Remembrance

Cage of Protection

Jongin touched the cold metal bars from under his fingertips, staring down onto the dull, motionless figure inside this cage, a smirk forming on his face. After all, this was his captured beautiful bird. Nobody was going to take him away. Nobody was going to rescue him. That was the way he liked it. He was doing this all to protect him. He hated how people bulled his beloved. Even his parents abused him, which Jongin winced at the thoughts. That’s when a soft voice called out to him.  “Jongin-ah…I’m hungry.”

“Alright Kyungsoo, I’m going to let you out now to cook something okay?” Jongin said, unlocking it as his loved one stepped out, tumbling into his arms as he has been down for hours. The older quickly got used to walking and headed towards the kitchen, turning on the flickering lights as his hands rummaged into the fridge. Once he got all the ingredients, the aroma of something cooking filled the kitchen. Jongin stepped inside, leaning his body onto the door frame, crossing his arms as he looked around. It was a plain setting, dull white walls, and no design, just white. A single dinner table took some space also, with two chairs that were made of a dark wood. No windows. This was after all, a secret place he kept Kyungsoo in.

“Jongin what would you like?” the older asked, eyes a gloomy color despite the smile on his face.

“Surprise me honey,” the younger said, turning his eyes away. That’s when he started to remember how they finally broke him…leading him to take them away to this world of their own. How Jongin hated to take Kyungsoo away from his family, his home but he couldn’t stand the emotionless Kyungsoo. How he hated that the older was to traumatize that he couldn’t show real emotions anymore.

“Darling the food is ready,” the older smiled, setting the warm meal onto the table as he took a seat. Jongin joined him as they ate in silence before he cleared his throat.

“Kyungsoo-ah, I’m going out to buy more stuff, is there anything you would like while I’m out?”

“Those red things with those thorns on the side,” Kyungsoo smiled.

“You mean roses right?”

“Ah- yes those. Roses are very pretty.” Jongin smiled at him once he got done eating, grabbing his coat as he started to lead the older back into the cage. Jongin closed the door as he placed the lock on it, turning the key. A single kiss was shared between them as the younger walked out into the outside.

 


 

Heading into town wasn’t a bad thing, after all it was dark. Jongin walked through the alleyways, spotting a man with expensive clothes on. Without hesitation, he grabbed the unknown man and slit his throat quickly, searching for a wallet as he finally found it. Taking out the cash, he left the dead body on the ground. A chuckle escaped his lips as he started to walk to the nearest grocery store, making sure that no blood was found on his clothes. Grabbing a shopping card, he started to stock up on the things that were needed for Kyungsoo to cook like seasoning, vegetables, rice and meat.

“Is that you Jongin?” someone called out, catching the attention of the busy male. Jongin looked towards his friend Sehun, a worried look on his face. They were practically like brothers and Sehun was the one who never told anybody where those two were going. “It’s been long huh? How are you and Kyungsoo?” he asked. The older swallowed hard, taking a quick glance at their surroundings.

“We’re fine…Kyungsoo is still…” his voice died out, hands trembling as he grabbed some instant noodles, not caring what flavor or brand. Sehun nodded his head as if he understood. Sehun strolled along with his best friend, whispering information when no one passed them or even came near them.

“They gave up looking for Kyungsoo…it’s been like that for a long time. When are you guys coming back…all of us miss you.”

“Sehun-ah, not until I get Kyungsoo to show his real emotions again,” Jongin replied, placing the items at the checkout, taking out the money that was needed. Carrying the bags, Sehun was still following him as they both walked out the store.

“I hope to see you again Jongin…maybe with Kyungsoo coming along alright?” With those words being said, Sehun started to go the other way, leaving the older outside as the sky started to lighten up by the moon and stars. He then started to head towards the flower shop that was luckily still open as he bought some roses, paying for it with the last of the money he had. His head was brought up, facing the night, tears dripping down his face as he started to recall the memories.

 


 

“Jongin-ah, when are you going to eat your vegetables? All you ever eat is chicken,” Kyungsoo scolded his lover, pouting his lips as he crossed his arms. The younger looked up, a bone of the eaten meat still in his mouth as he chewed it slowly, trying to eat even the smallest shred of what was left. “Are you even listening to me?” the older sighed.

“Yes I am Kyungsoo-hyung, why can’t you just let me off?” Jongin whined softly, taking the bone out from his mouth, throwing into an empty bag that was meant for trash. The older shook his head, rolling up his sleeves, revealing the countless bruises that were made from his abusive parents, making the younger give out a growl as he raised his body up, having a firm grip on his lover, making eye-contact.

“They’re still doing this…please just come live with me please,” Jongin began to beg, tightening his grip. The older frowned and looked away, soft words coming out from his mouth.

“I can’t…I can’t leave them. They’re be useless without me,” Kyungsoo tried to smile.

“Liar, we all know that they rather want you dead-” his words were cut off by an intense pain being struck on his cheek, a red mark appearing on there. The older had slapped him hard, the hand-print the very evidence.

“Jongin…please…don’t say such things like that…they love me, I know they do,” Kyungsoo sniffled. The younger bit his lips, pulling the older into a tight hug, never loosening his grip, in fear that he would lose his one and only love.

“I love you the most, I love you more they do and you know that. Please just leave that place. Please just run away with me. I hate how those people bully you just because your parents do the same. Run away with me before they break you…please Kyungsoo,” Jongin breathed, hearing the bell ring. None of them moved, just stayed still in each other’s arms, the older crying the hardest. “Please Kyungsoo…leave this place…leave this place with me.”

“Where are we going to go? We don’t have money to go anywhere…”

“We’ll figure it out later okay Kyungsoo…I promise,” Jongin tried to assure, making the other smile brightly.

