001

Sugar Soldier
001 First Day 

"...All freshmen, the welcoming ceremony will begin soon," a voice echoed through the halls. One highschooler stood in front of the bulletin board, searching for her name on the list. She wondered what class she was in but her thoughts were interrupted by the announcement. 'All freshmen...' she then thought to herself, her lips curving up to a small smile.

"Hi, Krystal!" A very familiar voice called out to her from behind. She looked back to see her best friend walking towards her, waving with a grin on her face.

"Vic!" She exclaimed, happy to see the friend that she hasn't seen all summer. Even if it wasn't that long, Krystal had still missed her best friend. They had little to no contact during their break because Victoria went to her hometown, China. With that said, this was the first time they've talked in quite awhile.

"Good morning," Victoria sang with a cheeky smile on her face. "Did you see? We're in the same class again, Class B!" Victoria was happy to be in the same class once again with the friend she loved the most.

"That's so great!" Krystal smiled happily, having the same feelings as her friend. Victoria then stared at her for awhile. She seemed to be think about something before she grinned again.

"Heh... The uniform seems to suit you very much!" A soft smile was on her face as she complimented her friend.

"R-really!?" Krystal was surprised to hear that. She wasn't used to compliments so she questioned back, being a bit insecure. "Do I look like a highschooler!?" She asked, excitedly.

 

Suddenly, they both hear some voices. "Ah, it's her! The cover model, Jessica Jung.. Her little sister!" Krystal looked back at them nervously and thought, 'Indeed, I'm already exposed...' She anticipated what they were going to say next. Her older sister, Jessica Jung, was a cover model, called as a genius, and a famous high school student too.

"Eh.. Little sister is pretty cute too!" They exclaimed. "That's right! She is!"

'Wha... What did they just say!?' The 15 year old thought to herself before turning back to her best friend. "Victoria, did you hear that!? They just said that I was cute!!" She was super happy from the compliment, beaming with joy.

 

Ever since she was a little girl, the word "Cute" only existed for her sister. There was one time when they were shopping, some new dresses were presented to them. "Quickly, try them on," the shop lady had said to Jessica. The older did so and when she came out, she received many compliments. "Ah, so cute! The color pink really suits Jessica.. She's pretty in everything!"

What Krystal thought at the time was that her unnie looked like a doll. A pretty and cute one too. She had looked up at her mother and told her. "Umma.. Krystal also wants a pink one.. A cute one.."

The answers she got were.. not so great to her liking. "Krystal isn't that suited for pink colors... That's right, Krys is more suited for colors more shallow.. Like what she's wearing right now!" That's what her mother and the other adults told her. What she was wearing was a dull, green colored dress. Not cute at all, she thought.

Just when the four-year old child was excitedly dreaming about become the princess-figure.. It was all impossible now. She was taught the cruelty of life earlier than the rest of the children her age.

 

Now back to the present time, Victoria smiled and patted the other's head softly. "Yeah.. That's great Krys! You must have worked hard on it, right?"

"Yeah!" Krystal smiled as bright as ever, happy just by that little compliment. She was already a highschooler. At least on the appearance, she decided she would work hard to become a shining highschooler. Moreover, she wanted to be cute.

 

There were a lot of chattering in the halls and some of the new freshmen were playing games. The speaker went off again, this time telling the teenagers what to do next. "All freshmen are to queue up by the corridor. Someone will then lead everyone into the sports hall, also known as the gym."

A male figure then started running to her, trying to catch a ball. "Idiot, where are you throwing to!" He didn't notice her and kept going after it. Krystal watched the ball fly over her head then the next thing she knew, she fell down. The boy fell on top her and there was a loud 'Crash!' sound. It caused a huge sound so everyone began to surround them.

"Ow..." Krystal mumbled to herself, laying on the floor under the boy.

"Sorry!" The boy got up quickly and turned to her, "Are you okay!?" He bowed to her in apology. There was a bit of worry in his eyes. Krystal had teared up a little, due to the pain of the sudden impact. When he spoke, she looked up and gasped a bit. 'Wah.. So handsome...' she thought in her head as the boy rambled on.

"Did you hit your head? Can you speak? Do you understand Korean?" The male kept going on. He didn't mean to hit her, he was just playing a game and wasn't aware of the young girl.

"What are you doing, Taemin!" A voice from behind shouted. "Catch the ball properly next time," he said as he ran over to the two.

'His name is Taemin... Ah I need to answer him!' She took a breath before answering, "I'm fine, don't bother! I'm Krystal," she introduced.

"I'm very sorry about just now," he apologized and bowed for the millionth time. 'Krystal?' He said her name in his head then out loud. "Krystal?"

The freshman looked confused, "Huh?" She asked, tilting her head and staring at him as he got closer.

"Krystal is 12,000 won? (around $11-$12)" He held up and looked at the price tag on her uniform. Taemin was super close to her, close enough to make her blush. Her cheeks turned a soft pink color and she backed up. 'Too, too close!'

"Ahaaaa!?" Taemin burst out laughing. "I'll buy it, pretty reasonable..."

His friend from before whacked him on the head. "What are you saying, you idiot!!" Krystal thought to herself, 'I was so focused on my hair this morning and forgot to take the tag off... So embarrassing, aish!'

Victoria then shouted out, "Krys, your back!" Krystal looked back and saw that there was a huge stain on the back of her uniform jacket. She had fallen on a box of juice. The speaker then spoke out again, "Freshmen, will you now please proceed to the Sports Hall. The welcome ceremony is about to begin."

 

Everyone was at the ceremony now, sitting in their assigned seats. Krystal was the only one with out the jacket. 'Aish... So embarrassing!' She thought again, looking down. There were many whispers about her.

