My Invisible Guardian

My Invisible Guardian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning; One Long One Shot

~~

Kim Bo Kyung - Don't Think You're Alone

I am an ordinary girl who go by the name Lee Heesoo. Okay, maybe not that ordinary. What if I told you I had an imaginary friend that is practically a stalker? Freaky, right? I had practically grown up with this stalker of mine; the stalker that was my imaginary friend, and the cause of me being an outcast.

Anyways he grew up with me and seemingly I was the only one who could see him. At first my parents believed I was going through a phrase where kids used to make an imaginary friend to fill up the empty space of not having any siblings. But that was not the case.

This guy, or this shadow or whatever you would like to call it popped out of nowhere and introduced itself as; Lee Byunghun. He took that one thing that resembled me; my surname, Lee. I was 5 back then when I first met him face to face and I had no idea what he was talking about when he told me he was my guardian. How was I supposed to know what a guardian was?

Since I was 5 years old and was taught not to talk to strangers I ignored him. But it was hard to ignore a talkative guy like him, he would always ask whether I would like to play hide and seek with him or with dolls. I thought it was weird at first when he asked to play dolls with me because he was a guy, guys don`t play with dolls.

Even so I declined his offer by squealing loudly or whining or even pushing his body away. Because I couldn`t only see him, I could touch him too and hear him of course. Even if Byunghun could be a pain in the sometimes I still believed that he was nice. Well, he had to be since he was kind enough to sleep on the floor when I was young so he could scare away the ‘monsters’ beneath my bed. He would place himself before the closet during the nights because I was afraid ‘monsters’ would pop out of it. He would also fight the scary shadows in my room during the nights, when apparently the thing causing the shadows was the huge old tree located outside of my house. So in second thoughts he could actually be called my guardian but only to a certain degree.

My parents thought I was cute at first thinking I was finally letting my fantasy free and had now a ‘friend’ with me everywhere I went, but as the days went by and I grew older my parents began worrying.

Never had they experienced a 12 year old having an imaginary friend and sometimes they told me to knock it off when I was only having a normal conversation with Byunghun, or more like a discussion. Because he mainly discussed back and forth me, we never talked. Sometimes I even told him to shut up, but that`s not the main point.

The main point was that my parents believed it was for my own good if I received help so I did. I went to a psychiatrist and told him about this imaginary friend of mine. I even introduced them to one another and the psychiatrist played along at first but as the time went by and I began visiting him often, he was freaking out because the ‘procedure’ he was using on me wasn`t working so he decided to quit the case, and I didn`t blame him. I would have done the same.

So now after 7 years I am still stuck with my invisible friend or guardian as he would like to call it. I had no clue why he was my guardian and what he was protecting me from, and it was annoying me. But he goes to college with me and lives with me at my dorm.

Just like all my other school years this year was no different. I was an outcast because a few of the students had seen me speaking to the air and even discussing with a bench, and the rumors spread like wildfire and here I was stuck with my ‘friend’.

“Who are you telling the story to?” I rolled my eyes hearing his voice in the background, while I was sitting on my bed inside my dorm. He was munching on an apple and I scrunched my face.

“That`s none of your business” I gave him a quick look before turning my gaze away.

“Oh, Heesoo, you couldn`t be more wrong. You know everything you do is my business” He chuckled leaning on the bed before heading over to the chair placed beside my desk where I would do my homework.

“Which is why you`re a pain in the ” I mumbled lowly.

“I heard that” He hollered back making me sigh.

--

A new day had begun which only meant that I had to spend another day with this guy.

Usually when people would wake up in the morning they would think ‘a new day, new opportunities’ unfortunately for me that sayings wasn`t the first thing that went through my head. It was ‘a new day with this moron’

“Good morning” He chirped the moment I opened my eyes seeing him heaving over me and I closed my eyes shut groaning in response. I hated the fact that he would always as in always wake up at the same time as me, no matter what day it was. Even during the weekends he would wake up at the exact same time as me. One day I was too curious wondering if he even slept during the night because he always managed to wake up when I did and he told me, that our minds were connected so when I woke up, his mind would automatically wake him up too.

“Hey, don`t be grumpy. A new day means new opportunities” I scoffed thinking him mentioning that was too ironic.

I opened my eyes and got out of bed ignoring him completely, because I knew eventually I had to talk to him anyways but for now I wasn’t in the mood to response to any of his acts. “Hey, hello. I am right here!” He waved his hand before my face and even jumped in front of me, but I walked right past him and grabbed the bath kit taking it with me out of the dorm heading over to the shared bathroom.

Byunghun decided to keep it shut while walking beside me and I walked with my head low seeing the other students just walking right through Byunghun as if he didn`t existed. Since I was the only one who could see him, I was the only one who could feel and hear him too. So for them his existence wasn`t real which I thought was pretty odd.

When I was standing before the bathroom door I noticed that it was occupied. One bath was shared between four dorms and it was fine because that meant 4 students sharing the same bath. Each student had one dorm no one shared, it wasn`t allowed at this college. They had been having trouble with students sharing dorms which was why they made a new rule everyone had to follow. If only they knew that I was actually sharing my dorm with my…imaginary friend.

I waited patiently and the door to the bathroom was opened and I noticed the pretty looking girl called; Kim Hana coming out. I envied her for her looks and Byunghun wasn`t helping much with my self-esteem when I heard him whistle as she passed by. “Damn, that girl is fine” I heard him drooling over her like wolves would do when looking at their prey.

I rolled my eyes and entered the bathroom closing the door shut. With a relieved sigh I opened my bath kit and pulled out the toothbrush and put some toothpaste on it. While brushing my teeth I saw Byunghun walking right through the door and he was smirking big time while doing so. “I believe you forgot that I can walk through doors and walls” I rolled my eyes at his confident and spit and rinsed right after.

“Turn around” I told while my hands were undoing the buttons on my pants. He looked at me horrified and turned around swiftly as I placed myself on the toilet doing my business.

“Geez, girl. Where are your manners? You`re not ladylike if you`re like that” He pointed out with his kind of disappointed voice.

“You sound like you have never seen me act like this. You`re around me all day every day you should be used to it by now” I pointed out the fact.

“That isn`t a good enough reason to act trashy” He scoffed and I flushed while putting on my pants. I walked over to the sink and grabbed my bath kit and unlocked the door.

“Trashy or not, get used to it” I was about head out the bathroom when I was met with another boy who went in my class. My eyes turned round and my face turned pale.

“Hi” I gave him a weak smile and he looked at me disgusted while pushing through.

“Freak” he murmured and closed the door shut while I was walking down the hall.

“Busted” Byunghun sang walking side by side with me with his hands behind his back.

“Shut. Up” I muttered with gritted teeth. I opened the door to my room and out of angriness slammed the door shut on Byunghun’s face. But who was I kidding? He couldn’t feel any of that. He only felt when he wanted to; he had some kind of control of his feeling sensors as he had told me earlier. But when it came to me he had zero control, which meant whatever I did, he felt me, both emotionally and physically. It sounded creepy at first, but I am used to it by now. I am not surprised with the information he gives me anymore. I am crazy I have accepted that by now.

As I was ready for my first class I walked down the hallway once again and down the stairs and of course Byunghun was right beside me. This time he was whistling loudly with his arms tucked behind his head, no worries filling his mind. He had no clue he was actually bugging the hell out of me with his whistling.

I gave him a side glance and he only grinned back only to continue what he did earlier. A groan left my lips. I tried restraining myself as I noticed now that I was surrounded by other students. Usually in dramas you see students backing away when the popular handsome guy arrives at school. Here it was totally different. They were making way for the freak, as they were afraid I could do some black magic on them, and turn them into frogs. As absurd at that sounded it was actually true, they really believed that.

My speed increased as I noticed the door to the classroom I was going to have my class at. It wasn’t actually a classroom; more like an auditorium where at least 200 students sat either alone or with someone listening to the teacher speak.

I let out a satisfied sigh when I was only two steps away from walking through the door. During classes no one else than Byunghun could bother me, and I was used to him so he didn’t really bug me anymore. Well, sometimes he did, but I kept my cool and kept my focus on the notes I took.

From the corner of my eyes I saw Jonghyun and Daniel approaching me. Both of them had a smirk on their mouth that I literally wanted to rip off, but I knew better than that, which was why I didn’t do anything to defend myself.

My way was suddenly blocked by two guys that I hated with my whole heart. It was just my luck. I kept looking at my shoes closing my eyes just praying for them to vanish in the thin air.

“I didn’t know witches attended school” Jonghyun smirked towards Daniel who only chuckled in response. “Where’s your broom, witch?” He continued pushing my shoulder harshly so I stumbled backwards. I felt Byunghun’s arm in the back as he held me steady. Thank God no one noticed the awkward position I was standing in, as it was no way I could have actually ignored that fall.

I quickly straightened my back and looked up at the boys who glared back at me. “I don’t want any trouble. I just want to attend my class” I tried, desperation visible in my voice and Daniel scoffed at me.

“What are you assuming that we’re here to cause trouble? We have better things to do than that” Daniel pointed out with a mocking grin only to step forward and glare me down with his now red with fury eyes. “I suggest you turn around and go back to where you came from” He spoke between gritted teeth, literally just a few inches away from my face. I felt so small and fragile. The other students just walked past us as if nothing was happening.

