Last Wish

Last Wish

ONE SHOT

--

The sun sets on the beach again. The water reflects the sun’s rays. The sky loses its blue colour and the clouds leave.

Yuri took another photo of the setting sun; the sun sets and rise, but none of the photos she took is the same. That makes every day special.

She smelled the air and looked behind her. She smiled with contentment, seeing her girlfriend, Yoona packing her things. She steadied her lens and took a photo of her beloved.

She looked at the image she took; it indeed captured Yoona’s beauty. She walked where Yoona sat, on her usual spot, a bench near an angel statue. She felt a cold wind blew and it made Yoona shiver.

She took her cardigan, helped Yoona wear it and planted a kiss on her forehead.

“How’s my favourite writer in the world?” Yuri asked, and then wrapped her arms around Yoona.

“Almost there, this place really inspires me. How’s my favourite photographer?” Yoona replied, facing Yuri.

“You still look better than my shots,” Yuri replied.

“Cheesy,” says Yoona and hyugged Yuri tighter.

“Feeling cold? Let’s go home and rest,” Yuri said.

 Yuri drove Yoona home.

--

They decided to take a picnic the next day. They brought different kinds of food; they laid a mat near the angel and looked at the beach. Yuri looked at Yoona admiring the sight.

Suddenly, Yuri removed Yoona shoes.

“What are you doing?” Yoona asked.

“Let’s walk on the sand, come on, it’s not that far!”

Yuri dragged Yoona down, until they felt the cold water and the sand crumbling to their feet.

Their white dresses flowed with the wind, they both looked like goddesses.

Yoona held Yuri’s hand as they walked, “I heard a story about this beach yesterday,”

“What was it about?” asked Yuri.

“They say this beach is guarded by an angel that’s why it is called ‘Angel’s Paradise’; the elders made that statue to honour that angel” Yoona said, and pointed on the statue near their mat.

“It is a paradise, especially when I’m with you,” Yuri answered and looked at Yoona.

Yoona smiled and poked Yuri’s cheek, “they also say that the angel grants one wish!”

“What will you wish for, if that’s true?” Yuri asked.

Hmm…I wish that you would play with me on the water and carry me on your back!” Yoona said and laughed.

“Looks like your wish will be granted.” Yuri smiled.

She pulled Yoona and splashed some water into her. Yoona doesn’t want to lose and wet Yuri by splashing, too.

They both stopped and laughed. Yoona grabbed Yuri and kissed her lips.

“I love you, Yuri.”

“I love you too.”

Suddenly, Yoona twitched, she looked like she’s about to puke.

“What’s wrong?!” Yuri asked, worried.

“Nothing, I’m just a little tired.” Yoona said and smiled.

“Aish, I’ll still carry you on my back, you don’t have to act!”

Yoona laughed, “come, I’m cold”

Yuri carried Yoona on her back. Yoona rests her head on Yuri’s shoulders, and wrapped her arms on Yuri’s shoulders. They’ll be home soon.

“I love you,” she whispers on Yuri’s ears.

“I love you, too.”

Yoona closed her eyes, she knows there is something wrong but she shouldn’t mind, with Yuri, everything will be alright.

--

Yuri woke Yoona up, “come on baby, you’re home.”

Yoona smiled.

Yuri chuckled; she went down the car and opened the door for Yoona.

She poked Yoona’s cheeks; she really doesn’t want to go up.

Yuri decided to put her arms under Yoona’s knees and her other arm supporting Yoona’s neck. She kicked her car’s door to close it.

“Wake up!” she slightly shook Yoona.

Yoona opened her eyes and kissed Yuri’s cheek and wrapped her arms on Yuri’s neck.

“Fine, I’ll carry you up until your room, okay?” Yuri said and kissed Yoona’s forehead.

She did carry Yoona and laid her down on bed.

“Please stay,” Yoona asked.

“Just until I fall asleep”

“What’s wrong?” Yuri asked and sat on a chair beside Yoona’s bed.

“I just don’t want to sleep alone tonight,” Yoona smiled.

Yuri played with Yoona’s hair, “I’ll wait until you fall asleep, then.”

Yuri looked at Yoona until she sees her fall asleep. She smiled and took a photo using her cellphone.

