Popcorn

Popcorn

this is for jenny cuz she’s my lil daffodil and i love her a lot (◕ω◕✿)

 

5k of hunhan fluff

 

idk what’s going on anymore tbh

 

 

 

 

 

 

After two weeks of working at the movie theater, Luhan had come to the realization that he really hated the smell of popcorn, and he was pretty sure he had a stalker.

 

 

“Hi,” Luhan refrained himself from saying ‘again’ as he looked at the tall, lean boy in front of him.  His hair was basically a rainbow and Luhan hated to admit that he could actually pull it off.  “What can I get you today?”  he tried to mask the irritation in his voice, but failed miserably.

 

 

“Hi Luhan.”  the boy said.  Luhan rolled his eyes slightly.  The boy looked at him expectantly, like he was waiting for something.

 

 

Luhan sighed loudly.  “Hello, Sehun.  Now, can you just tell me what you want to eat?  Popcorn?”  Luhan eyed Sehun’s friend, who was trying not to laugh.  Stupid teenagers.

 

 

Sehun placed his elbows on the counter and leaned forward.  “Do you know if there are any job openings here?”

 

 

“I don’t know,” Luhan snapped.  “Now just tell me what you want to eat.  My shift is almost over.”

 

 

“Popcorn, I guess.”  Sehun straightened up, a frown covering his face.  “Why are you so rude to me?”  he asked.  Luhan ignored Sehun as he opened up the popcorn maker and almost gagged at the smell.  He filled up a small bag and handed it to Sehun, wincing a little when the other boy let his hand brush over his.

 

 

After Sehun had paid, Luhan wiped his hands on his jeans and sighed.  Just thirty more minutes, and then he could go back to his dorm room and have fun trying to finish all of the assignments he had.

 

 

“Do you want to watch the movie with me?”

 

 

Luhan stared at Sehun.  “What?”

 

 

“I said, do you want to watch the movie with me?”

 

 

“I —“  Luhan turned away from Sehun’s intense gaze.  “My shift doesn’t end for thirty more minutes.  Besides, you have your friend there.”  Luhan nodded towards the boy standing next to Sehun.

 

 

“You’re done in thirty minutes?  Okay, I’ll wait then.”  Sehun grinned.  He handed his bag of popcorn to his friend.  “Here, Jongin, go watch the movie.”  he said.

 

 

“Are you kidding me right now?”  Jongin said.  He shoved a handful of popcorn into his mouth.  “You drag me here every day so you can see him —“ he glared at Luhan “— and now you’re making me watch a movie alone?  Why do I even bother with you.”  Jongin grumbled.

 

 

Luhan sighed as Jongin angrily stomped away, spilling a small amount of popcorn in his wake.

 

 

“Do you need any help?”  Sehun asked as Luhan pressed his hip to the counter and leaned against it.  It was a really slow day, and the movie theater was basically empty, except for a few girls who were giggling as they made their way to the bathroom.

 

 

“No.”  Luhan said shortly.  He sighed.  “Go watch the movie with your friend.”

 

 

“I will…”  Sehun said, his face falling a little.  “But I wanted to see if you would like to go on a date with me, Luhan.”

 

 

Luhan tried to ignore the blush that was creeping up on his cheeks.  “You don’t even know me!  Dammit, the only reason you know my name is because of my name tag.  If it weren’t for that, you wouldn’t even know it because I would’ve never told you because you’re weird and you’re practically stalking me.”

 

 

“I’ll take that as a yes.”  Sehun smiled.

 

 

“What!?  You’re crazy —“

 

 

“You never said no.”  Sehun leaned forward.  Due to his long torso, he was able to get pretty close to Luhan and the older boy back away nervously.

 

 

“Well I’m saying no now.”  Luhan said.  “Now please go away or I’m going to have a restraining order put on you.”

 

 

Sehun just patted Luhan’s cheek and gave him another smile before walking away.

 

 

 

()()()

 

 

 

That night, Luhan found it hard to concentrate on the essay he was supposed to be writing.  He knew that it was because he couldn’t stop thinking about Sehun, but he blamed it on his roommate, Baekhyun, who was playing video games at an obnoxious volume.

 

 

“Can you turn that down?”  Luhan said, his voice thick with irritation.  Baekhyun snickered and set his controller down as he turned off the small TV that they’d crammed into their dorm room.  Luhan massaged his temples before focusing his concentration on the stupid essay that was due tomorrow.

