My Last Hope

My Last Hope - Kris

BEEP BEEP BEEP

It was you versus the alarm and the snooze button wins, shutting off the extremely loud and obnoxious noise for a few minutes allowed you to sigh and fall back asleep before round two was called. Pushing yourself up, you turned off the alarm, finally silencing the small yet horrible device for good. Swinging your legs over the edge of your bed, your hand grabbed the covers and pulled them from your legs while your feet stood on the cold carpet below. Throwing the covers back over the top of your bed, you made your way to your closet.

Looking at your school uniform that hung over the door of your closet, you sighed at the same routine day after day, slipping into your khaki skirt that ended at your lower thigh, you put on your collared navy blue button up and tied the small scarf under the collar of your shirt. Slipping on your blazer, you looked at yourself in the mirror, combing through your hair, you pulled some of it up because it was a special day.

Your birthday.

Smiling at yourself, you applied some light makeup before grabbing your backpack and walking to school in your favorite shoes. Earbuds were soon placed in one ear while you walked to the beat of your favorite songs.

The thicker, grey clouds slowly drifted down giving the city a lonely cold feeling for the day. A gentle wind kissed your exposed skin, causing you to shiver, you pulled your coat around you tightly, hiding any exposed skin that you could.

Your mind wondered to what you friends could have been planing for you, if they would have presents or something sweet for lunch just for you. Smiling as your feet walked up the hill to the school, you bit down on your lip while excitement swelled within you.

The school soon came into view while the light storm clouds made it seem like it was the only building around, the fog soon covered the surrounding buildings as well as the top of the school. Turning into the gates, other students sleepily filed in before the bell was going to ring.

Scanning the faces that stood around, you tried to look for your group of friends. One of them happily waved at you, skipping over to them they all greeted you and continued their conversation as you quickly caught onto what they were saying.

Once the bell to start school began, the students scattered to their classrooms. Taking your seat, you pulled out your notebook and pencil for the class, finding it odd that your friends didn’t even say that it was your birthday. Brushing it out of your mind, you just held onto the hope that they were going to surprise you later.

Graphite scratched onto the lined paper below as you moved your hand jotting down notes that you would, hopefully, find useful in the future. Time started to pass quickly as one class lead to another and another.

Another bell sounded, letting you know that is was lunch time, Gathering your things, you lifted the book filled backpack onto your shoulders, walking down the hall to the cafeteria. The less than satisfactory smell of food made your stomach growl, standing at the back of the line, your eyes found your group of friends all gathered around together.

Finally, you made it through the line with your food filled tray, heading over to sit with your friends you took a deep breath thinking that if they were going to do something this would be the perfect timing.

"Hey" You took your seat, folding the skirt under you.

"Hey, wasn’t Mr. Woo’s lecture boring?" One of your friends started talking.

"I didn’t think so, I think he was just very passionate about it. It was really fun to listen to." You interjected your opinion as they nodded and changed the subject.

Getting lost in their conversation, your eyes wondered over to the table that Kris, your boyfriend, always sat at. With his friends around him, you caught him looking at you as he smiled at you and waved cutely to you. Glancing down at your food, you smiled and blushed a little before you looked up, he made a little heart with his fingers then he blew you a kiss.

Shaking your head at his cute attempts to try and make you smile, you failed miserably but he cheered you up. Turning to your friends you were hoping that they would do something for your birthday, but maybe they needed a little push.

"Do you guys know what today is?" You sang leaning over the table at them.

"The Chemistry test" One of your friends said as you shook your head.

"Oh the new substitute in English should be really cute today" Another tried to guess.

"No~" You tried to encourage them but they looked at you all wide eyed and confused.

"We better go, I had a few questions on my Math homework." Another friend said as the other friends nodded.

One by one they all stood up, leaving you alone. Poking at your food, you sighed knowing that they have forgotten, resting your head in your hand, you ate small bites, disappointed that your friends didn’t remember.

The clack of a tray being set down on the spot across from you, your eyes slightly lifted.

"Hey" You sighed moving your food around. Kris watched you, tilting his head slightly before he tapped your head with his finger.

"Is something wrong jagi?" He asked softly as your head lifted, your eyes meeting his. Shaking your head, you sighed again, placing a little bite of food in your mouth.

"Did something happen with your friends?" Kris reached across the table and brushed his lengthy fingers along the backside of your hand that was holding your head up.

"No" You replied sourly. Just then the horrible bell sounded, putting down your utensils on your tray you looked up at your boyfriend’s face that was laced with concern.

"It isn’t anything really." You tried to reassure him. Not fully convinced, he nodded his head still. Standing up from his seat the two of your turned in your trays.

"Do you mind if I walk you to class?" Kris asked looking at you, wanting to make sure that you got to class safely.

"I don’t mind." You replied, gently slipping your hand through his, he squeezed your hand lovingly before the two of you walked up the stairs to your class.

”________, would you mind if I came over later? I have something to give you.” He stealthily questioned.

"Sure, you can come over anytime." You looked up at him upon reaching your next class.

"Thank you for walking me to class, Fanfan." Straining a smile, you looked into his chocolate eyes.

"No problem" He ran his thumb over your fingers gently, as a little reassurance to whatever you were going through.

