One

Eric and Kevin's Dating Site for the Lonely

"Hey, Amber."

No response.

"Ambear?"

Not even a blink.

"Josephine?"

A slow turn and a hateful glare. 

But at least it's a response, right?

I smile at my long-time friend, pretending to be unfazed by the daggers she's shooting at me with her eyes. She may be a year younger than me, but there's no denying she's a terror to deal with when angered. 

"Would you like to join Kevin and my website? It is free, you know."

I smile wider at her, hoping she will finally agree. Ever since my roommate and best friend, Kevin Woo, and I made our exclusive dating site three years ago, we've been trying to get our androgynous friend to join it. We've come to think of her as a younger sister, and all we want is her happiness.

At least that's what we tell ourselves. What we really want is for her to be in a relationship so we can play pranks on her and her future boyfriend, maybe crash a few dates here and there. We take the role of an older brother very seriously. It's probably because we both have an older sister, and never could do that to them. But now Amber poses the perfect victim to our clever antics (though to be fair, she's still victim to them now. It would just be more fun if it were her and a boyfriend). The only problem is that she always rejects us and our pleads for her to make an account.

And she does not disappoint me now.

"No."

Short and to the point, as expected. 

She even turned her back on me and continued messing around with her computer, most likely editing some audio recordings as usual.

I sigh. I really should have anticipated the rejection, but you would think the girl would crack after so long. But something occurs to me, and a small smirk starts to twist my lips upward despite my efforts to contain myself. I remember something from our past that will most certainly secure my victory this time.

"Hey, Amber?"

So perhaps I overdo it a bit with the sweet tone, because the younger girl turns to me with a wary look and a suspicious "Yes?'

I let my smirk fully grow on my face as I ask, "Remember back in your junior year of high school? When that kid...what was his name again? Ren? Yeah, remember when he asked you out?"

I can practically see a golden trophy to celebrate my victory as Amber cringes and slowly nods. I almost feel bad since I know Amber liked the kid as a friend, but could never see him any more than that. I had never seen her so shocked as she did when the blushing kid stammered out a confession. Cute, but not cute enough.

"Remember how I pretended to be your boyfriend for a while so he wouldn't keep asking you out?"

She slowly nods again, clearly lost as to why I am bringing this up.

It takes all my willpower not to crackle like a mad scientist. I am finally going to be successful at my mission.

"Also remember how you said you owed me for life?"

Now she's nodding with a dark scowl forming on her face. She's finally picking up on my line of thought and where I'm going with all this reminiscing. And oh does she hate me so much right now, which is all fine by me. If anything, she hates herself more for that casually said sentence when the entire ordeal with Ren was over.

"Well, I'm here to collect my debt. Just make an account on our website. That's all I'm asking. Really."

That last part has to be added because she looks so skeptical and has a look in her eyes that tell me she is going to kick me out of her room very soon, debt or not.

But it clearly reassures her as she relaxes her body a little and looks thoughtful, like she is actually contemplating my proposition. And despite my confidence in my ability to secure a win, I'm still surprised she casually says, "Sure. I'll do it."

I try to hide the excitement in my voice as I ask, "You're really going to do it?"

And the girl finally laughs as she replies, "Yes. I hate it and I hate you for making me do this, but a debt is a debt. I owe you."

Huh. I expected her to at least plead a little and ask me to make her do something else. But then again, she wouldn't be Amber without that attitude of hers that so many people admire her for. If only she could see it.

Well, then again, that's why Kevin and I have made it our goal to get her to join our dating site. 

"Great! I expect a profile up by the end of the week, so you have four days? If you have any questions, you can come to me, Am."

I genuinely mean it when I say she can come to me if she has questions, and I feel generous for giving her until the end of the week. After all, it is Wednesday and right smack in the middle of the week. Never say I'm not kind-hearted. Mischievous, but nice.

But my kindness is pushed aside with a roll of her eyes. 

"Yeah, whatever, Eric. I'll go to Kevin. He's way nicer," she replies, a much too innocent smile gracing her face. 

She's learned from the finest, and I'm proud to say that I'm that finest. 

Her words don't actually hurt me since I know it's all in good fun, but I feign hurt.

"You don't really mean that," I argue, pout in place.

"But I do," she replied, still innocently smiling. That devil in disguise.

"No, you don't," I say adamantly, even though I know I'm fighting a losing battle.

"But I do," she repeats, her smile widening. 

"No, you don't."

"But I do."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

"Yes." My lips twitch a little as I try to hold back my smile.

"Yes."

"Ye- wait what?"

I get thrown off by her clever avoidance of the age-old trick. She was supposed to say no, and then realize her mistake and my second victory of the day. Alas, the girl has outsmarted me.

At least she isn't low enough to vocally gloat. Mind you, the key word is vocally.

Her eyes does all the speaking for her. She's clearly proud that she's beaten me at my own game, a rather rare occurrence. 

Shaking my head and laughing, I merely say, "Alright, you win. We're even. I'll leave you since you're busy, and I have a test to study for. See ya, Am!"

She replies with a chuckle of her own and waves to me before turning back to her laptop.

I walk happily back to the apartment I share with Kevin, elated to share the news of my accomplishment. 


I cannot believe I let Eric trap me into a corner with no escape and coercing me into joining his stupid dating site like that. But it's not like there was anything I could have done. He was right that I owed him a debt, and honestly, I thought he completely forgotten about it. But clearly not. 

Sighing, I lean back on my chair, my legs propping up on my desk. 

Eric just reminded me of my very scarring junior year of high school, although it's more cringe-worthy than anything. I still get cringe attacks when I think about that year of my life, wishing I could change it. 

To be fair, it wasn't as bad as I like to make it seem. The only really "negative" thing about it was Ren's confession. Or at least he went by Ren, for who even knows what reason. His real name is Choi Minki, which is pretty weird too, but who am I to judge. It's not his fault his parents chose his name. But Ren. Of all things, he chooses Ren as an alias. 

It's not even that I hated the younger guy. I still talk to him sometimes, and he's a friendly kid. I consider him a friend, but that's really all I see him as. Things got a bit awkward after my rejection of him, but he managed to get over it somehow. In fact, he now has a very nice girlfriend. I think her name's Minzy or something like that. I'm supposed to meet up with them soon, so I'll know then. But I'm pretty sure her name is Minzy.

Oh man, now I feel bad for forgetting her name.

But not as bad as I feel for myself.

How. How could Eric have done that to me. He adopted me as his younger sister. He's supposed to be nice to me, not torture me.

I'm so holding this against him for the rest of my life.

But since I already promised, might as well make the profile now. Better early than later.

With another short moment of self-pity and a groan, I rock my chair forward and sit properly again. I open a new tab in my web browser and type in "eandkdating.com". Cheesy. Believe me, I know. Almost as cringe-worthy as my life. Actually, no. Maybe a bit more. Scratch that. Much more.

The first thing that catches my attention is how surprisingly organized the website is.

The background is a light grey, and you can choose either female or male profiles to go through, and the labels are colored pink and blue respectively.

It's a nice color scheme until you look at the banner. I can't believe people actually take it seriously. It's literally half of Eric's face on the left side and half of Kevin's face on the right. Between their two faces is the sign-up/log-in dialogue box. There's a section for registering people to put in their basic information. 

With a disbelieving scoff, I start filling in the basic information and get redirected to a new page in which I can now customize my profile. 

It's simple enough to do, and I find myself having fun typing out my entire life story.

How great it is to be a sassy bastard with the intent to troll.

Great indeed.

I finally finish the cursed profile and rub my eyes that are sore from diligently staring at a computer screen for so long.

Picking up my phone, I unlock it and open my messages. Surprise, surprise. My conversation with Eric is the first thing to pop up.

"I just finished my profile," is what I text him before throwing my phone onto my bed and burying my head in my arms.

In my mind's eye, I can see that vexing triumphant smile on his face and I groan.Why did I agree to all this again?

Oh yeah.

That stupid debt.

Ugh.



A/N: Ayo whaddup, me again. Lol. Well. It's 5:30 am and I'm still not asleep oops. But hey, I got a chapter up, right? Right? /shot. 

I feel like this is kinda awkward but...oh well. It's awkward like me /slapped.

AY -Tigress-! If you're reading this and you're questioning why I wrote this in 1st POV, present tense, I'll explain why lol. I find this better to work with. I know, I know. I'm a crazy person. Ugh. "Headphones" changed me as a person. Lol.

Anyways. Omfg, there's so much support for this fic. Thanks to all you subbies, and I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! c: