our bright, bright star

次の足跡; Another Step Forward

 

I'm surprised no one noticed :/ 

(wordcount: 2578)


 

 

Happiness has come to Jimin in many forms. Once upon the time it has manifested itself in form of toothy grins and merry twinkling eyes, raspy laughs and deep voice, mildly damaged hair that looks the best dyed orange; right now he finds it puppy-like pouts and crescent-eyed smiles, high-pitched giggles and joy-filled shrieks, the darkest of brown hair that go silky smooth between his fingers.

He also finds that fate works in a funny way, because apparently on the day Taehyung left, Baekhyun was born.

 

 

 

It is incredibly out of character of him – he has always taken birthdays as important – but Jimin only realizes it after quite some time, almost a year after Baekhyun legally moves in, when the kid comes home with a couple of nicely wrapped presents and a smile that is brighter than any other day.

“What’s these for?” Jimin has been genuinely curious.

“They did a surprise birthday party just now at school,” Baekhyun answers casually as he puts away his things; he always behaves better when he’s happy. “It was combined with Jihoo’s, because my birthday is on the weekend.”

His answer taps something in Jimin and there is some kind of premonition when the man asks, “When is your birthday again?”

For a moment Baekhyun looks almost offended, but Jimin flashes his most apologetic look and so he relents. Yoongi and Jimin have taken to call Baekhyun their beagle, but sometimes his mature side pops up and reminds them about what the little boy has gone through.

“It’s May 6th, pabo Jiminnie.”

 

Jimin is a fool, indeed.

 

 

 

“I wasn’t aware of it,” Yoongi clarifies later that night, when Baekhyun has been tucked in bed and his complimentary soft yelps come to silence as slumber claims him.

Jimin hums in acknowledgement but says nothing else, simply resting his head on the crook of Yoongi’s neck, the most comfortable posture he has always taken to sleep, though it is restricted to only when Yoongi is home for the night. Rare as it is, it is one of Jimin’s favourite moments and in the same list is when Yoongi’s fingers laces his hair around them like the doctor is doing right now.

“Is it bothering you?”

Jimin considers the question for a while. The whole thing has surprised him – what are the chances anyway? It feels like fate is attempting a mischief, as cliché as it come to be. It’s almost funny, too, when he thinks about it. But no, it is not bothering him.

Surprisingly, it is not bothering him.

The dance instructor gives a little shake of his head, and he could almost could feel Yoongi’s smile even if it is not in his sight.

“I’ll take the day off; so you do the planning, okay?”

Which one he should do planning for, Jimin wonders. His plan for 6th May has been the same over the years; a visit to the hill where Taehyung’s ash is buried early in the morning before he cocoons himself in his blankets for the rest of the day, reliving each and every memories Taehyung has managed to etch in his mind in his living days. Yoongi knows this very well; he always manages to have a 24-hour rotation on the day, or a conference somewhere.

“What should I do, hyung?” Which one should I choose?

“What you want to do,” Yoongi says firmly as he shifts closer, taking Jimin more into his arms. “Just remember that this time you won’t be alone.”

 

 

 

6th May, conveniently a Saturday, comes faster than Jimin has realized.

Baekhyun is ecstatic. He has been ecstatic since Yoongi comes home few days ago with three one-day passes for Lotte World. Jimin has never seen the boy behaves like he has in these few days; it is bewildering not to see leftover cucumbers on Baekhyun’s plate Jimin almost wants to check him up to the nearest clinic.

“I’ve never really celebrated my birthday before,” he confesses to Jimin the night of his birthday as he climbs his bed as early as 9, way earlier than his weekend sleep time, his eyes shining in a way that tugs Jimin’s heart. “Why is Yoongi not coming home yet? We are still going tomorrow, right? Lotte?”

Jimin smiles as he ruffles the boy’s hair. “He’ll come home when his shift ends at midnight. Yes, we’re still going. If he’s not coming home then we’ll just go with the two of us; the tickets are with me.”

Jimin’s wink at the end induces a tinkling giggle from Baekhyun and his young face falls into pure happiness again, for a moment Jimin indulges himself of a taste of pride of knowing that he has a hand in making that unadulterated bliss.

“Go to sleep now, it’ll be early morning tomorrow,” he says, pulling the blanket up only at Baekhyun’s waist because the boy cannot stand the heat at nightmuch to Yoongi’s disapproval, in fear of the boy to catch a cold. 

“We’ll be visiting your friend first, right?”

There is a gap of a second before Jimin nods. “That’s right. Goodnight, Byun Baek-ssi.”

Baekhyun laughs again at the nickname.
 

“Goodnight, Jiminnie.”

