Running away is not better.

A Prelude to Farewell

Heyyyyy! I'm back! *throws confetti*

I just saw the news about Sungmin postponing his enlistment so here's a chapter to celebrate! kekeke.

When i started the outline for this story, I thought this was going to be just a two-shot, but now, i think this going to be a wee bit longer. I split this chapter in two since it's too long compared to the other chapter. :)

Anyways, here you go!

-Akira 


He needed to get out.

Mainly because he was at a total loss; and at the same time he was scared. Just thinking about the idea of Sungmin breaking up with him made him nauseous. It didn’t matter if it was already dark outside; or if he didn’t know where he was going. He just needed to get away. He didn’t even bother getting his phone or wallet. He was too scared that Sungmin might break up with him through the phone; which will hurt more.

The air was chilly, but bearable. The stars were littered across the sky with the moon shaped like a frown. It seems like the moon was sad, like him. There were still some people outside. Some were people coming home from work, some grabbing a meal from the convenience store, and some look like they were just taking a walk. Maybe they also heard their lovers say that they were breaking up with them. He sighs.

After several minutes of walking, he found himself at the playground where he confessed his love to Sungmin. He chuckles out of hopelessness and sits at the swing. He starts to rack his brain for the reason as to why would his lover would want to break up with him.

He noticed that the neighbourhood was getting darker; the lights from the houses were gone, only the streetlights were giving light. He didn’t know what time he left, but judging by the look of things, it must’ve been pretty late already. Still, he couldn’t bring himself to go back to the dorms.

He almost died of shock when he heard a familiar voice from behind him.

“So this was where you were all along.” It was Heechul. He asked with a tinge of wonder in his voice. Youngwoon relaxed when he realized that it was his hyung and only gave a grunt as a response.

“You two aren’t talking to each other? Trouble in paradise?” the older chided Youngwoon; who was still brooding.

Heechul, not appreciating the lack of interest from the younger, comes closer and whispers “Keep that up and you’re going to lose him.” Apparently, he struck a nerve.

“Shut up! You don’t know anything.” Kangin snapped at his hyung.

“Well, actually I do; more than you, at least. I know for one that the both of you are scared to face each other.” Heechul stands his ground. He knows that even if the younger was mad, he wouldn’t hurt a fly. Kangin was glaring at him, not answering. He decides that the two needed a little push to fix things so he gladly gives his dongsaeng one.

“Look, Sungmin is a strong kid. But he’s scared less when it comes to stuff about the both of you. So please do the both of you a favour and man up.” He pensively smiled at Youngwoon, turned back and started walking away.

“Hyung” Though faintly heard; it was enough for Heechul to stop in his tracks.

“He’s going to break up with me. I don’t know what to do.” Youngwoon sounded defeated.

“What the hell?” Heechul was shocked. He was surprised that of all people, his dongsaeng will have this in his mind. “Where did you get that idea?”

“I overheard you two talking earlier.” Youngwoon still has his head down in hopelessness. The older pieced together what was happening and grinned to himself. He stopped himself from laughing out loud at how absurd the idea was.

This is going to be fun.

“Well, for a start, you can get your back there. Sungmin is worried sick.” Heechul started to pull Kangin out of the swings.

“I can’t face him right now! I don’t know what to say.” Kangin shook off his hyung’s hand and looked at him like he just said the weirdest thing in the world.

 “Just tell him what’s in your heart.” Heechul inwardly cringed because of how sappy that sounded.

Kangin, who was deep in thought, stayed silent while Heechul was smiling in anticipation of what will happen later. But he did want to his dongsaeng to get something out of this experience so he decided to give him a little advice.

“You have to be brave enough if you want any relationship to work out. If you just runaway everytime you’re scared, then you lose the people that you care about.” The older gives a still silent Youngwoon a reassuring pat in the shoulder.

Kangin took a deep breath and stood up from where he was sitting and looked at his hyung. He didn’t look as bad as when he saw him earlier.

“Thanks hyung.” Youngwoon smiled at him. “I’ll be back in a bit. I just have to think of what to say.”

“Thinking has never been your strong side. Just tell him what comes to that small brain of yours.” The older chided as he turned around and started to walk back to the dorms.

“Yah! Just get back and tell them I’m coming.”

“Yeah, whatever.”

Heechul stopped walking and admired the beautiful night sky. The crescent moon looked like an upside down smile with an infinite amount of stars accompanying it. It looked more dazzling because there were fewer lights on. He couldn’t help but remember memories of late night walks, hurried secret dates after practice, and that sweet smile from that Chinese man greeting him every morning when they woke up.

He also remembered that night when he suddenly left without a word, turning his and their group’s life upside down. That moment when he was utterly scared that he couldn’t even speak up to stop him from ripping his heart to shreds.

“If only we were brave enough” he sighs to himself and continues walking towards the dormitories.

 

Sungmin’s neck made a cracking sound when he turned his head too quickly at the sound of the door opening and closing. As much as he loved his hyung, Heechul was not the person he was hoping to see go through that door. It didn’t add that said hyung didn’t have anybody with him just added to the anxiety festering inside him.

“So, any news?” He asked.

Donghae and Eunhyuk saw Youngwoon leaving the dorms sometime around ten and he hasn’t come back since. Normally, this wouldn’t be an issue except for the fact that when they tried calling him, they discovered that he left his phone and wallet in his room. It’s now a little past 2am; and Sungmin is soon to have a mental breakdown because of worry.

“Sorry, I looked everywhere. I couldn’t find him.” Heechul lied. Though he feels sorry for lying to his dongsaeng and making him worry more than he should, he wanted Kangin to sort this out by himself; and the drama would make good entertainment for their boring evening. He then went to the kitchen and prepared popcorn.

“What’s the popcorn for?” A puzzled Donghae asked.

“Oh, it’s for the show. Heechul put the freshly microwaved popcorn in a bowl. He smiled. “Want some?” He offered some to the younger, who was sporting a confused look, and went back to the living room and found himself a spot on the sofa.

Hmm... he should be here in a couple of minutes. He chuckled to himself.

“Hyung, don’t worry too much. He’s going to be fine.” Ryeowook was trying to comfort him while Kyuhyun was on his other side, giving him a comforting rub at the back. He can relate to is hyung because he has somewhat the same case. But this is not about him. It’s his hyung who needs him right now. “Yeah, relax hyung. That hyung will come back when he feels hungry, anyway.”

After a several minutes of waiting, everyone’s attention suddenly went towards the door when they heard it open with a slam. It wasn’t surprising when everyone saw Youngwoon entering. But what was strange about it was he was panting, like he ran a marathon.

“Sungmin-ah...” He panted. He was still bent over catching his breath when all of a sudden; Sungmin was already halfway towards him.

In the ten years that they have known Lee Sungmin, nobody in the room expected what happened next; even Youngwoon who barely dodged the incoming fist.