Before, During, and After.

In a Different Time.

 

ii. “There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be...”

 

They expected him to observe from a distance. Junho had never been good at following previously set plans.

Junho believe that if you wanted to truly learn something you had to experience it firsthand. He was in place for 72 hours, before he decided it was time to deviate.

His mission was to investigate. To learn as much about the people of this time, their culture, the essence. Take the good and note the bad, and bring the knowledge back to his time.

With the great migration there was a lot that was lost, a lot that was left behind. It took time, effort, and a lot of failed attempts, but they had finally managed to get the right equation, gathered the right energy. Traveling back to recover that what was lost was no longer a possibility, but a reality.

But not all trips were successful, not everyone came back bringing with them something useful.

Junho was determined to be the exception. It may have something to do with having big daddy's shoes to fill, or perhaps it was in the blood to be ambitious. He wasn’t sure wish. Genetics were Taecyeon’s forte.

First order of business was a job. According to Taecyeon’s ramblings, it was the easiest way to get integrated with society.

He was out scouting his surroundings when he noticed the Help Wanted sign. He took a quick look at the outside of the place, a small bar in the middle of downtown, the sign BUCK’s flashing with bright neon lights hung over the door and Junho figure this would be as good a place as ever. Inside, he had met Nichkhun, who after a few quick questions gave him a bucket and mop, his version of an interview, and told him to get to work.

Easy enough.

He was a quick learner, and Nichkhun a patient boss. Junho cleaned, while Nichkhun talked, and soon his responsibilities were laid out for him. Nichkhun apologize, the work was definitely more than the pay, but Junho assure him it was fine.

Tending the bar at nights gave him a reason to communicate and observe strangers without it seemed weird, and the cleaning made him feel useful, not to mention the small room Nichkhun allowed him to use in the second floor was more than he need it for his short stay. He doubted the trip would last longer than a few months, there wasn’t much to learn here, and he would be lucky if he came across anything substantial.

 

It was three weeks after he got settled, that the first interesting thing happened.

BUCK’s was well known for it’s open mic night, and the night’s crowd seemed a little more lively the usual. He shared the bar with Chansung, the boy wasn’t much for conversation, but laughed a lot, listened well, and Junho found him somewhat amusing.

“What’s going on tonight?” He asked, reaching around Chansung for a mixer and some ice. One part vodka, pineapple juice, and a splash of grenadine. Learning the different drinks had been the easy part of the job, and Junho found he quite enjoy the task.

“One of the regulars is taking the mic.” Chansung told him, watching as Junho pour the mix on a glass, rim cover with red crystallized sugar, garnishing it with a slice of pineapple.

“You’ve gotten really good at doing that.”

“There’s nothing to it.” Junho said. Wondering what Taecyeon would think if he saw him now. Junho would probably never see the end of that teasing.

It was busy and he enjoyed. Between customers and casual conversation the night flew by. It wasn’t until the constant crowd thin down and people began to go up on stage that he got a chance to relax.

These were his favorite times. When everyone around him was too involved in their own world to notice Junho’s curious eyes taking everything in.

It was a world of difference from what he was used to. His life back home could easily compare to those ant colonies they had here on earth. Everyone had a purpose, a reason for existing, interaction amongst each other was limited unless on the same profession. People, like his parents, were paired up because their genes would produce a good offspring (population growth had to be controlled) Or as in the case of his mother and the lover she acquire, because they each could benefit from the other.

He was sent here to a different time in order to gather information on things that may have been left behind, but it occurred to Junho that the things they were missing back in his time, were things he couldn’t just bottle up and take back home with him.

 “Can I get some water please?”

The man in front of him now was young, not much older than himself, Junho concluded. He watched the current performance with interest, only looking away for the time that it took to thank Junho for the drink.

“Some of these people are really good.”  

He added causally. He wasn’t sure if the young man was paying attention, he seemed completely absorb, but he nods once, turning to smile shyly at Junho.

“They are aren’t they? Makes me somewhat nervous to go up there.”

Junho was about to ask if he was planning to perform as well when he notice Nichkhun approach them, casually draping an arm around the young man’s shoulder.

“Like you have a reason to feel nervous.” Every single one of Nichkhun’s action spoke of ease, the easy tone, the way he so casually leaned closer, his teasing smile reminding Junho of a mischievous child.

