Chapter One

Best friend vs Girl friend

                    So Minseok and I have been dating for 4 years now and he’s perfect, really. I couldn’t ask for more. The moment I saw him on the other end of the bar, the moment he smiled and waved at me despite not knowing who I am, it just, I just fell for him right then and there.



                    We met just a week after my previous boyfriend and I broke up and how every break up’s aftermath usually go, I was sulking at the bar. I was drowning myself in hard liquor, quite inappropriate for a young lady like me but whatever, not my fault I was led on by some who actually made me believe that he was going to marry me some day.



                    When I met Minseok, the world suddenly seemed brighter. When he talked to me that night and stayed with me until the wee hours of the morning, just listening to all my banters about my previous relationship, I knew we had something. That he was something.



                    When I finally looked sober enough, he asked for my number. “So we can keep in touch.” He said. And with that, he drove me back to my apartment and we said our goodbyes. I wasn’t really expecting him to call immediately and actually, with all the rules boys have come up with when they get a girl’s number, I never really expected him to call at all, but when I got to my room, my phone rang, and I heard him talking on the other line.



“Same time, same place?” was all he said and for some crazy reason, I replied, “Sure.” And we hung up.



                    The next few “dates”, if you would call it, were amazing. It was a 360 for me, I mean, from dating a total douche, here I am with the most amazing man on earth. He’s gentle and caring and he actually listens to me. He was quiet most of the time, not really a vocal kind of person, but his actions spoke so much louder than his words. And after probably that night we first kissed, it was our 6th date I think and we were both so nervous we bumped each other’s teeth on the first try, I already knew he was the one.



                    After that kiss, everything went uphill for the both of us. He’s pursuing his dreams as an artist and I as a journalist. We have been to new places and discovered so many cultures, it was just amazing that I got to experience all those wonderful moments with him.



                    But after a while, we both realized that we’ve been spending too much time with each other. It’s quite funny really, how our problem was being together too much (unlike some couples we know) so we hosted a party at his apartment.



                    We met new people and made new friends. I introduced him to my friends and he introduced me to his. They were all pretty nice, his friends I mean, but the only people I really became close friends with after the party, were his group members. They were all part of this group called “EXO” and I guess they were famous in Korea or something? No big deal. Me and Minseok made sure that we tried not to meddle in each other’s career that much so I don’t really know the status of his group.



                    Anyway, like I said, they were all nice people. Kris was super cool and he had this guy always following him around... I think his name was Tao? Yeah, they looked so awesome and I couldn’t stop staring at them, I swear. Minseok even got upset with me and I couldn’t stop laughing at him for feeling jealous. I mean, yeah they're hot but they are totally not my style. And then there’s Baekhyun and Chanyeol, who were the life of the party. They were so loud and fun and they had every one partying without getting them drunk. And then there was Chen hitting on almost every girl in the room, except for me though because duh. Suho and Lay were a bit quiet all through out, I guess they weren’t much of a party person but yeah, they’re fun to talk with. Our topics were mostly about politics and the economy and life. They were both very serious people but they're alright. And Kai and Kyungsoo... Man, were they inseperable. They looked like a mother-son tandem and they were just too cute. Lastly, there was Sehun and Luhan.



                    Okay, first off, I don’t have anything against gay people but the moment I saw those too together, I just felt really sad inside because I couldn’t believe that these two very attractive people were gay. I mean, WHY? The way they clung on to each other when they first walked in and how close their bodies were... Like, I was just, daaaamn son.



                    But then, after they seperated, I saw Sehun hitting on my friend and they started making out all of a sudden and he started feeling her up in places my friend shouldn’t be felt up and that made me think otherwise about his uality. Maybe he was just clingy to his hyung.



                    Luhan, on the other hand, I still had doubts. For starters, he didn’t talk to a single girl in the party at all. He didn’t even talk to me and I was the host of the party. He only hung out with s and only talked to the other guys. And secondly, he couldn’t stop looking at Minseok. And he kept following him around like he was a lost puppy. He always had his arm around my boy friend’s shoulder and he was just so touchy with Minseok and I couldn’t stand it. I’m not sure if Minseok was aware of that but I surely was. It scared me how much he was so interested in Xiumin, and I know I shouldn’t be, but we’ll never know how the future will turn out, right? Plus, he knew Minseok better than I did and that’s really freaking me out and making me feel a bit jealous. But I tried my best to push that idea off of my head, because again, what were the odds of him liking my boy friend? He looked manly enough, I guess. Maybe I was just being paranoid.



                    When Xiumin introduced him to me, I already knew he didn’t like me. I saw the way he talked with other people, he was nicer and kinder. He looked more approachable and friendly. But when we met for the first time, he just shrugged and nodded, then proceeded to walk somewhere else. He was so rude and I can’t stand it. It would’ve been okay if I gave him a reason to be rude to me but I don’t remember giving him one.



                    After the party, I brought it up to Minseok and he just laughed it off and said, “He’s just warming up to you, don’t worry about it.”



Really? You call that warming up?



                    But, whatever. He was Minseok’s friend after all, and as his girl friend, I am obligated to get to know his close friends, and that means I have to work hard if I want to be on Luhan’s good side. But somehow, no matter how much effort I exert, he just won’t let me in. And I was pretty sure he hated me. And I am so pissed off about it.



                    One time, Minseok and I were having dinner at this fancy restaurant when all of a sudden, Luhan walked in and just sat on our table, like he wasn’t disrupting anything.


“Hey, Xiumin. What’s up?” And then they did this hand shake thing.

“Oh, hey man. Babe,” he suddenly turned to me.  “Is it okay if he eats with us tonight?”

Of course I couldn’t say no, so “Yeah, sure. Whatever.”  And I smiled, trying not to make myself sound annoyed more than I already was.


                    So, the night was just composed of them talking about guy stuff and their group promotions and it was just so frustrating how Luhan’s hogging up my time with Minseok and Minseok doesn’t even look like he cares that I’m there with him. I really just wanted to tell Luhan to leave, but I’ve noticed that Luhan was kinda like Minseok’s best friend and I don’t want to put Minseok in a tough place by making him choose between me and Luhan, so I let this one slide.



                    But in the next, oh I don’t know, 5 dates we had, Luhan just keeps coming out of nowhere and Minseok is just letting him.



                    That’s when I knew that Luhan was up to no good. So I invited him over to my apartment one time, telling him that Minseok was there with me (even if he wasn’t). When he got to my place and found out that Minseok wasn’t there, he just turned around and went for the door. But I stopped him.


“Hey,” I called him, but he didn’t turn around.

“Hey! I’m talking to you.” Then he looked at me and glared.

“What’s there to talk about? I don’t like you.” He bluntly said.

“I don’t like you that much either, okay.” I replied. “You’ve been nothing but rude to me and yes, I have noticed that you don’t like me. But why?”

“I just... don’t like you.” He said.

“Are you... Are you kidding me?” Then I started laughing. “I’m your best friend’s girl friend, for crying out loud. We’re supposed to get along. What is it that you don’t like about me?”

Then he just stared at me, and at this point, he looked pretty annoyed and mad already. “I don’t understand why we’re even discussing this right now. Since we both have this understanding that we do not like each other’s company, why won’t you just leave me alone? I mean—“

But I cut him off, “Is it because you like my boy friend? Are you in love with him or something?”

And he just bursted out, laughing. “What the are you talking about? I’m not gay.”

“Then what is it? What is it you don’t like about me?” I asked him, for the nth time.

He turned around and started walking towards the door, and before I could even stop him, he said, “You don’t deserve my best friend, you’re not right for him.”


With that, he slammed the door and left.

.
.
.

I think I liked it better when I thought he was gay.