Exclusive Club

Saoirse

Saoirse's POV 


                       Chapter 1 : Exclusive Club

 

2 months ago, I saw my parents were butchered right in front me because of a crime that they committed. The Government killed my parents and they’re trying to eliminate those who don’t abide their laws. My sister and I were being held captive by the Government (also known as the Legion) -- they were investigating us about our parents. Right now, I’m at school doing what teenagers my age are doing. I don’t have friends because I prefer it that way and I think it’s a total waste of time.

If you see me, you’ll probably think that I’m just another plain face, “very plain” with strange eyes and hair colour. The colour of my eyes are purple, I have a wavy red pinkish hair, pale skin and average height. I’m the exact opposite of my Sister whose name was Chastity -- she's tall, has ebony curly  hair, olive skin, purple eyes and a voluptuous body. Chastity is really smart and of course from her name, she’s also generous. 

Most people defined me as cold hearted and a person who fights for freedom and that’s why, I was named “Saoirse” because it means freedom in Irish gaelic. In our society, when we reach the age of thirteen we are certified to create a name for ourselves or by our parents; people base their name on their personality. Below the ages of 13, those people are called “Nameless”. There are 4 sections:

  1. Law Enforcement – These are the judge, lawyers and policemen.
  2. Science and Technology – These are the doctors, nurses and engineers.
  3. Agriculture – These are the farmers, or people who keep the cities clean.
  4. Education – They are teachers.

       The 4 sections are like 4 stages of your life: When you turn 7 years of age, you’ll be placed in the Agriculture section.  At the age of 13, you can transfer in the Education section. At 19, you can be in the Law Enforcement section. By the age of 24 to 34, you can be in the Science and Technology section. There are certain points for you to get into the sections, if not then the Legions will take care of you. Points are like examination scores, each section will give you tons of tests and then from that you’ll earn points. To get into the Agriculture section, you need to get 300 points. In Education, you’ll need 400 points. Law Enforcement sums up about 500 points and lastly, in Science and Technology, you need to earn 600 points. If you want to stay in the Agriculture section, but your points are high enough to get into the other sections, you can do whatever you want. The scary part is when you don’t pass and surely the Legions will take you away from your family and who knows what they will do to you. And if you get super high points, you can be one of the members of the Legions. I’m 14 years old and my sister will turn 19 soon -- she wants to become a lawyer and she has 460 points which is enough to get into the Law Enforcement section.  While I was waiting for my sister by the parking lot at school, a boy approached to me.

“Hello.” He greeted with a smile. “You’re Saoirse, right?” He asked.

I nod.

“I’m Justice.” A girl suddenly appeared by his side.

“Hello. My name is Clairvoyance and I’m his girlfriend.” She said sweetly. This girl is really beautiful and cute -- she has this long curly brunette hair with highlights and bangs, blue eyes, long legs and very tall frame.

I smiled a little at her.

“I’m sorry about your parents.” He said apologetically and it seems like he means it.

“W-wait. You knew my parents.” I asked.

“Yeah, my dad was friends with your parents.” He replied.

“Was?” I asked.

“My dad’s dead now. You were there at the funeral.” He said, “You don’t remember, do you?”

I didn’t know what to say. Am I supposed to say sorry, even though I don’t feel sorry? I know it’s very mean of me, but I don’t know him. “I don’t remember.” I paused, “Farewell.” And I turned to my sister, who’s now walking towards me.

“That’s Justice.” Chastity remarked when we got inside the car.

“You know him?”

“Well, yeah.” She rolled her eyes and said, “We went to his dad’s funeral like when you were 9 or something.”

“Oh.” I said.

“And also he’s the hottest guy at school. How can you not know that? He’s the only guy that’s not been bullied.”

“I thought you’re going out with someone? Bully?”

“I am but that doesn’t mean I don’t know who’s hot or not. His parents were considered traitors of the government, but he was never been bullied which is unusual. Every guy wants to be like him and every girl wants to date him, but all of them are scared of him. He scares me a bit too.”

“Well, I’m not scared of him. Cara, turn on the music.” Cara is the name of the car. It’s a voice command car, but it still has a manual steering wheel.

“It’s because you’re like the guy version of him except that you’re not popular.” She said.

“Ugh.” I punched her arm.

“Ouch!” She said.

