Split

Pink

If Woohyun could speed up the hands of the clock, he would do it without a second thought. Watching that minute hand slowly roll around until it met up with the twelve again. Again... And again. Maybe college was a bad idea. Just the thought of Sunggyu being at home, by himself, no schedules to attend to, no young ones to care for, was enough to put Woohyun's nerves on edge. What was he doing back at the dorm? Was he lonely? Maybe he was struggling to cook a meal because Woohyun wasn't there to help him and his tummy in growling and he can't even boil the water right and who knows what could go wrong and most importantly SUNGGYU IS BY HIMSELF.

 

Sunggyu is by himself.

 

Woohyun closes his eyes, the soft lull of his professor's voice finally distracting him from the inaudible ticking of the clock on the other side of the room.

 

Maybe Sunggyu needed some time alone. Maybe Woohyun was just being annoying again and putting more strain on their relationship.

 

And maybe this whole not-rooming-with-Sunggyu situation was taking a toll on him. A big one.

 

But it had been so long since he woke, middle of the night, and was able to turn over and watch his best friend's chest rise up and down with the small sounds of slumber. When the company had divided the dorms in two so that all of the members wouldn't even be together in one apartment anymore, Woohyun completely broke down. Even when the two most sensitive, Myungsoo and Dongwoo, were okay with it, Woohyun was stuck in a fit of stubborn anger. The original plan was to take Sunggyu and Woohyun apart to be the leaders of each dorm. And Woohyun raised hell. He threw a fit, even punched the CEO in the arm for suggesting something so ludicrous. Everyone had seen the anger, but only Sunggyu and a half-oblivious Dongwoo saw the fear. Dongwoo just cried about it, but Sunggyu pulled Woohyun aside and played the role of the best friend he was supposed to be, has always been, and always will be.

 

Sunggyu let Woohyun cry all night, holding his hand tight the whole time and reassuring him.

 

"It's okay, Hyun. A dorm is just a place to sleep," he cooed all night. "They're right upstairs. They'll come begging for food soon anyways. We're a team no matter who we share a room with."

 

In the end, the CEO decided to keep Woohyun and Sunggyu together (because Woohyun is a royal pain in the and only Sunggyu really has the patience to deal with him) and gave Dongwoo power over the second dorm -- which was just Sungjong and Hoya who are (mostly) capable of taking care of themselves.

 

...Which brings Woohyun back to his current problem: Sunggyu is home alone. And obviously Sunggyu is lost nowadays with less kids to care for -- at least that's what Woohyun thinks.

 

And Woohyun needs to get home. Like right now. So the clock needs to hurry itself up so he can leave this wretched classroom and keep Sunggyu company like the dutiful little sidekick he is. And God does he wish that damn clock would work with him right now.

 

Woohyun picks up his backpack from next to his chair and tries to sneakily put all his belongings back into it. There's only 45 minutes left in class. Surely he won't get in too much trouble for skipping class and going back to the dorm to keep Sunggyu company...

 

----

 

Sunggyu puts a cube of sugar into his coffee, hoping to God that the small bit of caffeine he's about to ingest helps with the killer headache pounding away at his brain. He's dressed in loose gray jeans and has a black, stained hoodie falling off his slim torso. His hair is combed straight back, the droplets of water in his hair evidence of the quick shower he had been taking when he heard the doorbell calling for him. The two hours he actually gets to spend by himself, and someone interrupted the first chance had for a shower that lasts more than five minutes in two weeks. He had sighed, figuring it would be a teary-faced Woohyun asking to spend some time with him and was about to scold the boy for skipping class when the CEO came into his sight.

 

"What's up, sir?" he mumbles, pulling the coffee cup to his lips. "You usually don't come by here during your personal time." Sunggyu leans back on the couch, crossing his bare feet over one another. When he speaks again, there's a hint of annoyance in his voice, "...Or my personal time for that matter."

 

"I have some concerns," the man opposite of him says. "I wanted to talk to you about the housing situation with Infinite."

 

"What about it?"

 

"Mostly Woohyun's reluctance."

 

Sunggyu raises his eyebrows. "I thought we resolved the issue by putting Dongwoo in charge of the second dorm... Not that he's going to keep that title for long with Sungjong and Hoya around. Trust me, you don't want Woohyun running the show anyways."

 

"Dongwoo is not my issue here, Sunggyu."

 

"Then what is the issue?"

 

"Woohyun." His answer is curt. "And you."

 

Sunggyu's coffee cup returns to the table rather roughly. "Excuse me?"

 

"Well, I guess it's unfair to say Woohyun really," the CEO starts. "He did pitch a fit, but I expect that behavior from him. He throws at least two fits a day- even on his good days. The main problem is you."

 

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

 

"It means the original dorming arrangement was well-planned, Sunggyu. And the most important aspect of it, the only reason we even split this team up, was put you and Woohyun in separate dorms from each other. And you so easily gave into Woohyun's demands. You've created a problem here."

 

"I'm confused," Sunggyu groans, his headache knocking on his forehead. "Me and Woohyun are best friends. Why do you think we need to be in separate houses? It's not like we're fighting again."

 

The CEO stared at Sunggyu blankly. "You really don't remember, Kim Sunggyu?"

 

"Remember what?"

 

"What you told me?" Now it's the CEO who had annoyance in his voice. "When we drank together a couple of months ago?"

 

Sunggyu just stares at the CEO, his eyes narrowed.

 

"You told me you had feelings for Woohyun."

 

"Feelings of wanting to kill him for being such an annoying little ?"

 

"More along the lines of wanting to kiss him, Sunggyu."

 

Sunggyu scoffs. "That is ridiculous. Woohyun is my best friend, but honestly, I would rather kiss a turd."

 

"According to what you told me, that turd you'd rather kiss is Woohyun."

 

 "So you think that we need to be separated because I might boink Woohyun someday?"

 

"Yeah, pretty much."

 

Sunggyu reaches up to rub his temples. "Oh my God. That's so ridiculous."

 

The CEO stands up and pokes Sunggyu on the top of the head. "I installed cameras around this dorm to keep an eye on you and him. I'm having someone play through them to make sure nothing weird is going on that could put the team at risk. You know what they say Sunggyu: drunk words are sober thoughts."

 

"I am familiar with the phrase, but-"

 

"GYU-HYUNG!"

 

Of course, Woohyun always chooses the best moment to barge through the door.