FINAL

If Only
part one »
                    memories of him

        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

        » I promise....

       

   

It was a family tradition. On every Christmas Eve, the whole family would sit in a circle on the carpeted floor of the living room . We would share stories or tell jokes to each other. It was always the same thing. My dear three little children sat beside each other with a mug of hot chocolate coated with mini marshmallows in their hands. That's their and their daddy's favorite. My husband and I sat there, listening intently to their stories. What I didn't expect was the sudden question that came from the maknae of the family.

"Mommy, who was your first love?"

I looked at my maknae incredulously with widened eyes. I glanced over at my husband, only to see his trademark poker face that, though we've been married for thirteen years now, I really despised. I bit my lip as I stared at each of my precious babies. "Well, I don't mind to sharing, but it might get boring." I tried to reason. I was not trying to hide anything from them. The problem was just that I thought they were too young to know about this, though my eldest son once said that he had confessed to a girl he liked.

My middle child, despite his youthful appearance that I'm sure will remain even as he grows older, was incredibly mature for his age, a trait for which I am immensely thankful.

"I bet it'll be fun! Daddy must be your first love, right?" My eldest son, Haejoon, said while wiggling his eyebrows. I smirked at them.

"There's only a way to find out. Now, kids brace yourself to hear my story. But, just a warning. It's not too fluffy and mushy like you thought, because..." I paused a little and continued, "Well, if I remember correctly, I first met him when he began working at my part time job. My first impression of him was not really good because when I would ask him for a help, he ignored me. I swore to myself on that day that I didn't want to associate with himmore than necesarry."

" How old were you then, mommy," Ilhwa, my second son asked.

" Hmmm. About 23. I was in my final year of college at time." I replied thoughtfully. "I really thought that I wouldn't have to have anything to do with him anymore, but I guess fate said otherwise. Destiny brought us together."

The three pearls of the family stared at me with curiosity. I smiled at them knowingly.


It was late at night and I was still at work. Though my shift was supposed to have finished some time before, I had to work overtime because one of the night shift workers couldn't make it. It wasn't all that bad when I thought of the extra money I was making, as little as it may have been. Once the customers had began to wane, my manager let me leave a bit early, an offer that I had readily accepted. Still being a student, especially in my final year, it would look bad to be late to my morning class.

As I made my way home, I decided to take a shorcut home. I often took this route when I was running late to the class, but typically only when the sun was set high in the sky. It was my first time taking the route so late at night. I would be lying if I said that the idea didn't make me nervous. As late as it was, it was unlikely that anyone else would be taking this route.

With bated breath and trembling limbs, I began to make my way dowm the secluded street, wanting nothing more than the comfort of my bed. Suddenly, I felt a strong grasp on my shoulders. I gasped in shock as I turned to face my attacker. He reeked of alcohol. I attempted to free myself from his grasp, but evem in his intoxicated state, he was still stronger than me. As I was struggling to get free, it seemed as though he finally let go of me. My relief was short lived, however, as he abruptly shoved me, causing me to stumble ungracefully to the cool surface of the sidewalk.

He climbed on top of me, inching closer and closer, the nauseating scent of alcohol causing my stomach to churn. In a panic, I frantically screamed for help, shoving at the man with all my strength. A strong feeling of dread swept over me as I realized that my actions were useless because, like I said, it was very unlikely that someone else would be taking this route this late. I continued to fight back, my strength dropped slightly because I was shivering from fear. Just when I about to give up, I felt the weight of my attacker leave my body.

Hurriedly, I sat up, waiting for my blurry vision to clear. Still in a state of panic, I only faintly registered a loud, pained groan. It was only after I saw the drunk man hastily running away that i realized that it had come from my attacker. Once I had finally calmed my racing heart, I took a look at my surroundings. Only then did I notice another man standing in front of me.

Forcing myself to stand on still shaky legs, I attempted to make out my savior's shadowed features.

" Hunnie!"


The kids now looked at me questioningly.

" Hunnie sounds familiar." Hyeri muttered thoughtfully, her brothers nodded in agreement.

"It should be." I grinned, ruffling each of their hair. "Just listen, you'll find out."


