Let There Be Cake

One Year Anniversary

                Himchan pushed open the door of his apartment with one arm, the other supporting the toddler wrapped around his waist. He saw the clock on the wall and would have cussed up a storm if it wasn’t for his son who was picking up words and repeating them recently.

                “Of course, today is the one day I’m late getting off work.” Himchan huffed as he remembered to lock the door. He rushed into the apartment, dumping his shoes and briefcase in the entry way before taking little Jongup’s shoes off and putting him on the ground.

                He spared Jongup a smile and ruffled the toddler’s black shaggy locks. “Daddy is going to be busy cooking, did you want to help?”

                “Yes!” Jongup smiled widely and clapped.

                Himchan chuckled before standing up. “Go put your apron on while Daddy goes and changes.”

                Jongup nodded before waddling off to the kitchen where his apron was hanging on a low placed hook on the refrigerator. Himchan ran to his bedroom, untying his tie and throwing it on the bed along with his jacket. He would have preferred to change into more comfortable clothes but there was no time. Yongguk would be home shortly and Himchan wanted to prepare.

                He was about to rush back out to the kitchen when a note on the mirror caught his attention. Butterflies fluttered in his stomach and a gently smile graced his lips. Even though it was the second time he had seen it today, the feelings were still the same.

                Happy one year! May this be the first of many.

                I couldn’t have asked for a better husband.

                                 I love you, Himchan.

                “Yongguk is such a romantic.” Himchan laughed to himself.

                “Daddy! I need help!” Jongup’s voice pulled Himchan back to the task at hand.

                The good feelings stayed with Himchan as he ran back to the kitchen. Jongup was having a hard time tying the back of his apron so Himchan made a quick knot for him.

                “I have yours too!” Jongup smiled as he held out Himchan’s apron.

                “How did you get this down?” Himchan smiled out of amusement before putting it on.

                “I’m not telling.” Jongup giggled.

                “Such a cute boy.” Himchan kissed his forehead.

                “What’s for dinner, Daddy?” Jongup beamed.

                Himchan opened the fridge and looked inside, wondering the same thing. There was no time to ramen like he planned, since he liked to make the broth from scratch.  ‘I don’t have time to waste looking around!’

                “Meat and vegetable fry.” Himchan muttered as he started pulling out the ingredients. He was thankful that they had a real date planned for the weekend but he still wanted to surprise Yongguk and have dinner ready for him, as well as the top of their wedding cake they had saved.

                “Here baby, wash these in the sink.” Himchan handed Jongup a bag of green peppers and bean sprouts.

                “Okay!” Jongup shouted in joy. He dragged his stepping stool to the sink. “I don’t need to count them?”

                Himchan chuckled as he rummaged in the refrigerator for the meat. “Not today, it will be okay.”

                Himchan was once again thankful that his husband was such an amazing man. Yongguk had made the steps for Jongup so the toddler could reach the counter when he noticed how much Jongup liked to help out in the kitchen. Since then Jongup helped with the cooking a few times a week, at least with the cleaning and counting, because counting how many vegetables they had was very important.

                Finally finding the meat, Himchan went to the stove and the burner. He pulled the meat out of the package and groaned, realizing he still needed to cut it. ‘Freaking out and trying to cut corners in only going to make this take longer… I need to calm down.’

                Himchan’s cellphone rang and he jumped. Jongup laughed at his father’s funny behavior.

                “Jongup, can you get Daddy’s phone for him?” Himchan said while he placed a hand above his heart.

                “Okay!” Jongup turned the sink off and hopped off the ladder before running out of the kitchen.

                Himchan was running through all the things he still needed to do in his head when he remembered the most important part. He was back at the fridge doors in an instant. Excited, he pulled out the tightly wrapped cake and put it on the counter.

                As he unwrapped it all the memories of his wedding just a year prior came flooding back. The vows, the smiles, and everyone’s blessings of Himchan and Yongguk’s marriage made his chest bubble. He had absolutely no doubts that day and a year later he still didn’t. People had thought they were crazy adopting Jongup only 6 months into their marriage but both men knew they were ready for a child and wanted to shower their love onto another. There were no doubts of how much they both loved each other and for some reason that made Himchan love Yongguk even more.

                “It was Dada.” Jongup said once he returned with the phone in hand.

                Himchan put the cake onto the counter before kneeling down to take the phone from Jongup. “Thank you, Baby.”

                Jongup smiled brightly from the comment. “Should I keep washing the vegetables?”

                “No it’s okay. Daddy has things from here. You can play with your toys if you want.”

                “Jongup wants to help.” Jongup pouted.

