I'm in love with my best friend

Best Friend

Best friend

Kai's POV

I watched as my best friend began to walk in stage. I felt butterflies in my stomach. I can't help it, Taemin and I have known each other since... as long as I can remember. I can't remember him not being in my life. We were around 12 years old when we met. I remember that we both thought that I was older. I still look older. I'm kind of surprised that Taemin doesn't really seem to mind it either. Sure he uses his "hyung" abilities when he wants me to do something, but other than that he acts younger.

I was really disappointed during the trainee days that Taemin had debuted before me, I honestly wanted to debut with him. Over time I had a picture of us in my room, always. I found myself missing him, so, so much. I trained to be a dancer 2 times harder because of him. Then, I finally debuted. It took a while, but I eventually found him.

He looked... beautiful. His hair was a bright, light blonde, he still looked a good couple years younger than me and he still acted younger too. I remember meeting up with him after his performance. We hugged and caught up with each other, we made arrangements to meet more often too.

I ended up meeting up with him up a lot, at concerts, one another's dorms, spare time, even random meetings on the streets! I'm kind of upset that none of it was caught up on camera though. Even though Taemin was just my best friend at the time, I knew that I was falling for him. If this was taken on a video then maybe it would be easier to be intimate with him. There are some people who get it, like Kyungsoo and Luhan, I've told them before about my feelings. They understand that I have troubles. But nobody really gets it. I love my best friend!

I remember what I told him when he fell during practice, I told him that I would always be there for him, I try best but.. I dunno..

I snapped out of my daydreams to the past when I saw Minho, one of Taemin's band mates and my friend, walk up to another one of Taemin's band mates, Jonghyun. I decided to listen in on what Minho was frantically ranting about.

"I just don't know what to do," I heard Minho's desperate voice, "I have to tell him, I have to, and I want to say it tonight, in front of the crowd." I was very confused until I heard Jonghyun's hushed voice. "Are you ing crazy?!" I stood, shocked by what I had just heard, "you can't tell him, the media would be all over this! I can just see it, 'Choi Minho confesses undying love to Lee Taemin, is this the end of SHINee?'" My mouth dropped, Minho loves Taemin?! He doesn't know what love is. Love finds itself, it doesn't get found by work. Taemin and I found each other due to passion. Minho and Taemin found each other as work partners, there's a huge difference.

Minho looked extremely determined. This isn't good. Either I tell Taemin now or Minho will beat me to it. I won't do it for the whole world to see but I will tell him.

We all heard a ding, signaling us to go on stage. I walked out and immediately drank in the beauty of Lee Taemin. His hair was ginger colored with a feather cut. He was wearing a white SM World t-shirt like the rest of us and had white skinnies on. I saw Minho staring at him intently. Taemin saw him and jumped at the look of his stare. I was standing between them. Taemin made eye contact with me and smiled instantly, causing the butterflies to rush back to my stomach. I couldn't help but smile back as he made his way towards me. It's been some time since I was on stage with him. The last time we spoke was in 2014, it's the middle of 2015 now, long time right? Taemin was about two meters away but yet, it felt like kilometers.. it's been so long. I could hear our hyungs talking in the background but I didn't really care.

"Jongin!" Taemin's angelic voice rang as he jumped on me, literally. He wrapped his lean arms around my neck as he jumped on me. I smiled, "It's good to see you too, Taemin." I chuckled into the crook of his neck as I hugged him back. We broke apart but still held hands, well, more like he held my arm with both of his hands as my hand went behind his back. We were facing the crowd like the rest of SHINee and EXO, whispering back and forth.

I decided to cut to the chase, "Where have you been for the past six months? I haven't been able to see you at all." I whispered, disappointment dripping from my voice. He looked down, clearly upset, but not angry, at me anyway.

"I'm sorry Kai, my hyungs wouldn't let me leave because of schedules." I nodded in understanding, Taemin sounded disappointed about it too. "It's okay I understand."

"Okay."

Our conversation ended like that, it got kinda awkward after that but settled when I got a nervous squeeze from Taemin. He was still really uncomfortable with cameras, he told me a childhood memory about it and told me why. I'm the only person that knows this and I feel honored for it. I gave him a reassuring smile as I rubbed his back. He smiled back and nodded to me, thanking me.

After a little while we started performing, throwing water on each other and down our backs. It was fun, until I saw Minho whisper something in Taemin's ear. Taemin froze and looked at him with an 'are-you-serious-i-am-going-to-slap-you' face. I decided to save Taemin from this situation by pouring water down both of their backs. I pulled Taemin away while he thanked me by, get this, tickling me. We quickly forgot about the previous situation and began a tickle war. I won (KAI'S NOTE/ ^^). I then remembered my mission.

I smiled at Taemin, he smiled back with a smile that reached his gorgeous, sparkling eyes. "Taemin, I need to talk to you, now." I said softly, holding his flawless face in my hands. He looked shocked but nodded either way. I took us under and a little bit behind the huge blinking sign and into the shadows.

"Jongin what are you doing?" Taemin asked with worry in his voice and little bit of something that sounded like.. longing? But not once did he look back out. Welp, time for me to pour my pitiful heart out.

I cupped his beautiful face in my hands and looked at him. "Taemin, you know that we've been best friends for a long, long time, right?" He giggled a little before nodding, making the butterflies in my stomach multiply.

"Anyway, I didn't realize at first but I find myself liking you as more than a friend, but.." I hesitated as he starred at me with his beautiful chocolate brown eyes glistening in the dim light. "I don't know how long I've felt like this but.. it's been a long time. It's just... every time I see you, I feel like... it's hard to explain." I tried explaining that every time I see him I feel like I'm looking at an angel, but it never came out.

"Jongin," Taemin's angelic voice began, "what are you actually trying to say?" I took a deep breath before answering with what could ruin our friendship forever.

"Taemin, first I want to ask you, do you have feeling for Minho? Or any of your other band mates?" I asked quickly, getting off the actual topic.

Taemin stared at me with confusion in his eyes, "No, why should I? They're my best friends, wouldn't it be a little weird to like your best friend?" And just like that my dreams were, shattered. He thinks it's weird to be in love with your best friend.. Of course he does! It is weird! I should just go now! I was about to leave when I made eye contact with Taemin. He had confusion and uncertainty showing in them. Wait- uncertainty? What is he uncertain about?

"Right?" I heard Taemin's worried voice rang in my ears. What do I say? Should I say that it's weird to be in love with your best friend, or that it's not?

"Um, I-I don't think it's weird.." I whispered almost hoping that he didn't hear it. But of course, he did.

"Y... you think?" He asked, the uncertainty still lingering.

"Yes. That's why it's not weird that..." I stopped myself, I don't want to ruin our relationship, what if he doesn't love me back? What if he loves Minho? What if-

"What's not weird?" Taemin whispered as he moved his hands to my shoulders, well, this is new! But.. I like it.. a lot. I moved my hands to his small waist and began to rock from side to side to the slow song that was playing.

"W-well..." I stuttered then I got an idea, "okay, I'm gonna try something okay? Then YOU can tell me if it's weird."

"Okay," with that, I stopped moving and moved my fingers to his eyelids and closed them. He didn't object. I took a quick look around, everyone was focused on our band mates, bouncing and posing for the cameras. I cupped his face and studied his flawless features.

"Ready?" I asked, receiving an anxious nod from him.

I took a deep breath and leaned forward, closer to his face. I looked at his beautiful lips before slightly grazing them with my own. It felt... amazing. The insane butterflies in my stomach multiplied again before exploding at the contact, leaving sparks flying. I pressed our lips together, I felt my knees grow weak. Taemin smiled into the kiss before lacing his arms around my neck and responded. Our lips, I never thought that they would fit so perfectly. It felt like, kissing a feather, his lips were so, so soft.. his touch was no different. I wrapped my arms around his waist again and pulled him closer; we were tightly pressed against each other now, moving our lips together. It felt like a movie, my childhood friend and I, famous, on stage, kissing where no one can see us; I hope. I was about to attempt to open his mouth and tongue him but, I wanted this to be an innocent kiss. Taemin didn't seem to mind, it seemed more like he was melting actually. Does this mean..?

Taemin and I pulled apart due to lack of oxygen. I rested my forehead on Taemin's, "Now, was that weird to you?" I asked him, my breath ghosting over his plump lips. I saw him shiver slightly, "N-no.." he whispered. With new found confidence I told what I've wanted to do for a long, long time.

"Taemin, I think I fell in love with my best friend."

He just smiled his angelic smile and leaned up to me, I met him half way. The kiss was still softer than feathers. Our lips still fitting so perfectly, it was unreal. But these kind of things aren't real right? It's only in those movies right? When Taemin pulled away, just a little, just enough space to speak, he whispered THOSE words. "I guess I've fallen in love with my best friend too.."

I expected him to kiss me again but instead he rested his head on my shoulder and entwined our fingers together. I like this too. I guess this is real.

I know it sounds crazy,

But I fell in love with my best friend...

<3

End

A/N Thank you for reading my TaeKai one shot. God I love these two so much.. in case you were confused on the time of year, it's June 2015. I like till make things that involve the actual bands in the future so that I don't have to worry about the events and I can just make it up ^^ I based this story on the song "Best Friend" by Jason Chen. It's an awesome song, I had it on repeat while writing this ^^

Luci~<333