It's Summer

Monster Beside Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Minji-ah! Let’s go to the beach!” Bomi and Kai had stood in front of Minji’s house with the complete stuff to go to beach. Minji squinted her eyes while look at both of them.

“If I win this match can we go out during the summer break?” that what Kai said to Minji before he won the football match. She sighed while looked at Bomi and thought, ‘well he didn’t say that we will go just the two of us.’

“What’s wrong? Are you mad at me?” Bomi said. Minji didn’t answer her.

“I..I want to go too! I want to be together with everyone!!” Bomi yelled and made Minji had cold sweat because of her weird thought before.

“I didn’t say anything though,” Minji said and turn her back. “Wait here, I’ll bring my stuffs,” Minji said then go in to his house. Not long after that, she’s back with a back, an usual granny clothes, with additional straw hat.

“You are really a granny,” both Bomi and Kai mumbled.

“What?” Minji asked with cold tones while glaring at them. Both of them gulped then shook their head.

“By the way, for your information, I can’t swim, so I defenitely won’t swim,” Minji said. Bomi nodded and showed his thumb. “It’s okay Minkki,” she said.

***

The view in front of them was the view that Minji hadn’t seen since long time. She took a deep breath and stared at the crowded under the sun. Many people run, sunbath, and swam.

“huh, when was the last time I came to the beach?” Minji thought.

“Huuu....” Bomi and Kai said in the same time. Minji looked at them and could see clearly how sparkling their eyes are.

“huuuuwaaaaaaa!!!!!” Bomi and Kai screamed at the same time then ran to the water. Minji smiled at them then started to blow her swim ring.

“Gong Minji! Look at us!” Bomi yelled. Minji stopped blowing then looked at her silly friends. Kai position his hands like he was ready to toss volley ball. Bomi smiled excitedly, she then jump to Kai hand. Kai tossed Bomi so she flied and she made a back flip.

“Air Back Flip!” Kai and Bomi yelled before Bomi dove in the sea. Minji froze at her place. She didn’t believe that her silly friends able to do a dangerous thing.

“Huwoooo!! It’s fun!” Bomi yelled as soon as she rose.

“You should try to Minji-ah,” Kai said then run to the frozen Minji. He hug Minji then lift her up.

“Wa... Wait. Kai!” Minji fluttered when she realized what would she face.

“My swimsuit,” Minji said. But Kai ignored her and kept walking to the sea.

“At least give me my swimring!!” Minji said, but Kai didn’t listen at all. He threw his self and Minji together at the sea. The last thing Minji remember was bubbled that released from and the shining sun that could be seen from under water. Since that day before she completely closed her eyes she swore to her self that she’d never go to the beach with those two people again.

***

“Why are both of you waste your time in the morning of summer here?” Youngbae asked Kai and Bomi while cleaning his game centre. Kai and Bomi looked at their cellphone with full of determination face.

“I’ll go first!” kai said. Bomi just smirked. She sat like a boss while blowing her nails while looked at Kai who put his phone on his ears.

“Darn! She hung up on me again!” Kai said and makes Bomi laugh hard.

“If you keep calling her continously thinking that she’ll pick up, then you’re wrong!” bomi said. Kai glared at Bomi angrily. It’s different than the first time they met. First time they met, Bomi will scared if Kai glared at her. Now, she used to it. Both Bomi and Kai had been friends, it’s thanks to Minji. Their world had become wider.

Bomi reached out her cellphone and pressed Minji’s number. She was sure, Minji will pick up. In Bomi’s mind, she is Minji’s bestfriend afterall.

“Hello Minkki, is that you? I am...”

“You are annoying,” Minji answered with a cold tone then hung up her phone. Bomi freezed at her place. She could feel wind blowing around her.

“Yo!” Dyo greeted them. He then could feel the gloomy atmosphere in the game centre.

“What’s wrong with you two? I thought you and Minji went to beach. Now why are you frowning here? Btw, where is Gong Minji?” Dyo asked then throw his self in sofa beside Bomi.

“Minkki,” Bomi said while look blankly. Her soul left her body since she called Minji.

“She is giving us the cold shoulder,” Bomi said and make both Youngbae and Dyo laughed.

“That’s what I thought. The last time you went there, you nearly kill her,” Dyo said. Youngbae laughed then nod.

“Bae hyung, by the way, i am free tomorrow,” Dyo said then face Youngbae. Youngbae nod and lit his ciggarate.

“Cool. Wanna go then?” Youngbae said. Kai looked at Dyo and Youngbae back and forth. He didn’t understand at all what they were talking about.

“What are you talking about?” Kai asked.

“River fishing!” Dyo said while showed Kai his peace sign.

“Wanna go?” Youngbae asked Kai.

“That’s right, we could go together. Bomi and you should join too. AH, We also need to ask Minji to come with us,” Dyo said.

“It’s impossible,” Bomi mumbled to her self.

“Kai, let me borrow your cellphone,” Dyo said then grab Kai’s phone on the table.

“Minkki probably won’t go. We invited her so many times, but she refused them all,” Bomi said while keep stared blankly.

“Okay, see you soon!” Dyo said before he hung up the phone. Both Kai and Bomi face Dyo. “ She said she’ll go,” Dyo said then smiled at Kai and Bomi.

“DON’T THINK YOU WON!!” Both Bomi and Kai yelled at the same time to Dyo.

“What are you guys mad about?” Dyo said innocently.

***

“Dyo, I didn’t prepare anything. Is that really okay?” Minji said while looked outside of car’s window. She could see mountain’s view from there. It’s been a long time since she enjoyed this moment. “Hmm, it’s okay,” Dyo said while stared at maps.

“You freak! How come you never said yes when we invited you to go places but when Dyo invited you, you said yes immediately!” Kai kept yelling and protesting since Minji came to the car.

