14

[Series] Pediatrician Couple

The glass of orange juice she was holding almost slipped from her hand. Shock literally took over her body. Chaewon couldn’t digest of what she had listened to. She could hear the hall was clapping excitedly to Mrs Song’s speech as their congratulation to the married-couple-to-be. In the clapping sound, she could hear clearly some few words that stabbed her heart deeply.

“Wow, such a twist. I guess Joongki-ssi left the girl he went after for the better.”

“Yeah, Moon Shiwon is the best choice I can say.”

Out of all people, why it must be my sister?!


“Omma!” Joongki voiced out in frustration. He had dragged his mother out from the crowded. “How could you do this?! You invited Chaewon and I on purpose didn’t you? I should have realized this earlier. You wish omma, I wouldn’t be like hyung who’s like a slave following your order.”

“Song Joongki!” Mrs Song gritted her teeth in anger. “You think I don’t know about the girl? Moon Chaewon is a killer! She’s a killer, Joongki!”

“She’s not a killer omma!” Joongki argued back, his eyes turned fiery. “She only defended herself. You would do the same if someone tried to kill you, omma!”

“No matter how much you defend her. It wouldn’t change the fact that she’s a killer.” 


“Unnie!” Shiwon excitedly ran over to Chaewon as she saw her passed by. “Unnie unnie! Have you-” Her excited expression faded as soon as she saw Chaewon’s face. “Unnie what’s wrong?” she asked, sensing something had gone wrong. “Unnie...” 

Chaewon flashed a sad smile. “Congratulation on your wedding. He’s.....actually good for you and...-” She could never finish her words as she immediately walk out from the hall. 

“What wedding? Unnie!” Shiwon was clearly confused. She was about to follow her sister when someone grabbed her arm. It was her mother. 

“Where have you been?” her mother asked.

“I was looking for a blonde hair boy earlier. He was so handsome!” Shiwon squealed.

“Moon Shiwon, behave yourself.”

“Ah...sorry omma.” Shiwon pressed her lips into a thin line, lowering her head in embarrassment.

“Let’s find Mrs Song and talk about the wedding,” her mother said.

Shiwon’s expression turned to a frown. “What wedding? Isn’t the wedding off already?”

“Didn’t you hear the announcement?”

“What announcement? I was playing hide and seek with the blonde hair boy. I was looking for him earlier when you grabbed my arm.” 

Mrs Moon shook her head in silent as she pulled her daughter together to a place. As they arrived in front of a room, the door was opened from the inside, revealing Joongki. Joongki gave them a polite bow before walking away.

“Oh unnie, Shiwon. What bring you here?” Mrs Song said, giving a sweet smile.


Joongki searched everywhere but he couldn’t find her. He went to his car but no track of her at all. He called her but to no avail. He finally decided to go to a place.

As expected, she was there. The person he was looking for, was there at the nearby playground. Joongki approached the person who was sitting on a swing. He went to kneel in front of her. Chaewon didn’t move even a bit from her position. Her eyes were staring straight into the air. 

“Chaewon-ssi.”

“She’s my sister. The girl you are going to marry.”

“W-What...?”

“Shiwon told me almost every day that she was going to marry a doctor. A handsome one. She said, she started to like him. Even though, it was an arranged marriage, she accepted it with an open heart. She’s really an angel and I don’t want to let her down.”

“Chaewon-ssi, do you know why I don’t want the arranged marriage?” Joongki asked. But Chaewon stayed silent. Joongki knew Chaewon was listening.

“Because I’m in love with you-”

Chaewon’s head perked up hearing Joongki’s statement. She looked at him with a surprise expression. 

“You...love me? Isn’t it too early-”

“Time is not important in the matter of falling in love. There are people who fall in love at the first sight and there are people who take time to fall in love. In addition, I don't want to hurt Shiwon-ssi.”

Joongki took off his blazer and put it on the quiet Chaewon. “I’ll be back,” he said, giving a small smile. With that, he left.

Chaewon exhaled heavily. Everything was complicated. What Joongki did was right. She wouldn’t want her sister to get hurt either. Love was not something that could be vanished easily. “But-” she sighed. She didn’t know what to do at the moment.

A vibrate from the blazer’s pocket interrupted her thought. She slipped her hand into the pocket and took a phone out. It was Joongki’s. Chaewon looked around as she searched for him. She decided to answer the call since Joongki wasn’t around.

“Hello...” a voice spoke. It sounded like little girl to Chaewon. “..appa...Haeyeonie is very sick. Can appa come here tonight?”