003

Tales of the Prince and the Scholar

a/n: oh you guys are excited to meet Jonghyun huh? Well it’ll be a bit later just watch out for the popping dino on one of the chapters.

---

Onew and Minho trekked a couple of miles to reach the address scribbled on the paper. While Minho wasn’t even breaking a sweat, Onew was puffing and huffing like the big bad wolf. Minho laughed at his hyung, being a royal sometimes mean not having enough exercise.

“Shut up Minho.” Onew hissed as he caught his breath and finally able to finish the trek towards the house of Song Manbo.

“Ms. SoHee?” Onew asked and the lady carrying a basket of vegetables turned to face them.

“Yes?” She asked and Onew beamed a smile at him.

“I am to inquire about your late husband.” He said and showed her the seal of the crowned prince. The lady paled as she saw the emblem and then looked around to see if there are others that followed them before leading them inside the humble house.

“What connections do you have with the government?” She asked and Onew smiled at her warmly.”

“Directly reporting to the king, you can tell us anything madam, and none will be channeled through the ministers and the court.” Onew uttered and Sohee nodded.

“What can I do for the crowned prince then?” She asked and Onew laughed.

“Very smart like her husband. I came to talk to him but I find him dead without any heir to the bloodline.” Onew said and Sohee nodded.

“It was to protect my son.” SoHee uttered and Onew perked up. ‘A conspiracy is plotted against the government and Youngwoon had sensed that this would happen.” She enumerated and Onew nodded.

“When I bore my child, we had him sent to a faraway place to spare him from the fate connected to the bloodline of Kim Jaejin. The government had been at odds with my family, as my husband and brother-in-law had been very vocal with their satires.” Sohee stated and Onew nodded then smiled.

“So his death was caused by vested interest?” Onew asked and Sohee nodded.

“They couldn’t keep him quiet with other ways so they took him away one night and killed him.” Sohee cried, recalling the night of her husband’s disappearance.

“I understand. I trust that you could help us find your son?” Onew asked and Sohee looked at him with concern laced eyes.

“Will you promise me to protect him at all cost?” Sohee asked and Oew nodded.

“You have my word.” He replied and Sohee stood to retrieve a small notebook from a shelf and handed it to him.

“It’s a poem written by Youngwoon, it is where he kept our child and his cousin.” Sohee uttered then sensed danger is coming.

“I told you that I am not interested in your merchandises.” She shouted which alarmed the two.

“What is happening?” A guy entered and Sohee ran to his side.

“They are insisting for me to buy their stuff.” Sohee explained and Onew bowed to the man then turned to the wife.

“I am sorry to pursue such act on you madam. We will get going then, as payment for your hospitality, please take this.” Onew handed her a bag of coins and she gritted her teeth. ‘For your kindness madam, I am still a merchant and business is my priority.” Onew said then bowed to the two before he left the house and walked back towards the trail.

When they were a good distance away, Onew let out a sigh and turned to Minho. “She’s a captive.” He said and Minho nodded.

‘This will be difficult hyung but we need to find the two remaining Kim’s.” Minho stated and Onew nodded.

‘We set out after we devised a plan. This is more than what I am imagining it to be, we are dealing with cold blooded criminal Minho.” He stated and Minho nodded.

----

To where thou art my beloved son
The bundle of joy that once was mine
I sent thee away, far from my way of life
In hopes of sparing thy soul from the tongues of fire

Where hill bounded south,
The border lies near the north,
Endless seas border the east
A green place nestled the west.

I’ll leave thy young one here
For you live
In time I wish for nothing
But your forgiveness, my little one.

Onew read it over and over again, something in the poem that he just couldn’t grasp, something deep yet shallow at the same time.

“Hill bounded south…” Onew trailed as he searched the map for hills. “Sea by the east…” He then searched and stopped at a place at the tip of the South Korean Peninsula.

“I got it!” Onew shouted dashed towards Minho who was currently sleeping on his bed.

“Wake up sleepy head!” Onew remarked and pointed at the map. “We are going here!” Onew stated but Minho just groaned and returned to sleep.

“Hey!” Onew punched the younger but it didn’t bring any improvement on their situation. “aish!” Onew said in frustration and then went to his own bed to sleep.

The morning rays woke him up and as soon as his eyes adjusted to the light, he rushed towards Minho who was already finishing dressing himself after a bath. Onew sat next to the younger lad and pointed at the place they needed to go.

“Yeoldo-go?” Minho asked and Onew nodded.

“This is the closest place that resembles the description on the poem.” Onew explained and Minho scratched the back of his head.

“it’s a long Journey hyung, might as well prepare a lot of stuff before we go out there.” Minho suggested and Onew nodded.

“Let’g go on an adventure Minho!” Onew said happily as he ran towards the bathroom to shower before they headed out.

The market was bustling with life as the busy place teemed with people from all sorts of shapes and sizes. It was indeed a busy day which made Onew smile wide.

“The trade is going well.” Onew uttered and Minho nodded next to him.

“Let’s get the stuff that we need hyung . We need to hurry if we want to catch the afternoon bus.” He uttered and new nodded before the searched for their supplies.

~

a/n: Howdy guys.. sorry for those who find this a bit slow. Jonghyun will appear soon I promise so please hold on for a while. Thank you!