chapter three

Twenty

short chapter because i don't even know anymore. apologies for crappy writing. the story has been switched to 3rd pov with a focus on byunghun's character. trigger warning: mentions of blood. (more notes at the end of the chapter)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Byunghun’s eyes flashed opened when he felt a sudden coldness around his neck. He couldn’t move. Partly because he was too scared to budge, but mostly because the grip was so tight he could barely breathe. He was surrounded by darkness; even with his eyes wide open, everything was pitch-black. Just when Byunghun thought he was about to pass out, the coldness was gone, immediately replaced by a sharp, piercing pain on his left shoulder. As it is a natural instinct to protect oneself, Byunghun quickly used all his force to shove away whatever or whoever was creating the pain. And that’s when he suddenly remembered-

 

“,” he muttered and immediately got out of bed to turn on the lights, ignoring the pain on his shoulder.

 

Everything was a mess. He was too tired, mentally and emotionally, after returning from his mother’s house the night before that when he got home, he carried the still unconscious Chanhee into his room and crawled to bed without thinking. His room was a huge mess. Everything was all over the place: books ripped up, papers scattered on the floor, picture frames knocked over, wooden floors scratched, and Chanhee… Chanhee looked like a mess himself. There was too much he needed to find out and comprehend, but he didn’t know where to begin or if it was even right to begin. He rushed over to Chanhee’s side. Chanhee, his best friend whom Byunghun wasn’t even sure if that title still applied, looked pale and weak, crouching against the wall. Byunghun wondered if he had shoved too hard on accident. Byunghun wondered if he hurt Chanhee. Byunghun wondered how he was going to find a solution to this. Byunghun wondered, but nothing came to mind. What a giant mess this all is.

 

“Chanhee…” Byunghun called out, hoping for some kind of reaction, but there was none.

 

He reached out his hand, and just when his fingers were a few centimeters away from Chanhee’s face, Chanhee looked up and bit Byunghun’s hand. To his own surprise, Byunghun didn’t pull away.

 

“Are you...hungry?” was the only thing he came up with.

 

That was stupid. Byunghun had no idea what he was saying or doing. Nothing was making sense. Nothing had made sense since his best friend’s disappearance ten years ago, and nothing was making any more sense now that his best friend reappeared ten years later. He truly hoped this was for the best for both of them. How could it not be when Byunghun has got his best friend back? How could it not be when the person he misses the most is back by his side? How could it not be when his best friend is alive and not gone forever? How could it not be…but how could it be?

 

Maybe Byunghun has watched too many science fiction movies read all kinds of fantasy novels as a kid, and believed all sorts of strange happenings because of his mother’s career as a scientist. But as he recalls, in cases like these, the best thing for him to do was to say something that would get Chanhee’s attention. Well, he certainly wished whatever he would say would get Chanhee’s attention because Chanhee hasn’t let go of Byunghun’s hand and the pain was starting to get unbearable.

 

“Chanhee, it’s me...Byunghun. Do you remember?”

 

That was not the best question to ask. Byunghun suddenly realized that if Chanhee didn’t react to his question, does it mean he doesn’t remember? What if Chanhee really doesn’t remember who Byunghun was? Can Chanhee even talk? What if…

 

He let go.

 

Chanhee let go of Byunghun’s hand. A shocked expression suddenly painted across both of their faces at the same time, over different reasons however. Chanhee slowly reached across and grabbed onto Byunghun’s left shoulder, causing the other boy the wince in great pain.

 

“You’re bleeding.”

 

Byunghun had forgotten.

 

He had forgotten about his bleeding shoulder. He had forgotten just how long ten years really was. He had forgotten how time changes people. He had forgotten how much he missed Chanhee’s voice, even though it was a lot deeper and raspier sounding now.

Everything was still too much for Byunghun to take in. From accidentally falling into his mother’s science lab, to finding Chanhee, and now trying to making sense of everything, it was all too confusing. Maybe it was for Chanhee too, but Byunghun couldn’t tell. Byunghun realized he was no longer able to read Chanhee’s expression the way they he always could when they were still kids. He used to always be able to tell when Chanhee was upset, angry, anxious, happy, hurt, and so on. Byunghun once could read his best friend’s expression. He wondered if Chanhee could read his.

 

“Where am I?”

 

Byunghun didn’t answer. Perhaps Byunghun was still too shocked or in pain that he completely zoned out. Perhaps Byunghun was too taken aback by Chanhee’s voice that he hadn’t heard in ten whole years. Perhaps Byunghun was just too scared to do or say anything. Perhaps Byunghun was too afraid to admit to the fact that Chanhee was different now and not the same boy he knew back when they were still children. Perhaps Byunghun was wondering why Chanhee acted the way he did earlier. Perhaps Byunghun was worried that Chanhee doesn’t remember him anymore. It was probably all the above.

 

“Where is this place?”

 

“Oh...”

 

“Why am I here?”

 

“Chanhee, listen-”

 

Before Byunghun could finish, Chanhee grabbed onto Byunghun’s shoulder and shook him violently, causing him to stop in the middle of his sentence due to the increasing pain on his injured shoulder. Chanhee’s words and actions were not matching up. Nothing was matching up. One second, Chanhee tried to choke Byunghun in his sleep. The next, he injured Byunghun’s shoulder and hand. And for a short instant, he worried over Byunghun’s bleeding shoulder the way he would when they were young. Truly nothing was matching up.

 

“How did I get here? No, how did I get out of there?!”

 

“I…”

 

Due to both the blood loss and the overwhelming amount of information to take in, without finishing his words, Byunghun fainted under Chanhee’s weak but firm grip.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

about the title...this has absolutely nothing to do with the movie Twenty because i wrote this way before the movie came out but that movie is pretty good and funny i recommend it. back to this fic.. i'm having a lot of trouble writing this but i still want to get something out occassionaly for those who subscribed/upvoted/commented and actually want to read this (it means a lot to me, seriously). i changed the pov because it's so hard (for me) to write in 1st person??? idk. i don't have much planned for this story so idk where it's heading and therefore also don't know how often i'll update. i'll definitely try to write something even if it's a short chapter. hope you guys are okay with that. sorry & thanks for still sticking by ps. comments are very motivational hahah

(2015.06.29)