L-earn

L.O.V.E

Jinwoon checked his appearance once again in the mirror and smiled satisfactorily at himself.

You clean up good Jung Jinwoon.

He put on his shoes and left his apartment to pick Jea up at hers. This was a first for him. Their first official date.

Relax Jinwoon. You’re a handsome and cool guy. This is nothing.

He had met her several times before through work and although she was always serious while working, she was a funny and quirky girl outside of the office and that was what attracted him to her.

------

Jea opened the door and he stood there frozen. She looked gorgeous with her short red dress and her hair let down.

Wow.

He had pictured her in a dress before but nothing he imagined had prepared him for what he was seeing.

Goddess.

“Jinwoon?” She waved in his face; snapping him back to reality.

“Ah yes..urmm..ah..you look great.” He stuttered.

So much for being cool.

Jea chuckled at his silliness. “Wanna go now?”

“Yeah..” He cleared his throat.

------

She sat there singing along to the song playing on the stereo in his car. He had never met a girl like her. She is so carefree and so unique. He smiled listening to her beautiful voice as he continued driving towards the restaurant where he had made a reservation.

I can get used to this voice.

“It’s my favourite singer.” She told him when she noticed him noticing her sing.

He checked the stereo and saw the name Eric Benet.

So that’s her favourite singer.

“Why are you so quiet? Am I boring you with my singing? Sorry.” She turned to him.

“Ah..no..I’m just like this when I’m driving. I tend to be too quiet.” He told her.

“Oh. I thought it was my singing.” She heaved a sigh of relief.

“You have a great voice.”

“You too.” She smiled at him.

“When did you hear me sing?” He raised an eyebrow.

“The other time at your office. I overheard you sang that 2AM song in the copy room. It was nice.” She told him.

“Oh..thanks.” He said quietly; embarrassed by the memory.

She just smiled and they returned to their silence.

------

“What would you like to eat Jea?” Jinwoon asked as he scanned through the menu in his hands hungrily.

“What are you having? She returned his question.

“I’m having the steak with all the fixings.”

“Sounds good. I’ll have the same.” She smiled at the waiter and returned the menu in her hand.

“Steak? Really?” He asked in amusement.

“Why not?”

“No nothing. I just thought that you were going to order something lighter.”

“I’m not like any other girls Jinwoon. When I eat, I really eat.” She told him.

He just smiled at her last comment.

Of course you’re not like any other girls.

------

Two months later…

“Which movie do you want to watch?” Jinwoon asked Jea as they both stared at the screen flashing the list of movies available in the cinemas.

He was certain that she would pick a chick flick.

“Let’s watch Saw.” She said excitedly.

“Seriously? Won’t you be too grossed out?”

“Try me.” She smiled slyly and pulled him to the counter.

------

Jinwoon kept silent while driving.

“Jinwoon..?” She lightly shook his arm as he pulled up the car in front of her apartment building.

“What is it?” He tried to sound normal.

“Why aren’t you talking again?”

“Nothing.”

The truth is he was embarrassed. He didn’t think that he would be more grossed out by the movie than Jea was. She was hardly affected by it at all and he was constantly closing his eyes with his hands to escape the terrifying scenes.

“It’s alright. The movie was really gross.” She tried to coax him.

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

She just sat there and stared at him.

“What?” He asked.

“Nothing. You just look cute when you’re all serious.”

Jinwoon smiled unconsciously when he heard her compliment.

She thinks I’m cute? SHE THINKS I’M CUTE!

“And now that you’re smiling, you look even cuter.” She told him.

“And I like cute guys.” She whispered to him before getting out of his car and entering her apartment building.

------

“Jinwoon again?” Miryo asked when she saw Jea smiling at her phone.

“Yeah..he’s just telling me about his recent trip back to his hometown.” Jea told her.

“You seem happy.”

“I can’t don’t be happy when there’s someone who’s trying so hard to make me happy.” She smiled at Miryo.

“I’m glad you’re happy but don’t make him a replacement for the void that Joong Hoon left you.”

Joong Hoon’s name brought painful memories into her chain of thoughts. She had almost forgotten what it felt like to be with him. To be fooled and hurt so deeply by him.

No. Jinwoon is not Joong Hoon. He’s different.

------

Jea came out of the car and sat on its boot. She looked up to the sky and sigh to herself looking at the beautiful stars.

“It’s a beautiful night isn’t it?” Jinwoon walked towards her and sat beside her on the boot.

“So this is why you brought me here? To see the stars?” She asked.

“Not really. I brought you here because this is one of my favourite places and I wanted to share it with you.” He smiled earnestly.

“So you’re sharing with me your favourite place now huh?” Jea .

“Yeah..pretty much.”

They stayed silent for awhile after that. He caught her zoning out and thinking about something serious.

“Is something bothering you?” He asked.

“I’m just thinking about some stuff.”

“Care to share?”

“I don’t think you wanna know.”

“Try me.”

He listened intently as she told him about what exactly was on her mind. She was thinking about Joong Hoon. She told him about how her relationship with Joong Hoon had started and ended. She told him about the pain that she went through because of her relationship with Joong Hoon.

She looked up and turned to him. She leaned in and whispered in his ears, “Thank you for listening.”

“Thank you for sharing.” He smiled at her.

“I hope you don’t get the wrong impression. I’m over him. I really am. It’s just that he was someone who once meant a lot to me.” She said.

“I didn’t think that way. Don’t worry. I don’t care about your past. Whatever happened then is over now.” He told her.

“Jea, I can’t change your past but I hope I have a place in your future.” He said sincerely.

She flashed him a smile.

“The only reason why I told you all these is because I wanted you to know that this is my past and I have nothing to hide anymore and that I want you to have a place in my future.”

Jinwoon lightly caressed her face and smiled warmly at her.

“I’m gonna make you fall in love with me.”


E-N-D