Prologue

My Angel

Naeun~

Naeun was four when she was abandoned by her parents. Where did they go? She tugged on her babysitter’s sleeve now and then, asking quietly where her mommy and daddy were. But no one had an answer.

They were missing, and some even assumed them dead. It was then that Naeun began to feel a dark wave wash over her. Her once bright and curious four-year-old aura dimmed down into an ominous gloom. It wasn’t until her seventh birthday that she found a light.

. . . . . . .

There was no one to celebrate with.

Naeun was taken in by her grandmother, but it was like Naeun was taking care of her. She was sick, and though Naeun loved her very much, it made her sad to see her halmeoni laying weak in bed. She shared a breakfast of rice and soup with her before leaving to walk in the forest by their house before school.

The forest was nice and quiet, and Naeun liked to let out her frustration there.

“Who’s there?”

The voice startled Naeun as she stepped on a branch, which made a loud sound as it snapped. Naeun whirled around, trying to figure out who trespassed into her special forest. She peeked behind a tree and blinked. It was a boy, about her age, who was sitting at the edge of a small pond with his legs dipped into the water.

“H-Hello. I’m Son Naeun,” she introduced herself, bowing like she’d been taught to. When she straightened, she walked over to the boy and sat beside him, ready to tell him off. However, when she turned, she was shocked. The boy’s eyes were large and bright with cheerfulness, and his whole body seemed to radiate his brightness. And behind him were . . .

“I’m Lee Taemin, eight years old! Wait. Can you see them?” the little boy enthused. He turned, and through the slits that were cut into his shirt so delicately, a pair of thick and beautiful wings burst out. “Do you have any?” The boy suddenly – and roughly – turned Naeun around. She yelped in surprise. “No?”

“Of course not!” Naeun jerked away from him and scooted farther, but Taemin only followed, grinning like a fool. “What are those?”

“Wings! You’re human, right? That means I must’ve really made it to the earth,” Taemin observed, looking around the forest. “I snuck out of the Light when Appa (father) wasn’t looking. It’s nice here.” The Light? What in the world was the Light?

“I know,” Naeun said, a bit irritated. Why was this little boy so . . . shining? “But why do you have them? Are they real?”

“Of course they’re real!” Taemin laughed, falling back into the grass. Naeun watched as his wings flattened obediently with him. “You wanna feel the feathers?” Naeun hesitated before she lowered herself. Taemin’s wing wrapped around her like a blanket.

“It’s soft,” she exclaimed, and for the first time in years, she smiled. It went on like that for a week. Before and after school, Naeun would visit Taemin at the pond, and they would talk about her boring life and his wings. However, on the seventh day she visited Taemin, he wasn’t sitting comfortably on the ground. He was standing, and staring at his bare feet on the grass.

“Naeun!” Taemin shouted when she drew closer to him, slowly. Instead of joy in his eyes and voice, his tone was full of regret. “I’m sorry. I don’t think I can see you again.”

“What?” Naeun stammered. Taemin was her only friend, the only one she could talk to.

“I didn’t know . . . My appa is so mad at me. I can’t be on earth anymore, or something really bad will happen. You weren’t supposed to know about me, my wings, what I could do . . . I’m sorry, Naeun. You have to forget me,” Taemin said.

“How could I ever do that?” Naeun protested, when suddenly Taemin pressed his hands against her temples. Her eyes widened, her irises sparking, and then she fell to the ground. She saw Taemin’s blurry figure standing over her, shoulders shaking with sobs, and then he flew off. And that was the last time she saw him.

Taemin ~

Taemin felt horrible for erasing Naeun’s memory, but his father said that she was seven anyways. That memory wouldn’t be important to her in the future. For Taemin, though, he would treasure the memory of his first and only human friend.

“Appa,” he said as he returned to the Light. His father faced him, a stern expression the only thing he revealed. Taemin gulped and stepped back. “Appa, I’m sorry. I didn’t know that I wasn’t allowed to. She doesn’t even know that much.”

“Do you realize what happens when the Light or Dark comes to the Middle. The earth?” his father interrupted, booming with anger. Taemin flinched. “The Middle separates the two warring regions, Lee Taemin! You cannot disturb the wall between us! Do you feel anything for this human?”

“No,” Taemin lied, falling back on his in his fear. His father would only scold him.

“Good. If anything as horrible as feeling for a human, a Middle roamer, then both the Light and Dark will have to take part in the situation. Lee Taemin. Do you know what it means when the Light and Dark must both be involved in something?”

“It’s bad,” Taemin whispered. “Kaboom.”

“Exactly,” his father sighed, turning his back on Taemin. “Thank the Light that She didn’t know you were in the Middle.” She was the ruler of the light, the all-powerful queen. “Don’t you dare go back there, or the Dark angels will get involved, and you and your human will be in danger.” Taemin nodded frantically.

Still, when his father finally cooled down, Taemin began to watch over Naeun as she grew up. As he looked after her, the portion of his heart that she occupied began to grow. But he could never fall in love with a human. Could he?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

ASDFGHJKL

HYPERVENTILATING

I DID IT!

All of my friends (who I bother to tell that I'm writing a fanfic) are bothering me to post already, and I finally did it. I was working on this story for months, to be honest, but I was too scared to actually do anything with it.

yea.... yeah . . .

Anyways, it's here! If anyone's actually reading this, IT'S A MIRACLE! Thank you, readers!

baaai

-pannashawol