“I thought you weren’t going to make it.” It was Chansung the one that spoke now, carrying two buckets from the back room which he dumped on the ice dispenser. “Junho here was curious about you.”

The attention was on Junho now, as the man, MinJun, turn to look at him.

“Was he now?”

His smile was flirtatious, his look somewhat interested, and Junho could feel the heat rushing to his cheeks.

“Chansung told me someone talented was taking the stage tonight.” 

“Well Chansung likes to exaggerate things.” He said in matter-of-fact tone, but Junho could see he liked the compliment, the man was confident, but disguised it well with humility that didn’t seem forced, but honest. “Kim MinJun by the way, is nice to meet you.”

Junho didn’t get a chance to return the greeting. They hear applause, announcing the stage had ended, and MinJun stood up. He downed the glass of water, returning the empty glass to Junho.

“I hope to not disappoint.” The smile was shy, the words meant for Junho, whose gazed followed him until he disappear amongst the crowd.  He reemerged a few minutes later on stage, looking grand under the shining spotlight. The crowd hush, all eyes on him and Junho wonder what kind of person had the power to command attention in such a way.

MinJun's greeting was brief, the song he would perform one Junho had never heard off, still, just like everyone else seemed to be doing, Junho stood and listen. 

 

 

They met a second time by coincidence and perhaps a little intervention from Nichkhun. Though Junho had no concrete evidence to back up his claim.

It was his first time visiting Nichkhun’s home, nothing too over the top or extravagant, but there was a beauty in the simplicity. A perfect match to Nichkhun himself.

“When was the last time you had a home cooked meal?” Khun called out from the kitchen, and Junho consider the question.

“A while.”

Junho could hear Nichkhun moving around in the kitchen, taking out plates, opening the fridge, all the while Junho let his curiosity get the best of him. He moved around the house, noting the little details that had been added to the place. Back in his own home there wasn’t anything that gave signs of ownership to the place. If anyone were to visit his so call home, would they find anything that marked the place as his? The answered was easy, no they would not.

He busied himself examining a collection of figurines Nichkhun kept on a shelf. Some of them were characters Junho could recognize, others resemble animals dressed in funny clothes, which Junho thought was completely irrational. Animals didn’t wear clothing. It just wasn’t practical.

He was about to ask Nichkhun about them when he heard the sound of the front door. He back away from the shelf, Khun never mentioned living with another person, and from the looks of the place Junho had assumed he lived alone.  Apparently he had been wrong.

MinJun seen as surprised as Junho to have found him there. He closed the door behind him, eyes studying Junho before finally smiling.

“Hey”

Junho responded with a coy smile, feeling self-conscious. The way MinJun looked at him was different then he was used to. He couldn’t read the look in his eyes, and it unsettle him.

"You didn't tell me we had company." He called out to Khun, moving comfortably around the apartment, setting his jacket over the armrest of a couch and finally leaning on the kitchen counter.

He gave Khun a look that imply there was a lot more to the accusation, but Nichkhun simply smiled. The line between good intention and mischievous was often blurry when it came to him, but Junho figure it was best not to intrude, offering Nichkhun his help in the kitchen instead.

 

Dinner turned out to be a simple affair. MinJun joined them, freshly shower and dressed in baggy pants that settled right at his hipbones. His shirt, white and with a low V-neck, gave a generous peak at prominent collarbones and a chest that seemed a shade lighter than MinJun’s tan complexion. He was handsome, not in the conventional way like Nichkhun whose looks had stricken Junho as soft and perfectly proportion, but in a way that caught your attention. It surely caught his.

 His eyes found Junho’s at that moment, mouth full from a spoon full of rice he had just eaten seconds ago. Normal people would look away when caught staring, but Junho held his gaze, captivated by the dark irises that stare back at him.

MinJun swallow, the corner of his lip curving into an almost imperceptible smile, before looking away, attention back on his food and on the conversation Nichkhun had just been having with himself. 

Their gazes met once more, in the living room of the small apartment where they had gathered to drink a beer (juice in Junho’s case).

