Come to Coachella with Me?

Come to Coachella with Me?

It has been very stressful for Jiyong lately; he’s been drinking quite a lot these past few days. Ever since YG announced that Big Bang will make their big comeback this summer he’s been very busy in the studio making new stuff for the band. ‘He writes good songs so fast, so I think there will be no problem with BIGBANG’s comeback in this summer.’ YG’s words keeps ringing in his ears. With the huge success of their previous album Alive the pressure on Jiyong is far greater than before. Now the music industry, no, the whole world is hyped about what musical direction Big Bang will take with their upcoming album and the anticipation is running high. Jiyong is always very particular in the music he makes; if even one small part of the song is not to his liking he would go over that particular part over and over again until he knows what needs to be fixed. It’s either that or he’ll get rid of the song altogether and start again from scratch. 

His work has also taken a toll on his relationship with KiKo. With him being busy in the studio he hardly has time for her and this resulted in a fight. In fact, this is the first big fight they ever had. There was a lot of screaming and shouting, things were thrown around the house and some tears were shed; it was a complete disaster. He tried to explain to her but she didn’t want to listen to his ‘excuses’ saying that he was selfish and was doing nothing to keep their relationship alive. Jiyong thought that with her being in the same [entertainment] industry she would at least understand how demanding this career can be. But he thought wrong. He knew deep down it was inevitable, their relationship was already on the verge of collapsing even before he was busy with work. The problems he faced with his working life and private life has drained him both mentally and emotionally. 

Pretty soon he started to act like the Grinch and hated everything; he hated the clothes he was wearing, he hated how all the food he tasted was bad and he hated how the rest of the members seem to have a lot of fun without him. But he especially hated the fact that it was spring; he knew that around this time a lot of couples would go out and have dates and this reminded him about his relationship with KiKo. Right now, he doesn’t want to think or want anything to do with her. It even came to the point where they unfollowed each other on Instagram and Twitter. The rest of Big Bang, especially Seungri was worried about the state he was in. During their recent YG Family concert in Japan Seungri asked Jiyong how he was doing lately but he never really answered the question and only replied with a small laugh. All over the world, fans have been voicing their worry for Jiyong and many had sent out messages of support for him. However there was one particular message that caught his eye…

***

‘Omo! What is going on with Jiyong? He sounds so depressed,’

‘‘Gloomy Sunday’, ‘Can’t sleep’, ‘I hate this spring’? He sounds so depressed. Maybe he is just making himself feel that way to set himself in the mood of writing sad love songs,’ I say to comfort myself.

I am rather worried about the state GDragon is in. I’m afraid he might do something stupid and hurt himself and the last thing I want is to see him breaking down in front of me when I can do nothing to help him. I know I sound like I know the guy on a personal level but I don’t. In fact, he doesn’t even know my name let alone know that I even exist. Yes, you’ve guessed right, I’m a fan. A HUGE GDragon fan.

Many people don’t really understand us fans, especially KPop fans. One most common question they throw at us is why we even listen to KPop when we don’t even understand or speak the language. For me (and I’m sure others will agree too), I listen to KPop because the song is very addictive and catchy just like their accompanying music videos; there is that certain charm to them that is different compared to Western artistes and HE-LLO, we live in the 21st century, I can always look up for translations on the internet. I also like it because it makes me feel happy.

Listening to GDragon’s music makes ME happy. He’s my happy virus; no matter what GD songs I listen to I always feel good after I listen to his songs, like he was comforting me after a bad day. He’s been making me happy all this while so shouldn’t I do the same for him?

When I found out a few days later that GDragon and KiKo unfollowed each other on both Instagram and Twitter everything started to click. I may or may not be right about this but it’s no denying that something definitely happened between them and that something might be the reason why GDragon was depressed these past few days. I know I have no right in involving myself in his private life but I’ve got to do something; I can’t stand to let him break down in front of my eyes, or to be specific my computer screen.

Then an idea struck me. It might not work but it’s worth a shot. This might be the craziest thing that I’ll ever do (well not really, but you get the whole point) but I’m going to cheer Jiyong up the best way I know how.

***

Jiyong was in the studio when he received the package. The staff had to knock several times before he realised there was someone at the door because he had the stereo on full blast.

‘Jiyong, there’s a package for you,’

‘A package?’

‘Yea, I guess where the package is from it must be from a fan,’

‘Oh, ok. Just leave it on the table,’

Jiyong was used to receiving fan mails so he didn’t really bother to open it up and besides, he’s not really in the mood to do anything right now. Jiyong was in the studio since this morning and was listening to a bunch of random stuff for ideas. Currently, he’s been stumped and he’s barely making any progress; and his relationship with KiKo played a part in the state he was in. When he looked up at the clock it was already 5pm.

‘I must have dozed off…,’

He decided it was time for him to leave. He packed his things and was about to lock the room when he remembered the package he received earlier. He turned back and grabbed the package on the table; it was smaller compared to other fan-sent gifts he received, about the size of a pencil case. He was about to keep it in his bag and leave but there was a voice inside his heard urging him to open it up. He stared at the package for five whole seconds before deciding to open it. In it were a letter and a pendrive.

He read the letter and smiled to himself. This fan took all the effort to write it in Hangul and although there were some parts not accurately translated he could feel the sincerity in the message.

‘To Mr. GDragon,

I’ve noticed that you’ve been upset lately. I know I might have stepped the line in nosing around your private life so I’d like to apologize in advance if I did. I decided to make you this gift because I couldn’t stand seeing you so upset. So every time you get upset I hope you watch this video and feel happy again.

Sincerely, your fan,

_____________’

Jiyong took out his laptop and inserted the pendrive. He clicked on a file and opened it. In it was a video and he clicked on it.

‘Hello, is this thing on?Ok,’ In the video was a girl and Jiyong couldn’t help but to smile because she looked absolutely clueless on how to work the camera. She was standing way too close in front of the camera. The girl then moved back and Jiyong could finally take a better look at her.

GDragon oppa, I hope that by the end of this video I turn that frown upside down and make you feel happy, like the way you always made me feel,’ She sat herself down and picked up a guitar.

Oppa, you are the best

You are so much better than the rest

You’re one of a kind

TOP got his smexy eyes

Taeyang got his rock-hard abs

Daesung got his angelic voice

Seungri got his amazing humour

But you’ve got something that none of them have

You’ve got swag

You’ve got style

You make all the girls cry…

‘OPPPPAAAAA!’

Whether you’re crooked or got your cray-on

Always listen to this song

And you’ll be able to carry on.

Yeah! Rock on!

Or uh, rap on!

Jiyong couldn’t stop laughing the moment the girl in the video screamed ‘OPPA!’. He enjoyed it so much he watched the video over and over again and each time he couldn’t stop smiling. For the first time in what felt like forever, he was smiling; he was genuinely happy. That very night, Jiyong was finally able to sleep peacefully. Ever since that day, Jiyong couldn’t stop thinking about the girl in the video.

***

Present day…

I can’t believe this is happening to me right now! This feels like a dream come true. A few days ago I would never imagine I’d travel to Los Angeles but here I am on plane leaving to LA!! It all started a few days ago when my mom gave me a letter..

‘What is it?’

‘I don’t know. I was going to open it myself but I didn’t know you were coming home early today,’

‘Oh wow mom, thanks for not invading my privacy,’ I say in a sarcastic tone.

In it was a plane ticket and an invitation to attend Coachella which is one of the biggest music festivals of the year; all the A-listers will be there. In the letter was a note:

‘Thank you for your love and support for our artistes. As a way to thank you, you have been chosen as one of the lucky few to attend Coachella fully sponsored by YG Entertainment!’

I send one fan mail, ONE fan mail and this happens?! If I knew this would happen I would have sent more fan mails to GDragon! So I packed my bags and here I am about to leave to LA!

 ‘Ms. __________?’ I reached LAX and I saw a man holding the card with my name on it.

‘Yes, that’s me,’

‘Come follow me please,’

I follow the man to a huge black sedan and he helped me put my luggage in the car.

‘So where am I going?’ I ask.

‘I am going to send you to the Hilton hotel and check you in. Then you can choose to take a rest or explore the city. I’ll pick you up at 6 and send you to the festival so you must be at the hotel before then,’

‘Oh, ok. Thanks!’

‘And by the way, Mr. Jiyong personally bought you gifts and he request you wear it for the festival,’ the man handed me shopping bags from below the passenger seat.

‘Mr. J-Jiyong?’

A lot of thoughts and questions came into my mind. Did he actually read my letter? Is this gift really from him? Does it mean he’s coming to Coachella too? I didn’t want to think too much about it for fear I might be disappointed. There is no way he’s going to be there. I look into the bag of gifts and gave out a small gasp. In it was a flower crop top, a pair of acid-wash denim shorts together with gladiator sandals and a black floppy fedora; all perfect for Coachella. This has got to be the best day of my life.

When we arrived at the hotel I decided to take a short nap as I was too tired from the jet lag. I went to my room and when I entered my jaw fell to the floor together with my luggage. The room was nothing short of extravagant; the room was huge and was adorned with various golden embellishments. A huge plasma TV is plastered on the wall and at the opposite end was a four-poster bed fit for a princess and the bathroom is just as big as my room! Things couldn’t get any better than this.

After my nap, I took a shower and got myself ready for the festival. I tried on the clothes GDragon bought for me and surprisingly it fits! The clothes really suited my style and I put on some of my own jewelleries to complete the look and I had to admit I look good. It is no question he is Korea’s fashionista. So I went down to the lobby and waited for the driver to pick me up.

I waited and waited but the driver was nowhere to be found.

‘Darn it, I should’ve asked him for his number,’

 It’s already half past six and he’s still not here. I started to get antsy and decided to call the cab when I felt a light tap on my shoulder. I turned around and it was a man wearing a Carmen Sandiego hat and a black sleeveless shirt with denim jeans. I couldn’t really see him clearly with that big hat of his covering half his face but there was something very familiar about him.

‘Are you ___________?’ the man asked with a slight accent.

‘Yes, and you are?’

The man lifted his head and introduced himself.

‘I’m Kwon Jiyong. I’m glad I can finally see you in person,’ he said with a smile.

I let out a gasp but he put his finger to his lips telling me to keep quiet. I dropped down to a whisper and said,

‘Are you really GDragon?’

‘Dae,’ he said.

‘The video you sent me, did a lot to help me pull through the…situations I’ve been in. That video made me really happy and it’s been a long time since anyone made me that happy and I have you to thank for that. I know what I’m doing now is nothing compared to what you did for me so forgive me if I’m unable to thank you enough. Will you come to Coachella with me?’ he held up my hand and pleaded me with his eyes.

After listening to him I eventually found my voice ‘So all this, was your idea all along? Oh, you don’t have to do this. The fact that you’re happy is good enough for me Jiyong,’ it feels weird calling him by his name, let alone have a conversation with him.

‘So you don’t want to come with me,’ he looked a bit dejected.

‘Are you kidding me? Of course I would come to Coachella with you!’

His expression brightened and he held out his hands. I looked up at him and try to let this sink in. All my life I never imagined to meet my idol in person and to have him personally invite me to Coachella is something beyond my wildest imagination, yet here he is with me. I gladly took his hands and off we went.