She covered Yoona with the blanket and kissed her forehead.

“I love you, sweet dreams,” she said before she went home.

--

Yoona woke up in the middle of the night, and ran to the bathroom.

She vomits; she felt the sting on and nose. She felt the pain in her stomach as it pushes food and fluids out of her system. Tears build up her eyes as she cries from pain.

After a while, she felt a little better. She managed to get her phone, she received a text.

My beautiful Yoona, I know you’ll be asleep by this time but…I just want you to stop worrying. I will always be here for you. Sleep tight, okay? We’ll see each other tomorrow. I love you!

PS. The angel only grants ONE wish? Meh, I can carry you anytime you want! :P”

“Silly girl,” she thought.

Yoona replied,

I woke up suddenly because of your text! (Kidding) Can we see each other tomorrow late afternoon? I want to wake up a little late to rest. Keke. I love you, too!

PS. Carry me tomorrow, then. And the next day. And the day after that. *Huuuugs!*”

Yuri’s reply startled Yoona, “she’s still up?!”

“Okay, I’m still up because I’m editing pictures. Hehe. Your wish is my command, late afternoon’s fine. See you.

Sleep now, my love. I love you! Good night! *hugs back*”

Yoona replied,

I love you,too.”

Yoona felt something warm on her nose, she touched it.

It was blood.

Something really is wrong.

--

Yoona asked Yuri to meet her late in the afternoon because she will go to the hospital early morning.

“I’ve been feeling dizziness these past few weeks; I also vomit and last night, my nose bled right after I vomit.”

“Aren’t you stressed? Or being with lots of physical activities?” asked the doctor.

“No, I just write and I spend my days writing on the beach. I also look after what I eat. What could be wrong, Doc?” Yoona asked.

“I think it will be too early to draw conclusions, you should undergo tests and let’s see next week.”

Yoona has undergone different tests; it drained her.

She decided to send Yuri a message.

I’m here at our favourite ice cream stop. I’ll treat you ice cream!!”

Yuri replied,

On my way. ;)”

 Yoona walked slowly to their favourite ice cream; she feels really tired from all the needles and fluids injected to her. She felt bad for keeping her situation a secret to Yuri. Tears rolled down her cheeks, she tried to keep it from falling but she just can’t. She remembered Yuri’s message, “I will always be here for you.”

But what if I won’t be there for you long enough?” she thought.

She saw Yuri from afar, she ran to the wash room and wiped her tears and washed her face. She breathes and regained her composure. She hid behind the tables and covered Yuri’s eyes.

Yuri laughed, “come on, I know it’s you.”

They ate ice cream and went to the beach. Yoona felt better with Yuri beside her.

“Your eyes are puffy, why?” Yuri asked as she eats her ice cream.

“Too much sleep,” she lied.

“Want to see the angel again?” Yuri asked.

“With you, of course.”

They went to the beach and Yoona asked Yuri to sit down with her on the sand.

They talked and played until the sun sets.

Yoona grabbed Yuri and kissed her as the sun set.

“Yuri, I really feel safe around you,”

“That’s because I will forever protect you, Yoona.”

--

Yoona went back to the hospital for her results.

“I’m sorry, Ms. Im; I’m afraid it is cancer.”

 “How long will I live?”

“About six months…”

Yoona froze and cried all her heart out.

--

The first few weeks were a struggle for Yoona, trying to keep everything from Yuri. They will see each other late in the afternoon for her morning treatments. She can see her face sagging, she can see that she’s losing weight. She bears the pain of the treatment and the botter taste of medicine.

Yuri and Yoona sat by the beach.

“Yoona, is there something wrong?”

Yoona smiled trying to hold her tears.

“Why?”

“Are you not eating well? You’re thinner. Are you sleeping? You look tired. You look like you’ve also thinking a lot lately. What is wrong?”

Tears run down Yoona’s eyes.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to-- you still look beautiful, okay? Don’t get me wrong. Please. I still love you. Don’t worry, okay? I’m sorry, please stop crying,” Yuri said and hugged Yoona.

“No, it’s just that….I’ve kept this long enough,” Yoona said as she hugs Yuri tighter.

“Yuri, I’m really sorry, but listen to me,”

“Of course I will,” Yuri replied and wiped Yoona’s cheek.