“We should head to class…I’ll meet you after school okay?” Kyungsoo chuckled, leaving the other as Jongin sighed and stared at the blue sky, the clouds just shifting softly.

 


 

The day was coming to the end as Jongin was already roaming the hallways, looking for his lover. The younger gave out a questionable look at the surroundings as the older was nowhere in sight. That’s when he heard a crashing sound in one of the classrooms nearby, quickly opening the door to see Kyungsoo desperately clawing a desk, the lights shining through the window, revealing his bloody figure. Jongin immediately rushed to his beloved’s side, helping him stand up. The older violently coughed up blood, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. “I’m sorry Kyungsoo. I let you go through that experience ever again.”

“What am I doing here? Who are you?” Kyungsoo questioned, having a look of confusion. Jongin held the other’s head in place, seeing the hue of his eyes different, a different look. Thats when his sight trailed down towards the lower part, the pants down to his knees and a certain fluid running down those thighs.

“NO…NO...Kyungsoo...you don’t remember me? I’m your boyfriend.”

“My boyfriend...then those people who were touching me...why didn’t you come save me then?” Jongin’s eyes widened, his arms wrapping around the younger as he held on tight, feeling regret and guilt sweep throughout his body.

“i’m sorry Kyungsoo...I didn’t come to you earlier…I’m sorry.”

 


 

“Traumatic experience left Kyungsoo’s mind to be in a coma...like amnesia. It’s a wonder how shock can cause the mind to change,” Chanyeol said, being the neighborhood doctor that Jongin trusted the most. The older was reverted to a child-like mind, glancing at everything with interest. He didnt even remember his friends, only holding on to the information that Jongin was his boyfriend. He didnt even remember his parents.

“I guess we have to leave here...I already have a place in mind,” Jongin muttered, sighing deep. Chanyeol tapped the pen in his hands on his clipboard, taking sharp glances towards the older.

“I won’t tell a soul about you two disappearing. It will look like you two ran away though...are you willing to cause a scene like this in town?”

“You already know that Kyungsoo’s parents don't care about him as for me...my parents are dead. I know they’re dead without any news being received.”

“Jongin! There might be hope that your parents are alive.” Jongin refused to listen anymore as he grabbed Kyungsoo as they left the clinic. He was going to to walk over to his secret place along with Kyungsoo...and locked the older away from the cruel world. It wasn't the best decision, but it just had to work. He was determined to bring his Kyungsoo back….the Kyungsoo that he loved so much.

“Where are you taking me?” the older questioned, tilting his head and blinking with innocent eyes.

“To our home Kyungsoo. To a place where only you and I exist,” Jongin tried to explain. Kyungsoo nodded his head, clearly not knowing what was being said to him. No questions, no response to this. Jongin wasn’t used to this, not hearing any complaints coming from his beloved.

“W-What about the things we need? Like food or something like that.”

“Don’t worry about that darling. I already stocked up the fridge and when we need food, I’ll get some alright?” Kyungsoo nodded his head and was blindfolded by Jongin as he they both stepped into a house, a house hidden near the forest on a mountain. Nobody was going to find this house.

“It’s dark Jongin-ah...I’m scared.”

“Don’t worry. It’s a surprise darling. You’ll be able to see again soon,” he assured. The older nodded his head and stepped through something, feeling the warm hand on him go away, coldness settling in soon. A loud, screeching sound was heard from behind him as some sort of door was closed. The blindfold loosened and fell to the floor, the lights turning on as he was in some sort of cage.

“Jongin? Jongin? Where are you?” Kyungsoo called out, body shaking intensely.

“Kyungsoo-darling, I’m sorry for putting you in this cage, but its for your own good. The outside world is a bitter place for you now.”

“Bitter place?” Jongin tore his eyes away from his own cruelty and leaned in to place a kiss on his lover. He was going to get more stuff and didn't want Kyungsoo to tag along. After all, the town will be going crazy within a few days.


 

Jongin was already making his way towards the house, carrying everything he could before stepping into the building. The lights were off as he made his way towards the kitchen, putting the food away. His eye glanced towards a room as he walked inside, flickering the lights on. The cage was empty. Empty? How? How could Kyungsoo escape??? Was that possible?? Jongin started to panic as he searched every room in the house. having no luck. No! This couldn't have happen? Not like this. The younger started to make his way outside and noticed someone gazing up towards the starry sky and laying on the field full of blooming flowers. “Kyungsoo!” The older turned his head towards the other’s direction and smiled widely, a smile that Jongin soon began to remember. His Kyungsoo was back.

“Jongin-ah, doesn’t the stars look pretty tonight?”

“Kyungsoo-hyung…you remember…you always liked the stars,” the younger began to sob, going down on his knees and wiping the tears away. He was happy. Very happy that his one and only lover was back. The older held a smile and wrapped his arms around the other, rocking their body slowly.

“Thank you for taking care of me Jongin. True, that my old self wasnt ready for the bitter world, but with you by my side, I’m sure we’ll make it through.” Jongin brought his head up and kissed his lover, a kiss that meant everything.

“Shall we go back home Kyungsoo?” the younger said, intertwining their fingers together. The older nodded his head and started to walk towards the direction of the town before they head fierce footsteps coming towards their way. Vast police officers surrounded their bodies as Kyungsoo held on to the other tight.

“Kim Jongin! You are under arrest for the kidnapping of Kyungsoo and countless murders! If you run, we will shoot!”

“No wait! Officers you got it wrong! Jongin didn't do anything to me. He-”

“Kyungsoo its alright. You’re ready for the real world. I love you.” Kyungsoo’s eyes widen before he reached towards the younger, but Jongin sprinted away. The sound of a gunshot echoed in the field of flowers.