There was that prickly feeling in the back of Junho’s neck, as he sat in the middle of the living room, holding a game controller and trying to pay attention to the instructions Nichkhun was giving on the racing game they were getting ready to play. Unable to take it any longer, he turned towards were MinJun sat quietly sipping on his beer, and caught the older man's gaze fixed on him, his eyes studying Junho as if he was some piece of art in an exhibition at a museum.

Junho cleared his throat, feeling somewhat uncomfortable.

That night he discovered that video games were a lot more complicated than he had expected. He thought it would be simple enough, he was wrong.

“We don’t have this where I come from!” He burst out, Nichkhun bent on the floor, arms holding his stomach while he laughed at Junho’s 10th defeat in a row. He considered kicking him. It was doable, he was at arms reached and conveniently on the floor.

“No wonder you left, kid. Who could live in a place without video games?” MinJun sat his empty bottle on the table, the second one that night, and walked over to the pair on the floor. He reached over Junho, his arms brushing Junho’s shoulder as he took the controller from his hand. Junho moved to the side to give him some room, but MinJun still managed to sit impossibly closed.

Nichkhun, whose laughed had now subsided, was back on his feet.

“You think you can beat me Kim?”

“Want to wager on it Buck?”

The two men exchange a glance, and Junho thought of animals in the wild getting ready to defend their pride. One game turned into best out 3 and Junho settled back on the couch, his glass of juice now empty, and just watched, laughing at the way MinJun and Khun’s body moved in perfect synchronization with their hands. Whenever one made a sharp turn their body would follow along, as if turning the controller along with their whole body would somehow help them take that sharp turn faster.

Nichkhun won, 3-2, and a very reluctant MinJun was forced to take care of the dishes that night.

 

*

Junho was invited to Nichkhun’s home once more, this time to spend the night.

A blizzard had hit, covering the streets with tons of snow that had been pushed to the sides of the road, now muddy and turned to ice. He walked the short distance from his flat on the top floor of the bar, to Nichkhun’s apartment. The heater had malfunctioned and due to the weather getting someone to fix it had turned out to be a difficult task.

Eventually Nichkhun offered his home to Junho, who had declined at first, but after spending a night in the freezing room and waking up shaking and with a runny nose, he didn’t see himself with much of a choice.

Once at the building he ran the buzzer, hugging himself and bouncing on his feet, a fail attempt at keeping warm. Once inside Nichkhun greeted him with a warm blanket and a steaming cup of tea. Junho immediately added Khun to the very small list of people that he truly liked. 

Once settled, and warm, his eyes wander to the door, he knew belonged to MinJun’s room. It was closed, but he could hear a faint sound coming from inside. Curious, he got up from the couch, setting the blanket and the empty mug down, and cautiously approached the door.

It was faint, but he could hear MinJun singing in a low voice, there was music, a piano probably, as well as some sounds that Junho couldn’t name.

“Don’t mind him.”

Nichkhun’s voice came from behind him, handing Junho the change of clothes he had gone to find.

“He spends hours working on his music, I’ve gotten used to it by now.” He walked back to the couch, taking the TV controller and flipping through the channels. Junho joined him, setting the clothes to the side, curiosity edging him to ask.

“He makes his own music?”

“Uh Hu.” Nichkhun answered, as if it was the most normal thing in the world, and perhaps for him it was, but to Junho, for whom music as a form of entertainment was something completely foreign and unheard of, it was fascinating.

Where he came from, music, as well as art and any other type of what would be considered self-expression or artistic, was considered impractical and non-beneficial, therefore it wasn’t encouraged or pursuit. The population wasn’t really expose to it either, which was why Junho had kept the present his dad had given him so long ago, hidden.

“He’s training to become a singer.” Nichkhun added, noticing Junho was still trying to listen attentively to the sound coming from the closed door.

“Why train?” Junho asked now, looking at Nichkhun. “I heard him sing and he’s really good. Why waste the time?”

Nichkhun study Junho for a moment, unsure if the question was a joke, but Junho looked on, expression serious and Nichkhun cracked a smiled.

“Did you live under a rock or something Junho?”

“Why would I do that?”

Junho didn’t get the joke, and Nichkhun sighed, shaking his head.

He told Junho that MinJun’s state with him was temporary, he had moved into town to pursue a singing career, something that was not as easy as it sounded, but according to Nichkhun if anyone was going to make it that was definitely MinJun.

