the men out of the car without any trouble. The ambulance from another hospital had arrived just in time and the paramedics quickly took away the two men.

“Jo and Nam, open up the engine cover. Moon has a hose ready to douse this thing.” Jongin stepped back as he spoke, watching the flames get bigger. Youngmin and Woohyun lifted up the cover using their crowbars and from behind them, Junyoung began to spray water all over the car.

The fire died quickly and all of the firefighters took a step forward to look into the engine. They all took of their hats and masks, examining the engine carefully. Reaching forward, Jongin noticed something inscribed onto the engine of the car. He ran his gloved hand over the marking and looked closer.

9411

“That’s your badge number, isn’t it?” Hyun Joong asked quietly, looking back and forth between the engine and his lieutenant.

“…Yes, sir…” Jongin nodded slowly with a dazed look in his eyes, before stepping back and falling onto his knees.

Nothing was making sense to him anymore. 

;; 

oh nooooooooooo