1/2

A Brighter Tomorrow

Jongup had heard plenty of stories about how mates never found each other or their meetings aren't the best and they end up not being together. For years, the brunette had hoped he and his best friend could be one of those people. Though he never told his best friend. How could he when all Zelo talked about was being with the one who would color his world?

Jongup's chances seemed to grow dim when his best friend, the one he was in love with for three years, told him that he found his mate. It hadn't been too long ago, but it could have been months ago and Jongup could still tell you in great detail how everything went.

 

2 Days Ago~

"JONGUP! MOON JONGUP!" A pounding on his door, snapped the boy from the television.

"Yah! It's open, Zelo!" He shouted back, not really understanding why the younger knocked in the first place. He usually walked in like it was his own house all the time. Why was this any different?

"I found him, Jongup! I found my mate!" Zelo exclaimed as he burst through the door and plopped down next to the elder on the couch. Though he was too excited to sit still, so he was bouncing on the cushions. 

"You... found him...?" Jongup questioned. He couldn't help the hurt he felt as his chest tightened or the way he wanted to yell at the younger for not realizing his feelings all along. Instead, he just smiled and congratulated his best friend, knowing that he found his one and only and at such a young age too.

"Thanks. He's awesome and cute and adorable and... oh! I can see colors now! At first it really hurt, because it was so bright. Now I'm a bit used to it, until I skateboard in the sun. Then everything is like- Bam! Anyways, back to Youngjae. He's sweet and-"

"Wait, wait, wait. This guy's name is Youngjae?" Jongup had to stop the rambling, before the younger's jaw broke off. 

"Oh yeah! His name is Youngjae and he has... his hair is a really bright color! He is a bit shorter than me and like I said cute. He's also in college and-"

"He's a college student?" Jongup chuckled. "How did he take you still being in high school? Wait a minute, where did you guys even meet?" Jongup was a bit confused, since he's always with the younger.

"At the bar we went to last night." Zelo decided to ignore the first question, since his heart still hurt.

"Oh... but I don't understand. After you disappeared for a bit last night, you came back all sad. If you met him then, why weren't you as happy as you are now?" Jongup noticed the slight mood change in his friend. His head was now down and his fingers were playing with the end of his shirt.

"He... he kind of rejected me..." Jongup stared at his friend, feeling the flicker of hope ignite in him. "But I won't give up!" Zelo cheered, his happy smile and determined face saddening Jongup once again. Neither will I! 

 

Present~

Zelo had stayed true to his word, spending every chance he had trying to talk to Youngjae. He even got the elder to help him study for the college entrance exams. Jongup had yet to meet this guy, but that didn't stop the jealous rage he felt when the younger got excited by one simple text from the other. Jongup was actually heading over to the younger's right now. It had been two days since he's actually seen him. 

What can I do to make Zelo see me? Should I do a dance routine for him? Should I become clingy? Should I talk to this Youngjae and tell him to back off? The younger was his best friend for years! How could this guy just walk in and take-

Jongup's thoughts were caught off as he ran into another boy, causing both of them to tumble to the ground. Jongup landed on his , letting a small wince leave his mouth. He rubbed his bottom softly, before standing up.

"Oh , I'm sor- Oh my God!" Jongup was looking at the boy standing to the left of the guy he ran into. "You're my friend's mate, Yoo Youngjae or you look like the many pictures Zelo has shown me." The other grimanced, but nodded.

"I am Youngjae. You must be Jongup. Zelo talks about you a lot." Jongup wasn't surprised, but he thought Zelo would have talked about other things than himself to the elder. 

"That's ok, no one help me or anything." Jongup finally glanced down at the boy he ran into, who was still sitting on the ground. The boy with light gray hair grumbled, helping himself up and sparing a quick glance at Jongup, before he was back on the ground again. Jongup quickly closed his eyes, noticing a brighter light block his view. He winced again, groaning as he rubbed his eyes.

"Oh ... what just happ-" Jongup cut himself off, realizing his world wasn't in black and white anymore. "Oh my..." Jongup rubbed his eyes harder, hoping the bright light coming from the sun or any of the colors decorating the streets and houses around them would go away. "No... You're my..."

"Your mate." Jongup looked back over to the other, who was now wearing a very wide smile, though he was squinting due to the brightness around them. "I found you. I finally found you." Jongup's eyes widened, well as much as they could since he still wasn't used to the blinding colors, and shook his head. 

"No. This... this isn't happening. I couldn't have found my mate! I... I didn't want to!" The other look taken back by the rage on Jongup's face. "God damn it! I was so close to having him to myself and now... ugh! No!" Jongup then turned to the boy, glaring intently at him. "We never met. I don't want you. I don't know you. Stay away." The other's smile had long vanished, replacing his face with a look of hurt and humiliation. Jongup grunted, turning to walk away when he was stopped.

"Please... Just... tell me your name." Jongup rolled his eyes, not wanting to waste his breath, but his lips moved without his consent.

"My name is Jongup." Jongup wasn't sure why his tone was full of sadness.

"Jongup." The other repeated, smiling as he said the name which sent butterflies through Jongup's stomach. He quickly shook it off, not wanting to be involved in the other at all. "My name is Daehyun." The elder stuck his hand out, though Jongup swatted it away and scuffed.

