Maybe It's Love

Maybe It's Love

To: Yixing, Baozi, Tao, Duizhang, Joonmyeon, Jongin, Jongdae, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Sheen

From: Lu Han

Looking for: a daylong companion.

Requirements: doesn't mind being surrounded by fangirls and fanboys.

Reward: I'm a magical being and I can grant you lifelong happiness.

Lu Han crosses his fingers as he eyes his phone. He has sent an SOS message to his friends. He needs one of them to accompany him to the TVXQ fan signing event happening today. His companion backed out at the last minute and he doesn't want to go alone.

He immediately receives two messages.

To: Lu Han

From: Duizhang

Sorry. Goin' out with Tao.

To: Lu Han

From: Tao

Sorry. Goin' out with Yifan.

He huffs. "I'm pretty sure Yifan sent both messages," he says with a hint of annoyance in his voice. He rolls over on his stomach and dramatically places his head on his pillow. His phone beeps.

To: Lu Han

From: Yixing

Dance practice. Sorry. :< can't you go alon?

The whole message is written in Chinese except for the word alone. He glares at the offending object and presses call. When the person on the other line picks up, he starts sobbing.

Yixing, however, doesn't buy it. "Shut up, Lu Han. I'm not going to cancel my dance practice for TVXQ."

He immediately stops his act. "You sounded so kind in your text message. Can you not cancel it for me?"

"No."

"Some best friend you are."

"I'm hanging up now."

"You're going to regret this!"

"Bye, Lu Han."

"You spelled alone incorrectly! You forgot the e!"

He is met with the dial-tone. He curses under his breath. "Stupid best friend." His phone beeps three times and he reads the messages one by one.

To: Lu Han

From: Baozi

Date w/ Jongdae. U forgot?

To: Lu Han

From: Jongdae

I'm surprised Minseok still hasn't told you about our date.

He groans. He can't believe he forgot about the date.

To: Lu Han

From: Jongin

ill be meeting kyungsoos parents 2nite sry

He rolls his eyes at Jongin's message. He meets Kyungsoo's parents every Saturday night. His phone beeps twice again.

To: Lu Han

From: Joonmyeon

My dad's dragging me to one of his lectures. I'll be out the whole day. I'm really sorry, hyung.

To: Lu Han

From: Kyungsoo

I have a family dinner with Jongin tonight. I'm sorry, hyung.

He sighs. He doesn't have any friends. "That leaves Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Sehun. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are most likely being lovey-dovey right now, which will make it impossible for them to reply." He grins evilly. "But Sehun can't say no. Not to me."

He gets up from his head and grabs his wallet. He's going to drag Sehun with him, whether he likes it or not. He can't keep the smile off his face. He tells himself that it's because he's going to see his TVXQ hyung deul and not because he's going to spend the day with Sehun.

xxxxx

Sehun stares at his phone and reads Lu Han's message over and over again.

To: Sehun

From: Xiao Lu

Looking for: a daylong companion.

Requirements: doesn't mind being surrounded by fangirls and fanboys.

Reward: I'm a magical being and I can grant you lifelong happiness.

He shudders in disgust. He hates fangirls and fanboys in general. When he was still in high-school, he had his own fan club. There was an incident when he was chased from the locker room to the streets of Myeongdong. Half-. It all started when he was changing in the locker room, but he forgot to close the door. A fangirl peeked inside and caused a ruckus.

He slightly remembers that Lu Han was amongst the fangirls who were after him. He doesn't know why. Or maybe it's just his hyped up imagination caused by his crazy infatuation.

But lately, he's been thinking that it's not just that. Maybe, it's love.

He sighs as he chooses to ignore Lu Han's message. Lu Han, unfortunately, is one of those deranged fans. He never misses a TVXQ concert in Korea or China. He stays up to wait for the premier of the group's newest music video. He goes to every album launching and fan signing event.

He's assuming that, since the group recently released a new album, the event Lu Han wants to attend today is a fan signing one. But he doesn't want to go. He's had so many bad experiences with fans that he doesn't want to interact with them any further. Except for Lu Han. That boy is a special case.

He rolls around his bed until he finds a good enough spot. He stares at the ceiling and his eyes slowly droop close.