“Minkki, it’s okay. I’ll be waiting for you forever, until the day that the permafrost melts,” Bomi said while drawing circle in the window. Dyo and Youngbae laughed at the view behind them.

***

“Yoon Bomi, diver 1, will jump from here!” Bomi yelled from 3 meters high hills. She jumped then roll in the sky before dove in the river. “Then, I am Kim Jongin, diver 2, will jump from an even higher place,” Kai said then jump from 5 meters hills. Bomi cheered from river. Dyo, Youngbae, and Minji stood there and amazed. Minji sighed and her nightmare to be thrown in the water come again. She shook her head then help Youngbae preparing for their fishing.

“I think I know why you didn’t want to go with them,” Dyo said and helping Minji.

“Minji-ah, since you are a beginner, today’s goal is to fish up char or true trout,” Youngbae said. Minji nodded and paid attention fully to Youngbae.

“Here, this is the bait. What do you want to choose, worms or salmon roe?” Youngbae said and showed Dyo and Minji the bait.

“I want worms, using salmon roes as a bait seems like a waste,” Minji said. “I want salmon roes,” Dyo said. Youngbae nod then give a pack of worm to Minji and a pack of salmon roes to Dyo. Three of them then prepared the hook for fishing. Minji got special tutored about how to hook the bait from Youngbae because it’s her first time fishing.

“Youngbae oppa, if I fished a lot of fishes, can I bring them home?” Minji asked while throw the rope.

“Sure if you are able to do it. But, I don’t think you’ll be able to catch because it’s not a good place,” Youngbae said.

“Moonlight diving!!” Kai yelled then jumped and splashed Minji,  Dyo, and Youngbae.  Minji rolled her eyes then understand what Youngba said earlier.

“Let’s go to up stream,” Dyo said. Minji nodded. “ Then you go there. I’ll be here to lit up the fire,” Youngbae said. “Okay hyung,” Dyo said and showed his thumb up. Both of them then go to the upper stream to fishing. Dyo and Minji were having fun with fishing. Minji could learn something new about fishing. Learning something always be an interesting thing for her, so basically she is having fun with learning how to fish. Kai and Bomi were having fun by doing something crazy.

“Kai! Look! Fish!” Bomi yelled then point the group of fish that hide under the hill.

“You’re right, and there are many of them,” Kai said then dive in to fish place. Bomi laughed hard when she saw how Kai tried to catch them by hand.

20 minutes after that Dyo came back alone with frowning face. Youngbae looked at Dyo who walked with annoyed expression. He smiled and found it interesting because Dyo is not the type to frown. When he saw Dyo walked without any single fish with him, Youngbae then knew what’s going on.

“Oh, what’s wrong? We came here especially to fish, but you haven’t been able to fish, I feel sorry for you,” Youngbae said then giggle. Dyo sighed then sit beside Youngbae who cut the vegetable.

“It’s just that I don’t have any luck today,” Dyo said while sighing. “Ah! The fish pisses me off! I don’t want to fish ever again!” Dyo said while stomping his feet. Youngbae just laughed at him.

“Then I win over you Dyo!” Kai said. He actually still a bit pissed because Minji answered Dyo called and said yes to him immediately. Both Youngbae and Dyo looked at Kai and Bomi who came to their place. Kai was holding a bunch of fish in his hand.

“I saw fish swimming everywhere so I decide them all,” Kai said with proud expression.

“Look, we get many!” Bomi saiid happily.

“Are you a tarzan?” Dyo and Youngbae said at the same time.

“I win over you, Dyo!!”  Kai stated again. Dyo furrowed his eyebrows.

“I don’t have any intention to compete anyway,” Dyo said.

“Well, I win! I win!” Kai said. He didn’t want to lose to Dyo. “Okay, okay. Think whatever you want,” Dyo said then helping Youngbae cutting vegetable.

“By the way, where is Minji?” Kai asked while grabbed his towel. “that’s right, where is she? It’s the time for lunch?

“She went up to the upper current,” Dyo said. Kai wore his dry shirt. “I’ll go call her,” Kai said after finish wearing clothes. “Ah, then me too,” Dyo said then stood. Kai stopped walking then looked at Dyo. He felt that he need to accompany Kai, since Minji went up there with Dyo. Bomi realized that both Kai and Minji needed their time together. Since they came to the mountain, both of Minji and Kai hadn’t talked properly.

“Ah, let’s help Youngbae oppa with lunch. Kai, you go tell Minkki that she can come back,” Bomi said then hold Dyo. Dyo got surprised because Bomi never wanted to be near and so touchy with any boy beside Kai and Youngbae.

“A..ah. O..okay,” Dyo said then he sat again.

“Okay then I’ll go,” Kai said. Bomi nodded enthusiastically then wave at him.She felt excited anything about Kai and Minji.

***

‘I got a hold of the secret technique to fish,’ Minji thought. She took a deep breathe then threw the rope.

‘2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13,...’ She counted the prime numbers while concentrate fully to her fishing pole.  ‘389, 397, 401,...’ she kept counting altough her fishing pole kept unwavering.

“Minji! It’s time to eat!” Kai called her. Minji fliched and lost her concentration. She sighed then answered at Kai, “Oh okay, I’ll fish for a few more minute then I’ll be riight there.” She rolled her rope again and realized that the worm had gone from there. Kai sat silencely beside Minji while looking at Minji.

“Is it fun?” Kai asked. Minji looked at him while took a worm.

“Well, it’s fun. Although I haven’t catched any fish yet,” Minji said and hook the worm in her rope. Kai smiled at her. “Then that’s good,” Kai said. Minji stop hooking then look at Kai. “I thought you would say you’re bored or something,” Kai said then look at the stream.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter