Friends or Love?

This Infatuation

Sungmin's POV

  I often asked myself, who is more important in life? Your best friends or someone you believe you’re in love with? It has almost been a year, I still haven’t figured out. When I walked into my first period class on the first day of Junior year, I found myself stumbling into the most complicated relationship I'll ever get into. We were so young. We wouldn't have known which was better. To hurt yourself or to hurt your two friends that loved each other.


  I hated this smell; the smell of gas, trash and this city pollution all mixed together, making my nose cringe at the smell. Kyuhyun, the first friend I made after entering Junior year, seems uneffected by the smell. Well he never cared for anything but his games and studies. But he's the one I fell in love with, despite the different personalities we had. He's the cause of all my Junior year drama. And right now, we're at the bus stop waiting for the bus to come so we can go home.

 

  The chilly wind sliced in front of us, pushing me closer to Kyuhyun. Instinctively, I clung onto his arm like a child and mentally hissed at the wind, “What are you trying to make me do?”

 

  Another gust of wind blew in front of my face, making me grimace at the coldness. However, the warm arm next to me doesn’t seem to be affected at all. I glanced up at his face and stared at the changes since the first day I met him. He definitely grew taller, since I had to tiptoe if I wanted to look eye to eye with him. Kyuhyun's hair grew slightly longer because he "had no time to cut it since Starcraft is life." Though, it’s still jet black with no white hair, showing that schoolwork is the least he can care about. His hazelnut brown eyes are always so warm, even on the coldest winter days. Suddenly, he looked down at me and said teasingly,“Why are you staring? Do you still like me or something?”

 

 “Oh God! No! I’m just seeing why you’re not cold!” I retorted back to him, hoping he won’t get the wrong idea. I mean, I still like him, it’s just that a lot happened between his two ex-boyfriends, who happened to be two of my best friends, and him. I just happened to be caught between everything.

 

  "Maybe because you're really warm?" Oh God, he's teasing me again. When will he ever stop because I'll just fall for you more.


  Kyuhyun, Henry (my friend), and I were all in the same Junior class. Kyuhyun, at that time, was dating Ryeowook, our class representative, who's my childhood friend. No one in the class knew that they were dating, Ryeowook never bothered telling me. Kyuhyun always hinted that he was single when he was chatting with Henry and I. It was his fault for making us think he was single. Henry and I fell for him hard. His smirk, his teasing eyes, his cheesiness. He was just so perfect.

 

"Henry-ah, I think I like Kyu," I told Henry one day.

 

"Oh, really, Min-hyung? Um, good luck getting him!" Henry hesitantly said back.

 

"Thanks! I thought you liked him though."

 

"Nah, if hyung likes Kyu, then I'll be glad to let you get him!"

 

Lies. All lies.

 

  Three months into the school year, Kyuhyun broke up with Ryeowook. It was shocking. I didn't even know that those two were dating. Still, I took my chance and confessed to him.

 

"Kyu, I like you. I really like you," I confessed during one of our long messaging sessions.

 

"Oh, I like you too hyung! But... can I ask you for a favor?"

 

"Yes...?" Oh, what did this kid want?

 

"Can you help me with my confession to Henry?"

 

  Oh, what? I didn’t know what to do. I knew those two probably liked each other, but did he just shrugged my confession off? My heart cracked and shattered. I tried not letting my trears fall. But... why did this have to happen to me? Still... they're both my friends.

 

I slowly textd out, "Sure... how do you want me to help?

 

"Help me buy a bouquet of roses and bring them tomorrow! I don't know how to pick, but I know hyung knows besxt with flowers~ ^^"

 

"Um, okay? See you tomorrow."

 

"Thank you~ cya~" and I logged off.

 

  Of course the confession went well, and Henry and Kyuhyun started going out. They were so sickly sweet in front me that I wanted to cry every time they touched each other. Henry didn't feel guilt at all towards me. Was this how being lied to and betrayed felt like?

 

  For some reason, they didn't last long. But I would be lying if I didn't feel happy when Kyuhyun left Henry.


  “Do you still like Henry?” I whispered as another bustling bus passed in front of us, it wasn’t the one we needed.

  “No, I got over him,” He replied, "He didn't cared about my feelings when I wanted to talk to him. He just ignored me because he was 'busy'"

 

"How about..."

 

  Before I could ask about Ryeowook, he continued, “If you’re going to ask about Ryeowook, I don't have feelings toward anymore.”

 

I snuggled closer, hoping to get warmer, “Okay. Another question, who am I to you?”

 

“I thought I’ve told you before, you’re my favorite hyung. I like you a lot,” Kyuhyun signed.

 

Letting out a chuckled, I dragged him onto the bus that finally decided to come.

 

"Of course I remember that. And you're my favorite dongsaeng. Now let's go home."

 

  I innerly admit that I still like him, no matter how he hurted my friends and I before. I don’t even know if this is the right choice. It was like he's a fisherman and I'm a fish. He reels me in, then let's me go. I'm constantly being attracted. But true friends can never come back unlike crushes. There's always more fish in the sea, like the saying go. It’s simply an infatuation if this isn't going anywhere. But I’m still holding onto him, but I try to stay close as a friend until he realizes my feelings. This hurts, but what am I going to do?

 

I'm too infatuated.