Downpour

Alone in The Rain with Him

 

"For once in your life, why don't you go out and bathe in the sun?" Her mother questioned, her hands on her hips as she eyed her stubborn daughter who currently had her nose stuck in a book. The younger woman placed the bookmark in the book and faced her mother, knowing that if she didn't her mother would be annoyed and she disliked to displease her mother. 

Sitting up straight on the couch, Shion smoothed her turquoise sundress from any crease and swallowed a sigh that threatened to show. "Mum, any other mother would be happy that their child loves reading books." She said, avoiding her mothers previous question as she placed the novel on the side table. Her mother released an annoyed exhale, frustrated at her daughter's monotone voice and smart retort. "I'm not like other mothers; I want my daughter to be more vibrant and cheerful. I could've sworn I raised you happier than this." She babbled, ignoring her daughter's blank face. 

Shion stood up and patted the shorter woman on the shoulder, stirring her mother out of her bedroom. "If all you want is for me to go for a walk in the park than that's what I'll do." She smiled softly, waiting for the other woman's reply. Her mother's face instantly brightened as she exclaimed, "You would really do that? Really?" 

"Yup." Shion nodded and prepared to shut the door when her mother piped up. "Well, in that case make sure to spend a long time outside. I don't mind if you come back at one, as long as you finally get to tan that pale skin of yours!" 

Her mother finally left, much to Shion's relief and she leaned on the white door, listening to her mother's muffled broken singing and rolled her eyes. To many people, she going outside for a few hours would be no big deal, however her mother made it her personal mission to make her quiet daughter go outside as much as she can. Unfortunately, Shion is as stubborn as her mother, refusing to follow her mother's demands. Ever since Shion was young, her mother had been very demanding and spoiled, thankfully, Shion possessed no such trait, much to her father's respite.

A park is located no too far from her home and Shion decided to bring her books, her world there. Shion took her handbag and filled it with her iPod, her earphones and her novels. Putting on a hat, she unlocked her door and head downstairs where her mother was still singing albeit much quieter than before. She shook her head, a smile stretching her lips at her mother's obvious glee. She stepped outside and breathed in the fresh air of the clean environment, enjoying the sunrays soaking into her skin. She hasn't been out for a few days ever since school holidays started but the feeling of the outside world was placid and Shion was starting to regret ever caging herself inside her house. Nevertheless, she made her way towards the park situated not too far away.

Ruffling his dark hair, Kikwang lay limp on his bed staring up at the ceiling, wondering what on earth he could be doing right now. He picked up his phone and checked the time. 3.16 p.m. Looking around his room, he wondered what he could use to entertain himself with. His eyes spotted his PlayStation but he decided that he's played too much video game last night and it was starting to bore him. Kikwang stared out the window and at the bright blue sky that was accompanied by white, fluffy clouds. Birds were flying around and from inside his bedroom, he can hear the soothing sound of birds chirping. 

'That's it, I should go to the park!' He thought, and grinned at the mental image of the park in his mind. The park was a part of his childhood; his parents took him to the playground beside the park often and he used to spend hours on the slides. Kikwang stuffed his phone into his pocket and left the empty house.

His parents were on a business trip to the UK and left the house in his hands. This days, Kikwang seldom see his parents anymore who are incredibly busy due to the company's rise. Even though he lives in a comfortable lifestyle, Kikwang was taught by his parents on how to be grateful for the little things in life. The household also has maids and butlers stationed but Kikwang ordered them to take the day off from their duties and promised not to inform this to his parents. He is after all a seventeen year old and is more than capable of taking care of himself.

Climbing down the stairs, his footsteps echoed around the vacant mansion as he made his way towards the front door. Slipping on his shoes, Kikwang exited the house and ambled towards the park.

The journey to the park was peaceful and didn't take much time. Shion was strolling on the park's pavement with her earphones stuck in her ear blasting her favourite songs. Trees surrounded the park like a fence and was aligned on either side of the cycling paths. Shion enjoyed mother nature and sometimes volunteered in communities at school that holds charity for random environmental campaigns. 

