Chapter 1

The Only Exception

Another peaceful day for the SM High’s students with the sun shining brightly, its ray of light seeping through the window, illuminating the hallways and every once gloomy corner of the school. Birds chirping happily, holding their own choir of peacefulness until...

“Yeah!!! Let’s rock and roll, es!!!!”

The birds, shocked, immediately flew from the branch of a big tree they were resting on that was planted near the infamous class of the Academic Major, 1-A that consist only girls of 14.

SM High was a coed-school but it seemed that only the girls were interested in taking the academic since the boys were too lazy to think. That explained much about the lack of the male students and the reason for the Academic Major to have only one class for the entire grade. The school decided to put all of them in one class to make it easier.

“Amber, get the down from there. You’re blocking the blackboard!” a girl with dark brown wavy hair that reached her waist shouted.

“Sheesh, Victoria! I’m in the middle of heating things up here!” the girl with short blonde hair glared at the girl who dared to interrupt her from her spot on the table.

Victoria just rolled her eyes and continued to do her homework while ignoring her noisy classmates but stopped again when a small hard object landed on her head. Victoria reached up to take the offending thing off of her head with a little difficulty because the thing seemed stuck in her hair. It was an eraser with sticky transparent substance covering it.

Glue.

She gritted her teeth and stood up, making the chair screeched against the floor.

“Who the did that?!” Victoria growled, eyeing each face in the classroom until her gaze landed on two suspicious girls who were trying to contain their laughter but failed miserably. One of them even fell to the floor from all the laughing.

“Alright you two, c’mere! I’mma gonna kick your pretty little asses!!!” Victoria stomped towards the two and a chase started between the three.

Amber, who was standing on her table, nodded her head in satisfaction and approval at the two who managed to get Victoria’s out from her seat. That girl seriously needed a break from all the school works and stopped being so serious all the time. Come on, they were indeed the students with high intellect level but that didn’t mean they were nerds with thick glasses who only knew to indulge themselves with books. Youth only came once in a life time right?

While the students of 1-A were being their normal noisy self, running around the class with papers thrown here and there, the front door of the class slid open and a petite girl with cat-like eyes came sprinting into the classroom.

“Settle down! Mrs. Kim incoming!!!” the girl, who the students of the classroom called Sunny, shouted.

That managed to stop Victoria from choking Sulli and Luna who were the two that threw the eraser earlier. Amber hopped off from her spot and sat down on her seat. The president of the class, Taeyeon immediately took over and shouted commands to revert their classroom back to its original condition. They worked fast and efficiently that when Mrs. Kim slid the door open, the classroom was back to their clean state and the girls were seated in their respective seats silently. Mrs. Kim smiled seeing the girls’ polite smile.

Such good kids.

“Stand up. Bow.”

Taeyeon led the usual greeting as Mrs. Kim entered the classroom and stood in front of the classroom.  The woman who was in her early 30’s nodded as a cue for them to sit back down. She smiled as she scanned the whole classroom, searching for any flaw. Satisfied, she cleared before speaking.

“Good morning, girls. Today, we’re going to receive a transfer student from China.”

Whispers erupted in the classroom. The girls started to make assumptions about the new kid. Some of them even groaned assuming it was another girl as an addition to the class. The class was hectic as it was with just 14 students, all females to top it off and now they wanted to add another one?

“Please come in,” Mrs. Kim motioned for the new student to enter the classroom with a smile.

“I wonder what cup she is.” Jessica mumbled.

The girls held in their breath as the newcomer entered the classroom. A pair of long legs peeked out from behind the door and slowly the entire figure of the student was revealed. The girls scanned the student starting from below.

Long legs...wait, pants instead of skirt? Oooh, flat stomach and flat...chest. Jessica gasped at this.

“She doesn’t have s!” she exclaimed, horrified while groping her own s to strengthen her point.

Their eyes continued to trail until they reached the student’s face and immediately their eyebrows rose. The student has a pair of panda-like eyes and short raven hair that looked so fluffy. She looked exactly like a...boy.

“Oh, great. Another Amber.” Tiffany groaned out loud.

“Hey!” Amber whipped her head to look at Tiffany with a fake offended expression.

“Simmer down, girls. Now, please introduce yourself.” Mrs. Kim shushed them.

The new student looked nervous and ‘she’ kept fiddling with the hem of ‘her’ blazer. ‘She’ took a deep breath before starting to introduce ‘herself’ with a slightly shaky voice.

“I-I’m Huang Z-Zitao. P-please take care of m-me,” ‘she’ ended ‘her’ introduction with a slight bow.

“Isn’t that a boy’s name and why is her voice like that?” Amber muttered.

“Who cares? Her Korean is cute!” Tiffany squealed.

Amber rolled her eyes at her.

After that, Mrs. Kim assigned the new student ‘her’ seat beside the window, next to Sooyoung. She did a roll call for the class before she left to take care of some matters.

~~*~~

Tao walked nervously to his seat when he felt all eyes were on him like hawks eyeing their predator. His dad finally got a promotion and was transferred to Korea and he, being a good son and all, followed his father here instead of staying with his beloved grandmother. He figured it was going to be a little awkward to suit himself with the school having only girls as his classmates. Yes, Zitao already knew that the Academic Major was filled with girls and that was the reason he took it in the first place. Don’t get him wrong, he was not a playboy that loved girls or some kind of a sick ert, it was just that he kind of had some personal problems. Besides, he was quite smart to begin with.

Tao sighed as he slumped onto his chair. He slipped off his bag and put it down beside the table. He suddenly felt something hovering above him when he saw a big shadow casted on the floor around him. He looked up and let out a startled yelp. He was being surrounded by his classmates and their eyes were sparkling and that kind of freaked him out.