He came out of his room a while later. Nichkhun, engrossed in the show he was watching, didn’t bother looking up, but Junho’s ear perk up at the sound of the door, looking over his shoulder as the man, with messy hair and wearing a black sweater over sweats, came to stand behind the sofa where he and Nichkhun sat.

“Yah!” He said, immediately after hitting Khun in the back of the bed. “How is the kid supposed to sleep if you are still here watching your soap operas?”

“You are not tired right Junho?” Nichkhun asked.

He wasn’t, but instead of answering the question he turned to MinJun, irritated by the last comment the man had made.

“I’m not a kid.” He said, tone flat, eyes finding MinJun’s.

He gave Junho a once over, studying Junho’s face at a much closer proximity, his smile humorless, expression considerably darker, and in a voice that was barely a hush he said simply, “I’ve notice.”

Soon after, he hit Khun in the head once more, the previous moment already forgotten and walked away before the other could retaliate. Or Junho had the chance to wonder what the look on MinJun's face had meant.

 

Junho woke feeling considerably rested and bundled up in a thick blanket which he brought closer to his body, taking in the warmth. He blinked, rubbing the sleep off his eyes, his brain not fully functional having a hard time registering his surroundings.

He heard footsteps and he sat up, remembering he had spent the night in Nichkhun's sofa, which explained why he was staring at a sleepy MinJun, adjusting his jacket, and looking at him apologetically.

“I didn’t meant to wake you.” He whispered, and Junho glanced at the time on the TV box, how late was it that MinJun was already ready to leave? 6:15 a.m. The man was definitely out his mind.

“Where are you going this early?” He didn’t care if he wasn’t being polite, it was too early to bother about technicalities.

“I got to be at the agency by 7.” He shrugged, it wasn’t that big a deal. “Go back to sleep.” He smiled at Junho now, who didn’t have to be told twice, letting his head fall back in the pillow, drifting back to sleep only seconds after.

 

It was passed 9pm and MinJun still wasn't back.

He asked Nichkhun, who told him it wasn't uncommon for MinJun to stay out late. Sometimes he stay at the company, others he met his friends to work on music.  Junho asked if he worked, and Khun, smiling to himself at the interest Junho was showing on his flat mate, told him that MinJun picked up a few freelancing jobs here and there. The company took care of living expenses, so it was ok.

The bar was closed for the night due to the heater still been broken, and the weather was only getting worse by the second. 

Junho was unsure of what to do with himself.  With work he was able to easily forget about his original reason for being there, and he got to interact with all kinds of people, which could easily justify his stay, but with nothing to keep himself occupied with, it was hard to find a good reason to stay.

He would need to move on soon, a different town perhaps, a metropolis preferably.  Somewhere, where he could observe a bigger, different crowd, maybe even learn something of value that he could take back home with him.

He fell asleep with these thoughts bouncing around in his head. The last time he looked, the digital clock on the tv stand read 11:45. MinJun still wasn't home.

 

He was tending the bar alone a few nights later, when he saw MinJun again.

He walked in, looking even more exhausted than the last time Junho had seen him.

"Khunie around?" He took a seat at the counter, his duffel bag falling to the floor, his head hitting the counter top.

"He stepped out for a bit." MinJun grunted, but didn't look up. "You won't mind if I just wait here." Not a question, but a statement, eyes already closed.

Min, who had been tending to the crowd occupying the pool tables, placed an empty tray next to where MinJun's head was resting.  He looked up, murder in his eyes, but his gazed soften as soon as he saw her. He laced an arm around her waist, drawing her closer.

Junho busied himself with the other customers, his eyes wandering back to the two every so often.  MinJun said something that had Min laughing hysterically, her short hair bouncing around her perfectly round face.

"They are cute, aren't they?"

The voice came from behind him, Chansung returning from his break, eyes fixed on the two that were still chatting excitedly.  Junho wonder if Min didn't have anything productive to do, tend a table, sell a drink, something.

"Are they dating?" He tried to make his tone casual, not wanting to show any type of interest, but Chansung wasn't fooled.

"Poor Min doesn't stand a chance." He grabbed an apron from under the counter, tying it around his waist. "She pitches straight, MinJun only likes to hit those curve balls." He tapped Junho’s rear as he said the last part, leaving the boy dumbfounded as he walked passed him.