She made her way towards a blossoming cherry blossom tree and sat on the bench that was stationed under it. The park was not crowded like usual and was kept clean and tidy. Leaves were falling as well as the pink petals of the cherry blossom tree. The petals landed on the girl's head, making Shion appear ethereal. 

She ped her bag and proceeded to read one of the many novels she brought along with her and in no time, she was immersed in the book and was not at all aware of the young man that sat on the far end of the bench. He had dark black hair and a muscular physique and like Shion, he was also listening to music, however he was very aware of the beautiful young lady that he was sharing the bench with.

Kikwang stared at the familiar looking girl that was burying herself inside the book, wondering where he's seen her. She was beautiful and radiated a quiet personality. He noticed that she was listening to music and was too preoccupied with the novel that she is reading and decided not to disturb her. He turned away, only once in a while throwing curious glances towards the oblivious girl.

While Shion was too engrossed with her book and Kikwang trying to figure out where he's seen her, the sky turned a light grey and the clouds a dark shade indicating that it's going to rain soon. Droplets of water dropped onto the page that she was currently reading and she looked up at the sky, startled that it was starting to drizzle. He finally noticed that it was raining when he saw the girl staring at the with an astonished expression on her pale pallor. 

Kikwang stood up, brushing the dust that was on the bench from his jeans and waited for the girl to make her move. Shion having finally noticed the young man followed suit, stuffing her wet book into her bag. Kikwang trailed towards one of the shelter and Shion followed suit, terrified of the lightning that's starting to strike. Every once in a while, the sky flashed brightly due to the lightning and not too long after the sound of thunder boomed. The petite brunette hugged herself in an attempt to protect herself from the horrifying lightning bolts. 

Settling down beside her, he took off his jumper and placed it on the surprised girl who stared at him with big doe-like eyes. "W-what are y-you doing? You'll f-freeze to d-death without y-your jacket." She stuttered, trying to slip off his jacket when he placed his large hand over her small ones. "It's fine, besides I'm not the one shivering." He explained, observing her shaking form and hugged her, thinking that by hugging her he would be able to spread his warmth. Shion immediately stiffened under his tight hold and tensed. She had no idea on how to respond to this. Thinking that hugging in a public park was inappropriate, she started to struggle from his tight hold but failed as he engulfed her in a strong hug. 

"Stop struggling, I'm trying to share my warmth with you." He said, staring into her eyes with a steel gaze, making her frightened. She only nodded and settled in his grip though she maintained a tensed posture. The rain showed no sign of stopping as it kept pouring but the lightning thankfully ceased. 

"Are we going to just stay here?" She asked, lifting her head from the stranger's chest. He shook his head, splattering some of the water droplets onto Shion. "No, we'll have to get out of here as soon as possible but I've got no umbrella." He answered, still holding her close to him. She sighed in disappointment at the thought of her books getting wet but decided that it's better than catching hypothermia. "Why don't we just run? If we stay here than we'll just get sick." She suggested, pulling away from Kikwang and was thankful that the male finally released her. It's not that she didn't enjoy getting touched by an extremely attractive male but she didn't see why anyone would hug her

He nodded. "I think you're right, it's no good if we just stay here." 

Having decided on not remaining at the shelter, Kikwang suggested that they return to his house to which Shion disagreed wholeheartedly. "I really can't go to your house. Why don't we just go to my house?" She said, pulling his sleeves towards the direction of her house but he wouldn't budge. "No, we're going to my house." He demanded and started pulling her. Shion struggled to keep up with his long strides. They arrived at the mansion drenched and socked to the bones, eager to feel the warmth the house would offer. 

They stopped at the entrance as Kikwang tried unlocking the door, or more like trying to find the keys in his pockets. His hands searched every single pocket he has on him but he failed to find it. Meanwhile, Shion waited impatiently at the side as she rubbed her arms in an attempt to create thermal energy. No keys was present in on him and Kikwang sighed, annoyed at his careless actions. 