 

I turned my head to the voice and though it was still dark, I could always make out the voice of an old friend. If I wasn't wrong, it had to be...

" L-Luhan?" I gawked as he swiftly moved to pull my savior into a tight hug before he turned to me, head tilting to the side as a gasp fell from his lips.

" Minji?" He asked me and that moment I knew it was him. I nodded at him, a smile forming.

" Is that.... your brother?"

Luhan looked at my savior and chuckled. He waved his hand dismissively at me, dragging the other man closer to me and I was shocked.

It was him.

" Hunnie's not my brother. We do look alike though, dont ya think? We just share an apartment." I only nodded at Luhan's statement.

Maybe he's not that ignorant. He did save me, I thought.

After that, Luhan offered to walk me home along with his roommate. I happily took his offer and no longer up for making my way home on my own. Luhan and I sometimes made idle conversation but as I expected, the third party just kept quiet and listened.

" Hey, what about a coffee date tomorrow?" Luhan suggested.

I thought about it for a moment. I wasn't working tomorrow and we do have a lot to talk about. I muttered a yes in response and waved them both a goodbye before I stepped into my apartment's block.

The awaiting coffee's date with Luhan arrived rather quickly, though im sure it was because I had so many classes that morning till late noon.

When I reached the café that Luhan had mentioned to me, I was a but suprised to see the other man seated next to my old friend. I assumed he was off today, too.

I didn't know and I certainly didn't care. I slipped myself in front of Luhan's seat. It looked like they had already ordered their drinks, so I called a waiter and ordered my drink.

"So I hear Hunnie also works at your place? Is that true?" Luhan started first. I hummed at him.

" Did he tell you?" I asked." Honestly, I never heard his voice."

Luhan's expression fell sour. He gave me a meek smile before he leaned to him and whispered something. The other rose from his seat, walking away from the table.

I stared at Luhan in confusion.

" He's going to the restroom." he answered my silent question, to which I replied with a nearly inaudible 'aahh'.He took a deep breath and looked into my eyes, taking on a serious expression.

" About your question. Yes, I heard it from Hunnie but not..." he trailed off "But I didn't hear it from him..." I cocked an eyebrow. What was that supposed to mean? " He wrote to me." Luhan paused for a moment. "He's mute."

Oh. He was mute.

Eeh?!

Luhan later told me everything about him. He and Luhan were neighbors when they were young. At the time, he had still been able to speak. They both were quite close to each other when they were still very young, until a tragedy happened. Luhan told me that there was an accident that took away his father's life and that was the moment where his life was beginning to change. As he was still a kid, his mother opted to remarry again so that he would still have a father to rely on, someone to look up to. After his mother remarried again, the whole family moved away and Luhan never saw him again after that.

That was until Luhan entered a high school and started to live by himself on gis own. Needless to say, Luhan was thrilled to learn that his new neighbor was none other than his childhood friend. The day he found out, he decided to pay him a visit. They were neighbors, after all.

When Luhan first visited, he was a bit weirded out by the fact that his step father looked much too young for his mother. Apparently, his mother had remarried several more times before she finally found her new husband. While he was not normally a skeptical person, he felt that the other boys new step father was incredibly intimidating.

After that, he did the best he could to rekindle the old friendship that he had once had with the other, always searching for ways that they could spend time together. One thing he had noticed about the other, however, was his drastic change in character. He was no longer that spoiled and cheerful kid that Luhan once knew. He was, in fact, quite the oposite. With his cold personality and perpetual stoic expressiom, Luhan began to worry, but he didn't want to say anything to offend him.

One day, Luhan texted him, asking if he wanted to go for a movies, of course he had gotten no reply. If it had happened once or twice, he would probably just shrug it off. However, it happened so often that it only proved to further his concern for his old friend. Even when he dropped by his apartment, no one answered. Having grown increasingly concerned, he quickly busted into the apartment.

As soon as he got into the apartment Luhan ran off to find him in his room, only to find the poor boy curled up in the corner. He rushed over, frantically asking him what had happened. He didn't answer and shivered when Luhan's fingertips made contact with him. He asked again, this time softly. With a quivering lips and trembling hands, he pointed his finger towards his parents room.