 

 

 

A child as bright as Baekhyun, he probably gets it as soon as they reach the hill that overlooks the city, away from the daily bustle yet still accessible in a fifteen minutes’ drive – if the orderly erected tombs do not tell him, it’s the way Jimin’s steps fall a bit quicker as soon as they leave the car, as if cannot wait to see the friend. Baekhyun, as bright as he is, knows that it’s a friend that cannot afford to leave for anywhere else anymore, yet understands why Jimin can’t help but to climb up the hills in hastened pace, anyway.

Kim Taehyung, he reads when Jimin stops as a tomb shaded by a big tree halfway up the hills, 30 December 1986 – 6 May 2009; Our Star that Shines and Guides.

Jimin kneels down in front of the marble statue, bearing with Yoongi and Baekhyun’s undivided attention on his movement. He shoves a hand into his right pockets and procures a small transparent box, tiny shining rocks inside before putting it on the flat altar.

“Hey, Tae.”

 

 

 

The sun shines the way it is impossible for Yoongi to miss the bracelet hanging on Jimin’s left wrist; not with the way the rays reflected by the crudely cut small rocks so prettily. Yoongi never notices it before; perhaps because Jimin doesn’t wear accessories at home, or perhaps he is just not paying attention enough.

The stones are identical of those on the altar.

Yoongi has a little time to think anything of it; if it means Taehyung still owns a piece of Jimin’s heart after everything, or if it is something less significant and nothing he should be worried of, because at that moment someone has approached behind their backs and distracts Baekhyun who is tugging at Yoongi’s arms.

It takes him some time but Yoongi recognizes the woman who has a bewildered, yet pleasant, look on her face as she looks up to Yoongi and looks down to Baekhyun.

Ahjeomma,” Jimin stands up in greeting. The woman – Taehyung’s mother as it is reminded in Yoongi’s mind – looks relief in a sight of someone she knows and proceeds to hug the young man.

Her eyes, however flit back to Yoongi and Baekhyun soon after and that’s when Jimin takes a step forward.

“Do you remember, ahjeomma? This is Dr. Min,” he introduces, voice slightly faltering but steady enough for Yoongi to give credit.

Yoongi bows, followed by a slow hello. When he looks up, he could see there’s a lot of things playing in the lady’s mind but in the end, a smile is sent over his way, a warm one like the one he remembers from years ago.

“Nice to see you again, doctor,” she says amicably. “You two went to school together, did I remember right?”

Jimin nods, bashful for a reason, but Taehyung’s mother doesn’t push the matter further. She kneels down to Baekhyun’s eye level, instead. “This little one nearly gives me heart attack, though.”

Baekhyun doesn’t really understand why the middle-aged lady has tears in her eyes as their eyes meet but he remembers to be polite nevertheless.

“My name is Byun Baekhyun; I live with Yoongi...-hyung and Jimin-hyung,” he introduces himself.

Jimin chuckles; they let Baekhyun address them by their names at home but strictly remind him to use formalities around others, thus the slight waver. He ruffles the boy’s hair slightly as a good job token.

“He’s ours.”

Having three pairs of eyes on him at the same time is a bit unnerving but Jimin gives another chuckle, surprised at himself. He is in a lock-eye with Taehyung’s mother, and while the old lady looks startled, she doesn’t really look cross. That relieves him a lot.

“Yoongi-hyung and mine; our beagle, that’s it,” he continues, his tone easy despite the stillness in the air. “Keep yapping all day and night; pretty much like Tae.”

 Jimin is not quite sure of what he expected but he’s taken aback all the same when Taehyung’s mother lets out a tinkling laugh. She pinches Baekhyun’s cheek slightly and laughs again when the boy winches, his face falls to a natural pout. 

“Pretty much like Tae, indeed,” she concludes as she stands up. “I’m so glad you’re doing well; sometimes I wonder how you’re faring but I don’t really know if you want to hear from me. It’s good that you have people around you; it helps a lot.”

There’s nothing but truth in that so Jimin nods. “I’m glad you’re doing well, too. How’s everyone?”

“It was hard –I’m sure you know that –but we are alright now. Dahye is expecting; she’s due next month, and Daehyun is getting married in few months,” the lady tells with excitement in her voice and Jimin has not realized how many years have passed; Dahye and Daehyun were only in high school when he last saw them. “You should come over sometimes; we are still at the same place. Bring this little one along. Dr. Min, as well.”

It will take a hell of persuading to make Yoongi go to Taehyung’s house, Jimin thinks amusedly, but he nods anyway. “Sure.”

They exchange numbers and the trio make their way out, leaving Taehyung’s mother to wait for his husband.