'Must've left it when I wanted to go the the park,' he thought, finally remembering the house key that he forgot on the hook. Running a hand through his wet hair, Kikwang turned towards the girl and sent an apologetic face. "I can't find my keys...I'm sorry." He mumbled, his cheeks turning red at his irresponsible doing. Shion just replied with a blank face and remained quiet as she made her way to the gate with a confused Kikwang trailing behind her.

"Where are we goin'?" He asked as they made their way down a road that Kikwang was not used to. She tilted her head to face him before concentrating on the road towards her house once again. "We're going to my house." She replied. Both of them remained silent as the rain continued to pour onto their poor souls and the splattering of the rain meeting the ground ringing in their ears. The road was slightly slippery due to the water and puddles were starting appear on the streets. Shion lead the way, all the while avoiding the miniature ponds on the ground.

The rain wouldn't stop and the water managed to seep through the duos clothes, their attire clinging onto their body. Due to the heavy downpour, the journey took longer and Kikwang obediently followed the smaller girl. He noticed that the girl was incredibly small compared to him as she barely reaches his broad shoulders and her steps were short, making the journey longer than it should take. His eyes slipped downward and stared at her dress that stopped midway of her thighs, marvelling at how smooth and silky her skin looks and the droplets of water that cascaded down her legs didn't help at all; it only made her skin glisten under the dark sky. Travelling his gaze upwards, he could perfectly see the contour of her curvy hips, making his gaze darken and his mind clogged. 

"We're here." Kikwang immediately snapped his gaze upward to face the girl and prayed to God that she did not notice him ogling her seconds ago. He shakily nodded his head and felt guilty to even think of a stranger in such a way. Taking of his shoes, he waited for her to enter the house and followed suit, leaving puddles of water on the wood floor. 

Shion disappeared through the arc that leads to the kitchen, searching for her mother who was no where to be found. Giving up, she grabbed the towels from a cabinet and went back to the living room where the guy was and handed one to him. Mumbling his thanks, he dried his hair. "I'll go grab some clothes for you. The shower's upstairs on the far right." She said as she climbed up the stairs while running the towel through her wet hair. 

He climbed up the flight of stairs and turned right where she said the bathroom would be. Stepping in, he made sure to lock the door as he stripped out of his clothes. He the shower and soon enough the bathroom was filled with steam and fog. The warm water soothed his aching muscles, washing away the dirt and debris from the rain water that clung onto his skin. He sighed, 'Why am I feeling like this, I don't even know her. Heck, I don't even know her name.' He cursed, knocking his head onto the shower wall. He is alone inside a house with a girl that he thinks he's seen and he doesn't even know her name! He should be grateful that she didn't run away, creeped out that a male stranger hugged her. In fact, she welcomed him into her house and provided him with hospitality. He should really thank her later. 

Shion shifted through the wardrobe, looking for a suitable outfit for him but found that none of the clothes from her father's closet seem to fit the stranger's bulky physique. Standing up, she made her way to the attic that was located on the last floor in the house. As a child she used to be frightened of the attic and what might lurk in it but now she knew that the only thing lurking in it are cobwebs. As expected, the storage was dusty and filled with things. A circular shaped window hung high on the farthest wall with box stacked over each other against it. 

Shion walked over towards an antique dresser,sliding it open and pulling out clothes. 'This should do it.' She held a baggy top and trousers that won't be baggy for him at all, in fact she's doubting that it would fit him but it's the biggest size in the dresser. Shutting the attic door and making her way to the bathroom, she knocked on the bathroom door waiting for his answer. After several knocks with no answer she placed the clothes on the ground and head to her bedroom to shower and change into her pyjamas. 

Peeling off her clothes, Shion stepped under the shower and sighed in relief. Drying herself and slipping into a comfortable nightgown embellished with clouds. 'I'll see if there's anymore hot chocolate left.' She thought to herself, suddenly craving for hot chocolate. She boiled water and went about looking for cocoa powder and grabbing other necessary ingredients. Placing the sugar and milk on the counter, she waited for the water to boil, unaware of another presence. 

