PART I: The Past

I Won't Let You Go

A/N:

Hello. Here's the first part of this story. So it would a THREE-PART Story. and I hope you'll like it. Thank you guys for subscribing and please do comment if you like it or not. hahaha. I'm open to anything. :]

Take note, that I'm not using their real name in here.

 

  • Cho Kyuhyun as Greggory "Greg" Evans
  • You as Jeannette "Jean" McPhil
  • Lee Donghae as Jeremy Frie
  • Henry Lau as Dylan Smith

 

they're the characters of this story. there might be more, I don't know. we'll see :] Thank youuu! comment and subscribe!

 

-

 

PART I: The Past

 

South Reed.

I smiled while walking on the streets of this familiar place. It’s been a while since I’ve been here. It’s still the same. The city-like lights, the diners, the cafes and everything! The traffic, cars honking. People rushing to get the next cab. Nothing changed for the past three years. The same local bar stood at the farthest spot of this little town. And of course, the bus stop.

I spent so much time with this little place. Especially, when I’m late and waiting for the next bus. It’s feels so weird but at the same time, good. I’m happy to be back. To my old place. to my comfort zone. But nothing will surpass the feeling of this bus stop at nighttime. It suddenly brought back all the memories of my college life. Before signing a contract at the biggest music industry in New York, I was once a college student. Second year to be exact.

I closed my eyes and feel the cold breeze of the air. It’s September so it’s Fall. The brown leaves falling on those trees like a lifeless form. Poor them. I was sitting on the small stool of the bus stop and smiling at myself. I opened my eyes and I noticed that two middle-aged women are looking at me weirdly. We are the only passengers left waiting for the next bus. Maybe they’re wondering why I’m smiling at myself. Yeah, it’s weird.

Finally, the red bus I’m waiting stopped infront of us. I let the two women go before me. When I got inside the bus, I can’t help but remember my first sight of her sea-green eyes.

 

I am late. I am definitely late. I am on my way to my next class and I overslept. Thanks to Dylan’s Sunday Night Party. He always does this and I don’t know why. My head throbbed because of the hangover. I think I drank 3 or 4 bottles of liquor last night. God. What am I thinking? I looked at my watch and it says 6:50 am. My next class is 7 am and the bus ride is 15 minutes. I’m screwed. Totally screwed. I’m only hoping that our professor is absent.

I noticed that I’m the only person in the bus stop. So what I did is wait and wait for the bus. 15 minutes passed and I know I’m late. I was about to go when the bus arrived. Good. At least I can hangout at school. From where I’m standing, I peeked at the inside of the bus. My eyes widened. All the seats were taken and all I can see are white hairs. . It’s Monday so It’s free Senior Citizens ride day. How stupid of me to be late at this time.

With my head throbbing and everything, I still make my way to the bus.

I looked at the seats, hoping somewhere is available. As I walked through the aisle, passing the sleepy heads of the senior citizens. Wait, IS THIS A FIELDTRIP? Gosh. Okay, I sounded like gay with that but this is frustrating. My head still throbs like hell.

Just then, I noticed an available seat at the second to the last row of the bus. I hate sitting in those places but I don’t have a choice. As I walked going to that freaking available seat, I noticed that it wasn’t an senior citizen sitting there. It was or should I say She was a girl. A beautiful girl I may add. My heart suddenly started beating so fast. She has a ginger hair and her cheeks are red, naturally red. Like blushing. She’s looking outside the window. She was wearing a simple floral dress and a jacket that looks really good on her.

I was staring at her intently that I didn’t notice that she was looking at me with a confused face. I tried to smile at her but I think it comes off as a creepy one. She shrugged and look outside the window again. I noticed that she has sea-green eyes. The eyes that could make anyone melt. She is so beautiful. Before I stumbled on my place, I quickly took the seat beside her. Feeling uncomfortable.

Minutes passed and none of us spoke… She keeps on tapping her fingers on her lap and humming to a tune that I’m not familiar with. Just then, I could see the university ahead and she’s already arranging her things. So before I could miss this chance, I blurted out, “You’re going to South Reed University too?”

She looked at me. I could see that she is shocked but then she smiled. “Yes. I’m studying there.”

I smiled back. “Oh really. Me too. What’s your major?”

“Business. You?”

“Public Health.” Yes, I’m a Public Health student. My dad’s a doctor so he wanted me to take over the hospital we owned years after I’ll graduate. But I’m not into medicine. I want music. Sometimes, I get jealous of the Music students in our university. I could feel the joy in their auras. Unlike me. I’m in a cage wanting to be free but can’t.