"Why is that girl the only one not wearing a jacket?" One asked. "She seems to be Jessica Jung's sister," another explained. "Huh!" Someone else exclaimed, not knowing about the siblings. "I bet she did that just to attract attention..." The younger Jung felt like crying. 'It shouldn't be like this...' She could already imagine the older seniors wanting to beat her up. 'My first day of high school... My shining life..'

Then, someone poked her head softly. "Hey, Krystal." She looked up to see the person sitting in front of her. It was Taemin, whispering to her. "This," he held up his own jacket, "Wear it on?" He offered.

"Huh? But... It's fine! Moreover, it's my fault." She whispered back to him, receiving many stares from the other freshmen. "Besides, the size is too..." He didn't reply and just put his jacket on Krystal. They earned many stares from everyone. She thought to herself, 'It's really amazing... The way he rescues people is very handsome too...'

 

Ding dong!

The bell rang and the ceremony ended. All the freshmen began walking back to their classrooms. Krystal raised up her uniform and exclaimed happily, "That's great! It's already dry!" She smiled and thought to herself, 'Phew.. I shall go home straight away. My body and soul are already tired out..'

It wasn't exactly a regular, full school day. Only the incoming freshmen were supposed to attend today. It was to check for which classes they were in and also to let them attend the welcoming ceremony. After it ended, they were free to leave.

A few girls walked up to the Jung. "Ah, that bag is so cute!" It made the girl surprised but also very happy.

She wasn't used to being complemented. "Eh thank... Thank you!" Krystal smiled brightly and talked to them for awhile.

"You're Krystal Jung right?" The first girl asked. "It was really hard on you at the ceremony just now.." The same one stated.

"But as expected of Krystal, actually able to borrow the jacket from Taemin!" The second one exclaimed.

"Oh that's right!" The last girl began. "Really envious of you!" She smiled brightly.

"Taemin's really popular, huh?" The clueless girl asked the three.

"He's super popular! Although he has no girlfriend now.. Ah, is Krystal going after him too?" One asked with a cheeky grin on her face.

"Ehh!? How is that? I totally didn't have that thought!" The girl argued back. The male then walked in and greeted them.

"Hey you few!" He waved, a smile on his face. The girls squealed.

"Taemin oppa!" The first one smiled. "The bored freshmen are saying to organize a friends' outing.. How about it?" Another one of them asked.

"Sure, I'll go!" He agreed, the same smile still on his face.

"How about you, Krystal?" The last one asked, a smile on her face too.

"Uh, yeah.. I'll go too." She agreed too, smiling a bit. They walked out with the group that organized it. "Yeah yeah!" She nodded, feeling happy. 'Is it because Taemin suddenly got involved?'

 

It was pretty noisy outside, the freshmen chatting while waiting to go home. A tall, slim figure was waiting by the stairs, looking at her phone. She looked up and saw Krystal, exclaiming happily. "Ah, Soojung!!" A bright smile was on her face.

"Unnie!?" Krystal shouted, surprised that her sister was here.

"Wahh! Amazing! It's Jessica Jung! The real person!" Everyone circled around the siblings.

"W..why?" Krystal asked the older Jung, confused.

"Ah, I was a little worried about you so I came over," she explained. "Moreover, I have a shoot around here today, so I dropped over here on the way," Jessica added.

"So slim... Her hair is so beautiful! The real person is just so cute!" Everyone around them adored her.

Jessica continued to talk to her sister. "You left the house so early in the morning.. Oh, you look so cute in the uniform though!" she complimented. "The navy blue ribbon really suits you, I wish I was like that again!"

"Is it a suggestion from Jessica?" A girl questioned, curious.

'Eh...' Krystal frowned and thought. 'No! It was my own choice,' she wanted to scream. But she couldn't... Her voice wouldn't come out.

"Indeed... It's still completely different.." A guy whispered. "Yeah, when standing together," a girl started. "Jessica is so pretty!" The other girl finished her sentence.

"Jessica, everyone is going to hang out together... Want to go together with us!?"

"Oh can I..?" She smiled brightly.

"Oh yes you have to!!" A girl with pig tails said happily. "I want to listen to stories about models!" A guy then shyly suggested, "Let's take pictures together!"

"Okay then! It should be fine before the shooting time.." She agreed and explained to everyone.

"Really!? Uwahh! That's great!" Everyone said happily.

 

Meanwhile, the lonely freshman walked away from the group. Her sister got all the attention again. It wasn't surprising anyway, she would always be the one, duller than her sister. She would always be after her sister.

One person, however, noticed her leave. It was Taemin, the boy he just met today. "Hey! Where are you going?" He called out after her.

"Even if I'm not going... Talking to unnie is always better and more interesting too.." She gave him a fake smile to make it seem like she was okay.

"Why? I want to know things about you too, Krystal!" He told her honestly. It was his true feelings.

Surprised by his comment, she ran off. "Hey Taemin! Come quickly, Jessica's leaving soon!" His friend, Jonghyun called out to him.

He looked back at him, a bit angry. "What is this all about? Is that fellow's sister some kind of celebrity?"

"Eh!? You don't know!? That was the super famous cover model, Jessica Jung!" Jonghyun replied back, looking shocked that Taemin didn't know who the girl was. He got no response, as the boy just looked back to where Krystal ran off.

 
                                                                                                                                                                                         eg *  
 
 author's note 

Here's the first chappie! It wasn't edited (None of my stories are if any were wondering.)

Normally Sulli would've been put as Krystal's best friend but in the manga, the best friend has a motherly feel 

so Charmz thought Victoria was perfect. But don't worry, Sulli will still appear later on, of course! Happy reading! <3