“Hi! My name’s Kim Taeyeon. The class president.”

The light brown hair girl smiled cheekily at him and offered her hand. Tao accepted the hand albeit with a little hesitation. The other girls started to introduce themselves one by one and Tao struggled to remember their names.

“You’re really cute, you know that?” Sooyoung, who Tao recognized as the one that sat beside him pinched both of his cheeks.

Tao blushed and drawled out a loud squeal from the girls.

“No offense Taozi, but you kind of look like a boy. A cute one with panda eyes.”

Nickname basis already? Koreans sure got along well with newcomer.  Wait, what?

“W-what?”

“You know, a boy. Since you have short hair and you even wear pants.” Tiffany, the girl with the air of superiority said.

Tao started to gape dumbly at the girl, confused as hell.

“B-but I am a boy.”

The girls blinked and looked at each other before bursting into a fit of laughter. Tao was left to stare dumbfounded at the scene.

“Oh my God, Taozi. That was so cute.” Taeyeon giggled.

Okay, so they mistook him as a girl with boyish looks? What kind of humourless joke was this?

A sudden loud bang was heard from the other side of the room. Tao and the group of girls immediately looked over to see an irritated Jung Krystal, the sister of Jung Jessica stood while glaring at them.

“Why the hell are you girls so dense?! He’s a damn boy, for God’s sake!!! Anyone can see that!” Krystal hollered with her hands doing weird exaggerating motions in the air.

Well, apparently not since they were only staring at her like she just grew another head. Jessica stared at Tao after her sister’s sudden outburst. Well, to be exact, Tao’s nether region. She slowly reached out her hand and d Tao’s crotch. The young lad squeaked in surprise.

“Ah, Krystal’s right. She is a boy.” Jessica nodded her head at the revelation.

“Yah, you scarred him for life!”

Tiffany growled and hugged the trembling Tao into a tight embrace. Amber Tao’s soft black hair to calm the sniffling boy while glaring daggers at the offender. Jessica tilted her head; faking innocence. It was silence for a moment with the girls scowling at Jessica until it dawned on them.

“You’re a boy?!?!”

~~*~~

Chanyeol skipped happily through the hallway, heading towards the student council room. His lips stretched into what the students called, a creepy smile and he was humming to a song that he didn’t bother to remember the title.

He stopped in front of a wooden oak door that had a gold plate with student council etched on it in bold letter. Without knocking, he burst through the door and bounced with giddiness into the room.

“Ayo whaddup Krease~!!!!” he shouted.

A tall blonde looked up from his paper works and stared at the happy virus with a hint of annoyance. He sighed before looking back at his papers, ignoring the ball of sunshine that stood in the middle of the room. Chanyeol, undeterred with his best friend’s attitude, went off to sit in front of Kris.

“Where’re the others?” Chanyeol asked as soon as he landed his on the comfy seat.

He looked around the empty yet extravagant room. The interior design of the room still amazed him to no end. It looked more like a room that was suitable for an evening tea party instead of a student council headquarter with a set of furniture that looked expensive resided in the corner of the room. The walls were painted in rich dark chocolate colour and the floor was covered with expensive red carpet.

There were four tables set in two lines in the middle of the room and Kris’s work table that was slightly bigger than the others was situated at the end of the room, facing the others. A huge window pane that reached the ceiling covered almost the whole wall that was behind Kris. There were bookshelves on the left side of the room and two doors were on the right side of the room that led to a store room and a kitchen. Yes, they had a kitchen. How awesome was that?

“Stuff.”

Kris’s reply was short and he didn’t even look up from his papers. Chanyeol was silence for once but the creepy smile of his was still carved on his face as he stared intently at the president of the council. Kris’s eyebrows twitched as he tried hard to ignore Chanyeol’s gaze. After a while, with Chanyeol still staring with his creepy smile, Kris finally snapped.

“What?!” he glared at Chanyeol, frustrated.

“There’s a new student! From China!” Chanyeol beamed.

Kris sighed in exasperation along with a roll of his eyes.

“Chanyeol, I’m the president. So basically, I know. I was informed of it yesterday by the principal himself.”

“Did you know that the new student is a boy and he’s majoring in academic?”

Kris raised his eyebrows at that and stared at Chanyeol before asking, “So?”

“You’re no fun.” Chanyeol pouted before he went off to sit down at his own desk.

~~*~~

“He looks like a panda. Man, I’m jealous of him. Surrounded by the girls. I wish I’d take the Academic Major.”

“I’ll tell Kyungsoo you just said that.”

“You better not. I’ll tell Xiumin that you flirted with one of those girls yesterday.”

Chen rolled his eyes at the other’s words. They were on the rooftop of the Music Major building that faced the Academic Major building. His partner in crime, Kim Jongin or preferred to be call Kai stood beside him, spying the new kid of the said major through a binocular. Chen, on the other hand, was not that interested in the new kid and busied himself with his chips that he brought with him.

“Yah, Kai. Let’s go already. I don’t want to hear gramps nagging.”

Chen kicked Kai’s shin to get the already drooling boy’s attention. Kai put down his binocular and wiped his drool. Chen grimaced, feeling disgusted. He his heels and went out of the rooftop with Kai trailing behind.

“You think that panda boy is the one, Chen?”

Kai slung an arm around the shorter boy’s shoulder. Chen put on his thinking face as he continued to munch on his chips. They were heading to the student council’s room.

“I don’t know but he’s pretty cute. Kris seriously needs to get laid so I hope he’s the one. That angry bird is so stressed out with all the works.”

They both grinned mischievously.