“Khun sent this.” He dropped a set of keys on the counter in front of MinJun, then to Min he gave a tray and a clean rag. “Don’t you have work to do?”

“Who die and made you boss?” She hissed, but took the rag anyway, reluctantly detaching herself from MinJun.  “Friday, my place. Don’t forget.”

“Surprise party again? Does she not realize she makes it obvious by being so insistent?” Chansung asked, eyes following Min as she walked away.

“You’ll think if she’ll know better after last year’s fiasco…”

“Or Khun’s birthday bar-b-q disaster…”

“Or that New Year’s party…”

They knew each other well, shared memories together, and Junho listened, feeling somewhat left out. It would be nice to stick around long enough to be able to take part in those conversations, know the inside story behind the jokes. Too bad he was planning on leaving soon.

“Hey kid” MinJun looked to him, and Junho huffed. He hated being called that, MinJun knew it did, and he took some sadistic pleasure in irritating Junho.

“Asked your boss for Friday night off.”

“What about me?! If he gets off then I’ll probably have to work.” Chansung complained, but Minjun shss him.

“Are you two the only employees he has?” He was looking at Junho again, the corner of his lip curve slyly upwards. “Besides is my birthday, and I would like Junho to be there.”

MinJun was already walking away when Chansung turned to Junho, a knowing smile on his lips. “Do you pitch curve balls Junho?”

He still didn't get the analogy.

 

*

MinJun’s “surprise” party found Junho climbing the stairs to the roof of Min’s apartment.

He wasn’t sure how, or when exactly, but he had become the unofficial bartender for the night. He didn’t drink, so he figured the only way to get away from people forcing alcohol down his throat was to get them too drunk to be functional.

He didn’t count on MinJun coming into the kitchen, eyes glaze over, words a bit stutter, and a smile that was impossibly wide. He leaned close, too close, and Junho could smell the vodka in his breath.

“I didn’t ask you to come so you could make drinks.” MinJun took his hand, lacing their fingers together, and dragged Junho out of the kitchen and passed the crowd of party guest. He let himself be taken, part because he had been running out of supplies, there was only so much you could do with gray goose and pineapple juice, and part because he liked the feeling of MinJun’s hand on his, the way the older male smiled at him mischievously, as if there was some joke that only he and Junho were part of.

Minjun pushed the heavy iron doors at the top of the stairs, looking down at Junho with a smile. “Come on.”

MinJun used a cinder block that had been placed on the side to hold the door opened. He took Junho’s hand again, hissing as the cold air hit his face, and walked towards the railings, turning around to look at Junho who eyed him like he was crazy, finally resting his back against the cold metal, hiding his face on the scarf he had grabbed on his way out.

“Tell me about yourself.”

“What do you want to know?” Normally he would avoid this type of questions, but something about the night, about the way MinJun was looking at him, about the sky seeming to be impossibly clear despite the icy weather, there was just something different in the air.

“Last name.”

“Lee” Junho leaned against the railing as well, facing the city, his hands holding on to the metal bar, liking the icy cold feel against his already frozen fingers.

“Where are you from?”

“Far.” His shoulder brush against MinJun’s, turning his head to look at the man’s profile.

“Vague answered.”

“Irrelevant question.”

“Ok, next.” Personal space forgotten, Minjun moved even closer, hot breath ghosting Junho’s cheek. “Any significant other back home?”

He should have thought of his mother, whom he had not seen in years, but at the moment only one person came to mind.

“Just a good friend.” Junho looked up at the dark sky, pretending not to notice MinJun’s look of relief poorly disguised behind a smile. The clear night skies always reminded him of a glass window, the stars the little droplets of water that had stuck to the glass after a rainy day.

“Pretty, isn’t?” MinJun follow Junho’s gaze, eyes searching the sky, his hand very subtly finding Junho’s, his warm fingers lacing around Junho’s chill ones.

“Most of what you see are not stars.” Junho held his breath for a second, MinJun’s touch was impossibly warm and it made it difficult to think, let alone talk. “Most of what you see are man-made objects floating around the orbit of the planet.”

He could’ve gone on with the subject, had intended to, but MinJun’s free hand was moving slowly up his arm, a touch that should have been impossible to feel due to the heavy jacket he wore, but that still send goose bumps down his spine. He tried to move away, but his knees wouldn’t cooperate. MinJun’s satin fingers brushing along his jaw bone, the edge of his lower lip, finally cupping Junho’s face, his own leaning closer. They were inches apart, breathing the same air, noses touching, cold long forgotten. Just an inch, an inch closer and their lips would meet, and perhaps Junho would then understand what about them compels him to forget what he knew was right, and simply do what excited him. Which at the moment was Minjun’s scent, he smelled of sweat and alcohol, of the perfumes that had stuck to his jacket after hugging every other female on the party, but there was something else there. Something primal and intoxicating and he just ache to get a taste of it.

Junho leaned closer, not really thinking, his nose touching MinJun’s neck, receiving a content sigh from the older male. His hand fell to Junho’s hip, holding tight, pulling closer, the other hand on Junho’s hair, fingers brushing through messy curls. He tilted Junho’s head, observing the younger’s lips for a while, brushing the bottom lip with his thumb, leaning just another inch, that same lip into his mouth. Biting, tugging, and enjoying the mewling sound that Junho responded with.

“” He couldn’t take it anymore, Junho’s jacket, pushing him harder against the railing, the breath right out of his lungs with the first real touch of their lips. The kiss lasted a while, yet not enough and they broke apart, panting and out of breath, and craving for more. MinJun’s fingers still tangled in Junho’s hair, Junho’s hand MinJun’s jacket, holding on for dear life, refusing to let go.

It was an unfamiliar sensation, strange feelings and strange emotions, making everything fuzzy, warm, and hard to understand, making Junho hyper sensitive of every little touch, every little kiss MinJun gave him, on his cheek, on his nose, his jaw, the corner of his lip.

Finally sated, or perhaps the cold finally getting to him, Minjun rested his forehead on Junho’s shoulder, chuckling to himself, hands still wrapped around Junho.

“Definitely the best present tonight.”

Junho didn’t know what to say, so he didn’t say anything. At certain moments in life, like this one, words were simply superfluous.

 

*

What happened with MinJun violated at least half the rules Junho was supposed to follow, but even as he kept trying to talk himself into believing it was all part of his research on humanity, he wasn’t convincing anyone. Not even himself.

 Open mic night came around once more, along with the crowd. It was busier than usual, Nichkhun grabbing an apron and getting behind the bar to help.

He didn’t see MinJun, but he heard him, voice loud and clear as he took the stage that night. The song was different this time, a ballad that had the crowd hushing, listening, swaying their bodies along to the sweet melody. MinJun’s voice reminded him of something, he couldn’t quite pinpoint what, but it tug at his brain, and at his heart.

They met after closing, MinJun leaning against the brick wall outside the bar when Junho came out, Khun, Channie and Min following close behind.

Min huffed, and Chansung laughed, draping an arm around her shoulder, waving goodbye and leading Min away.

“I won’t wait up” Nichkhun added, smiling subjectively at the pair before making his own way home.

Junho had never brought anyone over, so having Minjun walked into his flat with him was somewhat strange. He step aside while the other step in, looking around curiously. There wasn’t much to see, Junho really only slept in the place. Most of his time was spent working, going around town, studying the city, the people. He took pictures of anything he found interesting, and kept them all pin to a wall in the apartment.

It was in front of this wall that Minjun stood now, glancing at the different pictures, smiling at a few, laughing at others.

“When do you have time to take these?” He asked, picking a particular one Junho had taken of an elderly couple at the grocery store. “And how come you own a camera, but not a cell phone?”  

“I was planning on taking them back home eventually.” He said the words without really thinking. MinJun visually tensing.

“So when are you leaving?” He asked, tone casual, no longer finding the pictures interesting. He was looking through the stash of books Junho kept on the coffee table, picking one up, examining the cover then setting it down once more.

“I don’t know…” He felt nervous, unsettled, his eyes following every single one of MinJun’s movements, what he touched, what he noticed. “Depending on how long it takes to complete-“

He caught himself before finishing the sentence. What had he been about to say?

“What do you do Junho?” MinJun asked, taking a seat on the couch, bouncing a bit on his , testing it out before settling in.

“I work at Khun’s bar…”

“Sure you do, but why?”

“What makes you think there’s something else?”

