Quiet

Silence Tao

As a class president, i’m responsible for creating class affinity and cohesion through learning activities; also i need to make sure for creating a nice surrounding and atmosphere so they’ll affected positively in the term of receiving the lessons.

It isn’t easy to be a class president for 2 years in a row, i always get elected because nobody wants it. As this year we’re at the last grade, i really want to retire as one. I want and need to concentrate to the big final, not to mention the university entrance, they scared the hell out me, and i don’t have anytime to spend watching these kids anymore.

But, still at the end of the day, i got the highest vote, and here i am, held the position once again. I couldn’t get any happier.

I’m quite relieved my new classmates mostly think the same the way i do. They started to keep their focus in study and making the learning atmosphere pretty stable. But as much as i’m satisfied enough, i still have Tao in class.

Tao is a popular boy along with Sehun and Kai, they’re the late Exo (A high end society at school) left because as i remembered, the other members mostly are my seniors and had graduated last year. But from the 3 of them, Tao is the loudest one. The other two boys seem pretty quiet especially Sehun.

There is no day have spent without tao’s voice and his weird behavior irritated me. I’ve been dealing with him since we are a freshman 2 years ago. So unfortunate for me,  i’ve been trap in the same class ever since.

He always cracks a joke and making the class laugh. Usually, i tend to ignore him. I think his joke can make the class a little bit bright, so i won’t care as long as he keeps in silent during the study.

--------------

One day, the result of the first big final trial is out. I saw my score, and found out that it was a big disappointment for me. I’ve been studying nonstop this whole week just to get a C for this? I can’t believe my self. And this surely affected my day since then.

I started to study like an insane. I cut down my sleep time, and been studying all night. I didn’t eat properly as well because my fear making me loses my appetite. I keep that for the next 2 weeks, and they began affecting my mood.

“Hey, Sooji, what happened to you lately?” Ara, my chair mate speaks after the first period over.

I looked up to her face and shook my head lightly and mouthing No to her. I’m too tired just to having a conversation.

“You could tell me anything if you had any problem, soo. You look a bit pale” she said once again.

“Ara, i’m fine okay! Stop it!” i said blurted out. I feel like a bad person after seeing my bestfriends’ shocking face

“Ara, i’m really sorry. I didn’t mean to yell at you. It’s just i didn’t want to talk about this right now. I’m sorry”

“It’s okay soo. I really wish you didn’t get too hard to yourself, okay?”

I nodded slowly and gave her a small smile before i heard the loud voice of Tao for the Nth times today. I didn’t know what happened to him, but he seemed to have a very good mood, he just couldn’t shut up the whole period.

Since my mood always on and off, i couldn’t bear to give him a killer glanced as a sign for him to shut the up. But whenever i did that, he still didn’t stop.

As the last period was about to over, all of sudden, Tao laughed out loud. All of the eyes are on him, making him shutting his mouth.

“Tao, what are you doing? I’ve been watching you from the first period. And you bugged me! You bugged all of us with the annoying voice of yours!” I snapped right away. I didn’t know who’s possessed me, i just screamed and crying at the same time.

“If you didn’t want to study because of your scores are already bad, then its fine. But don’t make the whole class be as bad as you. You’re affected negatively to the whole class, don’t you know that?!!” Without seeing his face, i went back to my desk and sit in the same position.

The whole class was in silent before the bell rang as the last period finally over. I kept my head down to hide my crying face but i still could see people exited the class

“Sooji, are you alright?” Ara voice could be heard next to me as she tapped my shoulder.

Still in the same bending position i nodded. Ara my hair and comforting me. After 10 minutes crying, the class was finally empty, just the two of us left.

I lifted my head and finally poured the burden i’ve been dealing with for the last couple of weeks.

“You know, sooji. Got a C at the trial didn’t mean you’ll failed at the exam. As far as i know, the trials are indeed supposedly harder than the real test. Just like what i told you earlier. You shouldn’t be too hard to yourself.” Ara sigh lightly

“But, still. I feel such a disappointment for my family. I want to prove they’re wrong to think that i won’t get accepted in SNU. I wanted to show that i could get accepted just like my brothers did. As the only daughter, my family seems to not acknowledge my ability.”

