Part 1

Birthday Revelations

[ Amber ]

 

It has been almost six years since Kibum and I started being friends. I knew him first when I was in my 8th grade in LA, and he was a year ahead of me. And that might leave you wondering how we could have possibly gotten close to each other when we never had the same class together.

Well since I was kinda fond of drama and performing arts, I would sometimes go to our school's plays and watch. And out of all the themes it used, what I like best was adventure and action. "The Three Musketeers" was one of the best performance they did so far if you'd ask me...

And that's the time I got curious who the actors were, specifically the man behind D'Artagnan.

 

Well, guess who it was...

 

 

 

of course it was none other than him.

 

I admired him a lot, and I must admit he was quite good at acting and singing-- considering that that play was a musical as well. I got interested in acting then, so eventually, I auditioned for theater arts and luckily... got accepted after. And given the opportunity to know him, I gather up the courage to talk to him, despite that my first impression of him was someone who's conceited and snob. Well, you can't blame me. He was popular, I might add.

 

But it turns out... he was the exact opposite! He's a bit of a diva, yes--well, not just a bit to be honest-- with all his bizarre and sophisticated clothes and fashion. But aside from that, he was really funny and friendly. We started hanging out every break time, and we'd practically memorize and review our lines for our plays together.

We would often grab some burgers after school, and one thing I cannot forget about him is how he'd practically spill all a ketchup bottle's contents on his food whenever we'd eat something fried. He was such a ketchup maniac, and this would always make me laugh at him.

Those days went out smoothly for about two years, we were basically inseparable like twins--

 

 

 

...until he needed to go back to Korea.

 

I felt really bad at first, but since his leave was already set and it cannot be delayed, I had no chance but to say goodbye to him. He promised me to keep in touch with me though, and thankfully, it worked out well for us, even though we were oceans apart.

And soon, I graduated, and my family left for Korea as well to manage some of my parent's business. I met him soon, and we were both glad to finally have each other's backs again.

He was the same as ever; still that funny and fashionable Kibum I used to know. Though he had gone extremely tall, almost six feet, and I must admit, though I never told him... he looked cuter.

I sometimes made mention of him to my girl bestfriends Qian and Jinri, and they would always always give me that teasing look.

 

EverySingleTime.

 

It's annoying... though something tells me I shouldn't be.

I would shout back at them, and tell them he is just like a brother to me. Though despite my protests, they'd still remark how my ears would turn bright pink whenever they seem to caught me off guard.

Well I'd always just shrug it off and move on.

I've missed him. A lot. His smile, his contagious laugh, the pranks he had used to play on me... and even his relentless persuasion for me to wear dresses and skirts, which I had no guts to wear.

 

I sighed.

 

And here I am again, forced to wear clothes I've never planned to try myself.

Though it's not him who's forcing me though... He's been out of town for three months already to manage some business...

I suddenly felt gloomy thinking about it.

"Oh my gosh unnie, you're gorgeous!" I stared at my friend in disbelief.

"Stop lying Jinri..." I glared at her.

She ignored my comment and combed my extensions, and pooled it around my face. I stratched my neck irritably, feeling the fake hair tingling my skin. Apparently even my hair wasn't spared from their dreadful makeover on me.

"Where's Qian?" I asked.

"Inside the car, waiting for us. Come on! It's your birthday, we should celebrate!" She said excitedly as she pulled me towards my room's door. She looks more giddy compared to me though.

Does he still remember my birthday? I thought to myself as I went outside of my room.

 


 

[ Kibum ]

 

 

Today is her birthday.

I sighed.

It's been three months since I last saw her, and I can't wait to see her. Fortunately our trip back to Seoul was set if not earlier, at least exactly the day on my best friend's birthday.

A memory suddenly took over my mind as I reminisce as far as I could remember, how she looked the last time I saw her...

My bestfriend Amber with that boy-cut hair...

The Amber who'd always wear baggy shirts, jeans and sneakers... and never have bothered acting girly and be graceful like how most women would act...

...leading people to think she's a lesbian.

Well, of course that's a lie. I never doubted her gender though. I know she's straight, if that's the right term to call it. She's beautiful in a different way... in which I believe only I myself could see.

Why?

Well it's because I am her best friend. And I am very grateful I knew her.

I suddenly smiled thinking about this.

"Man, I know you like her. Don't deny it." I heard someone say behind me.

I turned to look over my shoulder and saw Minho smirking at me. I rolled my eyes and stood up to fix my cuffs in front of the mirror.

"He's known her for almost six years, I wouldn't be surprised it he does." Jonghyun, one of my closest friend at my work added.

Heat suddenly burned my face, and I glared at them in annoyance. I tried to look angry, but I can't seem to manage to pull off a sadistic one.

Asmiling?

"Hey!" I tried to sound angry but failed. "J-just stop... talking about her okay?"

They both laughed at me.

"Aigoo, why are you smiling?" Minho teased. This jerk, really.

"I-I'm not! Just go away both of you and look for someone else to disturb!"

I grabbed for my phone and saw two text messages unread.

The first message was from Qian.

"We're near the Namsan TowerSee you soon." It read.

"On my way thereThanks lot." I replied back.

I then went back to my inbox and opened the last message left. And as soon as I saw the sender's name, I felt my heart diving down my chest.

I gulped.

 

Arisa.

 

"Oppa can I see you after work? It's urgent." She said.

What should I do? Qian and Jinri are expecting me to be there soon, I thought frantically.

I sighed.

"Meet me at Namsan TowerPlease just be quickhave an appointment." I replied back and went out of the room immediately, leaving Minho and Jonghyun with confused looks.

 

 


 

[ Amber ]

 

 

"Guys I need to use the rest room! Where is it?"

Both girls stared at each other.

"Ber, calm down. Come on, we're just gonna lead you down there." Qian announced.

"No! I'll be fine!" Damn ithave to pee. "Just tell me where it is, would you?" I exclaimed.

"But--"

"Please... I'm begging you. If you don't want me to pee here, might as well tell me where it is."

Jinri sighed. "Use the elevator. There's a washroom I think downstairs. Please be fast okay?"

"Don't ruin your dress!" Qian called out.

I nodded and bolted towards the elevator and left them two. This place is extremely high, and it felt like forever waiting for it to reach the ground floor. And after a few seconds, the elevator doors finally opened and I went out, stumbling a little on my 3-inch wedged heels. Luckily I was able to locate the restroom right away.

"What I relief." I mumbled to myself as I went out of the restroom. I scanned the place and noticed there weren't much people visiting this place today.

I began walking towards the elevator doors when something out of the blue caught my eye.

 

Or should I say... someone...

 

I rubbed my eyes and squinted, only to find out it wasn't just a trick of my eye or an illusion at all.

 

It's him.

 

 

 

 

Key.

 

But that's impossible, he's in Busan... I thought confusingly.

He was standing at a corner, his arms crossed over his chest. I inched closer towards him and hid from his view.

And at that angle, I saw a beautiful girl talking to him, probably on her early twenties. She's tall with a model's aura, with an innocent face and white skin. She looks like a really nice girl...

 

and something just twisted in my stomach.

 

"Is she his girlfriend?" I asked to no one in particular. From this distance, their voices were audible.

"Oppa, what shall we do? The marriage..." I heard her say.

 

Oppa... Marriage? I gasped.

 

 

 

So it's not just girlfriend... more than that.

 

I bit my lip.

 

She's his fiancée...

 

"I don't know, Arisa. But I have to talk to my dad first. Everything will be fixed soon, okay?" He took hold of her hand and squeezed it. She then wrapped her arms around him as he tapped her head gently.

"I'll be going then. Stay safe, okay? Please take good care of yourself... Um..." She suddenly stopped short as if hesitating and shook her head slightly. "Goodbye."

He watched her ride her car and waved at her.

I closed my eyes.

My body felt drained and dead, and my hands were trembling.

 

Why am being like this?

 

I reached for my phone and without thinking thoroughly, my fingers fiddled through the keyboard and dialed his number.

After a few seconds, I heard his familiar ringing tone, and he immediately received the call.

"Amber?" I heard him say.

I gulped and breathed for air before speaking. "Key where are you?"

"Me?" He sounded baffled. "I... I'm still in Busan. I-I'm with Jonghyun and Minho right now... Why?" He started looking around as if nervous I was around.

Well I am here... And he lied.

 

Two times.

 

I felt disappointment and anger washed over me. He never told me he was back. Nor even mentioned he even has a girlfriend.

"Nothing. Hope you're doing great. Bye."

"Hey--"

I hung up and didn't wait for him to finish, and bolted towards the elevator doors.