"I don't care." He walked away, immediately singing a song in his head to distract him from the thoughts of the handsome boy. He found his mate.

~~~~

A couple days later and Jongup had still yet to tell Zelo about the incident. How could he tell the other he had found his mate? He would be so pissed at him for rejecting the poor soul.

Jongup sighed, wishing he could live in a different world. A world where Zelo and he could be together. A world where he didn't have to be paired up with a gorgeous looking guy who kept plaguing his thoughts every time he tried to destroy Youngjae and Zelo's "study" time.

After Jongup had met Youngjae, the elder had told Zelo that he wanted them all to hang out. Though Jongup knew this was a sad attempt to get Daehyun closer to him. He didn't want to be closer to the elder. Why couldn't Youngjae see that? If he wanted his friend to be happy so much, why doesn't Youngjae just love Daehyun while he loved Zelo?

Jongup snapped out of his thoughts when a french fry was thrown at him. 

"Yah! Moon Jongup! Are you in there?" Zelo teased, throwing another fry at him.

"Cut it out, Zelo. I'm just... thinking about my grades." Jongup easily lied, though his grades should worry him. He was too distracted on all the new information in his life and the headaches he got every once in a while due to the lights weren't helping.

"I'm sure you'll pass. Anyways, did I tell you about Youngjae's friend, Daehyun?" Jongup's head snapped towards the younger at the mention of the elder's name.

"W-what about him?" Why did he stutter?

"I guess he found his mate, but was rejected. And not like me rejected, at least Youngjae still hangs out with me. No, Daehyun's mate told him he never wanted him and didn't like him. It's quite sad and it really pisses me off. Daehyun gave that guy the gift of color and all he wanted to do was love him, but nope this guy didn't care. Maybe he was one of those homophobes?" Jongup scuffed to himself, He was definitely no homophobe. But his insides twisted at the angry look in his friends eyes.

"How lame." Jongup said meekly, not making eye contact at all.

"You alright, Uppie?" Zelo asked, tilting his head to the side cutely.

"Umm... no actually. I think I'm going to skip last period and just head home. I need to rest and think." Jongup wasn't lying, his head was going through too much right now and he just wanted to lie down. Standing, he dumped the items on his tray into the trash can, setting the tray on top, and headed outside. He didn't mind walking home, since he didn't live too far, and the walk was good for clearing his mind. Until he ran into a group of three guys, one being someone he didn't want to see. 

"Jongup! Hey!" Daehyun greeted, smiling that ridiculously gorgeous smile with those stupidly adorable moon crescent shaped eyes. The way Daehyun's hair was still grey and reminded him of the old times and his skin and face were as flawless as can be, just made Jongup even more mad about his mixed up thoughts. So mad, that he snapped.

"Would you quit following me?! How many times do I have to tell you, I don't like you! I don't want you! How could anyone want you?! You're so cocky and probabbly rich due to the clothes you wear and most likely one of those weird erted guys who just wants to get in my pants! So just ing leave me alone! Find someone else to want you, because I never will! But good luck, because it's going to be hard to find someone who can stand that stupid ing smile, those stupid ing dimples, that stupid ing hair, and your stupid ing eyes! You've got to be the ugliest person I've ever seen!" Jongup's heart clenched tightly, causing him to choke on his words a bit, but they were loud and clear. It was evident with the tears riding the brim of the elder's eyes.

The elder slowly lowered his head, hiding his face behind his fringe. Though the small sniffles told everyone there that he was crying. Biting his lip, the elder glanced up at Jongup and whispered out a small "sorry" before turning and running away. Youngjae, who was one of the boys walking with Daehyun, stepped forward and smack Jongup across the face.

"How dare you. How ing dare you. You had no right to talk to him like that; not as a best friend or a mate, but as a human. Do you have no feelings? Daehyun maybe a cocky flirt sometimes, but he is one of the cutest, sweetest guys I've ever met and I'm glad you guys aren't getting together. He definitely deserves better than you. You are the one who doesn't deserve him. God, you're such a ing and I don't see why Zelo is friends with you. I hope someone crushes your heart into a million ing pieces and then stompts on it for good measure. And I hope I'm there so I can laugh in your ugly ing face." Youngjae sneered, turning around to run after his best friend.

"Come on Yongguk." He called the other standing there, before he ran off. "Dae, wait!" The two left Jongup standing there with a stinging face and a wounded heart. What the hell just happened?

~~~~

Later that day, Jongup was sitting on his bed when Zelo busted down his door. 

"You son of a !" He yelled, launching himself at the elder and punching him square in the face. Before he could get another swing in, Jongup grabbed his wrists.

"Zelo, what the hell?!" Jongup shouted, really confused on what he did now.

"You're Daehyun's mate! You rejected him! How could you do that?! And then yell at him and tell him he's ugly! What the is wrong with you?! Youngjae was right! How could I be friends with an like you?!?!" Since Jongup had his wrists, Zelo dug his knee into the elder's stomach. 

"Damn." Jongup cursed under his breath, flipping them over. "Zelo... I know you're mad, but-"

"There are no but's Jongup! I ing can't believe you!" Zelo was struggling to get free so he could pound on the elder, but he knew his attempts were futile, so he just scuffed and glared at the elder. "Why? What gave you the right to break another's heart like you did?"

"Because I already love someone else!" Jongup shouted without thinking.

"What? Who do you love and how could they be any better than your mate?" Zelo pressed, trying to get the information out of the elder.

"You. Ok? I'm in love with you." Jongup looked away, getting up off the younger and pacing his room.

"W-what? B... but we've been friends for years. You couldn't possibly love me." Zelo tried to let the thought soak, but he was in denial.

"That's the thing. We've been together as friends for so long. I'm so comfortable with you and you are cute. I love you, Zelo." 

"Well, I'm sorry Jongup. I don't love you, I love Youngjae. You know how I feel about this whole mating thing and I really want to try and please Youngjae. He's my mate after all. And if you can't at least apologize and try to be friends with Daehyun, then I can't be friends with you." Zelo stood up and headed towards the door. 

"Wait, Zel-"

"Goodbye, Jongup." 

~~~~

(Wow I didn't expect this to be so long. I'm going to split it into two parts now! Here's the first update! will edit tomorrow)