Chapter Three: Nightmare

A Lie and a New Life

Amber led me further into the mansion. 
"How can all this be hidden here?" I asked her.
"Because we aren't 'here' anymore," she shrugged.
I must have pulled a face because Amber laughed. It was a very bright laugh. Not full on like some people just... perfect.
"I told you earlier. We are in Abscondita Est In Terra." she pushed open another, larger door.
"I thought you were kidding with me..." I trailed off when I saw the room. It was like three times as big as Lucy's and furnished with the most beautiful things I'd ever seen.
"You should rest," Amber handed me a clean nightgown. As she did, our fingers brushed. She put her hand on my forehead, "I think you're coming down with something. I'll send my mother down later." She withdrew her hand and left me alone. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to sleep but I was out before my head hit the pillow.

Blood. Rain.
Running down the streets.
Complete destruction.
"Please. Please help us!" a girl my age looked up at me.
"How can I help?" I asked but it was as if I hadn't said a thing.
"You're the only one can can save us!" she cried. Her imaged faded before I could reply. Suddenly there was a loud crash behind me. I turned to face a large army of... goblins? I had never seen creatures like them before. Skin grey with dead eyes. I started to run but I couldn't.
"Help!" I cried but there was no one to come to my rescue. I was all alone. Or was I? I man jumped off a roof and stood in front of me.
"Don't just stand here! Do something!" he shouted.
"I don't know what to do!" I cried.
"You have to destroy them!" he urged.
"How. I can't do this. Help me please," I grabbed the sleeves of his jacket and looked up at him from under my drenched curls.
"I can't help you. Only you can. Only you can save this place from destruction. Only you have the p---,"

I bolted awake. I was struggling against someone.
"It's okay, you're safe." hands my hair as I fought to keep control of my breathing."Who... who are you?" I stuttered.
"My name is Ella. I'm Amber's mother," she replied smoothly.
"What's the time?" my eyes darted around the room. Someone had closed the thick curtians.
"It's around lunchtime. Are you hungry?" she moved over to open the curtains. Honestly, food was the last of my worries.
"Where's Lucy?" I sat up.
"Playing with some of the younger children," she could clearly see my distress, "she is fine. You should worry more about yourself."
"What do you know?" I was starting to get a bit suspicious.
"I know that you have Meniere's and that you've lost nearly half your hearing," she looked at me patiently.
"How can you possibly know this?" I inquired.
"We've been waiting for you to come," she fixed up the twisted sheets.
"Do you know my Aunt Maggie?" I sounded hopeful.
"Yes. She is somewhat in charge around here," she gazed off.
"In charge?" what has Aunt Maggie been doing.
"You'll more when she returns," Ella dismissed the topic, "Amber said you could be coming down with something. Let's see what I can do for you."
I sat on the bed patiently as Ella rubbed her hands together and stepped forwards. She placed her fingers on either side my temple. I felt a warm sensation where she touched me. It felt like summer. The sun shining down on me. Unfortunately, it ended too soon.
"That should do it," Ella stood up looking glad.
"What should do it?" I didn't understand at all.
"I'm a healer," she explained.
"A healer?" I tipped my head to the side.
"Didn't Amber tell you?" she sounded shocked.
I shook my head.
"We're Fae. All of us here are," it was then that I noticed how beautiful Ella was. She had perfect skin and silky copper hair, just like Amber.
"Fae? As in Faery?" I asked.
"Yes but we don't fly or sprinkle magical dust everywhere," she grunted as she said that, "you can tell we are Fae by our marks." She lifted her braid to show me that back of her neck. There was a stylized butterfly marked at the bottom of her neck in a soft red shade.
"It's so pretty," I gasped.
"You too will have one when you turn eighteen. Everyone's surfaces when they officially become an adult." she lowered the braid. "I should get going but I get Amber to show you around before supper."