The Best Thing

The Best Thing

If someone had told you this morning that your day turned out like this, you’d have laughed at him.

 

You woke up to the ring of your alarm, but didn’t get up, finding no strength to do so. Like almost every morning you thought about just staying in bed and skipping classes. Especially today the thought of it was very tempting, because you had eight hours of sitting around in the university and listening to the endless talking of your professors before you. But exams were around the corner and you were afraid to miss something important, so after a few more minutes you got up after all.

 

The weather wasn’t going to raise your spirit, neither your growing headache did. You almost fell asleep in one class and in another you got really frustrated, because of the task, you had to get done.

 

So after you had been dismissed you couldn’t wait to get home and take a long hot shower.

 

You stepped into your bathroom and immediately undressed yourself and stepped under the warm water. You closed your eyes and enjoyed the feeling of it running down your skin relaxing your stiff muscles and washing your worries and rather bad mood away.

 

Half an hours later you got out of the shower again. When you dried yourself with a towel, you heard your phone ring in the living room. Putting on your as fast as possible you grabbed your fresh shirt and pulled it over your head on the way over to the living room. Before answering the phone, you checked the number on the display, but it was an unknown one.

 

“Hello?” you said into your phone.

 

“Good evening, this is Kim Eunji from Seoul’s Academy of Arts. Do I speak with Miss _____?” the woman on the other end of the line asked.

 

Your heart began to race. This it was. That was the call you’ve been waiting for weeks. The call that decided over success or failure. The probably most important call of your life. After a few minutes you would know if you’ve been accepted into the academy of your dreams or not.

 

During the last year of your high school you’ve planned to follow your dream and study Fine Arts at Seoul’s Academy of Arts. When you’ve told your parents about your plans they were in shock. Of course they’ve been worried about the future of their daughter, they’ve wanted you to study something reliable, “Art is way too unsteady, you’ll never know were you’ll end up” they’ve told you. After some long arguments they’ve finally made you weak and unsure of yourself. You’ve started to doubt your talent and of course yourself, too. You’ve gotten afraid that you wouldn’t make it.

 

And so you’ve chosen the safe and easy way out of it. You’ve attended a university for economics and have been regretting your choice since then. That has been one and a half year ago.

 

During all that time there has been only one good thing that has happened to you. You’ve met one really nice guy called Mark and he has become your boyfriend, probably the most perfect boyfriend you could have imagined. He was everything you could have wished for. He was the one who has convinced you to believe in yourself again and to not give up on your dream. He had been urging and annoying you for weeks for you to try and apply at the the academy. He has been there while you’ve prepared for the qualifying examination and he has been there after you’ve been done with it. All the time he has been by your side, supporting you and you have been and still were so thankful for all he has done for you.

 

And now you wished he’d be next to you to hold your hand tightly and whisper quiet words of encourangement.

 

“Yes. Yes, you do” you finally said, half afraid haft excited.

 

“Then I have good news for you. I’m glad to tell you that you’ve been accepted into our academy. Congratulations!”

 

You couldn’t believe what you’ve been hearing just right now. “Oh my God, really? Oh my God, thank you” you said still in disbelief.

 

“We have to thank you. Somewhen during the next days you’ll get a mail with more informations and documents, which you have to fill in and send back to us as soon as possible.”

 

“Of course. Yes, I’ll do it” you assured.

 

After ending the call, you stood there with your arm slowly dropping down. Staring into space, you tried to process what had happened just now.

 

Your whole body was shaking and you felt like your heart was about to stop beating, because it was racing just too fast. In the next moment you started to grin like crazy. At first you squeaked and then you were jumping through our whole living room.

 

“I did it! I freaking did it!!” you screamed to yourself, still not believing it.

 

You wanted to dance and sing and shout and laugh and cry, everything at the same time. The last time you’ve been that happy was on the day when you’ve got together with Mark.