“Yuri, I was diagnosed with cancer,” Yoona said.

Yuri froze, shocked.

“Wha-what?”

“The doctor said I only have six months,” Yoona continued.

Yuri clenched her fist, “HE’S NOT GOD TO TELL YOU HOW LONG YOU CAN LIVE!”

“But..Yuri, please stop,” Yoona cries.

Yuri burst into tears and knelt on the sand.

She hugged Yoona and kissed her forehead, “we’ll get through this. You have me.”

--

Yuri comes with Yoona for her treatment; she felt Yoona’s pain in every step. She buys her food, helps her with daily routines and drives her to the beach. Yuri still takes pictures and Yoona writes.

“You’re still my favourite photographer,” Yoona said.

“And you my favourite writer,” Yuri replied and kissed Yoona’s lips.

She holds her tears, she wants to show Yoona that she’s strong and they’ll get through this.

As months pass, Yoona worsens. She looks very weak and ill. She can no longer drive her to the beach because more treatment is needed.

Yuri talked to the doctor, “WHY DOES SHE LOOK MORE ILL THAN BEFORE?! YOU’RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH!”

“Ms. Kwon, please, we’re doing our best. It’s just that the cancer is…”

“WHAT? THE CANCER IS WHAT? KILLING HER? SHE’LL DIE SOON?!” Yuri shouted as she burst into tears.

“I’m sorry, Ms. Kwon. There’s nothing more we can do,” the doctor replied.

Yuri burst into tears.

--

Yuri went home to get clothes for her to change in the hospital.

She passed by her scrapbook, which she updates every day. It is filled with pictures of them together, three years of their life together. She treasures every photo, “things may be tough, but my love for you is stronger,” Yuri thought.

Tears come out of her eyes as she sees every memory in each page. She can see the changes happening. It stings her heart.

She took her camera and transferred the files to her laptop, she stumbled upon a video. She clicked and watched it. It is a video made by Yoona.

“Surprise! Hahaha. You left your camera for the first time, eh? Here’s a video for you! My favourite photographer, thank you for everything; from the pictures you take for us to see to the everyday drive to the beach. Thank you for visiting me here; you don’t know how your presence makes me stronger. Thank you for three years of us being together. I can’t imagine life without you. Yuri-ah, let me tell you a secret, your favourite writer writes a lot about you. You may read it soon, just wait. Yuri-ah, let’s go to the beach again and carry me, please? I love you! Kiss!~”

Yuri felt bittersweet after watching it. She packed everything and drove to the hospital. She bought Yoona a silver necklace with their initials.

“Yoona-shi, I watched that silly video of you. The doctor allowed us to go to the beach. Yay!”

Yuri carried Yoona to the car and drove to the beach.

They sat on the bench this time. Yoona rested on Yuri’s shoulder.

“I have something for you,” Yuri said.

She put the necklace on Yoona’s neck.

“It’s beautiful,” Yoona said and kissed Yuri’s cheek.

Yuri looked at Yoona, she took a photo; she saw how thin and weak she is. She can feel her chest sinking.

“Come, I’ll carry you,” Yuri told Yoona.

Yoona held on to Yuri, though she’s too weak that Yuri doesn’t feel any grip; she’s also too light for Yuri to feel much weight.

They watched the sun set, “thank you,” Yoona whispers lightly and kissed Yuri’s ear.

--

Yuri woke up to Yoona’s screams in the middle of the night.

She ran, called the doctor and held Yoona’s hand.

“What’s wrong? I’m here.”

“It’s too dark! I’m scared!”

Yuri was startled; the room’s bright because of the sun. She waved her hand in front of Yoona’s face. She doesn’t even blink.

Yuri cried silently, “shh, calm down,” she told Yoona.

The doctor told her that Yoona being blind is part of her sickness.

She talked to Yoona.

“I’m fine about it; the last thing I saw is your beautiful face by the beach. Isn’t that awesome?!” Yoona told her.

“Really awesome.”

“Please come closer,” Yoona requested.

Yuri sat beside her.

Yoona touched every detail of Yuri’s face, “I will remember all of you, Yuri”

Tears rolled down Yuri’s cheek, “don’t cry, listen to me,” as she wiped the tears off Yuri’s.

