Fluffffff

First Impression

Jongin drags his feet because no he doesn’t want to eat lunch and get to know the weird kid with the bug eyes. One judging stare is all he needs, thanks. But Junmyun insisted.

“But, hyung, he’s scary,” Jongin lowers his head and peers at the older boy, trying hard to imitate Kyungsoo’s face. “Please I don’t want to eat alone with him.”

“Kim Jongin,” Junmyun doesn’t look amused. “You have to.”

 

So that’s how he finds himself face to face with Do Kyungsoo, the vocalist extraordinaire with the tiny shoulders. Kyungsoo has his fringe tied up. The apple hairdo looks cute on Luhan, but on Kyungsoo it just further emphasizes his round eyes – dark pools of black that is staring into Jongin’s soul.

“So…uh,” Jongin isn’t the most outgoing person. “So.”

Kyungsoo nods, “Junmyun said you wanted to get to know me better?”

Jongin replies with a weak smile.

Lunch is uneventful after that. Kyungsoo continues to eat while Jongin contemplates homicide.

 

Kyungsoo is not bad; quiet but not bad. Sometimes they share soft whispers about the correct feet placement during practices, and occasionally they talk about what if’s and in the future…just shooting the breeze because practice hours are too long, and it gets too taxing on their bodies without at least some sort of distraction.

They share more lunches, awkwardness waning because of familiarity. Junmyun is safe to live another day. It’s usually just the two of them, with Jongin mostly saying whatever comes to mind. He can’t remember the last time he’s had to talk so much. Kyungsoo mostly nods along as he listens. On good days, Kyungsoo punctuates Jongin’s soliloquy about teenage angst with short comments here and there.

 

“Do I still make you nervous?” Kyungsoo asks one day.

Jongin thinks, “No. Not anymore. Actually, I feel really comfortable with you.”

Kyungsoo grins, “My bug eyes don’t bother you anymore?”

“Who told you!”

“Junmyun.”

 

Lunch continues to mostly be just the two of them, but sometimes Chanyeol will join. Chanyeol is boisterous, lanky arms flailing as he retell stories about his childhood. Kyungsoo laughs, eyes crinkling. Jongin feels less pressured to talk, so he watches instead.

He watches Kyungsoo’s face lights up from each smile, the way Kyungsoo leans away from Chanyeol’s touches, casually shrugging off gangly limbs from his shoulder.

.

Jongin does a lot of watching. Kyungsoo is small but feisty. Kyungsoo is contemplative, choosing to stay on the sideline instead of the center of attention. Kyungsoo dances like a fool and doesn’t care about what he looks like to others when he’s in the mood – but he blushes easily at compliments.

One day Jongin accidentally brushes his fingers against Kyungsoo’s cheek. He watches as Kyungsoo leans into it instead of away.

.

“And you? Do you feel awkward around me?” Jongin asks.

“I’ve never felt uncomfortable around you,” Kyungsoo says, head resting on Jongin’s shoulder.

 

Small touches become more frequent because Jongin can’t get enough and Kyungsoo doesn’t move away. Jongin especially likes the nape of Kyungsoo’s neck. He thinks he might be developing a . Jongin still thinks practice goes on too long, his skin chafing from the sweat and long hours. But then he catches Kyungsoo’s eyes in the mirror and he thinks it’s not so bad. He doesn’t know why he was so scared before, Kyungsoo’s eyes are kind, they’re clear and bright. Jongin likes that Kyungsoo can see through him, knows exactly what Jongin is thinking.

Lunch is no longer a monologue about Jongin’s life. It’s also filled with stories about Kyungsoo’s pre-trainee days, fears, dreams – Jongin listens more than he talks sometimes.

“I can’t type very fast,” Kyungsoo confesses one day.

Jongin blinks, “I don’t think it’s a necessary life skill for an idol.”

“But,” Kyungsoo chews on his top lip. “Don’t we have to reply to fanboards?”

“Let’s worry about debuting first,” Jongin teases.

 

Kyungsoo chews on his lips a lot. It’s a nervous habit. And because Jongin watches, he can’t help but notice – and his mind wanders to a lot of scenarios involving Kyungsoo’s lips. Embarrassed, he doesn’t think he can meet the older boy’s eyes anymore.

“My eyes still bother you?” Kyungsoo sighs.

Jongin doesn’t know how to put I fantasize about your lips into socially acceptable words, so he shakes his head. “No. No.”

“Then look at me when I’m talking to you.”

He does despite the burning in his cheeks. Jongin’s life is long suffering.

 

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo calls, hands waving in front of Jongin’s face. “Are you still paying attention to the movie?”

Truth is, no. It’s hard to pay attention when they are sitting side by side like this, on Kyungsoo’s bed, laptop perched in between. Jongin thinks movie night is a bad idea after all.

“Jongin, look at me, are you okay?”

Instead of Kyungsoo’s eyes, Jongin turns and sees Kyungsoo’s lips instead. And because Kyungsoo never leans away, because Kyungsoo’s wide eyes see everything Jongin is feeling, because they’ve gone from awkward lunches to sharing the same breathing space – Jongin leans forward – close, closer.

Kyungsoo smiles before their lips touch. Jongin takes that as a good sign. He presses closer still, fingers threading through the older boy’s hair. Jongin runs his tongue along the seam of Kyungsoo’s lips and -

“Guys?” Junmyun’s voice calls out, “Why is it so dark in here?”

They jump apart. Kyungsoo stutters something about movies and recreating theatres. Jongin wonders why Junmyun is still alive.