“Planning to be a doctor,huh?” she smiled an amused smile.

I smiled, embarrassingly. “Well, yeah. Actually, it’s my dad’s plan for me.”

“Ohh.” She gave me a sad smile that made my heart beat loudly. Can she hear it. I flushed and tried to hide it. But I can’t help notice her eyes. “Mine too. But it’s my mom. She wanted me to take over her business in Paris.”

“Ohh. Tough job.” I commented.

“Not really. I’m starting to like it. All those stuff about…” and she went on. I half-listened. Distracted by her beauty. She continued speaking and I continued listening. It’s like I’m talking to an angel.

We went out of the bus together. And since our buildings are in the opposite direction, we said our goodbyes.

“Hey!” I shouted before she can leave. She looked at me as if asking why. “I’m Greg. Greggory Evans.”

She smiled. “Jean. Jeannette McPhil.”

“Nice meeting you.” I told her.

“You too.” She waved and turned her back away.

And that’s the moment, I realized I fall in love with her.

 

Finally, the two women’s stop was at my former university. I sighed. Memories from my college days came in my mind.

I don’t know what I’m doing but I suddenly realized that I’m already infront of the university. Why am I even doing this?

“Do you go here?” the blonde woman from the bus asked me.

I didn’t know until she talked to me that they’re beside me. So I answered them politely, “I used to.”

The black-haired woman, her company, smiled at me. “Us too. We’re just visiting the place.”

I nodded politely at them. I walked beside them going to the university and I heard them talking bout something I’m familiar with.

“…they said he’s going to play at The Brick.”

“You mean, Evans?! Oh my God! We should definitely go.”

I was two steps behind them. They’re talking about me and they didn’t even recognize who I am. I was wearing eyeglasses and a beanie. Oh yeah. They wouldn’t recognize me. The last time I did my photoshoot was when I have my long hair. Shoulder length. But I cut it to clean cut before returning to South Reed.

I walked away from them. It was only 8 pm and the campus closes at 9 pm while my gig starts at the same time. Great. I still have time to roam around the campus.

At night, the campus looked deserted. The buildings were still the same. But with the old buildings, there were scaffoldings. They’re renovating the place. My eyes landed on the small park inside the campus. There were no students at the place. feeling nostalgic, I sat on a bench, the same bench where I saw her cry.

 

Ever since that day at the bus, whenever we see each other, we always say our simple hello. I’d admit, every time I see her, she still makes my heart beats fast. I wonder if she could hear it. Dylan keeps on convincing me that I’m in love with her. I think it’s possible but I never felt something like this for someone in my whole life. My Dad said that these things are pretty insane so he doesn’t believe in it. My Mom and Dad were already divorced when I was in middle school so I had to stay with my Dad. During Thanksgiving, I would be at my Mom’s.

Every Monday, we often sit beside each other in the bus. We get comfortable with each other, chatting about small things and even ourselves. I learned that she’s half-british, thus her surname. Her hair and eyes are natural. She would only laugh at me everytime I greet her with a British accent and asked her how was Quidditch in Hogwarts.

Then, I found out that we have a class together, which is Literature. I was shocked when I saw her that time.

“You have this class too?” I asked her, shocked. She settled on a seat beside the girl in front of me.

She nodded. “Yup. Actually it’s my first time attending this class.”

That’s why I haven’t seen her. “You need to catch up with our lessons.”

She smiled. “I will.”

Suddenly, Mrs. Cadillac, our professor came in and greeted us. I can’t help but stare at Jean. She was listening intently to Mrs. Cadillac, taking down notes. While, I on the other hand, is just staring at her. I could see the way she smile. The way she put her fallen hair behind her ears.

I looked at Mrs. Cadillac, afraid that she might caught me staring at Jean. I heard her talking about something like we should give our understanding with the words she wrote on the board. There were: family, love, life, tragedy and so on. I knew she wouldn’t call me because she rarely calls me. So I just look at Jean again. This time she was talking to the girl beside her, smiling. They were sharing ideas of something about love.

The room suddenly shifted. I could feel that there were only two people in the room, me and Jean. I noticed that she has a scar below her left ear. Suddenly, she looked at me and I was shocked. She smiled with those red lips of hers.

“Mr. Evans, perhaps you would like to take off your eyes from Ms. McPhil and answer my question.”

I was awakened from my day dream. I’m still in the room and the whole class is looking at me. I looked at Mrs. Cadillac and she’s smirking. The whole class erupted into laughter. This is so embarrassing. They caught me looking at Jean. I looked again and her and gave her an apologetic smile.

“Mr. Evans?” Mrs. Cadillac called me again.

This time I stand from my seat. “Yes Miss?”

Mrs. Cadillac smiled at me. For a sixty-five year-old woman, it looks really creepy. “Could you tell us your understanding of the word, ‘family’ “ she pointed at the word FAMILY written on the blackboard.

Geez. Of all words, why this. I don’t really know what to tell. Aside from the fact that I have never experienced such thing, I also don’t want to talk about it. Will I pretend to be happy or will I share my sorrowful side. Yikes.

Just then, I saw Jean smiling at me. That smile gave me courage to answer.

“Family,” I started. “most of us would describe this as those who you’re related to and you can count on whatever happens. You could also share your problems with them because they’re very close to your heart…” I stopped.

“Go on,” Mrs. Cadillac nudged me.

I sighed. “Well for me, a family is not those who are related to you but those who are there for you in terms of hardship and failure. In my case, my friends are my family.” I smiled before sitting down on my seat. A fake smile. Who would be happy when someone asked you those questions. Ughh. -_-

Since the divorce, my friends are those who I counted on. Especially, Dylan. He’s also my cousin.

Mrs. Cadillac announced that this would be our project for her subject. We should find a partner to discuss this thing together. In the end, she paired me to Jean who was looking at me, smiling. Not a sad smile but a genuine smile which made me happy.

“What is the meaning of it for you?” I asked her. We were in the cafeteria, eating our lunch. We decided to meet here so that we won’t give any suspicious meanings to our meetings. I found out that she is the girlfriend of team captain of South Reed Griffins, Jeremy Frie. A blonde-haired guy with athletic built that made me looked down whenever I see him. It’s not that I’m thin or what, I’m just not as bulky as him.

She sip coffee from her tumbler before answering. “a husband and a wife and their children living in the same house but not talking to each other.”

I looked at her confused. She smiled sadly at me.

“It’s good that your parents are divorced,” She started. “my dad and mom don’t want to come up with that solution because of business. But they despise each other.”

I smiled at her, sadly. She didn’t say anything after that. She just continued drinking coffee. I’m just staring t her, memorizing every angle of her face. The way she laugh, smile, frown, the small scar below her ear. I know that I’ll never have her. She really loved Jeremy. From her stories, I knew she loved him. They’ve been together for a year now.

I was staring at her, intently, when suddenly, Jeremy Frie was at her back, kissing her hair. I looked away. They were kissing and talking. It made my heart ache. In the end, Jeremy sat with us and Jean introduced me to him. He seemed friendly but there’s something about him that I don’t like. It’s like a man’s instinct to know if another man is a playboy or something. I dismissed the thought, afraid that if I will say this to Jean, she might go away from me.

After a week, after all the first exams were done, Dylan and I decided to have a drink at The Brick, the local bar in town.

“So what’s with you and Jeannette?” Dylan asked. “You’re always with her the past few weeks.”

I shook my head. “We have Literature together and I’m always with her at the bus every freaking Monday.”

He laughed. “Senior Citizen Day!”

A blonde hair caught my eyes behind Dylan. I knew from my position that it’s a guy making out with a girl. Even though, it is dark, I could still see them because of the mini lights.

My eyes widened. I knew it is him. I knew something was off when he talks to her.

“What?” Dylan asked, confused. He looked at the direction I’m looking at.

“Holy sh*t,” he muttered. I nodded. It’s Jeremy. Jeremy Frie cheating on Jeannette McPhil. @sshole. If only I knew.

I’m controlling myself not to go over him and punch him. I’m angry. Really really angry! How dare he.

After that night at the bar, news speared over the campus about it. Luckily, someone took a photo of them and send it to Jean. She isn’t attending her classes. Even the Literature class.

Worried, I look for her everytime. Defeated, I went to the small park inside our campus and that’s where I found her, crying.

I sat beside her and put my hand on her shoulder. “You can cry on me,” I whispered. And she hugged me and cried on my chest.

 

Since it’s still 8pm, I knew that the cafeteria is still open. I make my way to the cafeteria and saw the same faces that worked there. I bought a coke from the vendo machine and sat at the farthest table which is near the door. I glanced outside.

*Kringg.*

My phone rang and I looked at who was calling. It was Dylan.

“Hello.” I answered the phone.

Dylan: Jesus Rory! Where are you?!

Me: I’m at the cafeteria dude.

Dy: great. So what time do you plan to come here?

Me: I still have an hour before my gig there starts so don’t panic. Just.. Just text me when she comes.

Dy: Ok. Bye.

