Lunch

It's Fact

         Mark's new classmates were a rowdy bunch, but supposedly they had the best grade point average in the entire school. It was hard to believe and just as Suzy was trying stress this point to Mark a paper airplane flew between. Mark wasn't sure how he felt about this bunch of kids. He was used to rowdy, that's just how teens were and he couldn't deny being just like them in some ways, but he still expected more from the supposed 'smart class'.

 

         A girl with short hair was at the front of the classroom, doodling on the blackboard. She wasn't wearing the girl's uniform and for a moment Mark had mistaken her for a boy, but when she turned to look at the boy at her side he realized quickly that he had been wrong. She spoke, her voice managing to make itself heard over the other students and Mark's brows rose at how deep it was. The boy at her side laughed at her words and nodded. Mark glanced over at the wall to his right lined by windows. A girl with long, dark hair sat at the edge beside one of the open windows. A breeze came in, forcing the girls hair to dance in a frenzy about her face, she didn't move or seemed to be bothered by it.

 

         A glance at the clock above the blackboard told Mark that class would begin soon. Suzy tapped the corner of his desk and he met her gaze.

 

         “What?” he asked after she said nothing. She opened but closed it as soon as the bell chimed. The students around the room rushed about, almost knocking each other over to get to their assigned seats.

 

         Mark continued to look her way, their gaze remaining locked through the chaos of their classmates. When the door slammed shut Mark looked beyond Suzy and at the teacher. The class immediately became quiet and the students were looking at their textbooks as if they had been doing so the entire time before class started.

 

         Suzy rose from her seat and started the class greeting. The rest of the students followed, except Mark who was leaning back in his seat, too lazy to join in. The teacher noticed, Mark could tell, but she didn't say anything. In fact, she ignored his presence for the rest of class, not even bothering to introduce him – the new student – to his classmates.

 

 

 

 

 

         Mark lowered himself to the grass, claiming a spot in the shade, under the tallest tree on campus. It was lunch time and everyone looked especially happy. At one table was a group of boys, loudly talking and joking amongst themselves. At the table closest to Mark were students eating while studying.

 

         He stopped his observations of the crowd and opened his backpack. From within he pulled out the lunch his dad packed for him. It was his father's way of apology for moving yet again. He always made sure to pack a lunch. Mark couldn't recall a time when it was forgotten.

 

         As he was about to begin eating the class rep lowered herself in front of him. She was bent at the knees relying on her flat-footing to keep her from toppling over. All he had to do was push her gently and she would probably fall over.

 

         “What?” Mark asked, raising a brow.

 

         “Can I eat with you?” Suzy responded. She looked over her shoulder and Mark followed her gaze. All the tables were full, but there was probably plenty of room inside the cafeteria.

 

         “Don't you have friends you can sit with?”

 

         Suzy looked back at him and then at the ground. Suddenly Mark felt bad, something rare for him. He ran a hand through his hair and held a Tupperware container out to Suzy, offering some of his food to her as an apology for not thinking before he spoke. She slowly looked up at the container, but shook her head in protest. With a shrug of his shoulders Mark withdrew his offer.

 

         Suzy stood and began to turn away. Not wanting to feel like a complete , with a roll of his eyes Mark grabbed onto her wrist and pulled her back.

 

         He ended up regretting this move.

 

         Suzy was surprised by Mark's action and tripped on a tree root as he pulled her back to where she had been sitting. She squeezed her eyes shut as she felt herself falling back.

 

         “Oh, !” Mark cursed, realizing too late what he had caused. Suzy landed in his lap, knocking his open food container into the grass, Suzy couldn't dare to open her eyes as the scent of Mark's body spray enveloped her. She expected him to push her off his lap immediately, but when he was still for far too long Suzy managed to peek open her eyes. She turned her head slightly and met his gaze.

 

         “Are you okay?” he asked. Suzy slowly began to sit up, moving off his lap in the process. She had tried to catch herself when falling and scraped her hand on the ground, but she didn't say anything even as her palm pulsated in pain.

 

         “Yeah. Sorry.”

 

         “It's my fault. I shouldn't have done that.”

 

         “It's okay.” Suzy looked away from Mark. She could feel that her cheeks were red, they radiated with warmth. Her eyes caught sight of Mark's lunch which had been scattered across the grass. She watched as Mark picked up the pieces of food and set them back in their container. Her gaze lifted to his face, expecting to see irritation or anger at having lost his meal, but he didn't seem fazed in the least.

 

         Suzy remembered her own lunch and looked around for the lunchbox she had dropped when she had fallen. It was only an arm's length away and with a simple stretch towards it she had it in her grasp. She ped the bag and pulled out her own meal. She handed one of the container out to Mark who had finished picking up his ruined food.

 

         “Here,” Suzy said. Mark took the container without hesitation and Suzy couldn't help but notice he was smiling.