It seemed like Daniel’s words triggered something inside of Byunghun. His hands balled into fists and I noticed him taking a step forward to Daniel, his fist rose in the air. I knew he would probably throw a punch at his face. Like I mentioned earlier if Byunghyun wanted to feel Daniel’s face he could. I prayed on the inside that Byunghun would just get a grip and act like nothing was happening.

“Let’s go. I am bored” Jonghyun suddenly spoke in the back and Daniel stepped away nodding his head to his friend. As Daniel and Jonghyun walked past me I still had my stiff posture. I was too frightened to move for a while. But the moment someone bumped their shoulders against mine I came back to reality.

“Move, freak” I heard the boy mutter and I ignored his sayings. I was used to all of the trash talking by now.

“Hey, are you okay?” Byunghyun palmed my shoulders and took in my features. He stared at my face for a long time and I only blinked in response. I couldn’t possibly reply back with words as students were passing me by. So I gently shook his hands off me, trying to be discrete as possible, and nodded my head quickly so he knew I was okay.

I passed him by like the wind and found an empty seat in the way back. Well, I didn’t actually find it. That was my regular place as the others had practically marked that place as mine. They had carved ‘Witch and Freak’ around my regular place and now I was so used to it I couldn’t even see the words anymore.

“Why do you always sit here, huh?” Byunghun whispered to me settling himself beside me. No one dared sitting next to me, which was good news to him. He always had a spot next to me all the time.

I quietly dug through my bag and pulled out my books so I could take notes when I felt Byunghun’s hand top mine. I stiffened for a second seeing how he leaned in and stared at me for a long time. “Why do you torment yourself like this? Why do you put up with all of this? Get up, let’s find a new place to sit” He grabbed onto my wrist and pulled it up. My eyes rounded as I tried yanking my wrist out of his embrace but he was being stubborn.

“Let. Go” I spoke between gritted teeth. Some of the students turned around and pointed in my direction seeing how I was holding my arm in the air like a dork. Byunghun began sensing the eyes as well and immediately let go of my hand which landed pretty hard on my desk. I winced for a second only to quickly find my composure and clear my throat awkwardly.

“Idiot” I heard the girl who sat two rows in front of me and I shrunk in my place. If Byunghun had just let go of my hand when I told him to this wouldn’t have happened. As the class had begun I tore a piece of paper out of my notebook and scribbled on it. I felt Byunghun trying to get a peek from over my shoulder.

“What you doing there?” I heard his voice in the background and how he shuffled in his seat getting impatient. When I was done scribbling I pushed the piece of paper over to him. He leaned over the desk and stared at it for some time. He snapped his face towards me and frowned. I had my eyes on the teacher the whole time acting like he wasn’t there.

“Mind my own business, huh?” Byunghun read out the note loud and I pressed my lips together in response and acted like I was locking it with my hand. I was telling him without having to use words that he basically had to keep quiet. I heard him sigh and lean back on his seat. “Wake me up when class is over” He threw his hoodie over his head and closed his eyes with crossed arms. I did a victory dance in my head and concentrated in class.

When the class was finally over I packed my belongings quietly and tried tiptoeing away from the sleeping Byunghun. As I was outside of the classroom I was grinning like a fool believing that I had managed to escape from him for the first time. But my happiness seemed to appear a bit too early. “Where do you think you’re headed…” I heard his steps behind me and soon he was right beside me. “Without me”

My fingers simply curled around the straps of my backpack as my nostrils flared in annoyance. I really believed I had been able to flee from him. He chuckled at my reaction and shoved his hands inside his pockets and followed me to the café nearby.

Whenever my classes were over I used to visit the café right next to our campus. It was nice and cozy there, and on top of that a cute boy worked there too. I stepped inside the place letting my nose inhale the sweet scent of coffee mixed with cake. I always liked it here. This place was so cozy; on top of that I got the privacy I needed.

As I was heading towards my regular place I noticed the bullies from my school. They were receiving their orders from prince charming who worked at the café. I quickly flipped my hair in front of my face to cover it as much as possible. I knew it was a weird attempt to walk past them unnoticed, and it was confirmed the moment they called my nickname.

“Witch is here” I heard Jonghyun holler and I passed them by like the wind and sat down at a booth in the way back beside the window. My heart raced against my chest. I was just hoping they would let me be, just this one time. I sigh of relief escaped my lips as Daniel looked my way and shook his head towards his friend. It seemed like they weren’t in the mood to bother me after all. As soon as they walked out of the shop my tense body relaxed instantly.

“I’ll get them good next time” Byunghun spoke with his firm voice, he was standing by the booth I was sitting in. I didn’t say anything in return and began pulling out my books from my bag. In a matter of seconds I felt a shadow above me and the moment I looked up I was met with two worried eyes.

“Heesoo” It was prince charming that worried for me. Whenever I thought about our close bond I couldn’t help but melt inside. He was so nice and caring, but of course he would be. He didn’t know about Byunghun as I had kept it as a secret fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter