Transcend

Nothing Feels Real

 

 

 

 

 

How do you get so empty? Who takes it out of you?
-Bradbury, Ray
 
 
 

 


 

Transcend (tranˈsend)

-be or go beyond the range or limits of (something abstract, typically a conceptual field or division).

 


Is there a reason for this death?

Can there be?

No.

No, this isn't it.

No, there cannot be.

No, not like this.

Not like this.

Blazing sirens, blue and red are reflected off the puddles, and whispers among the bystanders set flames into this dark day.

The murder is only a block away from the other shooting last month; or was it last week? 

The truth behind this incident? A gang rivalry has created chaos among the city; their next target was spotted in King Park. A van sped up, the shooter aimed at the target, but instead of the target the bullet impaled through an innocent teen.

I watched the mother holding her son in her arms, sending her screams in the musk of lingering blood in the crisp, cold air; but isn't it summer?

A hand began pulling at my sleeve, "Luhan-hyung, we should go."

I snapped my head to the voice and remembered that Zitao and I were going over to Kris's house. 

"Oh, right."

We walked in silence, walking away from the crying mother, the sirens, the colors, and the whispers.

Reaching closer to Kris's apartment, Zitao shakily began to say, "Again. I heard the kid is about our age, how scary."

Between the words, I heard Zitao's voice crack. He's about to cry again, seriously how much can this kid cry?

"Hey, Tao; what did the blanket say to the bed?"

He looked over to me with a tilt of his head and confusion in his eyes, "What?"

Smirking, "'Don't worry man, I got you covered.'"

Disgust flashed through his face as he punched my arm, "Dude! Stop with your lame ing jokes!"

"Oh! I got another one! Wha-"

"Ugggh!"

"Shut up. What do you call a pile of cats?"

"Ugh, what?"

"A meowntian."

And it isn't a surprise when my face made a wondrous contact with the cement of the sidewalk.

 


 

"Hey, fu- what happened to your face, Luhan..." 

Kris opened the door with extra enthusiasm (that's the first) only to judge my face, "Well, thanks head. Blame your favorite little dongsaeng here," I say while passing him in the door way, "Way to go for inviting your guest in, Kris."

I walked to his living room and found the most comfortable couch I ever flopped on. 

"Way to go for your politeness, Luhan," I heard Kris say.

"When is Joonie-ge going to be here?" Tao asked.

"O-oh.. uhm.. Well, he is already here.. He is in my bedroom."

I lifted my face off the couch and saw a blushing Kris and an oblivious Tao.

Tao's face light up, "Oh! I'm gonna go play with him, m'kay!" 

As Tao began to turn Kris grabbed his arm in panic, "You can't!"

"Why not?"

"U-uhm, he is sleeping."

"Why?", Tao whined.

"U-uh-"

"Kris and Joonie already played, and you know how tired Joonie always is, so let's be nice and let Joonie sleep," I say smirking.

Tao looked back at Kris, "Ugh! Gege! He is always sleeping when I'm here! Why type of games do you even play?! It's not fair!"

Seriously, this child is so pure. How can you be fourteen and not know what is? I've known about it since I was six and always got the hints. He's only three years younger, how can he be this innocent?

Kris facepalmed, "Tao, just let Joonie relax, okay?"

Tao pouted for a second before nodding.

"Isn't Sehun coming over?", I ask Kris.

Kris and looked to Tao, "Yeah, he can play with you. Oh, and he is coming over with Jongin as well."

Tao's lightened up and excused himself to go get some food from Kris's kitchen.

Kris looked back me, "Thanks for the save, man."

I chuckled before saying, "No problem, it's fun being around someone like Tao. It's refreshing."

Kris nodded in agreement, "Joonmyun's mother has been nagging at him for his grades, he is practically losing his mind over there."

"Hmn, well, he's been in a tight spot since his grandmother died; it's only natural for his mother to lose her after something like that."

Some loser knocked on the front door, ah yes, you have guessed right if you were to think it is Sehun and Jongin, before Kris could even turn Tao practically flew to the door. Tao slammed the door open to see a wide-eyed Sehun and Jongin.

With a glare, Tao said to them, "Goooood, you two are finally here. Now come play with me!", Tao grabbed Sehun's and Jongin's wrist and lead them to the living room and practically threw them on the floor, and then Tao jumped on them.

"Oh my god, what am I going to do with these idiots," Kris says while dragging the skin of his face down to the point that you can see the flesh underneath his eyes.

"Ewe, stop doing that; you're ugly to begin with," I threw my dirty sock at him.

"Ugh! Dude, don't call me ugly, you disgusting piece of !"

A quiet, sleepy voice called out, "Why are you guys to noisy?"

We all turned towards the voice and saw a cute, little Joonie standing there, rubbing his eyes.

Kris automatically ran up to him and rubbed his back, "Baby, you should get more rest."

Joonmyun looked up to Kris, "Don't call me 'baby', it's so basic."

As Kris was about say something I spoke up, "So, where's our booze? I heard these some house party going on, I think it's at Baekhyun's house, if I remember what ever that basic told me."

Kris looked over at me, finally taking his eyes 'baby', "Dude, we got fourteen year olds with us."

"Like those three haven't drank before," I scoffed, sarcasm dripping off every word.

Kris, Joonmuyn, and I looked over to those dumb s and saw Tao cuddling with them.

"Come on, let them live a little," I say.

Kris glance to Joonmyun, looking for some sort of answer from him. Joonmyun sighed, "Ugh, okay, whatever. But I'm not coming," he glanced to Kris, "I think I'd rather stay home for a second round."

Okay, wow. I really did not want to hear that. It's time to leave..

I turned around abruptly to those three idiots, "Come on, guys! We're going to somewhere!"

Jongin asked,  "Where?"

"It's a surprise! Come on, let's go!"

 


 

So many people, so much life and it's easy to lose yourself.

People were dancing around me, in ecstasy, I raised my hands up and drowned in their energy.

 


 

Ewe, school.

Laying my head on my desk, I heard my teacher, Mr. Yoon, come in; everyone went to their seats.

I raised my head and saw Mr. Yoon and this boy next to him in front of the class.

"Good morning, we have a new student; please introduce yourself."

"U-uhm I'm Minseok.."

"Alright, go sit down in an empty seat."

As the boy was walking to the only empty seat which was like the third row away from the front of the class, I got a good look at him; he is relatively small, his hair looks soft and it is short and is a reddish-brown color. His skin is pale, almost as pale as Sehun's, his eyes reminds me of a cat I once had when I was younger. I miss that cat; what was his name? Biyu?

The rest the day went smoothly, that was until I was paired up with Jongdae for a stupid project. Ugh, why of all people him? Jongdae.. How should I explain him? Jongdae is rather different. He is sassy with good comebacks and like hates everyone, but at the same time he is very caring and tries to do what he can to help others. He has strange hobbies, he is practically addicted to the internet; but anyway he is smart at the very least, well I think. Hopefully, because I don't know what the I am doing.

Jongdae came up to me, "Alright, what are we doing?"

Oh .

Jongdae and I managed to get our together, the project is relatively easy, it's about mental disorders and we got to choose whatever disorder and possible behaviors of whom ever suffers with it. 

"So, what topic should we do?", I asked, "Honestly, I don't really car-"

"Luhan, Jongdae," we looked up to see our teacher staring down at us, "Since Minseok cannot find a partner and is new he is going to join you guys."

Minseok stood behind Mr Yoon, looking down at the floor.

Minseok grabbed a chair and sat awkwardly, fiddling with his fingers.

"Hello Minseok, my name Jongdae! I like anime, manga, role playing, and I happen to be obsessed with the internet and this band called Nell. What's up?"

Wow, Jongdae just went right in.

Minseok flustered as he looked up at Jongdae, "U-uh anime is pretty cool, and Nell has a lot of good music."

Jongdae smiled at him, seemingly pleased. I looked at Minseok and I'm guessing that I should introduce myself, "Hello, my name is Luhan, it's nice meet you."

Minseok smiled at me.

Cute.

"Alright! What disorder should we do?"

I only sat there, thinking about a possible subject.

"Alright! Change of plans. Instead I'm going to assign the topics," Mr. Yoon inturrupted.

He began assigning disorders, he gave our group major depressive disorder.

We all agreed to meet up for the project at the library on Saturday.

 


 

The wall stared down at me, as I stared up at it.

Images began showing itself through the swipes of dried paint, it's somewhat peaceful and monotone, almost like a the waves dying as it reaches to the shore; but there was a crack in the middle of the white ceiling.

It's dark, it's black.

I was heard the negatives of each color, black and white are  the same, both colors are depressing.

Emptiness; isolation 

 


 

In the end we are alone

 


A/N: Hello, I'm sorry it took me so long to finally update this, but I got it up ^^ I worked like five days in this chapter alone, I hope you like it.

Song/Albums of the Day:

La Dispute - King Park

La Dispute - Such Small Hands

La Dispute - Sunday Morning

La Dispute - Ten

sobs