Final

His Daughter

May 13th, 2000

A teardrop trickled down her face. Her eyes were blurred with tears, and hazed with fear. To others, it was simply another heated argument between a mother and a father. But to Hyejoo, it felt as if she was trapped. As if she was captured in a prison in hell. The devils’ bloodcurdling screams were echoing inside her ears, repeating the same words over, and over again. “There’s no hope.”

She was only 8 years old that night. A pure age, still fragile, and barely, ready to take on the horrors in life.

Her father had a little too much to drink, stumbling into the house with a breath that clearly had a stench of alcohol.  Apparently, she had been the one to welcome her father in, waking up at the continuous thumping of the door.

And being naïve, she was about to welcome him with arms wide open- that was, before her mother came right on time. Swiftly yanking her away from her dangerous father, she whispered one word: “Hide.”

So she did. With her mind in utter confusion, the 6 year old Hyejoo scrambled onto her feet and ran to the first place where she could take refuge- the shelf. Crouching down behind it, there was just the right amount of space, between a few books, where she could peek through. She never knew that the following scene could leave such a scar in her innocent heart.

A slap followed by a piercing shriek. The echoes of vases and glass ornaments breaking into pieces- just like her heart. She knew then, why her mother had ordered her to hide. Her lovely mother wanted to save her from the pain- from the horrible truth. Sadly, she felt the pain.

The young girl hung onto the last piece of hope as she whispered to herself again and again. “Everything’s going to be alright…”

Too bad it was a lie.

August 11th, 2010

Slamming the door to her room, she slid into bed, her knees brought up to her chest as she buried her face in her hands. Today was one of the dreadful days in her life. Not only did she receive harsh comments at school- but it was her father’s death anniversary too.

‘Daughter of a ,’ ‘e,’ ‘You’re a bastard child.’

These words will forever remain in her mind- as if it was on replay it will infinitely remind her of her awful teen years.

She had tried to act strong, ever since her father left. Searching for a man who could love her wholeheartedly, and give her the attention she hadn’t receive.

Yet, everywhere she looked; every time she tried she would only end up with another broken heart, another piece missing, and added scars to her collection.

To Hyejoo, gaining love, or even hope, seemed too high for her to reach. To what others view as ‘easy’, she viewed as impossible.

All she wanted was to feel something.

Curling into a ball, she rocked herself back and forth as tears streamed down her eyes. It was déjà vu.

Sobbing, and choking on her words, she mustered up all the faith she had in life and clasped her hands.

Looking up at her ceiling, her eyes fluttered shut.

“If there’s a God up there, please hear my prayer. I’m lost and I’m scared, and I have nowhere else to go.”

She paused, wiping the tears with the back of her hand, before clasping it once more.

“I’ve come a long, long way. But I’m not sure if I can make it much farther. So if you’re listening, could you give a helping hand, to your daughter?”

 

February 14th, 2012

Valentine’s Day.

Such a romantic day for the young couples, or the newlyweds, or the ones who had been faithful to one another for years. But for Hyejoo, it was just any other day that ended like any other night.

Her life had changed for the better. She had lived a successful life, being the apprentice of the Byun’s Corporation heir, Byun Baekhyun.

Love was no longer her main focus. Ever since that dreadful night, love didn’t seem important. She was blinded; caged inside a room where affection hadn’t existed.

She was too blind to even notice the man who had tried to give her what she wanted, years before.

Byun Baekhyun.

To her, he was only an acquaintance.

To him, she was a fallen angel.

To her, he was her savior- taking her under his wings, and presenting her with a better life.

To him, she was his guidance- that light at the end of the tunnel, awakening him up to the brighter side of his chaotic life.

Yet they both knew each one was broken deep inside.

But both chose to hide it.

“Hyejoo… Kim Hyejoo?”

She snapped out of her trance, placing the picture of her mother as she looked up at her boss.

“A-ah! Sorry Baekhyun-ssi. I was, um-”

“Occupied?” The handsome, young man, with his brown ruffled hair, tilted his head to the side.

A charming smile lit his face- and surprisingly, it reached his eyes- one of those very rare moments.

“A penny for your thoughts? No-- a dollar perhaps?”

Hyejoo shook her head, the corners of her lips lifting upwards into a graceful smile.

“I was just thinking about my mother, Baekhyun-ssi.”

Immediately, remorse took over him. He knew this was a very touchy subject. Especially with her mother’s recent death.

Yes, he knew. He knew about her past, how she was scarred at such a raw age.

Which was why he wanted to protect her. To swiftly swoop her up into his arms, and shower her with the love she deserved.

“Please, don’t feel guilty.” Hyejoo shook her hands frantically, before slipping the picture into her bag- hiding it from any eyes.

This was why he admired her. This was why he loved her. A young lady, at the age of 20, who took on such a job at this age. It was very admirable indeed.

She knew him more than he knew himself. She understood him, when no one else did. She could read him, as if he was an open book.