“I don’t know, you are gorgeous, smart, interesting. I heartily doubt someone like you would settle for being a bartender for the rest of his life.”

The staring battle that had ensued came to an end, MinJun coming out victorious, and Junho officially embarrassed.

“Why do you care?”

“Because I like you. I really like you and I don’t even know you, yet I get the feeling I only get to borrow you for a short while, not as long as I would like to have to be able to get to know you better.” 

“I’m not leaving yet.” The words came as a hushed whisper, and MinJun smiled, right hand tapping his knee twice. Junho strut forward, settling on the offered knee, fingers softly touching MinJun’s shoulder.  

He wasn’t unfamiliar with physical attraction, it was something he had studied, something he had observed, but never something he had experienced.

He knew this was something he couldn’t take back home with him. That the type of relationship wouldn’t be beneficial or practical in any way. There was absolutely nothing he was learning from this except that he like the way MinJun’s hand felt as they caress his cheek. He absolutely loved the way he took his time before every kissed, taking in every inch of Junho’s face, as if committing every feature to memory. But what he loved the most was the way he lost control, how Minjun’s lips would devour his, leaving him out of breath and out of mind.

 

*

“What about your parents?”

They picked a small deli downtown, close to MinJun’s agency, right across from one of Junho’s favorite parks. A spot he had taken to visit often, especially now that spring had finally settled in. It was a beautiful thing to witness the season’s change, especially since Minjun insisted on forcing him to come out and “see the world” as he put it.

“My mom’s quite the character.”

“Overprotective and demanding?” MinJun offered, but Junho shook his head, trying to come up with the correct words to properly describe.

“Superficial and opportunistic.”

“What about daddy?” 

“Left when I was five.” At this MinJun’s facial expression became somber, and Junho could already see the apology forming on his lips.

“But he was an amazing man.” He added quickly.

MinJun was interested in everything that was Junho. He was used to this type of questions, and he often found that telling partial truths was a lot easier than coming up with elaborate lies. Especially when it came to MinJun. He could read Junho like an open book, something that Junho wasn’t sure whether to be happy, or concern about. 

“They told us my dad had an accident at work, and didn’t make it.” He took a sip of his drink, using the chance to consider his words, or whether or not he wanted to continue with the subject.

“I think, that he ran away with his assistant. I think he found something in one of his trips that was worth him leaving for.”

“And you are not resentful at all?”

“I was.” He admitted. “Then I decided to become an archeologist, piss off my mother, and leave her because I couldn’t stand her. Like father, like son.”

 

They walk back to MinJun’s agency was a quiet one, the previous conversation, leaving them both deep in thought. It had reminded Junho of a lot of things. The main one being that time was quickly slipping away.

He glanced at Minjun from the corner of his eye, noticing the man was silently watching him as well. Junho felt the warmth of MinJun’s hand as it held his, and leaned closer.

It had been a while, but he thought of that song he had listened to growing up. The song his dad had gifted him with. Up until now whenever he thought of the song he remember his dad, now he felt that if he ever listen to it again, it would be MinJun the one he would think of.  He wondered if MinJun would miss him when he was gone. If little things would suddenly remind him of Junho.

“What is that?” Minjun suddenly asked.

“What?”

“The song you’re humming. The melody sounds familiar”

“Does it?” He was about to ask when they heard familiar voices calling out to them. Junho recognize Wooyoung and JinWoon, the two trained alongside MinJun at the agency, and Junho let go of MinJun’s hand, greeting the two friends.

His time with MinJun had come to an end, he got ready to say his goodbye, but MinJun got to him before he could take another step, ignoring the hollering and teasing from the boys, he pulled Junho closer and kissed him. Short and sweet, but it was more than enough to wipe all previous thoughts from Junho’s mind.  

 

*

MinJun woke up to an empty bed, one cold December night.

Junho came into his life without rhythm or reason, and it was only fitting that he would leave it in the same manner.

He still remember the first time he laid eyes on the boy with the small eyes. It was almost a year to the date, much longer than MinJun could have ever hoped for. He knew sleep wouldn’t come. Not anytime soon. So instead he switched to the opposite side of the bed, the side where Junho would normally sleep in, and bury his head in the still lukewarm pillow, inhaling the familiar scent. Wondering how long he had until it faded away.

 

iii. “No, I can't close my eyes without you in my dreams.”

