Chapter 3

Hunting

“So, you two hunt monsters?” Gary asked, bewildered as he followed Jihyo and Jongkook back to the filming site; everyone was still over at the crime scene.

“Monsters, demons, ghosts, all the good stuff,” Jihyo answered. “We’ve never hunted one of these before, though, so today will be a nice learning experience.”

Jongkook was already in his hunting mode and was ignoring their chatter as he walked on ahead.

Jihyo answered a few more questions before they arrived back at the empty site. She and Jongkook went straight for Jongkook’s car and opened up the trunk. Gary peeked over Jihyo’s shoulder to see into the trunk, but all he saw was a couple small bags. Jongkook grabbed them and shoved them into Gary’s arms before he grabbed the carpet of the trunk and yanked it up, revealing a hidden compartment.

Don’t you think we should wait until tomorrow night when everyone is gone?” Jihyo asked.

“We can’t risk her taking anyone else while we wait. It’s not like she only hunts at night.” Jongkook answered.

Gary was not listening, but was rather focused on the vast amount of guns, knives, stakes, and even more weapons that he could not put a name to.

“Wha… how did you do all of this?” Gary asked as Jongkook grabbed a few knives and a machete and then closed the compartment.

“A couple brothers from America taught us a few tricks a couple years back.” Was all Jongkook said as he slammed the trunk shut and handed Jihyo a couple knives.

“So, these things can only be killed with a silver knife and a simultaneous stab to the heart and decapitation. We cannot afford to mess up the timing on this.”

He tucked away his knife and slung the machete in a case over his back.

“What, I don’t get a weapon?” Gary asked, and the other two looked at him.

“Definitely not,” Jongkook replied.

“Gary, you’re a civilian. We can’t afford any more casualties, and you don’t have any experience fighting something like this.” Jihyo explained sympathetically.

“Well, those were my friends too,” Gary stated, crossing his arms, “and I want to kill the who offed them just as much as you do. I don’t care what she is. Plus, you have to start somewhere, don’t you? It’s not like you two started hunting these with a bunch of experience under your belts.”

Jongkook stared at him for a moment before sighing and handing his knife to Gary.

“This is merely precautionary. I want you to stay out of trouble, okay? I don’t want to lose another friend today.”

Gary nodded in understanding, and the three of them set off into the woods once again. As the woods began to thicken, Gary found himself walking closer and closer to Jihyo as they followed Jongkook. Jihyo noticed this at one point and forced a smile as he gripped his knife.

“So how are we going to find her?” Gary spoke up at one point, breaking the silence.

“We’re going to lure her out,” Jongkook answered, casting a short glance back at the other two.

“How are we going to do that?” Gary questioned.

“Well, she feeds off of men, doesn’t she? And we’ve got two ripe men right here, practically calling out to her.”

Gary froze in his tracks. Jihyo and Jongkook looked back, noticed he had stopped, and did the same.

“We’re going to be bait?” Gary asked, not sure if he had heard Jongkook correctly. “I thought you wanted me to stay out of trouble.”

“Being bait won’t be nearly as dangerous as fighting the , or staying by yourself somewhere. You’ll be right next to me, and Jihyo will be keeping watch over us the entire time. You’ll be completely safe.”

Gary was not entirely convinced, but he decided that he had already come too far to turn around and run, so he merely nodded and the three continued on their way. Once they had reached on of the densest parts of the woods, they split up: Jihyo by herself, and Gary with Jongkook. Jongkook hid his machete under a jacket he had brought, and Gary put his knife in his pocket where he could easily grab it. Gary and Jongkook wandered around for a while, chatting aimlessly while keeping a sharp eye out for any suspicious movements. They had walked until it had gotten dark before they noticed anything was amiss.

“Hyung, do you hear that?” Gary asked, stopping Jongkook. Jongkook stood still and listened.

“I don’t hear anything,” he replied before hitting Gary lightly on the shoulder. “Good work, Gary.”

They resumed walking while staying alert for any sound at all. The moon was their only source of light now, and that fact unnerved Gary. He scanned the surrounding area frantically, trying to find something to focus on. As he turned, a ray of sunlight a ways off caught his eyes.

“Hyung,” he whispered, catching Jongkook’s attention. Jongkook stiffened and raised his hand to signal Jihyo before creeping over to the lit area. Jongkook stepped into the clearing ahead of Gary, and his body visibly relaxed as soon as he did, staring straight ahead at something. Curious as to why he had done so, Gary followed Jongkook into the clearing. He looked at the direction of where Jongkook was staring, and saw a beautiful woman standing there. Gary froze at the sight of her, his hand releasing his knife and falling out of his pocket to his side. The woman smiled and sauntered over to the two of them, her lips as she looked them over.

“You men just keep walking into the palm of my hand today, don’t you?” she purred, gently scraping Jongkook’s cheek. A trickle of blood escaped and she it off of him with an abnormally large tongue. She swallowed the blood and shivered in excitement as it slid down .

“I haven’t had a proper meal in over a hundred years, and today I get a feast.”

She took both of the men’s faces and turned them in to face hers.

“I am going to savour the both of you in ways you could not possibly imagine.”