 

Jimin could not tell for sure but Baekhyun’s grip on his hand feels tighter, and Yoongi’s smile seems a bit wider after.

 

 

 

A day spent in Baekhyun’s presence is always tiring; Jimin is secretly glad the preschool takes half of Baekhyun’s waking time – but a day with Baekhyun at an amusement park takes it to another level.

Jimin feels like dropping dead after dinner, and Yoongi is probably an empty shell since half past five after Baekhyun insists on playing Gyro Drop – and both of them are glad that Chanyeol is finally here; if there’s anything that has dampened Baekhyun’s mood for the day is the fact that Chanyeol has a day shift and is only relieved after six.

So, the boy has gone with the young psychologist to whatever rides he hasn’t managed to convince Yoongi and Jimin, which left the two at the classy night bar at the top floor of the restaurant where the stools are arranged so that they are facing the transparent wall, overlooking the night scenery of the amusement park.

“Are you still alive?” Jimin pokes teasingly at the slumped body of Yoongi, eyes turning crescents.

“Shut up,” comes Yoongi’s stifled reply, his face planted to the comfort of his folded arms. “I swear that brat is a medical wonder of some sort; where the hell do he get all the energy; I should probably do a research on him.”

Jimin laughs. “You have to get my permission first. Do I get some money?”

Yoongi tilts his head on his arms to face Jimin and shoots him a dirty look. “I’m his guardian, too. You said it; he’s ours.”

The younger man blushes but gives a bashful smile when the doctor has his own up.

“Thank you, it means a lot to me,” Yoongi says, his voice low and quiet, and Jimin feels something tugs down his heartstring.

“No, thank you, hyung,” he says as he leans down and –when Yoongi’s eyes close in reflex to his close proximity – plants a soft kiss on the corner of the lips. “I love you.”

Yoongi turns back into burying his face on his arms but the creeping blush tainting his snow pale face cannot be hidden, and Jimin thinks it is the most adorable Yoongi can get in this lifetime.

 

It is very well-muffled but Jimin could hear it loud and clear; Yoongi’s “I love you, too, Jiminnie.”

     

Perhaps Baekhyun is not really a medical wonder after all – considering how he fell asleep on the ride home, and Jimin has to practically drag him to wash up before sending him to bed.

“Jimin,” the boy calls quietly as Jimin tucks him in. “Your friend...he’s at the same place as my mom and dad, right?”

It takes Jimin aback for a moment before he reminds himself how Baekhyun is a bright, bright little boy. “Yes.”

Baekhyun falters for a while, as if considering something. He makes up his mind with a determined bite on his lower lips. “Can I...can I visit them too?”

Now, that takes Jimin aback. It hasn’t crossed his mind; it’s not something he has discussed with Yoongi before. He’s not even sure if Yoongi knows where Baekhyun’s parents were rested. Perhaps they could ask around; they still have the contact information of the uncle that has taken care of him previously. Yoongi probably has all the details, but as far as Jimin knows Baekhyun’s family had resided in the nearby area, so the chances are high that his parents were buried or cremated within their reach.

“I’ll ask Yoongi-hyung,” Jimin tells him with a smile. “We’ll have to ask your uncle.”

Baekhyun nods. His eyelids flutter and are about to close when another thought strike him. “Do you miss your friend?”

Does Jimin miss Taehyung? He probably doesn’t know how not to anymore; he has given up trying to.

“I do,” he confesses, more honestly than he has ever been with anyone else; because Baekhyun would understand. “But I couldn’t have been happier now, you know.”

“I know.” Because of course Baekhyun would understand. “Me too, you know.”

I know,” Jimin winks and they share a giggle. Baekhyun’s ends with a yawn that doesn’t go unheard by Jimin.

“Go to sleep now Byun Baek-ssi,” he says with a mock chiding tone. This time around Baekhyun doesn’t need much persuading as his eyes close readily, the fatigue starting to consume. Jimin sighs wearily, albeit a smile on his lips.

“Goodnight, our Baekhyun.”

There’s no answer from the boy except for the small sounds, akin to soft whine, that Baekhyun tends to make when he’s about to sleep so Jimin takes it as a cue to leave. He’s just on the door when he hears some shuffling of fabrics on the bed and knows it’s Baekhyun pushing down his blankets again. Shaking his head slightly as he thinks of what Yoongi would have said if he knows Baekhyun hasn’t dropped the habit, he exits the room.

 

 

“Goodnight, pabo Jiminnie. Thank you.”

 

 


 

This is unbetaed and probably not what you have expected but I just wanted to celebrate on the end of the semester, yay! (But I do, I do hope you like the fluff story! >< )