Following the others direction, he slowly stood and cautiously made his way into the other room. He didn't know what he had been expecting to see, but absolutely nothing could have prepared him for the site that awaited him. There, lying in the middle of the room was a body, blood surrounding it. He was so shocked, it took him a long moment to fit the pieces together. It was the other boys mother. Luhan panicked. He knew it wasn't the other who had done this, he loved his mother far too much for that. He suspected the other boy's step father. Not knowing what else to do, he immediately called the police.

Once the police arrived, they taken to the police station for further explanation. Luhan explained all of what he knew to the officer while the other sat quietly, not uttering a single word.

The officer then gave up on him, in the end transporting him to the hospital to see whether he got injured or not. Luhan followed him to the hospital. He could not leave him alone at a time like this.

Luhan waited patiently in the hallway as the other was looked over. The result of his examination came out afterwords, Luhan, as his closest person was told to meet the doctor. The doctor told him that the possibilities that he had been abused was high because there were a few cuts on his body and some whipped scar. He had also said that he may be traumatized on his mother's death, and that everyone has their own way of coping. The doctor said it was only a possibilities because now that he was mute, no one can know what had happened to him and his mother unless the criminal was caught which by that time Luhan was positive it was his step father's doing.

 

He was placed under the police protection along with Luhan because the police were convinced that the person who killed his mother was his step father. His step father had long not come home to the apartment so the police had a difficult time to tracking him down.

Everyday,Luhan would try to coax his friemd into speaking. According to the doctor, it was possible for him to speak again if he wanted to, time was the key factor. It would take time for him to heal from the trauma he had suffered. But every time Luhan tried he will fail. Still needing a form of comunitcation, he eventually convinced his childhood friend to comunicate through writing. Luhan was shocked to see what he wrote.

 

Luhan looked into his empty eyes sadly.

 

His step father was really a jerk from the beginning but his mother needed money and so she married him. Whenever his mother wasn't around, his step father got increasingly violent. He was nearly even . Once his mother learned of the abuse, she finally couldn't take it anymore, and sh confronted her husband. They fought for hours, so badly that they could be heard before the boy even entered the apsrtment. That was the moment when he saw his mother get murdered by his step father in front of his eyes.

 

" And Hunnie got scared that he hid himself in his room. Thankfully, his step father got caught in the end." Luhan ended his story.

 

I sipped on my drink, brain still registering the new facts that I just learned. That's why he ignored me.

 

" You took him into your home after that, right?" I asked Luhan. He nodded.

 

" I had to, or more than that I wanted to. Our family has known each other and when I told my mom and dad, they both agreed with me. He still needs to finished school and he only has a few more months until he graduates anyway." Luhan explained as I continuously sipped on my drink.

 

It was really heartbreaking for me to hear it. He had been through so much. That's when I realized something. Why had Luhan told me about this? I mean he only had to say that he has a dark past and I would have understood then.

 

" W-wait. Why are you telling me this? Is there something that you want from me?" I asked suspiciously. Luhan looked hesitant, buteventually nodded.

 

" I've been busy lately. I know you're busy too but I just want--" he paused.

 

" Go on."

 

He took a deep breath. Before he spoke," Can you please look after him at the work place. I don't want him to wait for me longer than he should alone."

 

I raised an eyebrow at him." He's a grown up, Luhan. He should know how to take care of himself."

 

" That's the problem exactly. You would think he was a tough man but he isn't to be completely honest. His past didn't make him any stronger, it just proved to weaken him more. He needs attention and love."

 

Luhan was right. While I didn't know him yet, I could already judged his character. My train of thought was interrupted when as the other man returned to the table. He looked at me with his usual expressionless emotion, but when he looked a Luhan while slipping himself beside him, he smiled.

 

He can smile.

 

" Luhan, I'd be glad to help you and Hunnie--" He turned to me at the sound of his nickname. "From now on we're friends." I smiled lightly.

 


"Wow! Uncle Luhan also knew your first love?" I nodded at Hyeri. Well, he knew too well about him.