“When the time comes, read my letters, live your life, move on with me. You’re strong; I know you can do it,”

“No, Yoona, you’ll heal. We can get through this! You will live!”

“Yuri, my love, I’m tired, it hurts,” Yoona forced a smile.

“Please, don’t leave!”

“Yuri-yah, let’s go to the beach, please.”

--

 It was late; stars filled the sky, but still, they left.

Yuri carried Yoona out of the car, they stood near the statue.

“The letters are hidden by the angel,” Yoona told Yuri with a smile.

“Yoona…”

“Yuri, how does the sky look like?” Yoona asked all of a sudden.

“It is filled with stars, and the moon’s full; it shines so bright,” Yuri answered.

“How about the water?”

“The water is very calm. It reflects the light of the moon,”

“I think it invites us,” she continued.

“Let’s come closer.”

Yuri helped Yoona sit by the shore, feeling the sand and water.

Yoona traced Yuri’s hand, “All of my poems belong to you, my hopes, dreams, my thoughts, my heart—all of me; sorry I won’t be able to hold on much longer. Sorry that I won’t be able to take all of you, you may give it to someone else that truly deserves you. She will be healthier and she will be better for you,”

“Yoona..No…”

Drops of rain is felt..

“Was that your tears?” Yoona joked.

Yuri chuckled, “The sky cries with me,”

Yuri lifts Yoona up again, just like lovers do. She kissed Yoona’s forehead.

Heavier rain was felt.

She kissed Yoona’s nose.

She kissed both of her cheeks.

Then she kissed Yoona’s lips.

“I love you, Yuri,”

“I love you, Yoona”

Yoona’s head dropped and her arm fell. Yuri shooks Yoona.

“Yoona!”

 There are no signs of life anymore.

She rested Yoona’s head on her knee and she tried to wake her up; but she’s already gone.

She wrapped Yoona in her arms as she feels the heavy rain fall.

Suddenly, she looked behind her and saw the angel statue.

 “I heard a story about this beach yesterday,”

“What was it about?” asked Yuri.

“They say this beach is guarded by an angel that’s why it is called ‘Angel’s Paradise’; the elders made that statue to honour that angel” Yoona said, and pointed on the statue near their mat.

“It is a paradise, especially when I’m with you,” Yuri answered and looked at Yoona.

Yoona smiled and poked Yuri’s cheek, “they also say that the angel grants one wish!”

She lifts Yoona and ran to the statue.

“PLEASE TELL ME THE LEGEND IS REAL! PLEASE! I WILL DO ANYTHING FOR A WISH! PLEASE!”

Suddenly, the statue became so bright Yuri’s eyes can’t take it.

“Anything?” she heard from a voice.

It was the angel statue, the legend is real.

“Anything!”

“You have one wish. What do you wish for?”

“I wish for Yoona to be alive and healthy, she will never have this sickness again!”

“I will grant your wish, but in return, both of you will lose memory of each other.”

Yuri was startled; she laid Yoona to the bench.

She looked for Yoona’s letters, protecting it from heavy rain as she reads it.

The poems and letters are about their love for each other. She engraved every word on each poem in her heart and mind.

She looked at Yoona and kissed her one last time.

I love you, Yoona. I’m sorry.”

“I’ll accept it, no memories of her, in exchange of her life.”

“Your wish is my command.”

--

Yoona wakes up to her usual mornings. She is a popular writer of novels and the beach nearby inspires her to write more.

She sits and writes on a bench near the angel statue. She writes for an hour when suddenly, her paper got wet. She felt drops of rain and it seems like it won’t stop.

She stood up and ran to a nearby shade. She was about to reach her destination when someone hit her. She dropped her things.

“Oh no!” worried Yoona.

“I’m so sorry! I’m in a hurry, I’m looking for someone,” the girl explained while helping Yoona picked her things.

The girl stood up and gave her the rest of the things.

“Again, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to,”

“YURI!” a voice shouted from afar.

The girl who bumped Yoona quickly looked at the person who called.

“There she is! Again, I’m really sorry. Take care!”

And walked away.

Yoona shrugged and ran to get a shade from the heavy downpour.