Walking into your class, you found your seat and started the classroom routine all over again. Class after class, you sat until you heard the triumphant sound of the bell, releasing everyone from classes for the day.

With such a happy occasion, getting out of school and your birthday, you felt so low, so different than you felt this morning. Leaning against the back of your chair, you heard the class leave while your eyes watched your hands that rested in your lap.

As the last person made their way out of the classroom, you heard the door click behind them while a single tear ran down your face. Dripping off of your face and landing on your shirt, you closed your eyes letting the built up tears fall from your eyes.

Tightening in your chest was the only thing that opened your eyes, wiping away your tears, you stood up from your desk. Pushing in your chair, you lifted your backpack onto your shoulders, feeling heavier than before you slowly shuffled your feet out of the room.

Just wanting to be alone, you walked up to the roof, the foggy atmosphere, pushing through the doors you lifted your feet up to each step feeling more pressure in your chest than you ever imagined. Pushing open the final door, you were welcomed by the cloudy atmosphere and the cool air that surrounded you.

Looking around, you didn’t see anyone and for once you were glad. Slamming the door behind you, your hands went up to cover your face, the weight on your shoulders pushed you lower and lower. Letting one hand move from your face, you walked over to the concrete wall and looked down, seeing all of the people below and seeing all of the friends together in their groups made you feel worse.

Turning around, you sat yourself down on the concrete and pulled your knees up to your chest, your head rested on your knees while tears stained your skirt below. Sobs rattled your body violently as your lungs just tried to get enough air into your body causing your breath to hiccup and make you cry more.

Not feeling like you mattered to anyone, you cried your eyes out, with no more tears falling, inside you were still crying, still beating yourself up, wondering what you should do.

Little did you know, your boyfriend, was standing at the entrance of the rooftop, shifting his backpack into his hands. Shaking the coat off of his shoulders, he placed his backpack on one of his shoulders before carefully walking over to you.

The sound of sneakers gripping the concrete below caught your attention as you lifted your head to the person that was approaching you. Kris stood beside you, but he knelt beside you soon after your eyes were on him as he placed his coat over your legs. Once the navy blue coat was covering your legs, his eyes met yours, slowly raising his hand he placed it on your cheek and wiped away all of the trails of tears that had formed.

"Baby girl, what’s wrong?" He probed wanting to help you. Shaking your head gently, you didn’t want to tell him but he sat beside you, taking your hands out of your lap and into his warm, large hands.

"Please, tell me." He begged quietly, with his chocolate eyes so comforting and open, you leaned your head on his shoulder.

"They forgot" You whispered quietly. Taking in a shaky breath, you closed your eyes, letting more tears run over your face. "They forgot about my birthday."

"Your friends?" Kris questioned trying to get the full story. The nodding of your head against his shoulder made his heart sink. Wrapping his arms around you, he lifted you up and placed you on his lap, your head rested now against his white button up shirt.

"I am sure they didn’t mean to forget." He tried to comfort you, petting your hair and holding you close to him. Your fingers felt the fabric of his shirt and gently tightened holding the fabric in your grasp. The constant thumping of his heartbeat soothed you, closing your eyes you shook your head once again.

"They forgot." You whispered, looking down at you in this state, he couldn’t take it anymore.

Minutes passed with you just sitting in his embrace, his arms wrapped around you, his shoulders rounded trying to protect you and take every pain away from you that he could, his head resting on your as he tried to think what you were thinking.

"H-How did you find me?" You whispered opening your eyes, while your fingers gently ran over the buttons of his shirt.

"I went to your place to give you something but no one was there, I came back here. Then I tried to find you around campus but then I remembered where we both hid out when we were in trouble for staying too late, and that is where I found you." He soothingly talked to you and placed a kiss on your head.

"What did you want to give me?" Your breath still hitched from time to time but you looked up at him, he moved his head from on top of yours. His arms moved from around you as he pulled his backpack over to you. ping the backpack, he pulled out a white box with your favorite colored ribbon holding the box together. Pulling the ribbon, the bow came undone as the box unfolded revealing your favorite pastry.

"Happy Birthday _________, my love and my baby girl." He kissed your temple as you looked down at the sweet gesture.

"You remembered" You whispered gently taking the pastry from the box and holding it in your hand.

"I couldn’t forget something that is related to you." He replied with a smile. "I have something else for you too."

He reached into his backpack and pulled out another little box, it was black velvet and it looked in pristine condition.

"Open it." He urged softly, nodding your head, you took the box in your hands and opened it up to reveal two rings, one bigger than the other.

"W-What are these for?" You asked, looking up at him slightly in shock.

"I thought we should have couple rings and I couldn’t think of a better day to give them to you." He tells you lifting the smaller ring out of the velvet box. "I wanted to make you my official girlfriend." He gently slid on the ring up your finger as you then slipped his on.

"I’m, honored and this is the best birthday present that I have gotten today." You smiled up at him, genuinely.

"I have a lot more birthday surprises for you in the years to come." He smiled kissing your cheek gently, while wrapping his arms around your torso.

"i can’t wait to see them all." You rested your head back on his shoulder as the two of you watched the clouds pass slowly around you.

Feeling his ring with your finger and feeling the band around yours you couldn’t stop smiling knowing that he didn’t forget about you like so many others had. Kris Wu Yifan was your last hope.