iii & iv

N for Non-Committal

Step 3: Never include him in your future plans.

The first time Naeun had entered Myungsoo’s home was while both of them were having a fierce battle of the tongues, and they headed straight to the bedroom, so Naeun didn’t actually manage to catch a glimpse of the hall. She was feeling way too intense with her hormones rocketing sky high, and she only vaguely remembered bumping into a wall while Myungsoo was fumbling his (their) way in to the bedroom, his strong arms supporting her weight. The next morning she was so groggy and exhausted from the ‘workout’ that she didn’t even bother to look around the house.

And that explained why she was so excited to be in his home this time, although it wasn’t her first. After the whole bamboo-pillow-fiasco, Myungsoo decided to fix something for the two of them to eat (Naeun’s stomach had growled embarrassingly). While she was still trying to get over her embarrassment, Myungsoo was in the kitchen; apron on, knife in hand, counter full of ingredients, and he was ready to whip some good food up.

To Eunji

Dude, this is so embarrassing! My stomach decided to betray me in front of my hottie B.

From Naeun

To Naeun

HAHAHAHAHAH oh my god HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

From Eunji

To Naeun

Anyway just act like nothing happened HAHAHAHAHA

From Eunji

So Naeun heeded her best friend’s advice and skipped into the kitchen, humming the tune of a song she recently heard. She probably didn’t know until now, but oh my, a man’s back was one of the iest images ever. Plus, he was wearing an apron! That made his back view stand out even more. Jesus, could Myungsoo get any hotter? Naeun took a deep breath before walking towards him to peek at the contents in the frying pan he was wielding.

“It’s going to be done soon, just wait for a little while.” Myungsoo grinned as soon as he saw her, not forgetting to sneak a peck on the cheek. Naeun wasn't sure how red she was, but she was sure she definitely couldn’t let Myungsoo see how flustered she was right now over a little kiss on the cheek.

Naeun had no idea how Myungsoo was able to whip up a kimchi stew and potato pancakes within 45 minutes; he must be some kind of cooking prodigy, Naeun decided. Plus, everything he made was delicious! She just couldn’t comprehend. She couldn’t cook to save her life, while to him cooking was as easy as 1 + 1.

“Your place is really nice, really fits your style.” She commented while bringing a spoonful of stew to .

Myungsoo’s grin got wider, “yeah. I designed the interior myself. Slick, isn’t it? Been living here for 5 years. Don’t think I’ll get sick of this place anytime soon, either.”

Truthfully, she was never too fond of apartments, but since Myungsoo was living in one (and seemed to love living in one), she decided her dream newlywed home would be switched to an urban-style apartment. Yeah, it just wouldn’t work out if she were to enforce her belief in living in a cozy brick house with a nice little yard. Nope. Non-committal or otherwise, she was, in reality, already thinking (dreaming?) of marrying Myungsoo.

So when Myungsoo asked her what kind of house she’d like to live in with him, she answered without hesitance, “Huh? Who said I’m going to live with you? But well, I’d want to live in an apartment with my future husband.” She nodded firmly.

“Really? I always thought it would be nice to live in a brick house, with a yard and a garden. Imagine how cozy and warm it must be.”

Naeun almost choked. So Myungsoo’s dream house was the same as hers, after all!

“That’s cool, too.” She said vaguely, sounding disinterested. Her mind was, after all, preoccupied with the thoughts of her own stupidity.

“So, how many kids do you think we’ll have?” Myungsoo asked while chewing on a piece of potato pancake.

“What? I wouldn’t know!” Naeun was half mortified, half happy over that question. Did that mean he genuinely saw her in his future? Well, whatever. She reminded herself to stick to her non-committal plan.

“Then, how many kids do you think we should have? I think two is fine; a boy and a girl.” His impish smile made him seem even cuter but Naeun couldn’t be bothered by it right now.

“I— none! I’m leaving if you won’t stop talking about this.” She muttered crossly (although she was quite delighted to continue).

Myungsoo chuckled in amusement. Naeun was just so lovable.

 

Step 4: Spend more time with the girls than with him

To Naeun

Date tonight? x

From Myungsoo

To Myungsoo

Sure.

From Naeun

It had taken her a good five minutes to decide if she should type in an ‘x’ behind her short reply (obviously, she decided against it because she might seem too in love, whatever.) It had also taken her 99% of her willpower to not have Myungsoo’s name as ‘darling’, ‘honey’ whatsoever on her contact list. Not even ‘Myungsoo ♥’, was an acceptable name. Non-committal relationship, remember?