Yet, she was merely another female in his life. Only attached to him through work, and nothing else.

Remembering his sole reason as to why he called her in the first place, Baekhyun cleared his throat inaudibly, before his lips twitch upwards into a friendly smile.

“Say, Hyejoo, would you, perhaps, like to go to this evening’s Valentine’s Party with me?”

It definitely caught her off guard. Not only did a male ask her to be his date, for the first time. It was her superior.

A little pinched at her heart woke her up from her train of thoughts, her usual half lifted smile embracing her lips.

“I’d love too, Baekhyun-ssi.”

***

Baekhyun woke up, his head felt as if it was cracking into half.

The thunderous booming was surely not from the party. He was sure he was no more near the party.

Sitting up, a groan escaped his lips, as his hands shot up to massage his temples. He had no idea where he was, and soon, another burden ate him up.

Glancing down onto his chest, he realized he had nothing on. The blanket was the only thing that had covered his bottom half.

But the worst part was the female beside him.

He knew that brown and black hair anywhere. He memorized her side profile, and her slim fingers.

Kim Hyejoo- his angel.

He had tainted her, he had took her innocence and scarred her even more. It was the total opposite of what he had wanted to do.

Baekhyun clenched his jaw, his hands were shaking, and it felt as if he was suffocating.

“Monster.” The devils had returned.

He reached over, caressing her cheek as if she was a priceless jewel. And to him, she was.

Immediately retracting his hand, he swiftly got out of bed, not taking a second to pause.

He had to get out of here before she woke up. It was a sin, it was selfish, and he knew.

But he just couldn’t bear to see her face when she realized what happened.

Glancing once more, he mustered up a small smile and whispered his last wish to her.

“I’m sorry Hyejoo, live well.”

Baekhyun booked the next flight to London that second.

February 15th, 2012

“Flight 870 British Airways, from Korea to London crashed- 118 dead. 23 missing”

July 11th, 2012

Hyejoo stood there, one hand propped against the sink, as the other shook as she held the paper.

Only one line stood out. Pregnant- Positive

She was 5 months pregnant. She had no idea who the father of her child was. But she knew when this happened: The night of the Valentine’s Party.

When she woke up that morning, her face paled, was dry, as if she hadn’t drank a single drop of water for years.

She tried to reach for the only person who she could trust, only to find out his plane had crashed.

Along with the plane, her world crashed too.

November 6th, 2012

She was worn out, her face colorless, and mind at hazed.

“Ma’am,” A soft voice called out to her. “It’s a boy.”

As tired as she was, her arms reached out to her angel, cradling him in her arms.

She showered his smooth face with light pecks- light, loving, and soft kisses. She felt stuck in between happiness and guiltiness.

This baby will be her world from now on. He will be there to accompany her in this lonely world.

Yet, how would she explain to him, the burdening situation? How will she take care of him, when she could barely take care of herself?

Rocking the baby back and forth, tears began to spill out of her eyes, as she spoke hoarsely.

“If there’s a God up there, please hear my prayer. I’m lost and afraid, and I have nowhere else to run.”

Caressing the baby’s soft cheek, a weary smile lit up her face.

“I’ve come a long, long way, but I’m not sure I can be the best mother. So if you’re listening, could you give a helping hand, to your daughter?”

And with a kiss on his forehead, she sealed her prayer.

May 14th, 2014

“Jaehyun!” she called out lovingly, as she arrived at her son’s school.

She had expected the vibrant smile to greet her back, yet her son came to her with red eyes, and a tear-stained face.

“What’s wrong darling?”

Her whole mood fell at the thought that something had happen to her son.

Without a word, Jaehyun wrapped his short arms around his mother’s neck and sobbed into her chest.

“They teased me again… They asked me that question and I couldn’t answer.”

His voice shook with every word, while her heart shattered.

That question: “Why don’t you have a daddy?”

She had tried to prevent him from listening, prevent the school from permitting the children to taunt her pride and joy.

Yet, she didn’t prevail.

Carefully, Hyejoo pulled away from the hug and cupped her son’s face, wiping away his new tears.

“Listen to mommy, okay? Listen carefully.”

She took a deep breath, and smiled. For once, it reached her eyes- it warmed her and her son’s heart.

“There’s something you must know…”

“There is a God up there, who heard my prayer. I was lost and afraid, and I had nowhere to run or hide. I had no clue, what to do with my life… But he sent me you.”

Tears blurred her eyes, as she sniffed softly- not wanting to trigger her son’s sobs once more.

“So if you’re lost and afraid, and you feel alone, don’t worry child. There’s a Father who will love you as His own.”

“Just like he loved me, His daughter.”

Jaehyun’s young mind didn’t grasp what she was saying well, but she knew he will one day.

“So, if anyone ever asks you the same question, tell them: There’s a God up there who takes care of me, like he is my father. Okay?”

With a slow nod, Hyejoo picked up her bundle of joy into her arms and swirled him around.

“Let’s go get ice cream, Jaehyun-ah.”