“Yes, they are your family. But you don’t have to listen to theirs all the time. Just do your best without thinking of their critics. That is when you’ll get the easiness to achieve yours succeed”

“Beside, you’re the only who know your ability” Ara added.

Without saying anything, i listened to Aras’. She was right most of the time.

“And you can’t force yourself. Your body has a limit. Once it’s on the edge, it’ll exploded just like it did before”

“I feel bad for Tao. What should i do?” i asked Ara, realized that i was such a jerk to him earlier.

“I don’t know. I think you know what to do better than i do” Ara said.

“Okay, Sooji. I need to go to my part-time job. Just make sure you’ll eat a good food for a good mind, get a rest for this weekend not to think about the test or anything, and try to walk home, it’ll help you figure out things” Ara ended up after tapped my shoulder.

My eyes followed Ara’s tall figure walking and saw that Sehun has been waiting for her at the front door. He smiled and nodded slightly to me before they walk hand in hand. Yes, they’ve been a couple for 2 years. They both fit each other well, but Sehun is quite lucky to get this girl who has a maturity in her 17 years old body.

------

As the tomorrow has come, i walked in to the class feeling a bit light after the conversation i had with Ara. I saw Ara who is reading a book together with her boyfriend. After seeing me, Sehun got up from the seat beside Ara which is mine, and her hair lightly before walking toward his desk.

“Good morning, Sooji. Feel better?” She said while taking a sip of her banana milk.

“I guess” i smiled to her.

For almost two weeks, i just realized that Tao’s voice wasn’t heard at all, so i narrowed my glanced and saw him reading his book. I was glad he finally able to control himself and begin to study. I rolled my eyes back to the blackboard in front of me.

 After the second period over and it’s time for lunch break, i was waiting for the people to leave the class so i have a lone time just to read my current-favorite book. As i was about to check the class, i saw Tao still in his desk. He’s usually being the first to exit the room to grab lunch, so seeing him in class at this hour was a bit weird for me.

He was tidy up his desk and after that he was sleeping on it. I was kinda worry about him. I know him for almost 3 years, and i never saw him so quiet like these past days. The dark circles under his eyes are seemed worsen.

I walked toward him and touch his arm lightly. I was so shocked to know that he’s running a fever. Tao lifted his head as he felt someone touched him.

“Are you alright, Tao?” I asked after took a seat in front of him.

“Huh? I’m alright, sooji.” He said and laughs goofily.

“But, you have a fever. You need to take a rest at the healthy room. I’ll tell the next teacher you wouldn’t attend it”

“No, it’s okay. I’m just feel a bit tired”

“Did you have your lunch?”

Tao shook his head slowly, “I’ll grab it later”

“You know, we could share my sandwich.” I said as i tear the sandwich in to two part.

“No, no. You don’t have to”

“Listen, Tao. I feel so bad for the other day. I feel like a bad person and i didn’t like myself for that. Please, just ask anything if you need something, okay?”

Tao’s observing my face without saying anything and that makes me feel worse.

“I was wrong to snap at you like that. And i admit even you are so noisy; your jokes could make this class brighter, so please don’t be too quiet”

Out of sudden, his lips rose a smile, he’s smiling at me and made my heart flutter from that.

“Sooji, i really like you and to found out you were actually irritated by me and yelled at me made me sad. But then i realized that i was so childish, i couldn’t make you noticing me if i keep doing stupid things, so i started to study so that i could impress you with my grades.”

I was so surprised after hearing his words, i never thought Tao this way, but i guess i was wrong about him all these years. He is an innocent 18 years boy who has a pure heart. He is a clown of the class because he loves to make people happy and laugh.

After a long silence moment between us, i began to speak, “Do.. do you like me?” i mumbling when i asked.

He nodded firmly and smiles.

As we began to talk about many things we actually have in common, we shared and finished the chicken sandwich i made this morning. His eagle eyes stared at me. I once got afraid of those eyes, but somehow today i find them so charming and cute.