 

 

“Okay, tell me what’s up, because you’ve been a grump since last week.”

 

 

“Remember that kid I told you about?  The one who comes to the movie theater I work at every day?”  Luhan closed his laptop and joined Baekhyun on his bed.

 

 

“Mhmm,” Baekhyun nodded.

 

 

“Well, okay, he asked me out today.  The first time I saw him was two weeks ago.  He doesn’t even know me!  He’s so cheeky too — and he doesn’t know how to take a hint.  Also, his hair is a freaking rainbow.”

 

 

“A — what?”  Baekhyun raised a single eyebrow, a skill Luhan wished he had.  “Rainbow?  What are you going on about.”

 

 

“I mean he dyed his hair rainbow-colored.  You know, yellow and red and blue and —“

 

 

“Okay okay, I get it.  How old did you say he was again?”

 

 

“I didn’t,” Luhan sighed.  “I don’t know how old he is but he’s definitely in high school.  Why do I always attract younger guys?”  Luhan covered his face with his hands dramatically and rested his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

 

 

Baekhyun patted Luhan’s head awkwardly.  “Maybe because you look like you’re fourteen?”

 

 

Luhan straightened up and slapped Baekhyun’s thigh.  “Shut up.”  he snapped.

 

 

“Hey now, it’s true.”  Baekhyun pointed out.  “You could always try updating your look so you look a little older.  Like get rid of that Spongebob t-shirt, for one thing.”  Baekhyun smiled at the cartoon figure on Luhan’s shirt.  “You’re almost twenty.”

 

 

“But I like this shirt,” Luhan tucked in his chin and looked down.  “But yeah, maybe if I look older, Sehun might realize that I’m out of his league.”

 

 

Baekhyun snorted.  “You’re not out of anyone’s league, Luhan.  You can’t even pour milk into cereal without spilling it.”

 

 

“Shut up.”  Luhan muttered, making a mental note to never prepare cereal in front of Baekhyun again.  “I’m going shopping.”  he stood up.

 

 

“You’re broke.”  Baekhyun said unhelpfully.

 

 

“Yeah, but my parents aren’t.”

 

 

 

()()()

 

 

 

It was a good thing that Luhan’s mother had always disliked his clothing choices, so when Luhan called her up to tell her that he was changing his wardrobe and going for a new look, she’d been all too happy to put some money on his credit card.

 

 

“Who’s the special someone?”  she asked.

 

 

Luhan almost dropped his phone.  “T-There’s no one,” he spluttered.  His mother should know better than to ask that.  The only person he’d ever dated was a girl in the fourth grade, only to find out a week later that she only dating him for the amazing lunches his mom had always packed him back then.  Incidentally, during that same year, Luhan had realized that he wasn’t all that into girls anyway.

 

 

“Mhmm, sure.  Just make sure he’s good for you.”  

 

 

Mom!”  Luhan whined.

 

 

“Have fun shopping, dear!”  she laughed before hanging up.

 

 

For Luhan, shopping was the opposite of fun.  He didn’t dislike it or anything, but he just had a hard time knowing if something looked good on him and whether it fit or not, which was why he usually stuck to basic jeans and t-shirts.  Thankfully, the salesgirl at the store he selected was actually pretty helpful, and together they created a new set of outfits for him.

 

 

Baekhyun was fast asleep by the time he got back, so Luhan quietly set his shopping bags down and decided to skip his usual nightly shower — he’d take one in the morning.  

 

 

It took him a while to fall asleep that night, partly because he was a little nervous about wearing his new clothes to the college and because he knew he’d see Sehun at work later.

 

 

 

()()()

 

 

 

Luhan plastered a fake smile on his face as he waited for a pair of girls to pick the type of candy they wanted.  They were taking forever, and Luhan was pretty sure they were laughing at the top he was wearing, which was some type of vest thing that Luhan could barely comprehend.  Back in the store, he thought it had looked good.  But now, he was vulnerable and out in the open, and he was beginning to regret his fashion choice.

 

 

“We’ll get two boxes of Junior Mints please,” the shorter girl said.

 

 

Finally, Luhan thought as he reached under the counter to get the candy.  After the girls left, a couple approached the counter.

 

 

Luhan felt ridiculous for even looking around to see if Sehun was in the theater, and he felt even more ridiculous for feeling a bit empty when he wasn’t.

 

 

It’s only because you’ve gotten so used to him being here, Luhan tried to sooth himself, but it wasn’t really working.  At least the theater was crowded today, so that helped distract Luhan a bit.

 

 

When his shift finally ended, Luhan waved goodbye to Minseok, the quiet boy who worked alongside him at the concession stand.  Minseok waved back timidly, and Luhan sighed as he made his way out of the theater.  He was digging around in his wallet for his bus card when he walked into someone who was standing right outside of the exit doors.

 

 

“Oops, sorry —“ Luhan looked up and his stomach flipped over when he saw that it was Sehun.

 

 

“Hi!”  Sehun said cheerfully and Luhan groaned out loud.  Sehun either didn’t notice or he just ignored it.  The younger boy was giving Luhan elevator eyes as he looked at his outfit.  “New look?”  he asked.

 

 

Luhan really hated the fact that Sehun noticed he wasn’t wearing his usual attire.

 

 

“Yeah.  Actually, I bought these clothes so maybe you would realize that I’m an adult — I’m almost twenty — and that you’re just a kid, and you need to stop stalking me!”

 

 

“You dressed up for me?”  Sehun grinned and Luhan slapped a hand to his forehead.

 

 

No, dammit.  I would never dress up for you.  Now I have to go.”  Luhan finally found his bus card and pulled it out, tucking his wallet into the pocket of his pants.  He realized that Sehun’s friend, Jongin, was nowhere to be seen, and curiosity got the better of him.

 

 

“Where’s your friend?”  Luhan asked, regretting it immediately.

 

 

“Oh, he couldn’t come today, because I told him I wanted to be alone with you.”

 

 

Luhan was having a hard time swallowing and he tried to stay calm so his cheeks wouldn’t turn pink.

 

 

“Did you not just hear me?  I said I’m almost twenty.  How old are you anyway?”

 

 

“Sixteen,” Sehun said proudly.  Luhan looked up at the sky.  This couldn’t get any worse.  Sehun really was just a kid.

 

 

“But I’m turning seventeen soon.”  he added, as if that made it better.

 

 

“Okay well, look, I’m sure you’re a really nice person and all that but I’m into older guys.”  Luhan said.  “And I um, have a boyfriend.”  he lied.  Where did that come from?

 

 

The look on Sehun’s face was absolutely heartbreaking and Luhan kind of wished that he could take back the lie.

 

 

“Oh,” Sehun said quietly.  “I didn’t know that.  I’ll leave y-you alone then.”

 

 

Luhan just stood there, absolutely frozen, as Sehun started to walk away, his head hung low and his feet dragging across the concrete.  Luhan tried to swallow the guilty lump in his throat and he couldn’t get Sehun’s heartbroken face out of his mind as he walked towards the bus stop.

 

 

The ride home felt lonely for some reason.  Luhan had never really given a second thought about it, but there was just something about sitting in a bus full of people who didn’t even glance at him that was just so saddening.  Luhan tried to tell himself that the lie was a good thing, and that Sehun wouldn’t bother him anymore, and that he shouldn’t even be feeling upset because he’d only ‘known’ the boy for two weeks.  But as Luhan thought about it a bit more, it was kind of endearing — the fact that Sehun had a crush on him.  No one had ever liked him.  Not even Baekhyun — who fell in love with literally everyone.

 

 

When he got back to the dorm room, Baekhyun was nowhere to be found, and it just made Luhan feel even worse, because he was really in need of some company right now.  He eyed his laptop, which was half-buried under a mess of blankets and he ran a hand through his hair.  He’d completely forgotten about his essay, and it was due today.

 

 

Luhan knew that the essay was going to be a total fail, since he was so distracted and he was even more distracted by the fact that he shouldn’t be distracted.  As it got later into the night, Luhan couldn’t take it anymore, and he just bullted his way through the rest of the essay and sent it in.

 

 

He stayed in the shower until he couldn’t stand the sound of running water anymore and he toweled himself dry before getting dressed in his pajamas.  After lazily brushing his teeth, he gathered his things and made his way back to the dorm.  He frowned when he saw that the door was locked.  Baekhyun must’ve come back, finally.

 

 

Luhan didn’t have his key, so he pounded loudly on the door.

 

 

“Baek!”  he called out.  “It’s me, open the —“

 

 

The door swung open and Luhan was greeted by a flustered Baekhyun.