He is jolted awake by the ringing of his doorbell. He waits for a few moments and blinks the sleep out of his eyes. He grudgingly stands and marches out of the room. Before he opens the door, he takes a look at the peephole. He almost drops unconscious on the floor when he sees beautiful doe eyes staring at him. He shakes his head and wills for the pretty fairy to leave. But when he looks again, he's still there. He takes in his outfit and groans.

Lu Han is decked in his official fan shirt, a red shirt with TVXQ and Cassiopeia written obnoxiously in front, and he looks downright adorable.

He contemplates if he has to open the door or not. He decides not to open it just yet and instead, he watches the boy through the peephole. He looks, fascinated, as the boy's expression changes from pleasant to annoyed to outraged. He sees him fumble for his phone and dial a number. He hears his phone ring and he realizes that it's his number Lu Han dialed.

He opens the door with a sheepish grin. "Hi, Xiao Lu."

"What took you so long?" the smaller boy whines. He enters the apartment and plops down on the couch, occupying the whole of it. "We're leaving in fifteen."

Sehun closes the door and walks to his couch. He raises Lu Han's legs, sits down, and settles them on his. "Why?"

"I know you've read my message. Don't play dumb."

"I don't want to go."

Lu Han sits up and grabs Sehun's face so that the younger is facing him. He does his best aegyo.

"Foul," Sehun says with distaste. "You're so old. It doesn't suit you. You can't make me go with your aegyo. Nope. Not at all."

xxxxx

Sehun cringes as Lu Han screams along with the other fans who are also wearing red shirts. Sehun is also wearing a fan shirt, provided by Lu Han. There is a very long line outside the venue and those in line are screaming as if their lives depended on it. Lu Han tugs Sehun to the front of the line.

"Why are you cutting the line?" Sehun asks nervously. He fears the wrath of fangirls and fanboys.

Lu Han giddily raises the ID he is wearing.

Lu Han

Cassiopeia

Officer of Gyeonggi-do Chapter

Sehun stares at the identification card Lu Han is showing him, trying to figure out if his eyes are playing tricks on him. After a while, he finally asks, "Are you telling me you're an officer?"

"Yes!" Lu Han says proudly. "So I have special access when it comes to events that are held in my chapter. I'm part of the Gyeonggi-do chapter and this is Gyeonggi-do so..."

Sehun puts two and two together and he realizes that it doesn't matter if Lu Han lines up or not. "How come you never told us about that?"

The older boy pouts and crosses his arms. "I've told you countless times. You guys are just too busy talking about other stuff to listen to me."

Sehun realizes that maybe he's not giving Lu Han the attention he deserves. "Sorry," he says sincerely.

Lu Han smiles so widely and tugs at Sehun's heartstrings. "You're forgiven! Now, let's go! I want to go backstage first."

Sehun raises his eyebrow at him. "You can do that?"

"Nope, but I'm going to do it anyway."

xxxxx

Sehun isn't a very sensitive person, but his ears are. The loud noise the fans are making are making him sick and grumpy. "How long will this take?" he asks.

Lu Han isn't quite as cheerful as before. He couldn't sneak inside the dressing room of Yunho. "Five hours at the most."

He groans quietly, but it doesn't escape Lu Han's hearing. "Are you tired?" the older boy asks.

He can't figure out if the other is annoyed because he's being such a wuss. "No," he lies. "The noise is just bothering me a bit." That part isn't a lie.

Lu Han smiles and tries to pull him away from his seat. "Let's go, then."

His eyes widen and he shakes his head. "No. The event hasn't even started yet."

But Lu Han doesn't sit back down. He just keeps on tugging to pry him off his seat. "Come on, Sehunnie. Be a good dongsaeng to your hyung."

"No. We're staying, hyung."

"Why are you so stubborn?" He glares at the taller boy.

"You're even more stubborn than I am. We didn't come all the way here just to leave ten minutes before the event starts." He returns the glare and pulls the older boy back to his seat. "Be a good hyung to your dongsaeng."

Sehun expects him to pout and turn his back on him. He expects him to give him the silent treatment. But what he gets is something far from what he imagined. Lu Han plugs his earphones in his ears. A soulful melody starts to play and blocks the noise inside the venue. A soothing voice accompanies the wonderful melody and together, they create a beautiful harmony that resonates in his heart.

Despite not understanding the lyrics, he feels like he's flying. As the song serenades him, he unconsciously leans on Lu Han's shoulder and drifts off to a blissful dream in the clouds. The song ends and he opens his eyes. He takes a look at the older boy he's known for a long time and he realizes that their time together has been short. "I want to spend eternity with you."

Lu Han blinks and throws him a questioning glance. "I'm sorry. I didn't quite hear that. Do you mind repeating it?"

Sehun opens his mouth to speak, but words don't come out. He just shakes his head and says, "The song is really nice. I like it."

The older boy's face falls, but Sehun doesn't notice it. "I... I see. Do you want to listen to my other covers?"

His jaw slackens and he gapes at his friend. "You were the one singing?"

Lu Han grins and nods.

xxxxx

Sehun pulls Lu Han back to his seat. He looks at the younger boy who is frowning, making him look older than he really is. So he pulls out his mp3 and earphones. All the songs in the mp3 are his covers. He chooses one of his favorites, Eternal by DBSK.

He puts the earphones on Sehun's and watches him carefully. The song starts and the younger boy closes his eyes and leans on his shoulder. He looks like he's having a really good dream. A pretty blush taints his cheeks as he continues to stare at the wondrous beauty sitting beside him.

He's always just ignored the thunderous beating of his heart, but this time around, he can't. He knows that it's something different, something he's never felt before. He doesn't feel that way whenever he sees his TVXQ hyung deul. The last time he felt something remotely similar to this was when he had his first girlfriend, but that was ages ago. And the beating of his heart was slower and quieter. Unlike now.

If someone talks to him now, he's sure that he won't comprehend what he or she has to say. Not when Sehun's snugly dreaming on his shoulder with an angelic smile and a peaceful aura. Not when the butterflies in his stomach are fluttering helplessly. Not when fireworks are exploding in his chest.

He sighs. He keeps watching him until the song ends. He knows the last notes of the song have been played when Sehun opens his eyes, sits up, and stares at him. "I want to spend eternity with you."

He doesn't know if he heard it right, so he asks him to repeat what he said. His face falls when he realizes that he did hear it wrongly. He cheers up immediately when Sehun says he likes the song. He doesn't know how long they have been staring at each other, but he feels like only a few seconds have passed.

They are brought back to the world when the MC announces the arrival of TVXQ. Lu Han grins and raises his banner, but he doesn't scream. He's sitting beside the most special person to him and he can't ask for anything more.

Maybe, he's in love.

xxxxx

They leave earlier than planned. The event is still going on, but they sneak out. They catch a bus headed to Lotte World.

"Are you sure you're alright with not finishing the event?" Sehun asks worriedly. Lu Han seems chipper, but he still wants to take extra precautions.

"I''m sure! Besides, I've already gotten my new album signed." He brandishes the said album with a huge grin to assure him.

"But where are we going?" Sehun looks at him in a confused manner. As cherubic as Lu Han looks, he's also quite the devil. Very much like their other friend, Kyungsoo. "This bus will take us to Lotte World." He's worried that Lu Han is now plotting his death. It's easy to pin the blame on the seatbelt if he falls off the roller coaster. But still, he thinks, even if he kills me, it's okay. I'll forgive him. It's my fault anyway.

"Exactly." Lu Han grins at him. "I'm going to make you happy. That's your reward for coming with me today. We're going to ride rides and play games and stuff ourselves full with cotton candy!"

Sehun thinks that he doesn't need to do anything spectacular because having him beside him is already an extraordinary experience and it already makes him happy. But he's not going to say no to spending more time with him. "Are you sure you want to ride a roller coaster though? Or a ferris wheel?"

The older boy makes a face. "Don't make fun of me just because I'm scared of heights. I'm manly."

Sehun smiles at him fondly. He raises his hands in mock-surrender and agrees, "Fine. You're manly."

xxxxx

They both prove that they're both not that manly.

Once they reach the theme park, they race each other to the haunted house.