 

MinJun slowly walked to the center of the stage, standing behind the microphone stand and looking down into the expectant faces of the crowd.

It had been a while since he had visit Buck’s. He normally took to bigger stages now. Bigger crowds that filled up stadiums and arenas. That screamed his name at the top of their lungs and swoon if he took a moment to send a charming smile in their direction.

But Buck’s was home. Buck’s has been the place that saw him at his lowest, back when he had to wake at the crack of dawn and returned home late into the night. Buck’s is where his friends where, Nichkhun, Chansung, Min, the people that rooted for him since before there was any real hope that he would make it.

Buck’s is where he had met the only person that he ever truly love. Even if he never got a chance to tell him.

So it was only fitting, that he celebrated his 3 year anniversary as an artist by taking the stage that had given him more than he could had ever hope for.

He step closer to the mic, held it in his hands, and took a deep breath.

“This song I want to share with you guys to night, it was written with a special someone in mind. Their presence in my life was a short one, but I think that I was meant to meet that person, to fall in love even. I don’t know where that person is, or where to even look to find them, but I do hope that if they hear this song, they know that every once in a while, I’m suddenly reminded…

 

Don’t be afraid of the dark anymore

Because as long as you close your eyes

There will definitely be me watching over you like a bright moon

So even if we are apart

Because you keep on illuminating the sky of my heart

Don’t forget

I am always by your side.

 

Dr. Lee had stumble upon the bar by accident. It was the last day before he was meant to return back to his own time, his journey was reaching the one year mark and he need it to return soon . He didn’t want to go back, but there was a little boy back home waiting anxiously to see him.

“I’m sorry to bother you sir but…”

It was the young man that he had seen on stage when he first arrived. He was looking at him curiously, carefully studying his features.

“How can I help you boy?” he asked, but the boy shook his head, apparently having decided that he had made a mistake.

“I must be seeing things.” He whisper to himself, then to the Dr. he said “You just remind me a lot of someone I know, someone I have not seeing in a very long time.” 

“The person you compose the song for?” Dr. Lee questioned and the boy nodded.

“He’s someone I care a lot for. I’m Kim MinJun by the way.”

“Dr. Lee.” He extended his hand, the boy taking it in a firm grip. “It is a beautiful song, makes me think of my little boy back home.”

“You have a kid?”

“Yes.” Dr. Lee smiled contently, thinking of the little boy with the smiling eyes. “Junho, his only 5. I’ll be seeing him again tomorrow after a long while.”

MinJun seemed momentarily shock, he looked at the man again, wishing for better lighting so he could see his face better, but no… it wasn’t possible.

“Where are you from?”

“Far.” The man smiled, that familiar eye smile, and something inside of MinJun stir.

“That is vague response.”

“It was an irrelevant question.” The man said with a bit of humor in his tone.

MinJun could feel his heart accelerate. Coincidence. He kept telling himself.

“When you go home, give this song to your boy. Tell him to listen to it whenever he misses you… I’m sure it would make him very happy.”

The man smile, and MinJun was sure he probably thought he was strange, but eventually he simply said...

“I will.”

 

*

Taecyeon had been against it at first. What Junho wanted to do was both risky and illegal.

But it had been five years since his best friend had return home, a completely different person then the cold, rigid Junho that he had remember. Something had happened to him there, something he didn’t talk about, regardless of how much Taecyeon had insisted.

He had reported the trip as unsuccessful, he had nothing to show for it, but Taecyeon was not fool.

“Is it worth it?” Taecyeon asked Junho as he type away at his computer, looking from one monitor to the other. Finding the right time, the right date, the right frequency. 

Everything had to be done just right. It had too looked as an accident, a failure in the perfect system. Sending someone back in time was a tricky affair, and accidents did tent to happened every once in a while.  

“You don’t think it is.”

“Hell no I don’t think it is.” Taecyeon burst out. “But if that is what you want then who am I to hold you back from what makes you happy?”

Junho smiled, touch by his friend’s concern. What made him happy? There was only one person that had ever made him feel truly happy. He didn’t know it then, not until he had been force to leave, and had return home. Comparing his dull life to the time he spent with MinJun. And after years of avoiding it, Junho finally decided that it was time to pay him a visit… a little more permanent one this time around.