Do I need a reason to be bad?

Northern Lights

    Jiho's body rattles so hard in the cold air he swears he hears his bones clinking as he walks down the almost empty street. It's already spring but everyone agrees that it feels like winter, and it doesn’t help that it’s 7 in the morning and there’s a pair of cute college girls walking behind him but Jiho is too tired to turn the charm on like he usually does with them. He keeps on, his focus set dead ahead so he wouldn’t bother thinking about them. The school building loomed ahead and he hated the thought of going back there but its not like he could do anything about it, besides he had his space and nobody messed with him if they didn’t want to get ed up; but that was all just pointless rumors that were going around. Jiho never really did any of the things that the rumors said he did, he followed the rules for the most part but thanks to his apparently intimidating face the other kids were scared of him.

 

If he had to be honest he was pretty thankful for that, it meant that he was left alone from people he didn’t want to bother talking to, and he got his space when he needed it. The teachers left him alone for the most part which was fine with him, dealing with their constant nagging would have been a drag and he probably wouldn’t be able to take it; but thanks to the constant, almost nagging, voice in the back of his thoughts he always managed to turn in all his work on time.

 

         By the time Jiho reaches his school, its almost time for the bell to ring and his pace had quickened to fast walk just so he'd make it on time, though, he could tell by the glances he was getting and the hushed voices around him that he just looked angry.

         Jiho made it to his seat a few moments before the bell sounded to start class, and no one dare talk to him just because his face was, to them, contorted into a physical representation of a bad attitude.

    His first class goes on with a drag, the second class being slightly better, but only because Park Kyung, the only other Korean kid in his class and one of Jiho’s only friends, decided to finally show up, using the excuse that his alarm didn’t go off. But Jiho knew that was bull, mainly due to the fact that they lived right near Denki Gai and there was nothing better than going into their favorite stores during a Wednesday morning when it wouldn’t dare be crowded since everyone is at work and school.    

 

    But that aside, Jiho is pleased when the empty seat in front of him is filled. He leans forward to tap the boy on the shoulder, but instead pleasantly surprised when Kyung slide a small paper bag on to his desk. There aren’t any words exchanged but Jiho knows what’s inside. He takes the bag and puts it in his backpack, a small contented smile gracing his lips. He whispers a small thank you to Kyung before his attention is taken to the door rattling open.

 

    Nakamura-sensei sighs, stopping his lesson yet again due to a student arriving late, yet this time, he seems to be a bit more lenient in his scolding, accepting the excuses the student gives rather than refuting them, and Jiho takes the second to realize he’d never seen the tall skinny boy in his class previously. The boy ran a hand through his overgrown bangs, pushing the hair out of his face to reveal an excellent set of features.

 

Now, Jiho didn't pay much attention to the painfully awkward introduction due to the fact that he was a little stunned there was someone that handsome in that school and that he sorta didn't care since he didn't plan on talking to the beautiful stranger one bit. He did pay enough attention to catch that his name was Jaehyo and he mostly spoke Korean rather than japanese and that made Jiho at ease about him and a bit nervous at the same time because woah, he speaks Korean too, but too bad it's about as good as a sixth graders Korean and Jiho doesn’t do well around people who are substantially more beautiful than himself, even if they do cover their beauty with long unkempt hair.

 

Jiho's day was otherwise uneventful. He and the beautiful stranger, who Jiho had deemed dangerous, kept their distance and other than the introduction of a new personality, Jiho's life was rather unchanged. During lunch, he sat in the least crowded place he could find, which, that day, had been under the stairwell leading to the roof, and Jihoon and Kyung found him, proceeding to eat their lunch with him.

 

Jiho found himself wandering off about halfway through lunch. Jihoon and Kyung were in a heated discussion about fruit and their nutritional value and Jiho was apathetic to say the least. He found himself wandering into the boys bathroom and almost immediately regretting the decision. He found himself practically tip-toeing around the new student, who looked like he wasn't having the best of days. It took Jiho a second, but he did swallow his pride and decide to talk to him.

 

"So how's the school so far?" Jiho asks in Korean. Jaehyo looks surprised for a moment but then goes back to his solemn expression.

 

"Better than my old school... But still ." Jaehyo responds in a voice akin to a growl that still managed to sound uninterested. Jiho assumes Jaehyo isn't the talkative type and was about to leave him alone when he gets a bright idea. It was more of a test than anything, to see if Jaehyo was as hardened as he let on.

 

Jiho pulls out a pack of cigarettes, only one is missing from it since he stole the pack from his brother a month or two back and it was more for the purpose of looking cool than anything, only actually smoking when he feels stressed. He holds the pack out to Jaehyo, a silent offer, and was honestly surprised when Jaehyo takes one. Jiho watches him in silence as he pull out a lighter and lit the cigarette right there. All the while, Jaehyo gave Jiho a daring look as if to say 'don't test me'. Jiho got the message. They sat in silence as Jaehyo smokes, each of them just watching the other in some kind of fight for dominance like feral dogs, snarling at their stand-off. Jiho was about to let Jaehyo win when Jaehyo takes the cigarette out of his mouth after one long drag and hands it to Jiho. The satisfied look on his face pissed Jiho off, especially because afterwards, Jaehyo just walks off, leaving Jiho in the smoke filled bathroom.

 

    Several minutes pass where Jiho just doesn’t know how to feel, something between shock and anger are where his feelings land. He doesn’t get a chance to decide before a teacher’s walking in and yelling at him for smoking in the bathroom and he’s being dragged to the teachers office.