 

I tilted my head a little to peek at my husband's face but seriously, how did he always maintain that poker face? I turned back to my awaiting audiance.

 

" It's kind of sad mommy. I mean your first love's past." Ilhwa pouted with a tint if sadness in his voice. My babies sure were growing up fine.

 

I caressed his cheeks.

 

"Yes, it was sad. So, always pray for your mommy and daddy's safety that you babies won't end up like that, okay?" The three of them nodded in unison.

 

" As I said before, I took up your Uncle Luhan's offer so I started to try and make conversation between him and me whenever I could. He was kind of scared at first when I suddenly became so friendly to him."

 


 

I tried my best to make him open up to me. I even treated him to a bubble tea because according to Luhan, his Hunnie loved, scratched that, loves bubble tea so much. And to my luck, he started to smile at me though it just a small smile but I was thankful for evem that.

 

The other employees found it stange to seeing me act so friendly towards him. They knew I had started out on bad terms with him, but I didn't bother myself to tell them why I had this sudden change in attitude. It was only an act of kindness. He saved me and I felt as though I owed to him. After all, I did tell him that we were friends and I even said yes to Luhan for helping him to look out for him.

 

That was what I thought in the beginning, however It slowly changed to the I-think-you-are-cute of feelings. I noticed how cute he can be especially when I accompany him to wait up for Luhan to pick him up. He always stood outside the shop and pouted slightly. And if a cat or dog suddenly showed up from nowhere, he would pet them like the cute animals were his and he would muttered an hour inaudible words to the animals as if the animals could actually understand him.

 

I approached him one evening, walking towards him with chocolate bubble tea in my hold. I leaned towards him as he sat in a ball on the ground outside of the shop.

 

" Here." I handed him the bubble tea. He took it without looking at me but I could see his eyes quietly beaming at the gesture

" You sure love that, huh?" He nodded enthusiastically. I ruffled his hair and he looked at me with a frown. I chuckled a bit before I plopped myself beside him.

 

" Don't you want to talk again?" I started quietly. The slurping sound stopped suddenly. I eyed his expression.

 

He looked sad. I encircled my arm around his shoulder and brought him closer, startling him with my sudden actions

 

"Hunnie, I know I just met you how long ago? Two months maybe, and I only just decided to befriend, you but here's the thing. I have a lot of friends besides you and I hate to see them giving up their dream." I paused for a while.

 

"You're one of my many friends and I know you truly want to talk. You spoke to all those cats and dogs for that purpose, right? You want to be able to speak again." He nodded meekly. I smiled at him and gave him a squeeze on the shoulder to reassure him, "Just believe you can do it but don't push yourself too much."

 

He kept quiet, not moving an inch as he leaned heavily on my shoulder while he waited for Luhan to arrive. He didn't even finish his bubble tea that I bought for him. He must be in a deep thought.

 


 

I paused abruptly.

 

" Is there something wrong, mommy? Why are you stopping?" Haejoon questioned. I turned to my husband with an innocent look plastered on me. He stared at me, confused.

 

" Yeobo, can you please refill my hot chocolate. I'm thirsty," I pleaded shyly. He shrugged his before taking my empty mug. Just when he got up from his seat, my three children also asked him the same thing as I did. He may looked calm with his poker face, but I am sure he felt interrupted when I asked him to.

 

Indeed. he does love me.

 

" Daddy, I want more marshmallows in it!" The maknae shouted and my husband responded with a deep yes of his.

 

" Well, let's get back to my story."

 

" We're not going to wait for daddy?" Hyeri stared a me. I shook my head." Daddy already knew about this. He doesn't need to hear it twice, right?"

 

She nodded and shifted her body to a more comfortable position.

 


 

The more time I spent with him, the more I felt attached to him. It was like something that I've never felt before. I wondered what it was.

 

Luhan always initiated skinship with him, with a reason he needed more love and care. Thus, I did just that. The both of us really awkward at first but I told him that this way, he and I can get along better. I started to hold his hand whenever I got the chance. Somehow, it felt right. It felt perfectly fit in my hand. Then, we increased our skinship with casually linked our arms together and hugging each other was no longer an awkward thing between him and me.

 

He would smiled at me more often than before and I felt so happy, incredibly happy that I can make him smile and look at the enticing smile.

 

So beautiful. So deli--

 

I shook my head as the relization suddenly hit me, I liked him.

 

I liked him.

 

Wow! It felt surreal to me as I never liked any other boy as much as I seemed to like him. It was because I would only stare at the boy that I liked and never thought of anything like his face or what. With him, I noticed almost everything. Almost.

 

How he would scrunch his nose when was tired and how he puffed his cheeks when he lifted a heavy things.

 

I was scared to know that the feelings I had for him was not just any platonic love or crush. Well, I can't be sure of that so I just let my feelings flowed for him without confirming it. After all, I did not think that he would like me back.

 

As usual, I was with him waiting for Luhan to show up. After around 15 minutes or so, Luhan still hadn't shown up and we both began to feel quite anxious. Luhan would always fetch him around ten minutes after his shift ended. I opted to text him. He replied to me a bit later asking me if I could take him home on my own, as he had other things to do. It was strange. I knew he was busy, but I didn't think he actually had anything to do that day. Just yesterday we met for a coffee and he said he would be free today from assignments. Unless, something came up.

 

I told him what Luhan had just texted me and I could saw the sadness in his eyes. He often looked sad but this one was rather different from before.

 

He showed me the direction to their apartment. It was not really far from the shop as it only took 10 minutes to walk. I walked him until to the front door. I waited for him to open the door and got in. When he stepped into his apartment, I told him to have a good evening and began walking in the other direction, but I was stopped when he grabbed me by my wrist quickly. I looked at him. His lips quivered and I can feel his hand trembling. I asked him what was wrong, quickly growing concerned.

 

" D-don't. Don't l-leave me"

 

He spoke. He finally spoke.

 

I gasped but when I realized his eyes shimmering with tears and I impulsively pulled him into a hug. I gently patted his back and hushed him with soothing words, telling him that it would be alright.

 

I dragged him back into the apartment and we both sat down on the couch with him still trembling. I carefully asked him what had happened and why he suddenly told me not to leave. He was able to speak again so I expected him to answer my question which he did, with an ever shakimg voice.

 

" I-I'm scared. And l-lonely. H-hyung always spends his time with h-his girlfriend. H-he no longer pays attention to me any more. It hurts m-me." He hung his head low and stared solemly at the floor.

 

That second, everything flowed into my heart. The pity, the sadness, the feeling of wanting to just hold him. And the hurt that stung on my heart. I was certain. I was sure of it.

 

I hated seeing his cry. I took both his hand into mine and lifted his chin to meet my gaze.

 

"Hey, I'm still here. You won't be lonely and scared anymore.I promise you I will always be there for you. Just tell me if you whenever you feel sad or lonely, okay?"

 

He nodded and I pulled him into a hug. That night, I stayed there late just to make sure he was alright.

 

The next day when we went to work, he seemed a little bit different. Happy? It wasn't clear, but sometimes he would give me a smile and then quickly turned away. I approached him during our break, wanting to be sure that he was alright after the events of the previous night. I swore everyone around us that moment was gasping in shock. They didn't know about his inability to speak because of his past but certainly they never heard his voice. Of course the shop manager knew about and of course he was surprised too. Nevertheless they all were smiling and started talking to him because I guess they just fascinated that he finally talked.

 

A week passed and Luhan seemed busy either with his assignment or this girlfriedn girlfriend that I had never met myself. But, now that he was busy I would be able to spend more time with my new friend. Our relationship was getting better each day and it would be a lie if I said my feelings for him were not getting stronger because of it. I never had fallen love like this before, and I wasn't really sure what to do. The only way I can express my love for him was always be with him.

 


 

My husband put each mug in front of us and I muttered him a thank you before I drank a sip of hot chocolate.

 

" Mommy, why didn't you just tell him about your feelings?" Haejoon asked.

 

" Well, it's complicated, dear. He only opened up to me and it was my first time. After all, I still didn't know him quite well. He looked tough with his expressionless face but who knew he was scared to be left alone." I said.

 

" Like daddy. Daddy loves to do his poker face. Look, he's doing it now." Hyeri was so eager that she went to my husband and poked his face. I chuckled and saw my husband scrunched up his nose at Hyeri's action. He then pulled Hyeri to sit on his lap wrapped his arm around Hyeri.

 

What a lovely sight.

 

" Yes, sweetie. Like daddy." I pinched her cheeks and she laughed." Back to my story, I thought Luhan knew about his ability to talk again but it turned out he didn't know."

 

The children furrowed their eyebrows together.

 


 

I was on my break, opting to spend it eating lunch. Somehow I felt really hungry that day. As I opened the lunch box, he came to the back of the shop and sat in front of me. He stared down at my lunch box and then he looked up at me. When I looked into his eyes, I could feel my heart beating so fast because this was the first time our eyes were locked together.

 

" Can I have some?" I was snapped out of my trance. Blood rushing to my cheeks. I bit my lips nervously and nodded.

 

" Will you feed it to me?" I stared at him with widened eyes. Since when he was this clingy? I nodded reluctantly and scooped up a spoon of rice and meat. I shoved it into his mouth and he chewed it so clumsily it was almost adorable. I chuckled at him and he smiled at me while chewing.

 

I noticed that a grain of rice had sttuck to the corner of his lips. I gestured at his mouth telling him there was something at the corner of his lips but he only stared at me innocently. I leaned to him and remove the grain of rice from him but then I realized that my face was so close to him. I felt the heat of my face rose. Just a few centimeter away and I would finally able to kiss him.

 

Only a few centimeter.

 

Just a little...

 

" Minji-ssi"

 

I was so startled, that I jumped and accidentally kissed him on his cheek. I quickly stood up straight and glared at my coworker who was now running in the opposite direction. I turned to him and saw a faint blush on his cheeks. I pondered as to why he suddenly blushed and then the scene just now struck my mind, it was now my turn to blush. I kept my head hung low and stared down at the floor. I tried to peek at him and coincidentally he also looked straight at me. Naturally, we both laugh at each other.

 

It may not the best memory of him and I together but through it, I can continue to hope that maybe, just maybe, I would have a chance with him.

 

Later, we both chatted with each other. He asked me about my university life and I would asked him how's living with Luhan so far. He answered it cheerfully and at some point, his tone sounded a bit sad. As we we went on with our conversation, a familiar voice calling his name with a surprised tone.

 

" Hunnie?" Luhan incredulously stared at him." Y-you can talk again?"

 

He looked down and nodded. I was taken aback by the situation. Luhan didn't know yet?

 

Luhan was loss at words. He felt incredibly shocked to be able hear his childhood friend talked again. I thought he would go to him and hugged him but instead, he walked away.

 

What had just happened?

 

The following day, I decided to ask him about Luhan. Unfortunately, he didn't show up. It was the same for the next few days. When I asked the shop manager, he told me that he had already quit. My heart clenched.

 

He didn't tell me about it. I felt hurt and it was unbearable. I only had two weeks before I quit the job too because my final exam was coming. If he'd told me, maybe we could still meet up. Of course I knew his and Luhan's shared apartment but it'd be awkward to come over. It was like I was the one who's chasing him.

 

After I stopped working there, my hope to be in love with him slowly faded but my feelings for him were still there. I lost contact with him for a few months until my final exam was over.

 

I remembered after the final subject, I decided to be enjoy the day by going clubbing with my friends. What I didn't expect to see at the club was him. I saw he was dragged by a man with a scar on his face to outside of the club. My instinct told me to follow him so I followed him behind.

 

As I slipped out from the club and his myself from everyone's sight, I heard a loud thud. I immediately peered into the scene. My eyes widened upon seeing the scene.

 

He was getting beaten up by several men. I really wanted to jump into the scene but I knew I would get into trouble if I did so. I can only pray that he would survive from the beating. It was so hurtful to see him like that but that's the only option. If I were to save him, the possibility of we will be left out was high. When the men had enough with him, thy left him abandoned like that.

 

I rushed to him.

 

" Hunnie! Hunnie! Wake up!" I slapped his face gently to make sure he still conscious and alive. He coughed out blood and it was kind of terrified me.

 

"J-Jimin-ssi." His voice cracked when he called my name. I hushed him and quickly called the ambulance to bring him to Tue hospital.

 

Stay strong. You can't die just yet. Not yet, at least.

 


 

The three kids shuddered in fear. Hyeri clung on my husband's shirt t tightly as the two boys scooted closer to each other.

 

" What had actually happened, mommy?"

 

" Aww, did my babies get scared. He's not going to die. Yet." I teased them. Hyeri frowned cutely at me for teasing her.

 

" Okay, okay. But,seriously he didn't die. I swear." I pulled up my hand like I vow for something and the kids gave me an okay look. I continued the story.

 

" It looked like after he quit the job, he got into troubles as he enrolled to a college nearby his apartment. He was bullied for having a dark past. How those bullies even knew about it, I didn't know how. And it was them who beaten him so badly at the club. He worked there as the bartender there and it was a coincidence for the bullies found him there."

 

I took a small breath before continuing.

 

 


 

I waited for him to wake up at the side of the bed. He had wake up once before but I guess he still tired from the beating. I caressed his cheeks and my mind flew to think about what if(s) questions. This would never happened if I worked hard to keep in touch with him. I knew his apartment and I have Luhan's phone number, I could have asked Luhan about him.

 

But, I didn't. I just let him be a part of my past.

 

I sighed. I straighten up my and looked at door of the ward. I've called Luhan and I told him about what happened to his childhood friend.

 

" Hunnie!" He rushed his step to him and when he saw him still unconscious he turned to me.

 

" He's fine." I said as I understood what answer he wanted from me.

 

Luhan sat on a chair on the other side of the bed. His eyes looked so sad and somehow his eyes looked exactly like me.

 

After a few hours, he finally woke up. I called a nurse to check on his condition. Luhan and I stood side by side in front of the bed. As soon as the nurse finished check up on him, she told us that he was okay and told us the doctor will inform us if he could get out from the hospital.

 

" Oh, Hunnie! I'm so sorry." Luhan spoke up. He shook his head to Luhan.

 

" I-it's not your f-fault, hyung." He said with difficulty. He tilted his head to me." Thanks."

 

I smiled and said it was nothing. After all, I've promised him before. I promised to always be there for him. I wanted to say that but something stopped me.

 

The three of us talked for a bit but Luhan and I talked the most. We most talked about our latest life event and it seemed that the three of us tried to avoid the unanswered question as to why suddenly Luhan ran away that day and why he suddenly quit his job without telling me. Later, Luhan had to go as he promised a friend that they would meet up.

 

When it was just the two of us, the atmosphere was palpitated. We both wanted the say something to each other but no words were uttered.

 

" Do you remember the promise I made for you?" I broke the silence. He nodded."I've been neglecting that promise so I want to make it up. Would you let me into your life again?"

 

He kept quiet. I sighed.

 

" I missed you." He said after a while. I was taken so aback by his words that I sputtered out, " Me too."

 

"I'm sorry." He said again." I wanted to tell you about my leaving from the job but I couldn't. And when I wanted to look for you, you've already gone and I didn't remember your apartment so.."

 

" Ah, it's okay. I'm glad I could meet you again, though it wasn't under the best of circumstances." I soflty replied him.

 

We both continued to chat but it's not the same conversation as when Luhan was with us. It's more deep and relaxed. He told me that he had a friend whose skin was tanned but looked so attractive. He taught him how to dance and he totally enjoyed it. He told me many things. From the happy memories to sad memories. I listened to him with a smile tugged on my lips.

 

As it was getting late, I told him I had to leave and I would visit him again tomorrow. I was about to leave and then I heard him said.

 

" I'd love to have you back in my life."

 

I turned my body and tears welling up in my eyes.

 

" Thank you. It meant a lot to me."

 


 

" And that's when you started dating him, right" Ilhwa eagerly said. I chuckled at him.

 

" Patient, my dear.Be patient."

 

His expression fell and pouted his mouth. So cute like his daddy.

 

" I visited him regularly for three days straight from morning till evening. Sometimes, Luhan would come at noon and he was exceedingly grateful towards me for visiting him every day. And on the fourth day, something happened."

 

The kids' body stiffened and intently listened to me.

 


 

I could not come to visit him like I usual did because a friend of mine had a heartbreak and I had to listened to her feelings all day. It was dragged till night and I mentally cursed her ex-boyfriend of her for breaking up with her. I could not visit him because of that heart breaker. I went back to my apartment and slumped myself on my couch. I flipped on the channels on the TV and I stopped at a breaking news. It seemed a patient from a nearby hospital where I lived ran away from the hospital and got into a car crash. It was the hospital where he was charged in.

 

It's not him, right? I thought.

 

I called Luhan to asked about him and Luhan said he had visited him in the evening and he was in a good condition. I still felt uneasy. It was so annoying me that I opted to goto the hospital.

 

To my shock, he wasn't there and I started to panic. When I asked the nurse there, eventually, it was him that ran away and got into the car crash. My world crumbled in an instant. And I could not think straight that the last thing I saw was darkness. I fainted.

 


 

Their eyes widened and their mouths were hanging open.

 

" He was in coma for approximately ten months. During that time, I was devastated. No one knew why he ran away from the hospital. But, some nurses said that they saw a group of boys visit in him during night. The police thought maybe it was because of them that he ran away. Through the CCTV, they got caught and eventually, it was those bullies, they threatened him to keep quiet about their visits and it looked like, they hurt him. Not in the hospital but somewhere else outside the buildings."

 

" Didn't you notice his weird behavior, mommy?" Haejoon questioned me. I shook.

 

" No. I guess he had lived with so many dark past that he knows how to act okay in front of people. I felt so useless when I knew about it. I wanted to be always there for him bit I could not notice his pain." There was a sadness laced in my tone.

 

Knock! Knock!

 

We all turned to the front door. I stared at my husband and he understood what I wanted so he put Hyeri down and went to the front door. He opened the door and a blond haired man with a pink haired man stood there with presents in their hands.

 

 

It was Luhan and..

 

" Oh! It was you guys. Come on they've been waiting for their Uncle Lu and Uncle Hunnie." My husband invited them in.

 

Haejoon seemed to think about something and when he finally figured it out, he went to me and jumped happily.

 

" Hunnie is Uncle Sehun,right?" He stared at me.

 

His younger sister and brother looked at me too and waited for my answer. I nodded slowly.

 

" Wow! It's Uncle Hunnie! You were mommy's first love. I thought it was daddy." Hyeri ran happily to Sehun and hugged him.

 

Sehun hugged her back and lifted her up in his arms and cocked an eyebrow to me." I'm your first love?"

 

Luhan pouted and protectively wrapped his arm around Sehun's shoulder.

 

" Hell no, Hunnie! It was the past. She's got Chanyeol now." Luhan sternly said. Chanyeol, my husband rolled his eyes and I chuckled walking to him and kissed his cheeks.

 

" Language, Luhan. My kids are innocent. And, I already have this giant as my husband." I playfully stuck my tongue out.

 

" Yeah, she has me, so don't worry." He kissed my forehead and I giggled.

 

" Oppa! Mommy and daddy being grossed." Hyeri shouted and tried to wriggle out from Sehun's hold and went to his two brothers.

 

" Now, kids let's behave. You won't get any presents if you don't behave." Chanyeol said. The kids unison said yes to my husband. They all went to get their hot chocolate and sat down on the floor.

 

Sehun went closer behind me and whispered," Thank you for keeping your promise. And for loving me once."

 

I turned to him and gave him a tender smile. It was the truth, I stuck with him all the time until he finally awaken.

 

" And thank you for letting me loving you before and thank you for being alive."

 

We both walked to our partners respectively. I was glad we both have found the one we loved. And I was truly happy that I met him.

     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

         

   Author'sNote   

         

        » gonna write from luhan or sehun or chanyeol POV. Don't know when but I will.