 

 

“Didn’t you get my message?”  Baekhyun asked, his voice high and squeaky.

 

 

“What message?”  Luhan tilted his head and then tried to walk inside, but Baekhyun pressed a palm against his chest, stopping him.

 

 

“What are you doing?”  Luhan said, irritated.  He just wanted to go sleep and not think about what had happened with Sehun.

 

 

“Um, I —“ Baekhyun was tripping all over his words and Luhan’s question was answered when a tall guy who looked vaguely familiar appeared behind Baekhyun.

 

 

“Oh.”  Luhan almost dropped his shampoo bottle.  “Sorry, I —“

 

 

“Could you go,” Baekhyun whispered quietly so Chanyeol wouldn’t hear.  Chanyeol.  That was his name.  Luhan mentally patted himself on the back for remembering.

 

 

“I’m in my pajamas,” Luhan whispered back.  Was Baekhyun really going to do this?  Apparently he was, since Luhan found his arms suddenly empty.  Baekhyun had tossed all of his toiletries and his towel into the dorm room.

 

 

Please,” Baekhyun said.  “Okay, see you later!”  he said, his voice at a normal volume.  Then he shut the door in Luhan’s face.

 

 

 

()()()

 

 

 

Looking back on it, Luhan realized that giving Baekhyun the silent treatment wasn’t the smartest thing, considering the boy was his only friend.  Two days of ignoring his roommate had been tough, considering Luhan wasn’t one to hold grudges.  But after Baekhyun had kicked him out of the room, Luhan had been forced to sleep on the couch in the common room and it’d been incredibly awkward when everyone else on the floor had witnessed him sleeping there.  Luhan had cringed, because he was pretty sure they’d all assumed he was passed out from drinking or something.

 

 

He sighed deeply as he got off the bus and made his way to the movie theater.  There was no way he could fake a smile and pretend to be cheerful today.  He’d gotten a C- on his essay and even though he’d been expecting it, it was still disappointing.

 

 

“Hey Luhan,” Minseok said quietly.

 

 

“Hi,” Luhan replied.  For a brief moment, he wondered if it would be weird to rant about his problems to Minseok.  Deciding it would be, he silently took his place behind the counter and looked down so he could roll his eyes a little at the long line that was forming.

 

 

A week passed by.  And then another.  By the middle of April, Sehun was now a small dot in Luhan’s imaginary rearview mirror.  But for some reason, he couldn’t get Sehun completely out of his mind.

 

 

Luhan thought he had things under control.  His grades were good, he had a job, Baekhyun was incredibly annoying now that he was dating Chanyeol, but he was still a great friend to Luhan.  Everything was just fine until Sehun showed up at the movie theater again.  He wasn’t alone, but he wasn’t with his friend Jongin either.  He was with a girl.

 

 

Luhan tried as hard as he could to keep his face smooth and void of emotion as Sehun sauntered up to the counter with brunette girl by his side.  She was very pretty and looked around the same age as Sehun.

 

 

“Hi Luhan.”  Sehun said, acting as if this was just one of his normal trips to the movie theater that he went on just to see Luhan. 

 

 

He isn’t here for you this time, Luhan thought to himself.  Which was good, right?  Sehun had moved on, clearly.  And that meant Luhan was off the hook about feeling guilty for hurting him.  Well, that’s what was going on in Luhan’s mind right now.

 

 

He was also a little bit disappointed, because it’d been nice, knowing that someone had been crushing on him.  Even if it was a high schooler with rainbow hair and a small smile and eyes that were a warm, chocolate brown —

 

    

Luhan had to place a hand on the counter.  This wasn’t good.  He could feel little butterflies fluttering around in his stomach.  They were small, very small, but they were there nonetheless.  He avoided Sehun’s eyes and opted to stare at his arms instead, which was a terrible idea because they were lean and muscular and Luhan swallowed twice, trying to compose himself.

 

 

“Hi.”  Luhan finally answered.  “What can I get you?”  he smiled at Sehun, then turned to the girl and gave her a smile as well.  Why?  Because he was friendly, nice person who was not semi-jealous of a dumb high schooler’s girlfriend.  Or whatever.  Girlfriend, friend, it didn’t matter.  Because Sehun didn’t matter.

