Love's Serendipity

Love's Serendipity

All started with one drop then another drop and another, until the ground was fully covered in water. The rain poured mercilessly without any notice, drenching everyone who was in its way.

One by one, people started to run off to shops and bus stops, trying to cover themselves from the rain. As they hurry to shelter, only one girl remained motionless in the middle of the street.

With her phone on one hand, she raised her free one and heaved a sigh, “It’s raining again,”

The rain continued to pour down on the girl, downing her spirit even more. Slowly, she began to walk back home again, not minding if her uniform was drenched and her mother would surely throw a fit.

With her head down, hands tightly clutching the straps of her backpack, and a heavy heart, she took one step and another until she reached the familiar street of Percy Drive.

The rain abruptly stopped pouring, making her froze. She raised her head up and saw her brother, Hojoon.

“Heejin, why in the world are you drenched?” he bemused at his little sister who was slightly shivering from the cold.

She lightly shrugged. “It’s raining, isn’t it?” was her witty reply.

“Is something wrong?” Hojoon asked. His eyebrows met at the center, wrinkling the skin on his forehead. “Stop frowning, Hojoon,” Heejin faked a small laugh as she used her pointer to tear away the frown on her brother’s face.

“Nothing is wrong,” she slightly croaked, lying. But Hojoon knew better. He slowly raised his hand and wiped the flowing liquid on her cheeks.

She hastily wiped her face with the back of her hand. “Uh, stupid rain,” she blamed. She looked up to look at her brother’s unamused expression.

And that’s when she realized that they were under an umbrella. It wasn’t the rain, it was her tears.

 

She quietly sipped her own cup of hot chocolate, ignoring the soul-penetrating gaze of her brother.

After the two got home, Heejinhurried to her room and changed her clothes before collapsing on the bed. Tears were already on the brink of falling when a knock on her door was heard.

She opened the door, revealing her brother with two mugs of hot chocolate. And that’s how she got into this awkward situation.

Hojooncleared his throat casually, catching Heejin's attention. “So,” he started, “how’s school?”

“It was…” she trailed off, trying to find a suitable term. “Surprising,” she finished lamely, avoiding his brother’s stare.

“Surprising,” he mused. “How so?” he propped his elbows on his knees, leaning forward, and rested his chin on his palms.

She her lips nervously, “Well, my teacher in Physics surprised us with a quiz,”

“Heejin, you know what I’m talking about,” Hojoon sternly said. “What’s the problem?” his voice softened. His voice, soothing voice, almost made Heejin cry on the spot.

But she was stubborn; she wouldn’t let him see her pathetic state. “It’s about uh…” she fiddled with her fingers.

“It’s about Hansol, isn’t it?” he guessed. Heejin let her head hung low, not uttering a word. “I knew it,” Hojoon sighed and lean back on the chair. “I knew he was trouble,”

Heejin couldn’t help but to chortle a little for his brother’s Taylor Swift comment. “How did you know?” she uttered in a low voice.

“I’m not your brother for nothing, Heejin,” he patted her hair. “Now now, stop sulking and tell your favorite brother your problem,”

“But you’re not my favorite brother,” she kidded. “Are you saying you like Kendrick more than me?” he raised a brow, referring to their unborn sibling.

She slightly shrugged.

Silence engulfed the room as neither of them spoke a word. The pitter patter of the rain echoed through the roof as the distant thunder rumbled angrily.

“Could you tell me what happened?” Hojoon finally asked, breaking the silence. “Well, Hansol oppa told me something really unexpected.” She began.

Hojoon nodded, motioning her to continue. “He told me that he recently had a talk with his first love, and they talked about their past.”

“You’re jealous?” he asked. “A little,” she admitted, biting her lips, “I mean, it’s normal right?”

“It is, it is,” he assured. “But he’s just talking with her,”

A small, painful laugh escaped from her red lips. “But they’re talking about their past! The girl even said that she regretted letting him go! Who knows what he might have said? Who knows if he might have been cheating already behind my back,” she fumed, angry tears flowing down from her eyes.

“Oh, Heejin. You’re too paranoid,” He shook his head. “He loves you, don’t you trust him?”

His question made the girl stop sobbing. “I do,” she answered after a moment of hesitation. “See? Put a little faith in him, Jinie,” He smiled.

“But she’s his first love. First love never dies, remember?” she quoted.  Hojoon hummed as he took another sip from his half-empty cup.

“Maybe it doesn’t, maybe it does. Who knows? It depends on the person,” he wisely remarked. “Well, what if he’s starting to like her again?” she whined.

“Then it’s his choice. Let him be. If you love him let him go, let him be happy even if it means without you by his side,”

She sighed. “Maybe he’s torn between the two of us?”

“Well, he’s not really torn in between. Just confused, I guess,”

Heejinlooked at her brother skeptically, “Confused?”

“Yes, confused. Maybe he’s thinking that he’s still in love with her. It’s only an illusion,” saidHojoon. “Illusion?” she repeated. “Think about it this way, Jinie,” he leaned closer.

“If he’s still truly in love with his first love, then how come he fell for you? Besides, science states that only one thing could occupy a given space at a given time,”

Heejin titled her head, thinking about the wise words from her, in her honest opinion, stupid, flirty brother. “Are you saying that if he really loved the first, then he shouldn’t have fallen for another?”

He gave a nod, “Correcto, mi amigo,”

“Your Spanish . But I’ve got to admit you’re pretty good at these things,” she grinned. “Of course, love is my specialty after all,” he laughed.

“Besides,” He added, “who gives a damn about his first love? If she was way better than you, then they should still be together until now.”

“Thanks, Hojoon, really,” Heejin smiled. “Don’t worry about it, sister. It’s the least I can do for you.” She sighed again, “Well, what should I do now?”

“You can start by cooking pasta,” Hojoon beamed, wriggling his eyebrows. “Shut up,” she poked her tongue out. “Talk to him, tell him about your problems. It’ll help to clear things out,” he advised.

“Do you know why our ears are considered as the extension of our hearts?” he asked out of the blue.

“Why?”

“To love is to listen, and by listening we can learn how to love,”

 

“Who cares about her?” Hansol laughed.

Heejinpunched his arm, “Stop laughing, I’m serious oppa.” She sent him a deadpanned look. “That hurts! I’m going to be a battered husband someday,” he muttered.

“But really, Jinjin. I don’t give a damn about her anymore. And if I ever need to choose between you and Tori, I’d still choose you in a heartbeat,”

“Why me?” she asked.

“Because you taught me that love exists after I thought it could never again,”