                Himchan chuckled. “I don’t have anything for you to help with right now. I’ll call you if I do?”

                “You promise?”

                Himchan nodded and patted Jongup’s head. “I promise.”

                “Okay… I will stay here for when you need me.”

                Himchan laughed but stood up. He knew there was no fighting with the toddler and he desperately needed to get dinner underway. Himchan looked at his phone and saw that Yongguk had left him a text after the call didn’t get through.

                ‘Crap, he’s almost here!’ Himchan rushed around the kitchen, finally putting the cut meat onto the skillet. He kept one eye on the sizzling meat as he chopped up the veggies, trying to save time.

                “Cake!”

                The sudden outburst from the toddler had Himchan turning towards him. His eyes widened in horror as he watched Jongup pull the cake closer to him. Himchan had forgotten to move the cake out of Jongup’s reach in his haste to save time.

                “Jongup, no!” Himchan shouted.

                Jongup looked over confused, but it was too late. Jongup was startled by Himchan’s shout and took a step back. Unfortunately there was nowhere to step back to since he was on his step stool. The toddler yelped as he began to fall backwards, pulling the cake with him.

                Himchan dove and caught the falling toddler before he hit the floor. Himchan sighed in relief and hugged Jongup tightly. “Are you okay, Jongup?”

                Jongup nodded and sniffed, obviously getting close to tears. “Is Daddy mad at Jongup?”

                “I was just worried about you.” Himchan comforted the boy.

                Himchan swallowed down his own tears though as he took in the ruined cake which Jongup was covered in. Jongup wiped away the cake on his face with his little hands as Himchan slowly pulled the plate off the child’s front as it continued to slide down. Himchan had no words and didn’t know what to say.

                “Daddy? Are you okay?”

                “What happened in here?”

                Himchan looked up at the deep voice full of concern and tears threatened to fall. “Yongguk.”

                Yongguk looked around taking in the scene in front of him quickly. He dropped his suitcase before crossing over to his family within a few steps and knelt beside them. He smiled as he helped Jongup wipe off of his face and kissed Himchan on the lips. “Did someone have an accident?”

                Jongup nodded as tears slowly fell from his eyes. “I broke Daddy’s cake. I didn’t mean to.”

                Himchan shushed him. “Its okay baby, I’m just glad you are okay. You scared daddy.”

                Yongguk caressed Himchan’s face, seeing the preparation underway and knowing what Himchan had tried to do. “Are you okay?”

                Himchan sighed. “This isn’t how I pictured our evening. It is ruined…”

                Yongguk groaned from the effort of standing up and then he helped his family up. “Come on, let’s not be sad. We still have each other and everyone is alright. That is what is important.”

                “Yeah.” Himchan pouted. “The cake…”

                “There is still a little left.” Yongguk chuckled as he picked up the plate with tiny sections of crushed cake. “And we can always eat it off our cute little Jongup.”

                Jongup giggled as Yongguk cake off of his face. Even Himchan couldn’t help but smile at the cute sight. “We should get you washed up, Jongup. How did you even manage to get cake in your hair?”

                Yongguk kissed Himchan’s cheek. “I’ll meet you in the bathroom. I’ll pick up the kitchen a bit first.”

                Himchan kissed him back before heading to the bathroom. He started a bath for his son. Himchan lightly scolded Jongup but he knew Jongup knew what he had done wrong so he didn’t press the issue. He had just gotten Jongup into the bubble bath when Yongguk walked into the bathroom with sandwiches and the plate of ruined cake.

                Himchan frowned. “Yong—“

                “Eat.” Yongguk held out a part of cake to Himchan. “I thought we could mix dessert and dinner together.”

                Himchan laughed before eating the piece of cake out of Yongguk’s fingers. “Did I tell you I love you?”

                Yongguk smiled as he placed the food on the toilet seat and kneeled beside Himchan. “Every day.”

                “Well, I mean it. Yongguk, I love you.”

                “I love you too, Himchan.”

                “I love Dada and Daddy!” Jongup cheered.

                Yongguk chuckled before wrapping his arms around Himchan and the wet Jongup. “And we love you too Jongup, even if you are covered in cake.”

                Himchan sighed as he rested his head in the crook of Yongguk’s neck while he wrapped his arms around his family. No, the night hadn’t gone as he had planned but in that moment he didn’t care. The night was perfect because he was with his amazing husband and his cute son. There was nothing in the world that could have possibly made his one year anniversary any better. It was one he would remember and cherish forever.


A/N: I am a er fo fluff >.< and babies. I swear I throw baby b.a.p in whenever I can hahaha

Hope you enjoyed this~ <3 

See you around in the next story ^_^