By Chance

By Chance

 

 

“You nervous, Francesco?” My back up guitarist, Jongin, asked me. 

“No, not really." I chuckled. "I sing at the local restaurants here all the time. They don’t really pay attention to us so you've got nothing to worry about.” I patted Jongin's shoulder, trying to calm him of his nerves.

It was his first night performing with me because my old back up guitarist moved to Jeju and I needed someone fast. Jongin and I ran into each other at the vinyl store a few days back and got to talking. I told him I had a gig coming up and I could really use another guitar player. He was on board immediately but now, he was becoming apprehensive. 

“I don’t know man. What if I flop? What if I play the wrong notes and throw you off?” 

“Hey, Jongin!” I put both of my hands on either of his shoulders and shook him while saying. “You’re gonna be fine,  we'll be fine. Just tell yourself you’re gonna rock it, and you will.” 

He nodded and took a gulp of his water, preparing for our performance.

“Alright, ladies and gents, please welcome our musical guest for the night, 21 year old, Francesco!” 

The audience clapped and I heard a few drunk men ‘whoop’ and holler my name from the bar. Okay, probably some of dad’s friends.

“Good evening, everybody!” I said while walking out onto the small stage. I looked out into the audience to see how many people I’d be playing for. Decent crowd, maybe 40-50 people. Only half of the audience was looking at me and Jongin, and the other half either finishing their dinners or watching the football game. “My name’s Francesco, and it’s an honor to be here in front of you guys tonight. If you all don’t mind, I’d love to play few songs for you.” 

I started strumming on my guitar, making sure it was tuned properly. The buzzing of people’s voices was a soft pillow underneath the loud shredding Jongin was doing. I turned and motioned for him to not play so loud. He nodded his head and we started the song, ‘I Choose You’.

For whatever might have been and all that it never was

Whatever I couldn't see and all that I didn't want

There was a method to my madness girl that wasn't clear to me

Until the day I saw your face

When I saw everything

I watched as the crowd carried on doing their own thing, pretending like I wasn’t even there. It hurts sometimes, that people think I am invisible, but I know that this would only make me better in the long run. I'm sure. Although, I just wish there was someone, at least one person, who cared enough to just look at me. 

I thought about this all through the song, and even through the next song.

Suddenly, there was a loud thud at the front door. I stopped my intro to the next song-- no one was listening anyways, and gazed at the entrance. A girl, about my age, walked in clumsily. By the time she was steady on her feet again, the entire restaurant was looking at her.

She looked around and blushed. “Sorry.” She squeaked.

Her hair was straight and brown, a little past her shoulders. It was half-up, half-down, and she had mascara and lipgloss on. She wore a floral printed tank top with light pink capris and white Converse high top. My favorite sneaker. Her hazel eyes sparkled in the dimly lit pub and it caught my attention. 

She looked right at me, a shy grin crawling over her pink-tinted lips. She rushed to the front of the stage and took a seat as close as possible to me, and waited for me to begin playing again.

“Wow, no pressure, huh, Franceso?” Jongin whispered so only I could hear. 

I whipped around, darted a death glare at him, and looked back at the girl. After a few moments, I recognized her. Marcella. She's 20 years old and we had Biology class together. We teamed up for a class project once, but that was the only time I ever spoke to her. I had always thought that she was pretty. 

I wonder why she’s here, watching me.

We played a few more songs with every song we played, Marcella bobbed her head along and kept her eyes on me. I never felt her gaze leave me, and to most people, that may be a little weird and creepy, but to me, it was flattering. 

We finished up our set and I started to pack up my guitar considering that it was past 10pm and the restaurant was technically closed.

Jongin came over and high fived me. “Wow, that was great, Francesco! Hey, call me if you ever need another guitarist for your next gig, okay?”

I chuckled. “You’re my guy, Jongin.” I turned back to my guitar, gently placing it in its case, when Jongin suddenly nudged my side. 

“Hey, looks like your number one fan is sticking around for the after party.” Jongin nodded to one direction of the restaurant. 

I looked up to see Marcella, smiling and waving at us. “Shut up.”, I told Jongin, pushing him towards the door.

“Oh, I see how it is. Just don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!” He snickered before finally leaving.

“Wait, that’s it? You’re done? It was so short!” I heard the girl say as she walked towards me.

I smiled at her. “We played for an hour.” I informed her. 

“An hour?” She checked her watch. “Really? I didn't noticed the time...” 

“Yep.” 

“Well…” Her voice trailed off. “You.. you---"

“Yeah?” I asked, curious to what she was going to say. 

“You didn’t play my favorite song like... like you always do.” 

I was shocked. 

I blushed and she noticed. “Well, you’re really talented, Francesco. Your music is so sweet and soothing to me, like healing. I try and come to all of your performances, but you know, schoolwork and stuff…” She started playing with her hair, wrapping it around her tiny little fingers. 

She’s nervous talking to me. 

I blushed again, but she didn’t notice. “I usually sit in the back, but I made a complete fool of myself tonight and got the whole bar’s attention, so why not go to the front?” She threw her hands up to emphasize the ‘why not?’ then continued tangling up her hair. 

I ped my guitar from its case and pulled it out. I slipped the strap over my head and adjusted it to my liking. “What’s your favorite song?” I asked as I took a seat in a bar stool. 

She gasped when she realized I was going to play it just for her and she became ecstatic. “’By Chance’! ‘By Chance’! It’s ‘By Chance’...” She whispered it the last time. 

“'By Chance' it is.” 

Hi, girl you just caught my eye

Thought I should give it try and get your name and your number

Go grab some lunch and eat some cucumbers

Marcella stared lovingly at my guitar, then at me, then back at my guitar.

Why, did I say that? 

I don't know why. 

But you're smiling and it's something I like  on your face, yeah it suits you

Girl we connect like we have bluetooth

She was completely captivated, I never knew my music would have this effect on people. She mouthed the words along with me, and swayed her body from side to side. I smiled at her cuteness and continued.

I don't know why I'm drawn to you 

Could you be the other one so we'd equal two?

And this is all based on a lucky chance

That you would rather add then subtract

She started dancing all around me during the chorus, then stood directly in front of me by the second verse.

You and I could be like Sonny and Cher

Honey and bears

You and I could be like Aladdin and Jasmine

I looked up from my guitar to lock eyes with Marcella. Her eyes are so beautiful. They twinkled and shimmered like a shining star in the night sky. My strumming started to slow, as I became completely mesmerized by her. 

Let's... make it... happen...

My voice trailed off and I stopped playing. I lifted the strap over my head and leaned my guitar against the wall, not breaking our gaze. Marcella took a step closer to me, brushing my shaggy hair out of the way with her index finger. 

“Your eyes are so beautiful.” She whispered to me. 

“You’re beautiful.” I told her. 

She smiled. I don’t know, but the fact that she actually took the time to listen to my music made me feel… something. Our lips were only centimeters apart until she pulled my shirt and placed a chaste kiss on my forehead. 

It only lasted a few seconds but it was magical. 

She pulled away and smiled. “Play it again.”