 

    

You’ll find yourself someone, Luhan told himself.  Someone who’s older than you and who’ll take care of you and make you feel loved.  Someone who’s attractive but can be cute at times and —

 

 

“We’ll have a medium popcorn,” Sehun said.

 

 

We.

 

 

“Okay, sure.”  Luhan said.  He glanced at Minseok, who was tending to a customer, and then went over to the popcorn machine.  He filled up a bag half-heartedly and handed it across the counter to Sehun.

 

 

“Are you alright?”  Minseok scurried over to him when Sehun and the girl had left.

 

 

“What?  Of course I am, don’t be stupid.”  Luhan said.  He stared at his hands, and sniffed them.  Yuck, popcorn.

 

 

“I’ll be right back,” Luhan said before hurrying off to the bathroom.  

 

 

On the way there, Luhan tried to think of a rational explanation as to why he was just the teeniest bit upset from seeing Sehun with a girl.  And he didn’t even know what the situation was between the two, which made it even more ridiculous.

 

 

He walked into the bathroom, immediately going over to the sink and lathering his hands up with soap, scrubbing hard to get rid of the popcorn smell that apparently really loved to linger on his skin.  When he’d dried his hands, he sniffed them, smiling when the only thing he smelled was lavender.

 

 

Checking himself out in the mirror, Luhan straightened his shirt.  Right at that moment, someone came into the bathroom.  Luhan didn’t react at all, just continued to smooth his shirt and fix his hair a little bit, when he saw a shock of rainbow-colored hair swim into view.

 

 

Luhan froze.

 

 

Sehun smiled.

 

 

Deciding his shirt looked okay, Luhan started to make his way out of the room, but Sehun grabbed his forearm. 

 

 

Luhan nibbled on his bottom lip, then turned away.  “Yes?”  he said, mentally praising himself for sounding so calm and collected.  He gave Sehun a leveled gaze and tapped his foot against the tiled bathroom floor.

 

 

“The offer still stands.”  Sehun said.

 

 

“What offer?”  Luhan asked, slightly unfocused because Sehun’s black t-shirt looked really, really good on him.

 

 

He’s sixteen!  Luhan told himself.  Stop, just stop.

 

 

“The offer to go out on a date with me,” Sehun grinned.  Luhan’s gaze wasn’t so level anymore.

 

 

“Shouldn’t you be watching a movie with your girlfriend?”

 

 

“She’s my cousin.”

 

 

Oh.

 

 

Oh.

 

 

“Well still, it’s rude to leave her alone.”  Luhan pointed out.  Sehun just shrugged.

 

 

“Were you jealous?”  Sehun still had that dumb grin on his face.

 

 

“What!?  No, don’t be stupid —“

 

 

Sehun took a step forward.  “Luhan, look.  I really like you.  And… you don’t have a boyfriend, do you?”

 

 

Luhan’s heart thudded in his chest.  “I — h-how did you — I do… have a boyfriend…”  Luhan finished lamely, not sounding convincing at all.  Sehun raised an eyebrow.

 

 

“Okay, fine, I don’t!  But I don’t want one either.  So this whole thing — the crush you have on me — has to stop.”  Luhan realized Sehun was still holding his arm and he blushed a bit, freeing himself from Sehun’s grasp.

 

 

“Why won’t you just give me a chance?”  Sehun asked.  

 

 

“Because you’re younger than me, and it’s just weird, and you’re in high school.  I’m in college…”  Luhan replied.  

 

 

“Age only matters if you decide for it to,” Sehun said.  “Besides, you look like you could be in high school, so it’s not like anyone would give us weird looks when we’re out on the street, holding hands —“

 

 

“Is this what you think about?”  Luhan squeaked.  “Holding hands with me?  You’re so —“

 

 

Sehun reached for Luhan’s hand and held it gently.  “Well, yeah, but it’s no longer a dream now.”

 

 

Luhan couldn’t stop the butterflies that blossomed in his stomach and his cheeks turned rosy.

 

 

“If you still don’t like me after our date, I’ll leave you alone.”  Sehun let go of Luhan’s hand.  “So will you give me a chance?”

 

 

 

()()()

 

 

 

“I can’t believe this.”  Baekhyun was doubled over with laughter, holding his stomach.  Luhan tried to ignore him as he tucked his wallet into the back pocket of his jeans.  

 

 

“Shut up,” Luhan said.  “You’re so annoying.”

 

 

Baekhyun put his hand on Luhan’s shoulder and breathed down his neck.  “Can’t… believe… you’re Sehun’s boyfriend now.”  he Luhan’s earlobe and Luhan squeaked in surprise.

 

 

“I’m not his boyfriend, okay?”  Luhan pushed Baekhyun away.  “I’m just going on one — one — date because he said that after this he’ll leave me alone.  And if your tongue ever makes contact with my skin again, I’ll tell Chanyeol that you still your thumb in your sleep.”

 

 

“I do not!”  Baekhyun glared at him.  “But fine,” he mumbled.  “Can I ask why you’re so dressed up?”

 

 

Luhan frowned, looking down at his shirt.  It was just a simple long-sleeved t-shirt in a cream color.  “What are you talking about?”

 

 

Baekhyun shrugged.  “I dunno, you just look… nice?”

 

 

Luhan rolled his eyes.  “Whatever.  I have to go.”

 

 

“Have fun with your boyfriend,” Baekhyun burst out laughing again.

 

 

Luhan slammed the door behind him.

 

 

 

()()()

 

 

 

Luhan shouldn’t be this nervous, but he was.  He’d almost laughed when Sehun had suggested that they see a movie, but in a way, Luhan was relieved.  Watching a movie meant Luhan wouldn’t get tongue-tied because there wouldn’t be much talking required.

 

 

He was sitting on the stone ledge of the fountain that was in front of the movie theater, checking his watch frequently.  He was five minutes early, so it wasn’t like Sehun was late or anything, but Luhan had always hated waiting for people alone, because he was always convinced that people were laughing at him or judging him.  

 

 

Luhan was just looking inside his wallet to make sure he had brought enough money when he felt the presence of someone standing in front of him.  He glanced up, swallowing audibly when he saw Sehun dressed up in a button-down shirt with his hair brushed up and away from his face.

 

 

“Hi,” Luhan said.  He stood up.  Sehun was smiling and he continued to do so as they walked to the theater so they could get their tickets.

 

 

Sehun insisted on paying, even though Luhan adamantly protested.  Feeling embarrassed because Sehun was sticking to his side like glue, Luhan went over to the concession stand and almost died of embarrassment when he saw Minseok behind the counter.

 

 

Minseok’s eyebrows were lifted slightly and Luhan sighed a little, knowing that Minseok would question him about this at work tomorrow.  

 

 

“What do you want?”  Sehun asked.  Luhan’s hand was inside his wallet, some money in between his fingers.  He didn’t want Sehun to pay for everything and make this more of a date than it already was.

 

 

“M&Ms please.”  Luhan said to Minseok, ignoring Sehun.  Minseok rang him up, and Sehun, quick as a wink, handed Minseok some money to pay for Luhan’s candy.

 

 

“Sehun!”  Luhan whined.  He almost stomped his foot.  “I brought money with me, you know.”

 

 

Sehun just handed him the M&Ms and then got himself some popcorn.

 

 

“Where do you wanna sit?”  Sehun asked.  It was dark inside the viewing room and Luhan bit his lip gently when he felt Sehun lean against him.  Sehun’s skin was warm and Luhan was having a hard time keeping his thoughts rational.

 

 

“The front,” Luhan answered quickly.  He’d learned from past experiences that sitting in the back of a movie theater could potentially lead to an intimate moment.  (He’d had to witness such a moment back in high school when he’d sat next to his friend Yixing and his girlfriend while watching a movie.)

 

 

Sehun leaned over a little to whisper in Luhan’s ear.  “What about the back?”

 

 

Luhan shivered slightly.  “Uh…”

 

 

“There are so many people in the front.”  Sehun said.  Figuring that was a good enough reason to sit at the back of the theater, he pulled Luhan over to the back corner and sat down.  The nearest people were a good twelve seats away.

 

 

While the previews played, Luhan stuffed M&Ms in his mouth so hopefully Sehun wouldn’t try and talk to him.  His plan backfired, though, when Sehun shifted in his seat so he was as close to Luhan as possible.  The armrest was in the way, and Luhan was slightly grateful for that.

 

 

When the movie started, Luhan settled back in his seat, tilted his chin up, and focused on the large screen.  He hadn’t known what movie they were going to be seeing beforehand, but from the first two minutes of it, he was able to figure out that it was some sort of action movie.

 

 

About twenty minutes into the movie, Luhan learned that Sehun really liked to cuddle.  At first, the younger boy just leaned his head on Luhan’s shoulder.  Luhan didn’t say anything about, because he didn’t want it to be a big deal.

 

 

But then Sehun started to slip his arms around Luhan’s waist.

 

 

Luhan stiffened.  “What are you doing?”

 

 

“Giving you a hug,” Sehun murmured.  His cheek rubbed against Luhan’s shoulder.

 

 

“Sehun —“ Luhan said quietly.  Even though it felt really, really nice, Luhan didn’t want Sehun to get the wrong idea.  “You can’t do this.”

 

 

Sehun straightened up and moved away from Luhan.  “Sorry.”  he looked down for a few seconds, then stared straight ahead at the actors moving around on the screen.

 

 

Luhan wrung his hands and tried to focus on the movie again.  Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Sehun staring ahead with no expression on his face.  Luhan sighed a little, and even though he hated to admit it, he wanted Sehun to put his arms around him again.  Hesitating a little, he put his hand on Sehun’s knee.  And then, he waited. 

 

 

Sehun looked down at Luhan’s hand, then at Luhan, then back at Luhan’s hand again.

 

 

“I —“ Sehun’s voice was so soft and cute that Luhan had the urge to ruffle the younger boy’s hair.  So he did.

 

 

Sehun was clearly thoroughly surprised by Luhan’s actions at this point, and he tentatively put his hand over Luhan’s, leaving it there for a second before he interlaced their fingers together.

 

 

For the rest of the movie, Luhan felt like he would turn into a bubble at any second and just float away because Sehun’s hand was so warm and so soft and just being next to the younger boy felt very right for some reason.

 

 

Afterwards, when Luhan finally got back to his dorm, he lay on his bed, staring at the ceiling for a long time.

 

 

His stomach was full of butterflies, but he didn’t dwell on that too much.

 

 

 

()()()

 

 

 

“You’re happy today,” Minseok remarked as Luhan stepped into the movie theater the next day.  Luhan was a mess, because the date with Sehun had been amazing and he was still a little lightheaded from the kiss Sehun had placed on his cheek at the end of the movie.

 

 

But he was also hating the fact that Sehun was in high school and he was so cheeky and Luhan really shouldn’t be developing a crush on the boy but he was, no matter how hard he tried to convince himself otherwise.

 

 

“Yeah,” Luhan mumbled as he walked by Minseok.  He’d had a long day of classes at the college and he couldn’t remember a single thing the teachers had said.  The only thing that had been going through his mind was Sehun Sehun Sehun.

 

 

Luhan was pretty sure every customer he helped was creeped out by the wide smile that was plastered on his face for practically the entire afternoon.  By the time his shift ended, Luhan was debating on whether or not it was a weird idea to try and see if Sehun had a Facebook when he ran into the younger boy the second he stepped out of the movie theater.

 

 

“So, have you made a decision?”  Sehun said immediately.  Luhan stumbled a little at the sight of him, because he looked so very cute and Luhan was so very smitten right now.

 

 

“W-What decision?”  Luhan finally managed to remember how to speak.  Sehun stepped closer to him and Luhan’s heartbeat sped up a little.  He could hear people talking in the distance and the splashing sound of water from the fountain and Sehun smelled like some kind of fruity soap, and it was making Luhan’s head spin.

 

 

“I promised I’d leave you alone if you didn’t like me after you went out on a date with me, so…”  Sehun took both of Luhan’s hands in his and stared straight at him.  “Do you like me, Luhan?”

 

 

“I —“ Luhan said, unable to say anything.  He pushed his tongue up against the roof of his mouth and prayed that the palms of his hands weren’t getting clammy.

 

 

“I do.”  Luhan said finally.  He looked away, his cheeks rosy and warm.  “I do like you, okay?  Are you happy now?”

 

 

Sehun smiled smugly.  “Yes, quiet happy.”

 

 

Luhan stuck out his tongue and Sehun hooked an arm around his waist, pulling him close.  

 

 

“Can I kiss you?”  Sehun asked.

 

 

No, Luhan should’ve said.  We’re in public and you make me feel all weird inside and I’m almost twenty years old and you’re sixteen and you make me feel like I’m in high school again.

 

 

But in a good way.

 

 

But for once in his life, Luhan followed what his heart was feeling.

 

 

“Yes.”  Luhan said.  “You can kiss me.”

 

 

And Sehun did.