Winning Isn't Everything

Winning Isn't Everything - Myungsoo

"…and the Winner is…" The MC’s happily announced, your eyes moved over their calm happy faces while you sat there rocking back and forth, your eyes glued onto the screen and chewing on your nails trying to make the time go faster.

The seconds that they waited and let the tension and anticipation build, the more you became worried. Camera angles changed to accentuate the possible winners. Flipping back camera angles to the MC’s, they carefully and slowly opened the colorful envelope that was in their hands.

Straining your ears, you repeated the group you wanted to win over and over again in hopes of changing or encouraging reality in your favor. However when another group was announced, the boy band that you were rooting for, Infinite, was shown on the screen as they clapped for the other group that won.

Not even wanting to finish the rest of the video, you just rewound the showcase and started to watch Infinite’s performance of Last Romeo once more. Over and over again, you kept watching them as your fists clenched.

"How could they not win?" You mumbled to yourself while the beautiful notes and choreography melted your frustrations for a short while.

Once the song ended and you heard the other group be called instead of Infinite, you slammed the lid of your laptop down swinging your legs off of your bed you jogged into the kitchen while you tried to focus on something else. Feeling the salty water gather slowly in your eyes, you rested your hands on the edge of the counter while you tried to get a grip on yourself.

"It’s just a show, just one show." You mumbled to yourself as you felt more tears gather in your eyes. Thinking how many hours Infinite has practiced, had sacrificed to be there and they didn’t win. Standing up straight you pressed your hand over your eyes. Sighing, you regained control on your emotions as you sat on the couch and watched Infinite’s other music videos.

Glancing over at the clock, you figured that Myungsoo would be coming home soon, so you pulled a blanket over your bare legs as you tried to focus on the seven members of Infinite and their many music videos.

Several music video’s later, the twisting of the key in the lock alerted you that Myungsoo was home but you didn’t want to turn your head. The hinges moaned at his arrival, the dark apartment welcomed him home while the images and the music filled the living room of the apartment.

Myungsoo’s eyes watched the moving images on the screen as he closed the door behind him and slipped off his shoes. Carefully setting down his back on the bench by the entryway, he moved in closer to your dark silhouette.

"Hey jagiya" He called out quietly, waiting for a response that never came.

A smile curled onto one side of his lips causing his dimple to form as he walked over behind the couch and looped his arms around your neck. Resting his head against yours, he watched the rest of The Chaser with you as he softly sung his parts beside you.

Once the music video ended, he watched Last Romeo play, singing along and rubbing your arm gently with his fingers, he smiled but you felt completely opposite.

Trying to keep your breaths soft and unnoticeable, your eyes filled with the salty tears once more, but this time when you closed them the bitter tears fell from your eyes and landed on Myungsoo’s arms that gently wrapped around you.

Feeling the warm water on his arm, he moved to get a better look at your face. The light from the screen gently made the trails of your tears shimmer. Jumping over the side of the couch, he got a better look at your face before another tear rolled down your face.

"H-Hey, what’s wrong?" Myungsoo’s eyes scanned over your face, shaking your head at his question, he placed his hand on the other side of your face and turned your face towards him.

"What’s wrong?" He asked in a quieter tone while your breath hitched in your throat, the way it does when you cry. Another tear ran down your cheeks but Myungsoo wiped it away with his thumb gently/

"It’s nothing really" You lifted your hand and wrapped your fingers around his wrist trying to pull his hand away from your face.

"Please" Myungsoo’s voice at hardly a whisper, "Please, tell me" He begged quietly, turning your head back to look at him, his brown eyes were filled with concern as they looked down at you.

"I-It’s silly" You dropped your gaze and let your head slowly fall. Myungoo lifted your chin with his fingers.

"Please" He asked you again. Taking a deep breath you held in the air for a moment or two before letting it out. Starting to form the words in your mind, tears filled your eyes again.

"Y-You didn’t win" You whispered in a broken voice. "You didn’t win tonight."

"Oh baby" He leaned towards you and wrapped his arms around your torso. "Is this the reason why you are crying? Because Infinite didn’t win in the showcase tonight?"

Nodding your head in his shoulder he smirked but rubbed your back, pulling away slightly he kissed your cheek before holding you against him. Your arms gently wrapped around his shoulders, holding his black sweater tightly in between your fingers.

"Don’t be upset that we didn’t win tonight" He tried to comfort you, his hand gently petting your freshly washed hair.

"B-But you w-w-worked s-so h-h-hard" You whispered while your emotions rushed out of you.

"I know, but other groups have to get something too. I would feel bad if we won every single award." He tells you gently.

"W-Why?" You questioned him as his scent gently wrapped around you allowing you to calm down slowly.

"Winning isn’t everything" He pulls away from the hug gently.

"But it is" You look up at him with wet eyes. Pulling the sleeve over his fingers he wiped away your tears.

"Not everything I love, I got from winning" He tells you, gently tucking some hair behind your ear.

"I don’t believe that" You told him folding your arms over your chest.

"I got you and I didn’t win you." He giggles making his dimples show and his eyes curve up into crescent moons.

"But you did, you won my heart." You shook your shoulders happily knowing that you got him.

"That’s different" He smiled cheekily as he wrapped his arm around you and pull you into his chest.

"Shall we start from the beginning of the music videos?" Myungsoo picked up the remote as you wrapped your arms around him and nodded against his chest.

"Yes, please" You smiled, curling yourself up onto his lap, the two of you happily watched all of the music videos from start to finish in each others arms.