 

With the biggest smile still on your lips you made your way over to your stereo and pressed play. You turned the volume up until you felt the bass vibrating through your body and started dancing around the room. You just needed to let out your feelings otherwise you thought you would explode of happiness.

 

You didn’t notice when the front door opened your boyfriend came in. You also didn’t notice when stepped further into the apartment and stayed in the doorway, watching you with amusement. His eyes moved up and down your moving body, which was still clothed with only your and a shirt. Your wet hair flew through the air when you threw your head back and he bit his bottom lip at that sight. He was tempted to go up to you, catch you from behind and then let his lips travel your neck, but the decided to just wait till you noticed him and see what would happen.

 

It took you half a song until your eyes found Mark and you jumped in surprise, because you didn’t except ssomeone standing there. you turned the volume down again and looked back at your boyfriend, not being able to stop the growing grin on your lips.

 

“Are you having a party without me?” he asked with a smirk once the music played in the background and came further into the room.

 

You couldn’t say anything, you just beamed at him and the next second you were running towards him and then you jumped at him, wrapping your legs around his waist and your arms around his neck. He grunted in surprise, but put his own arms around your middle instinctively and hold you close to himself.

 

“Oh, wow, what is it that made my baby so happy?” he asked laughing lightly.

 

“I did it! I got accepted! I really did it!” you finally blurt out and watched as his eyes widened. You had to laugh, but started squeaking right away when you suddenly were spun around. You squeezed your eyes shut and burried your face into his neck until he stopped. When Mark was standing still again, you looked back up at him and saw his huge grin, which made you smile even wider.

 

“That’s my girl! I knew you would make it! I’m so proud of you.”

 

Hearing his words, you got a warm feeling in every part of your body. You cupped his face gently and smiled lovingly at him.

 

“I have to thank you for all of that. Without you I would have never found the courage to take this step” you told him and then kissed him softly on the lips. “Thank you.”

 

“I didn’t do anything. You’ve been accepted, because of your amazing talent. They all would have been total idiots if they didn’t want you in their academy” he told you while he walked over to the couch. He sat down and you landed in his lap, your legs on each side of him.

 

You smiled slightly and his cheek with your thumb, then you drove your hand through his hair before it came to a halt at the back of his neck.

 

“Do you know that you’re the best thing that could have happened to me?” you whispered, looking straight into his eyes.

 

“Even after one of your dreams came true?” he teased you, smirking.

 

“Even after each and every of my dreams come true, you’d still be the best thing in my life.”

 

You brushed your lips lightly against his before pressing them together in sweet kiss. Mark put his hand on the back of your neck and pulled you closer to deepen the kiss, which turned pretty fast into a heated and passionate one. You felt his other hand travel under your shirt and you shivered at his touch, pressing yourself closer to his body.

 

You bit his lips until you heard him whimper quietly and then that spot. You wanted to get back to kissing him, but he pushed you away slightly.

 

“Do you want to go out tonight? Cause if you do, you better stop now” he said, panting a little and from the sound of his voice you could tell he was .

 

You haven’t thought about going out yet, but hearing the idea, you suddenly loved it. “Yes” you said in excitement. “Yes, let’s go out.”

 

“Oh, damn it. I hoped you would prefer staying in.” You guessed it should have sounded like a joke, but he seemed quiet disappointed. “Okay then, hurry up and get ready.”

 

You started smiling again and pecked his lips. “Don’t worry, we can do whatever you want once we’re back home” you said with a wink.

 

He let out a groan when his head fell backwards onto the backrest and his arms dropped on the couch. “Just go and get dressed before I change my mind and attack you” he said with closed eyes.

 

You only laughed at his reaction and hopped off his lap, running a few steps in the directions of your room before turning back around and going over to Mark again. You gave him one last kiss on the lips, surprising him since his eyes were still closed, before finally running off to get ready.

 

Mark looked after you, smiling and shaking his head slightly.