The sound of the kettle's loud whistle indicated that the water was boiled and Shion poured the liquid into two empty mugs. She added the other ingredients and stirred the solution until it dissolved. Shion also grabbed a jar of cookie and brought the snacks towards the living room. 

Kikwang smirked as he saw her bend and neatly placed the food and drinks on the table, trying to sneak a peek at her rear. 'Did I just tried to look at her ?' He mentally kicked himself as he brought his palm over his face and groaned. He joined her on the sofa and awkwardly took a sit beside her, both of them not knowing what to say.

Finally, Kikwang broke the silence, "Um, thanks for the shirt and everything." He mumbled, rubbing his neck in a nervous manner. She nodded and stared dumbly at his face, noticing that the top clung to his body like a second skin, showing off his sturdy build. She quickly turned her gaze and nodded, her heart beating in her chest in an uneven staccato. 

"It's nothing. Here, drink it while it's hot." She handed him a mug of hot chocolate and sipped on hers. It was silent once more as the two pondered on what to say. 

While biting into a cookie, Kikwang spoke up, "So...you live alone? Your house sure is huge." He said, scanning the living room and looking towards the flight of stairs not too far away. She shook her head, sending little pieces of cookie crumbs towards the carpet. "Nope, I live with my parents but my dad's on a business trip and I think my mum went to one of her gatherings." 

"Oh, your dad's a busy man like my parents huh?" 

She nodded, "He's seriously busy, it's rare nowadays for all of us as a family to meet up." Kikwang dipped his head in understanding, placing his now empty mug onto the coffee table. 

Suddenly, he remembered that he's yet to know her name. "Oh yeah, I didn't ask but..." Why was he all of a sudden very nervous? It's not like he's proposing, he's just asking for her name. Her name for God's sake! 

"Ask what?" She questioned, munching on the biscuit and turning to him with shining, innocent orbs. He's heart stopped as he took in her ethereal expression and inwardly sighed. 'Why in the world did she have to be so cute and y at the same time?!'

"Well, I just...I still don't know your name."

"I'm Shion, Sun Shion." She answered simply. "You?"

"Kikwang, Lee Kikwang." He replied. 'You can call me oppa if you want to~'He thought and grinned at the thought of her calling him oppa and wondered if she was older or younger than he.

"Which school do you go to?" He asked, shooting questions at her in an attempt to know this 'Shion'.

She leaned into the sofa and shifted into a more comfortable position, slightly brushing her legs against his. This made them both stiffen yet she made no effort to move. "How do you know I still go to school?" She said smugly, ignoring his previous questions and she asked hers. "Are you some type of evil stalker?"

Kikwang threw his head back and released a booming laugh that echoed around the once silent house. He recovered albeit small snickers escaped him. "What, do I look like a stalker to you? Besides, I think you look to young to be in college or at work."

A cheeky grin was plastered on her plump lips as she shook her head. "You don't look like a stalker but more like an ahjussi."

She shrieked as he suddenly stood up and tried to capture her in his arms but she luckily ran. They ran around the house with Kikwang at her heel. He ran slower but stayed behind her, if he wanted to Kikwang could grab Shion by her waist but he remained chasing her, prolonging the chase. In the end, he lifted her up onto his shoulder and brought her towards the couch. She released loud giggles as she struggled against his tight hold.

He threw her on the couch though gently, making sure she was not hurt in any way. Hovering over her petite form, her leaned towards her ear and whispered, "Do you want me to prove to you that I'm not an ahjussi?" His voice was hoarse and filled with meanings that Shion did not want to know. She vigorously shook her head, "Uh, I'm fine. It's okay." She laughed awkwardly as she tried pushing him from her. Kikwang finally came to his senses and moved away from her, moving his focus towards the floor. 

"Umm, which school do you go to?" She asked, trying to cut through the unpleasing situation. "Isn't it rude to ask people without you saying first?" He responded, arching his eyebrow at her and sporting a smirk. 

She huffed but deep down she was thankful that he was not guilty anymore. "I go to Scarcrest Academy, it's a private school."

His eyes widened. 'So that's where I've seen her- at school!' 

"Guess what, I happen to go to the same school as you." He said, smiling at her. Now it's her turn to widen her eyes. She did think that he looked familiar, perhaps too familiar. Kikwang appeared in many school games and won the school numerous amount of trophies and certificates but she stayed away from him as she prefers to be friends with people that lay low. 

Shion didn't know how to respond to that. "Aren't you in my class?" She asked. He nodded, "Yup, I see you always sitting beside the window."

She flushed and turned away. "I'm what you call a loner, I prefer to hangout by myself."

Kikwang shrugged, shifting closer to her. "Eh, I like loner girls, that means I won't have any competition with other guys." 

Shion cocked her eyebrows and tilted her head to one side. "So your type of girl is a loner? Well...That's something you don't hear everyday."

He chuckled and shook his head. "You could say that. I'm happy if it means that I don't have no competition."

She laughed at that, clutching her stomach as her body shook, immediately rolling of the sofa and landing on the floor with a loud thud. She groaned as the pain overtook her laughter. "Ow..." She whined, rubbing her sore bottom. Kikwang turned away, his cheeks turning red at the image of the brunette touching herself in such a way despite the pain.

The two did not notice that the downpour has stopped as they continued to converse amongst each other. Beads of rainfall continues to pour though only a little. The sun appeared from behind the clouds, shining onto Earth. The sound of the front door unlocking and a woman appearing shocked the duo. The woman looked identical to Shion, leading Kikwang to assume that it's her mother. He quickly bowed and said his greetings to the amused elder woman. 

She eyed them with one eyebrow raised. "Why hello there, didn't know I was interrupting something." She smiled, turning to face the young male. "I'm Shion's mother, Mrs. Sun. Nice to meet you." She nodded her head in his direction as a sign of respect. 

Mrs. Sun walked towards her daughter and whispered in Shion's ear- "You better give me some grandchildren by the time I get back."

Shion's face burned fifty shades of red as she hides behind Kikwang who looked confusedly at the mother and daughter exchange. Mrs. Sun turned towards the door and slipped on her shoes. "I think I forgot something at the supermarket, you kids have fun." She winked at the couple and quickly left, leaving them both in an awkward moment. Kikwang cleared his throat and rubbed his hands together.

"I probably should be going now...I'll see you around and I'll promise to return you the clothes." He informed her, eyeing the top that was given to him. A thought suddenly entered his head. "Is it okay if I have your number?" He asked, fishing out his phone from the pocket. She nodded and they exchanged numbers.

"Is this a one time thing?" She suddenly asked, searching his eyes for an answer. He looked at her in disbelief, "I hope it's not a one time thing. I've been meaning to ask you actually..." He trailed, avoiding eye contact. 

"I...Will you...Will you be my girlfriend?" He asked, looking at her uncertainly. In the short time they've spent together, Kikwang came to learn that she's a caring and fun person once you get behind her quiet facade. Her eyes widened and suddenly Kikwang was engulfed in a hug. 

"Of course I will!" She exclaimed, hooking her hands around his neck. Truth be told, Shion has had an interest on Kikwang for quite a long time but decided to not acknowledge it. The handsome male hugged her back, swinging her left to right.

"I should really be going now...I'll call you later." He said once they released each other from the embrace. She nodded with a smile latched on her lips. She quickly pecked him on the lips, adoring a pink blush on her cheeks. He stiffened but returned the kiss with more force. It lasted for a few seconds, leaving them both longing. 

"I'll see you tomorrow..." He said and left with an excited grin. She waved happily at his back as he practically skipped towards the door like a schoolgirl. When the door closed, Shion slid to the floor, limp and souless. Everything went too fast, however if felt right. She raised a limp hand to her beating heart and heaved a sigh.

Maybe...life is worth more than just books and now she knows that happy endings exist in reality.