I hanged up the call. I’m playing at The Brick tonight for her. I wasn’t able to say goodbye to her. I hope this time, I could say it again to her, that I love her.

 

Jean and Greg become really close after what happened. Jean would always count on Greg all the time. Greg, on the other hand, fell in love with her even more. They would always hang out together and they both dismiss the thought that it is a date.

But Jean hasn’t moved on. Greg could see that she still loves Jeremy. Yes, they would hang out together but he saw that she still longs for him. Sometimes, she would wear his varsity shirt and then she wouldn’t notice wearing it until Greg tells her. After that, she would cry again and Greg would always comfort her. Greg was determined to help her move on.

One day, they were at the park, Greg holding his guitar and strumming it carelessly while Jean re-writes their project in Literature.

“Can’t you play something?” She asked him, irritated. Greg kept on strumming his guitar and it’s not producing any good sound.

“Why?” he asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

She put down the notebook and sat closer to him. Students passing by would think they’re an item, but they’re not. They’re just sweet like this. Like bestfriends, for Jean. She closed her eyes and lean on his right shoulder. Greg’s heart started beating so fast. Even though they’ve been hanging out as friends, he would admit, he’s falling for her. He looked at her intently.

“It’s so annoying when you keep on strumming it like that,” she said. He stopped strumming. “I’m sure you can play something nice.”

Greg rolled his eyes. “Fine, milady. What song do you like?” he asked, sarcastically.

She shrugged. “Anything.”

Greg cleared his throat before singing. He placed his hands on the guitar, carefully and started singing. I hope you like it, he thought as he looked at Jean’s face leaning on his shoulder.

Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry

You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you, tell you I need you

Tell you I'll set you apart

 

Tell me your secrets and ask me your questions

Oh let's go back to the start

Running in circles, coming in tails

Heads on a science apart

 

“I know that song!” Jean suddenly said. He was halfway singing when she sang with him. She wasn’t leaning on his shoulders anymore. She was now staring at him, singing.

 

Nobody said it was easy

It's such a shame for us to part

Nobody said it was easy

No one ever said it would be this hard

Oh, take me back to the start.

 

I was just guessing at numbers and figures

Pulling your puzzles apart

Questions of science, science and progress

Do not speak as loud as my heart

 

Tell me you love me, come back and haunt me

Oh and I rush to the start

Running in circles, chasing our tails

Coming back as we are

 

“I didn’t know you have a good voice,” Greg told her as they finished singing. It’s true. Jean has an angelic voice. He didn’t know she knows how to sing.

 

She shrugged. “Nobody asks.”

 

“Are you a fan?”

“Not much,” she admitted. “but my dad loves them.”

Greg nodded. “I’m not an avid fan but I love their songs.”

“Have you tried listening to Fix you?” she asked. He shook his head.

When you try your best, but you don't succeed

When you get what you want, but not what you need

When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep

Stuck in reverse

 

And the tears come streaming down your face

When you lose something you can't replace

When you love someone, but it goes to waste

Could it be worse? …” she sang some lines of Fix You.

 

Lights will guide you home

And ignite your bones

And I will try to fix you…” Greg suddenly joined her.

“Yah!” she glared at him. “I thought you don’t know this song!”

He grinned. “I’m only kidding.”

She smiled and shook her head. They started singing again some lines of the song.

And high up above or down below

When you're too in love to let it go

But if you never try you'll never know

Just what you're worth

 

Lights will guide you home

And ignite your bones

And I will try to fix you

 

She smiled at him sadly. She leaned on his shoulder again and closed her eyes. “I hope someone could fix me.” She whispered.

I will, Greg thought sadly. Hoping for that day.

-

Greg had a gig that night. He was preparing for the song he’ll sing today at his dorm. Dylan was also there, watching him. Greg seemed nervous.

“What the heck dude,” Dylan complained. “Why are you so fidgety today?”

Greg sighed and shook his head. “Remember the agent I told you about?”

Dylan nodded. Greg told him about the agent from the music department who heard him sing at The Brick last summer. He’s been offering him deals to go to New York to study Music. “Yeah, why?”

“He contacted me today saying that he’ll see me sing tonight with his boss,” Greg told Dylan, happily. “He freaking wants me to sign a contract for their company!”

Dylan’s eyes widened. “WHAT THE HECK DUDE! CONGRATULATIONS!”

Greg grinned. “I’ll do my best tonight so that my music career would be flawless.”

Dylan shook his head. “did you already tell Jeannette about this?”

