Chapter 6

The Murder Game

*One month later*

Kyung couldn't stop thinking about Zico. He kept wondering if things would have been different if they'd met in a more normal manner. All he knew about Zico was that he seemed to be an assassin too. It would be nice if they could meet again, but he didn't even get a chance to ask for his number. However, there was no time to waste, as his phone had started buzzing again.

"Kyung, it's me, Jaehyo. You've got another assignment. Be happy the boss wasn't too angry about your recent failure. This time, you'd better not mess up"

He thought back over how his earlier assignments used to be. He'd find large lollipops which contained the names of the targets. It was a of luck that he'd found out that Jaehyo, his friend for the last 5 years, also worked for the same boss. Since then, he'd receive calls from him with details of the targets. Unlike him, Jaehyo wasn't an assassin but seemed to be the assistant of their boss, which worked out well for him. He replaced the poison in his blow dart and made his way to the venue, determined not to fail again. However, something seemed to be off about the whole thing. There was a huge wave of photographers and journalists, arguing with the police, just outside the venue. He asked the photographer closest to him about what had happened.

"Haven't you heard? He's been poisoned".

Poisoned? That was strange. Poison was his method. His specialty. Perhaps it was just a coincidence. That man could have eaten something and died. Thinking nothing of it, he called Jaehyo to update him so he could get his next assignment.

"One week later*

"Park Kyung, your target is Mr. Yoo of XXX Corporation. He will be attending the Gala dinner held at X Hotel. Your job is to take him out at the parking lot once the Gala is finished. You may use any method you want, but take care not to get found out. If you do, then you put all of us at risk".

He didn't have too much of time, but he had to make sure he didn't fail at all. He set to work making a cast from plaster of Paris and cut out the bottom of an old cane he had saved from high school. Carefully, he fitted his dart to the bottom of the cane in such a way that if he applied a little pressure, the needle would come out and would feel like an insect bite. He took care to use the thinnest needle he had, which would make the tiniest hole for the poison to go through. All he needed to do was put on the cast and pretend to have a broken ankle. Limping around, with his cane, he only had to pretend to stumble near Mr. Yoo and poke him right next to his ankle and make his escape. It would take about 20 minutes for the poison to mix into the bloodstream, by which time he'd be long gone. It was easy as pie and foolproof. After double checking that everything was good, Kyung left for the Gala. After spending his time socializing with the beautiful women who swarmed around him, he found that it was almost time to make his move. Limping towards the parking lot, after calling for a taxi, he readied himself to strike. He looked around for Mr. Yoo but was shocked to not find him anywhere. He should have already left the Gala by this time. He walked towards Mr. Yoo's car to find him on the floor, convulsing, with froth coming out of his mouth.

Not knowing what else to do, he knelt and checked Mr. Yoo's ankle. He broke into a cold sweat when he saw an almost imperceptible dot of blood. The symptoms Mr. Yoo showed was that of a man who had been bitten by a snake, yet there was only one spot, small enough to be made by a needle. It couldn't be! This was a technique he had developed, using the venom of the black mamba snake, as just two drops were enough to kill a person. As all the symptoms would point to a snakebite, everyone would assume that it had been an accident. How could someone else use his technique? No one else even knew about it. No one except his childhood friend with whom he had discussed this, during a game of 'Assassins'. There was no doubt about it. He had done it. His friend, Woo Jiho. But why?