Her phone buzzed once more, and she picked it up in excitement, her minded clouded with the thoughts of seeing Myungsoo tonight. He sure replies fast. She noted mentally— wait, no.

The buzzing sound had signified a notification, a new message; but it was not from Myungsoo.

To Naeun

Aye! The girls and I are hittin’ the newly opened club at Gangnam tonight. Join us! xoxo

From Eunji

To Eunji

Draft: Can’t, I’ve got plans with Myungsoo tonight. Sorry. Have fun!

From Naeun

She stared at the not-yet-sent reply, pondering whether she should cancel the date with Myungsoo or not. And then she concluded that since Rule 1 of being a non-committal lady was to prioritize her friends, she quickly erased the draft of her reply to Eunji.

To Eunji

Of course! Count me in. We’re gonna have a blast! x

From Naeun

To Myungsoo

Actually, can’t make it tonight, soz. Some other day perhaps?

From Naeun

To Naeun

Uh, sure. Miss you, babe.

From Myungsoo

Naeun could have sworn that if she wasn’t sitting in a room filled with at least ten other co-workers, she would have started having a spasm out of the sheer excitement and joy that was rapidly coursing through her veins at that very moment. Myungsoo always knew what to say.

To Myungsoo

Me too.

From Naeun

Smilingly, she pressed the lock button on her phone and slid the device onto her desk, her mind running between what to wear later and what Myungsoo had just sent to her (obviously, she was mostly thinking about her boyfriend, but she wasn’t going to admit that.)

The remainder of office hours passed by quicker than usual for Naeun and now she was on her way to meet Eunji and the rest of the gang. Somehow, she was rather saddened by the thought of sacrificing her date with Myungsoo, but then again, he probably had declined date nights more than he actually experienced being the one getting refusals. And Naeun wanted him to taste the feeling of having to face rejection. Though, why did it feel like she was the one getting rejected instead? This was bad.

Naeun had come to like (love?) Myungsoo more than she should (those treacherous feelings had developed so quickly she wasn’t able to adjust), and she wasn’t certain if she could keep on hiding it any longer. That, and she probably wouldn’t be able to play the non-committal lady role anymore soon.

“Naeun baby!” The shrill sound of Eunji’s voice, accompanied with a distinguishable Busan accent, rang in her ears. Before she could even open to acknowledge her pal’s presence, Eunji’s bony arm had already been hooked around her neck. Naeun wasn’t surprised at all, all her life she’d known Eunji as an overzealous little lady (who really packed a punch.)

She merely laughed, “Hey, Eunji babe.”

Eunji acknowledged the greeting with a mirthful grin before proceeding to speak, “Chorong and Bomi are already inside, scoping the new place out. I’m sure we’ll have tons of fun, but then you already have a partner, so probably not in your case.” She let out a titter before continuing, “Not that it’s a bad thing; no freedom, that’s all.”

Naeun just shrugged.

She almost cursed upon entering the club. There were only two plausible reasons why she was so uncomfortable with the boisterous surroundings: 1) It’d been a while since she’d been in a club, or 2) She’d been hanging out with Myungsoo who hated loud noises. (Hate might be an understatement) He was, by nature, a rather reticent guy, his voice was pianissimo and mellow and he liked to take her to quiet places; a deserted movie theater, a café in the corner of the street and such. So she was definitely being influenced by Myungsoo.

And now, she was thinking about Myungsoo all over again. She sighed loudly (she really shouldn’t keep thinking of him!), although it was unheard by her companion since the blaring background music had drowned out any noises she made.

Naeun’s momentary reverie was interrupted as Eunji gripped onto her arm tightly, pulling her over to a booth in the corner of the club. Both of them smiled brightly at the sight of Bomi and Chorong, both seemingly having a contest on who could finish a bottle of liquor first. It was a tradition for both of them; this time, they were downing vodka like it was merely water.

Naeun and Eunji both cheered as Bomi and Chorong set down their bottle of vodka simultaneously. Really, no one had any idea why they even competed when even after at least seventeen contests, there was never an official winner.

“Looks like both of you already got a head start,” Eunji nodded, her eyes fixed on the table which was cluttered with dishes containing assorted nuts and at least a dozen of empty shot glasses.

Bomi casually tossed a peanut inside , “Yeah, I totes am digging this place! It’s screaming ‘cute-guy-heaven!’”

“Yes,” Chorong agreed fervently, “that and I’ll bet we’re getting laid tonight!”

“Except me.” Naeun piped in.

“Please,” Eunji said sarcastically, “just show up in Myungsoo’s place dead drunk and bam! You’re definitely going to be up all night ‘working out’.” She let out a snigger at the mere thought while Naeun felt her cheeks burn into an embarrassingly bright red. She could almost feel the heat from her cheeks radiate. Thank goodness dim lighting in clubs existed, or else she’d be teased even further. It wasn’t that she hadn’t slept with him yet, but those indecent thoughts would make any normal lady blush.

In an attempt to abort the hormone-filled conversation, Naeun tugged on Eunji’s arm, “Eunji, should we go get drinks?”

“Oh, sure!” Eunji replied with enthusiasm, although her eyes were fixated somewhere else… on an attractive man at the other side of the cramped place. Naeun fought the urge to roll her eyes at her friend’s natural flirty instincts and made her way to the bar counter. She was certain that Eunji was not going to follow her.

And… she was right! Eunji had already disappeared in the crowd. Naeun vaguely recognized the back of the former’s head, her flaming red hair allowing her to stand out among the populous horde. If she was not wrong, Eunji was flirting (endlessly) with the stranger she’d been staring at.

She shook her head and turned away, smiling at the cute bartender whose name tag read ‘Sunggyu’, “Half a dozen shots of gin tonic, please.”

 

 

Son Naeun, 26, drunk and tired of having to put on an act.

She’d dragged herself, in her drunken state and all, in front of Myungsoo’s front door. Her fists landed straight on the door, pounding hard on the dense material. She wasn’t sure how she’d managed to recall his address, and not even how she’d arrived here in the first place. (She actually almost got beaten up because she forgot to pay her taxi fare earlier, but it’s not like she’d be able to remember this incident anyway.)

Kim Myungsoo, 28, sleepy and about to murder whoever was causing a ruckus outside his apartment.

He dragged himself, in his exhausted self and all, to his front door, not forgetting to take a baton to hit the culprit behind the noise with. His fingers curled around the door latch and he was ready to yell when he realized standing (well, not really. She was trying so hard to stabilize herself) at his door was Naeun. His girlfriend was here, and in an intoxicated state at that. erted thoughts started to creep up his mind—

“Oh dear God, shut up brain.” He erased any notions about banging her senseless in his king sized bed (he had a theory that a woman is the iest when she’s drunk.)

“W-What brings you here?” By now, Naeun had already collapsed into his arms (the thought of his damn theory and drunk Naeun was giving him a hard-on, oh God!) and Myungsoo swore he was the most pitiful man alive right now for having to deal with his wasted girlfriend and a swelling .

“Y-You know!” Naeun looked up at him with half lidded eyes, nearly poking him in the eye with her index finger (he might have gone blind if she actually did; Myungsoo knew those ridiculously long fingernails weren’t going to do any good.) “You’re so stupid, Kim Myungsoo. Haven’t you noticed how much I like you? I was honestly wondering whether I’d explode from having to keep these feelings tucked away! But I guess, I’m the bigger idiot… Why on earth did I even attempt to act like I’m this cool lady who doesn’t care about you when I obviously do? I don’t even want a break-up, so why am I acting like I’m non-committal— oh right! It’s because of you! You, you, you! Kim Myungsoo, you bastard, you’re going to break up with me in the end, aren’t you? I don’t want to lose my pride, so I have to play the game you’re playing… and I won’t ever lose! I’ll break up coolly with you if I have to…” Myungsoo didn’t know whether those were actual tears of sadness, or if her eyes needed some moisture. (What the heck?)

“I am Son Naeun and I like—oh no, I love Kim Myungsoo!” Naeun declared with finality before passing out.

“You idiot,” Myungsoo uttered as he placed her gently down on the futon, “I am Kim Myungsoo and I love Son Naeun, too.”

 

Once upon a time, there were two idiots. They had a queer relationship which involved putting on acts, awkward doodles and falling in love. However, in spite of all the bizarreness, the two fools beat the odds and ended up travelling on a path of infinite forever’s together.

(And yeah, they ended up living a brick house in an area a bit further away from the city, with a little garden which was used to grow herbs and flowers.)