Greg stopped. He hasn’t mentioned it to Jean yet. Yes, they’ve been hanging out as friends and friends should know each other’s secrets and plans. “No. I didn’t even think about her. OH MY GOD.” He panicked.

“Calm down, Rory,” Dylan told him. “I’ll call her.”

Before Greg could stop him, Dylan was already calling Jean. Dylan sat infront of Greg, phone still ringing.

“Hello?” Jean answered on the third ring. She was on loudspeaker.

“OH HI JEANNETTE! It’s me Dylan.” Dylan smirked at Greg. Greg glared at him and mouthed don’t say anything stupid. Dylan nodded.

Jean: Oh Hi Dylan! Why did you call?

“It’s just that,” Dylan started and looked at Greg. “Greg’s playing tonight at The Brick and he wants you to come.” He said it really fast before Greg could complain.

Greg glared at him and cursed at him. What the f. he mouthed at him. Dylan smirked.

Jean: Oh really? What time is it?

“10 pm, tonight. Will you come?”

Jean: Oh sure. Let me just – WHAT THE HECK KIMBERLY! STOP BITING MY ARM! *kid crying at the background* - Oh I’m sorry Dylan, my sister’s so freaking naughty right now. I’ll come by 9:45 pm, is that okay?

“Oh sure sure! Thanks Jean,” and Dylan hanged up the phone.

“I WILL KILL YOU.”

Dylan laughed at him. “You’ll try.” He teased.

Greg rolled his eyes and lie on his bed. He threw a pillow at Dylan before closing his eyes. Jeez. What am I going to do tonight?, he sighed.

-

Greg and Dylan arrived at The Brick 30 minutes before ten. They were arranging the stage where Greg would play. Dylan knew how to play drums so he’ll also play tonight.

“What are you going to sing?” Dylan asked as he slammed the cymbals with his drumsticks.

*klang klang*

“What the heck, Dy,” Greg complained. “Stop doing that.” He sat beside Dylan. “You know Five for Fighting?”

Dylan’s eyes widened then he laughed. “Don’t tell me you’ll sing Superfreakingman?”

Greg rolled his eyes and sighed. “I don’t know what to sing. She’ll be here and I can’t focus.”

“So you’ll sing your life to Lois Lane,” Dylan teased.

“Shut your freaking mouth.” He glared at him.

“Am I interrupting something?” a voice said. They looked infront of them and saw Jean, smiling. She was wearing simple jeans and a Superman shirt.

Greg blushed. Dylan nudged him. “So now Clark Kent, here’s your Lois Lane wearing your alterego’s shirt.” He whispered.

Greg glared at him and Dylan walked away, leaving Jean and Greg.

“Come and sit here,” Dylan offered as he pointed at the chair beside him. They were at the stage and the spotlight isn’t on them yet.

Jean followed and sat beside him. “Good luck later.” She sounded tired.

“Are you okay?” Greg asked worriedly.

She nodded and smiled at him. “Kimberly’s just so irritating.”

“Kimberly? Your sister?” she nodded. “Well, I’m sure you can handle her.”

She sighed. “Good thing Mom came home early with Dad.”

“Are they okay now?”

She shook his head. “I can’t handle it anymore,” she started crying. “Their silence is so deafening. I wish they would freaking talk for a second. I wish they would have time asking me If I’m doing okay-“

“Are you doing okay?”

“- because it’s just..” she stopped when he asked her. She looked at him and frowned. “I’m not.” She admitted. “I miss Jeremy.”

He sighed and placed his arm on her shoulder. “You need to move on, Jeannette.”

“I just.. I can’t.” she sobbed. “I loved him. I always love him. He’s my first love.”

He comforted her. “It’s okay. You’ll learn to move on.”

“but what if I can’t?!” she said, mad. “What if I can’t even move on and I will always look at him from afar. I can’t handle it, Greggory, I can’t.”

Greg hugged her even more. “I’ll help you move on.”

Her eyes widened. She looked at Greg. “Really?”

Greg nodded. “Yes, I will fix you.”

She smiled at him, warmly. “Thank you Greg. Thank you.”

He grinned. “So when do we start?”

He looked at her and he noticed she wasn’t looking at him anymore. She was looking at something at his back. He looked at the direction and his eyes widened. Jeremy was there with a girl. Jeremy caught their gaze.

“Well, let’s start with this,” Jean told him. He looked at her confused.

She moved her face closer to him and to his surprise; she kissed him, full on the lips.

--- to be continued.

 

SONGS:

1. The Scientist by Coldplay

2. Fix You by Coldplay

 

[Note: Dylan calls Greg, Rory.]