"It's time to test our manliness!" Lu Han claims. "The first person who screams will pay for lunch!"

Sehun agrees, not just to humor him, but because he wants to test his manliness. They enter the house together. Lu Han instinctively grabs Sehun's hand and the latter tries not to blush. "Scared?" he jokes.

The faint green light (fortunately) hides the older boy's reddening cheeks. "Shut up. I'm just checking if your hand is sweaty. And by the way, it is." But he still doesn't let go.

They walk in silence and they pass by a whole corridor and Sehun decides that he likes the way Lu Han's hand fits his. It's perfect, he thinks.

That's when the first surprise comes and Sehun is still lost in his thoughts. A corpse dummy falls from the ceiling and both boys scream. After a few minutes of intense screaming, they stop. Lu Han looks at him with tear-filled eyes. He reassures him with a gentle smile and gentle words. "I'm here. I won't leave you. We'll go through this together." He squeezes his hand.

Lu Han nods and sniffs. "Okay. Let's go."

Halfway through the horror house, they start having fun. After a while, they see a huge sign that says, "EXIT." It hangs by the door, signifying the end of the ride. Lu Han sees this as his salvation. He lets go of Sehun's hand and runs towards the door. Before he reaches it, a wall falls and a monster-like creature bursts out of it, leaving Lu Han on the floor, traumatized. He doesn't move from his spot even when the character goes back to hiding behind the wall, ready to terrorize other guests--victims.

A laughing Sehun comes to his side and helps him up. "That's what you get for leaving me," he chides.

Lu Han stumbles out of the horror house with the younger boy's help. When the other attractions of the park reaches his eyes, he sighs in relief and hugs him. "I'm glad it's over."

He awkwardly pats Lu Han's back. "There, there."

"You must think I'm a wimp." He mock-glares and pouts at Sehun.

Before Sehun can control himself, he says, "I think you're adorable."

A flustered Lu Han turns away and heads to the food court. He sees Sehun marching beside him so he says, "You're paying for the food."

The taller boy sputters, "Excuse me?"

"I was more scared, but you screamed first."

He stops walking and pulls Lu Han to a stop too. He crosses his arms. "I did not."

"Yes, you did."

"I so did not scream first!"

"Ssh, Sehun-ah. You don't want people to know you screamed, do you?"

"I did not scream inside the haunted house!"

People around them stop what they're doing and stare at them. A group of high-school girls start giggling and soon, Lu Han joins them, bursting into joyous laughter. Sehun gapes at him, feeling betrayed. But when he sees him laughing like there's no tomorrow, he ends up laughing too. Not because of his stupidity, but because he's happy. Lu Han makes him happy. Lu Han is his happiness

xxxxx

Sehun ends up buying their lunch. Lu Han's happily eating his hotdog while munching on nachos. Sehun just watches him eating, taking a bite of his pizza once in a while.

Lu Han notices Sehun staring when he has eaten three-quarters of his hotdog sandwich. He sets it down on the table and frowns.

Sehun senses the change of attitude. "Lu, are you okay?"

"Yeah, but are you? I'm supposed to make you happy. I feel like I'm the only one having fun."

The younger boy takes his hand and squeezes it affectionately. "Hey, hey. Don't say that. I'm happy. I can't remember another time when I was this happy."

A new song starts to play as they stare at each other's eyes. Your hand fits in mine like it's made just for me. But bear this in mind, it was meant to be.

Lu Han shifts his hand so that he's holding the other boy's hand too. "That's good. I really want to make you happy." Because, Lu Han thinks, his happiness is my happiness. He is my happiness.

xxxxx

They go to ride the Camelot Carrousel after the Bumper Car and Drunken Basket. Lu Han insists on riding it simply because it was on Stairway to Heaven. The Chinese cutie is a er for Korean dramas (and idols). Sehun has no choice but to agree, although he puts up a fight.

"I am not riding that thing. I'll take photos of you, but I will not ride that."

"Please."

"No. It's for kids."

Lu Han glares at him. "You do not know what you're saying."

"Actually, I do. Now go and enjoy the ride, kid."

"How dare you? I'm your hyung."

Lu Han doesn't let him speak anymore and just drags him to the entrance of the ride. "It's going to be fun. I promise."

Sehun sighs deeply, as if he's really troubled. "Fine, hyung. But what are you going to do if I don't enjoy it?"

Sehun ends up enjoying it, but he's not going to let Lu Han know. The horse he's riding goes up and down throughout the whole ride while the whole carrousel rotates. It feels nice to act like a kid again. It feels nice to watch Lu Han's eyes light up whenever his horse goes up (and it does that a lot). It feels nice to be with Lu Han.

Since Lu Han had the liberty to choose their previous ride, he's tasked to pick the next. He wants to go ride a roller coaster, but he thinks Lu Han isn't ready for it yet. However, the older boy sees the longing in his eyes whenever they pass by the Atlantis. He gathers his courage and drags Sehun to the ride by the hand.

"Hey, I'll choose our..." Sehun stops when he sees that they are standing in line for the roller coaster. He sends a worried look to the boy. "Lu, we don't have to ride this. We can-"

"My mission is to make you happy! We're going to ride this whether I like it or not," he says with a hint of nervousness in his voice.

"I'm already happy."

He doesn't answer and just tugs the taller boy to the ride once they have been admitted. He pushes the boy to the seat and sits beside him. The attendant helps them buckle their seat belts. The operator tells them to get ready.

Sehun takes his hand and smiles at him encouragingly. "Just close your eyes and hold my hand."

"Don't ever let me go?"

"Never ever."

He takes a deep breath as the ride starts to move. Slowly at first, then it gains speed. It goes up and up and Lu Han closes his eyes because he feels like he's going to die. The coaster stops going up, but it takes a turn. Suddenly, he's overcome with a falling sensation. He hears Sehun screaming happily and he feels Sehun's hand clasping his. He realizes that he wants to take part in the things Sehun enjoys. He wants to be a part of his life.

He takes another deep breath and slowly opens his eyes. He takes a look at Sehun and then around. The ride is going fast, too fast. He is scared, but he feels safe. He has Sehun and that's all that matters to him.

The ride ends and Lu Han stands, his knees feeling wobbly. He falls into Sehun's arms. The younger boy is chuckling softly and he engulfs the smaller boy in a hug. "Thank you, hyung. And I'm so proud of you. I can't believe you opened your eyes."

He hugs--clings to--him and lets out a breath. He's still afraid of heights. He doesn't know when he'll stop fearing heights. But he has Sehun to make him feel safe and he's fine with that.

And he realizes that he's willing to do just about anything for Sehun.

xxxxx

They take things mildly after the roller coaster ride. They go skating on the ice rink, Lu Han teaching Sehun because the boy may be a dancer, but he can't balance himself on ice. At all.

They eat cotton candy afterwards and they go on the Bumper Car again because it's Sehun's ambition to become a race track driver. They play games and Lu Han watches as Sehun tries to win plushies for him.

"You ," Lu Han states the obvious. "You really, really, really ."

Sehun sighs in defeat as he puts down the water gun. "I'm almost as good as Jongin when it comes to video games."

"Yeah, but you at these games." Lu Han elbows him lightly and instructs, "Move away, loser. Let me show you how it's done." He pays for another game and takes the water gun. He aims at the moving heads and in a minute, he manages to take down seven. He only needs to take down five to get the grand prize. Lu Han dances a little victory dance and sends a pouting Sehun a raspberry.

The game master smiles and hands the biggest Pororo to him.

Lu Han takes it and hugs it to his chest. He then hands it to Sehun who brightens up immediately. "Because you're a er for Pororo," he says. Because I like you, he wants to say.

"You two are really a cute couple," the game master remarks.

Two pairs of eyes widen and they both sputter as they try to explain that they are not a couple. The woman waves her hand. "Nonsense. I can see the way you look at each other. If you aren't a couple now, it will only take little time before you are. About a few hours. A week, tops."

The two look at each other with red cheeks. They mumble a soft thanks and goodbye to the woman who keeps on sending them weird smiles and eyebrow wiggles.

Fortunately, things don't become awkward around them. They buy bubble tea and Lu Han says, "You're a er for bubble tea and Pororo."

And you, Sehun wants to add. They walk by the ferris wheel which looks so beautiful especially in the night sky. Sehun looks at the line composed of couples, parents and children, couples, and more couples.

"Sehun-ah," Lu Han softly calls out, tugging on the younger boy's sleeve. "Do you want to ride that?"

Sehun blinks at him and shakes his head. "No."

"Don't lie to me."

Doe eyes prodded him and he reluctantly says, "Yeah. But we don't have to ride it if you don't want to!"

Lu Han smiles at him. "But I actually want to ride it. Come on!"

They stand in line behind some couples. Behind them is a family of three. They look kind enough and the little girl is adorable.

Sehun thinks it's awkward to stand there with his boy friend Lu Han, but he doesn't feel an ounce of awkwardness. Lu Han, being the adorable person he is, is crouching on the floor and talking to the little girl. After a few minutes, he takes the little girl in his arms and Sehun can't help but imagine their future together. They will have lots of kids and they will name them after flowers and-

"Oppa, are you his boyfriend?" the little girl asks him.

He stops breathing and his heart starts beating so fast. "Uh," is his intelligent answer. Lu Han isn't any better. He looks like he can drop the kid at any moment because he's too nervous.

The young mother laughs and says, "Darling, don't they look good together?"

Sehun gawks at the mother. He turns to look at the father, asking for help. But the man just shrugs.

The little girl nods happily and pinches Lu Han's cheeks. "I wish I have two dads too." She turns to her dad and asks seriously, "Daddy, why didn't you marry another man?"

The two expect the father to grimace or do something that shows disgust, but the man just chuckles and says, "I fell in love with your mother. We are fated, you know?"

The woman giggles and takes her husband's hand.

Sehun feels like vomiting because he is extremely embarrassed and the young parents are too sweet. As if your thoughts about Lu Han aren't as sweet, his subconscious says.

"Are you and him fated too?" the girl asks Lu Han.

He looks at Lu Han who is blushing, but he's smiling. He doesn't hear his answer, but his gut tells him that he said yes.

Lu Han puts down the little girl as they near the entrance of the ride. They say goodbye when they enter the ferris wheel cart. They start going up and Lu Han starts to shake. Sehun takes his hand and squeezes it. The older boy slowly stops shaking.

"Relax," Sehun tells him in a soothing voice.

Lu Han nods and turns his attention outside. He marvels at the night sky. The shining stars laugh and the full moon smiles. "It's so beautiful."

"You're much more beautiful," Sehun blurts out.

The older boy looks at him with wide eyes. Then he starts to laugh. Sehun laughs halfheartedly with him. "Did you have fun?" Lu Han asks him.

"I did. I'm going to treasure this memory forever. So this is what you mean by lifelong happiness, huh? Because someday, when I look back and remember this day, I know I will be happy." Sehun smiles at him gently.

Lu Han takes a deep and breath and holds the other's hand tightly. "Actually, I can give you something more than that."

Sehun his head to the side. "And that is?"

"A new memory every single day, for eternity. Oh Sehun, I don't know when I started feeling this way, but I want you to know that I really, really, really like you. I-I don't know if you feel the same way, but from your actions, I can feel that you do. But maybe I'm wrong because I'm not always right." He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. He waits for what seemed like forever until he feels a gentle hand on his cheek.

"I really, really, really like you, too."

He opens his eyes and sees Sehun only a few inches away from him. The boy's eyes sparkle with, he dares to say, love. He leans in and places a sweet and delicate kiss on Sehun's lips.

Sehun stands up and the ride wobbles a bit. He settles down beside Lu Han and hugs him. "Earlier, after I listened to your song, you asked me to repeat what I said. I lied. What I really said was that I wanted to spend eternity with you. And I still do."

Lu Han laughs and leans on Sehun's chest. "Maybe... We're fated."

The taller boy hums and leans on Lu Han's head. He decides that the smell of his hair is now his favorite fragrance. They sit in silence for a while.

"Do you know what this is?" Lu Han asks softly. He turns his head to look at him.

Sehun sends him a loving smile. "Maybe it's love."

Lu Han returns the smile. "It is love."