We dropped by at our parents’ grave and we sat there for hours until curfew. The next day, we went to school and the boy was standing next to my locker.

“Good morrow.” He said cheerfully, showing off his dimpled smile.

“Umm, what are you doing—why are you standing next to my locker?” I asked.

“Is there a problem?” He asked.

“Okay, what do you want from me?”

“Be at my house tonight.”

“Why?”

“It’s important.”

“Why? And I don’t even know where your house is.” I said in frustration.

“Oh, I’ll just drive you at my house or you can bring your sister to drive you to my house. I’m sure she knows the addressed.” He said.

“Why?” I asked again.

“Okay, I’m getting annoyed by your whys.” He said in annoyance.

“Well, I’m getting irked by your evasive answers.” I rolled my eyes at him.

“Touche. I’ll explain it to you later tonight and bring your sister.” He said.

“Fine.” I stormed off and went to my respective classroom.

At the end of class, I told my sister that the boy invited us to his house and she agreed to come with me. Apparently she knows the addressed of the boy and I’m guessing they’re friends.

“It’s the first time ever I see you going out to a friend’s house.” Chastity pointed out.

“Well, the boy is really pushy.” I said.

“Justice is not a boy.”

“He is.”

“Justice is a man. I mean, can’t you see how ripped his body is?!”

“In terms of mentality, he acts like a boy.”

“You’re weird.”

“He’s peculiar.”

“Well, that I agree.”

We stopped by an enormous house, I’m pretty sure that the boy’s parents are part of the Legions. My sister spoke through the small screen and the gates opened. As we walked inside the double glass door; the place is full of black and white designs, but it gives off a very sophisticated elegant look. There were 2 girls and 2 guys in the living room, but the boy is not here and also her girlfriend.

“They’re upstairs.” The girl with a short blonde hair said, “I’m Amber Stark. You’re Saoirse and you’re Chastity, right?”

I nodded at Amber.

“Hello.” Chastity greeted with a smile. “Nice meeting you Amber and you are?”

 “My name is Rogue Watson.” The girl with the light brown curly hair said.

I waved at the girl.

“I’m Rebel Watson.” The guy with huge dark circles and blue eyes said.

“I’m Gray Smith.” The guy with the very small voice said.

“Nice meeting all of you.” Chastity said.

“Ditto.” They all said in unison.

Chastity being Chastity conversed with all them and then I heard footsteps going down the stairs. I just realized that the boy was holding Clairvoyance’s hands while walking down the stairs.

“I guess you guys greeted each other now.” The boy said.

“Not really. The other one just nodded at us.” Gray said.

“I waved too.” I said.

“I don’t think I’d call that a greeting.” Gray said. “Anyway, let’s start, Justice.”

“Alright then, this is an exclusive club.” The boy announced.

“What?” Chastity said in shocked.

“Let me finish. I know that this is forbidden by the Legion.” He paused, “Also, this is the reason why your parents rather our parents were killed by the government.”

“Why?” I asked.

“I know you’d say that. They wanted to get out of here because the government is one the government is rationing the food, two mysterious murders and three they’re brainwashing people.” He explained.

“What are you talking about?” Chastity said in bewilderment.

“The food that we eat has chemicals in it. They wanted to manipulate us into robots so that they can also control the Outcasts. Behind this city, there are Outcasts everywhere and they’re free. All of our parents wanted to get out of here because they know what the governments are doing. They all died because they just wanted to live freely. Torturing people just because they didn’t get what they wanted.” The boy said, “Now, what are we going to do?”

“CCTV camera?” I asked.

“Don’t worry. They can’t see or hear us here. It’s safe” He replied.

“Are you sure? And how did you do it?”

“It’s because I’m a genius. Anyway, our parents are thinking of an escape plan.” He said.

“How do you know all of this? Escape plan?” I asked.

“My parents and your parents are Outcasts. They told me all about it. Yes, an escape plan and that’s the reason why they’re killed.”

“How did they get in here, if you say that they’re Outcasts?” Chastity asked.

“There are people inside here that are Outcasts, so they’ve been helping each other out. Just imagined, a place where we can be free.” He said.

“But that’s why they created the 4 sections in order to have peace. Before, there’s too much freedom that they had forgotten about the laws.  There were wars before and now we have peace.” Chastity said.

“Soon, there’ll be war. Can’t you see? The teachers, they teach us false facts. The Agricultures, they give us rationed foods. The Law Enforcement, they kill and torture the wrong people. The Science and Technology, they experimented on us.” He said with an exasperated sigh.

“I dunno.” Chastity said.

“Here, eat this in one week and you’ll see what I’m saying.” He gave us some tablets.

“What are these?” Chastity asked.

“It’s to fend off the drugs or chemicals they put in your foods.” He said, “Trust me and you’ll see.”

“Okay, but we have to go home now. There’s curfew.” Chastity said.

Chastity and I rode in silence until we got home. We can’t speak of it inside our house because the CCTV cameras are everywhere and it’s like we’re on a reality show or something.  I don’t know what to believe in anymore. There’s a lot things that’s been bothering me and I know that I need to get to the bottom of this. 

“Hey! Wake up! We’re going to be late.” Chastity said.

“What time is it?” I asked.

“It’s already 6:45.” She replied.

“What?” I panicked.

I hurried to the bathroom and put on my school uniform. Today is the day that my sister will take the final exams to get into section 3. 

“I can’t pick you up after school. Can you go home by yourself?” She asked.

“I’m not a kid anymore.” I answered.

“I know.” She said, “See you later, bye.”

I walked to the double doors of my school and then the big television screen hanged on the walls of the corridor began to show a guy talking about traitors and what caught my attention is when he said my parents’ name. I can feel the stares all around me, so I just walked down the aisle when suddenly someone tripped me.

“You better watch your back, traitor.” Cadence the most popular girl in school warned me. I know that for the rest of the second term, I’m going to be bullied a lot because that’s what they do when your or someone in your family broke the rules even though you’re innocent.   

“I’m not a traitor.” I said angrily.

The third period just finished, so I went to the cafeteria. My friend Snow sitting in our usual spot, I went over there to sit next to her.

“Hello.” I said with a smile.

“Saoirse, I need to talk to you.” She said. Somehow, I already knew what she’s going to say. “I can’t talk to you anymore and you know why. I’m so sorry.”

“I understand.”

“But we can still be friends outside school.”

“Sure. You should go now, they might bully you too.” She got up from our table and walked to her other friends.

“What do we have here?” Cadence said.

“What do you want?” I rolled my eyes.

“It seems that your friend walked out on you.” Holiday said. She’s cadence best friend, “I feel bad for you.”

“I love the sarcasm.” I said.

“Well, do you love eggs?” Cadence asked so innocently. And then, on cue everybody’s throwing eggs at me. I stood up from my chair then a guy blocked all the eggs while he hugged me inside his jacket.

“Stop it.” The boy said in a scary tone, “Cadence.” They all stopped throwing at me; the boy is probably the only guy that’s not been bullied even though his parents were considered as traitors too. They all feared him and the girls adored him at the same time.

“Justice, what are you doing?” Cadence said.

“If, anyone lays a finger on Saoirse Kingsleigh” He paused, “You have to go through me first, do you understand?” He said in a very serious tone.

All of them returned to their tables. “I don’t need your help.” I exclaimed, “I can take care of myself, you know?”

“You should be thankful that I saved your arse.” He said.

“What happened to you?” Clairvoyance asked her boyfriend then she looked at me, “Oh dear. I think I have an extra shirt for you, Saoirse and please honey Justi go and clean yourself too.”

“Honey Justi?” I said holding back my laughter.

“It’s what I call him.” Clairvoyance said.

“I already told you that I hate it when you call me that.” He said in distaste.

“Let me guess he calls you Clair.” I guessed.

“Yes, how’d you know?” She asked.

“I figured that he’s too lazy to say your name.” I said.

“You’re right.” She smiled.

“I think Just suits him better than honey Justi.” I said.

“I like it.” The boy said.

“Then I’ll call you, Just. Are you happy now? We should go to the bathroom, Saoirse.”Clair said.

I nod.

“Here, I think it’ll fit.” Clair gave me her shirt and I tried it on.

“Yeah, it fits. Thank you.”

“No problem.”

“Can I call you Clair?” I asked.

“Sure.” She said, “You know you remind me of Justice.”

“My sister told me the same thing to.” I said.

“You know why? It’s because you’re both cold hearted but deep inside you’re really warm hearted.”

I just stared at her.

“Justice is never really sweet to me.” She continued, “He’s always serious like you. I’ve never seen him laugh or get angry before. But he’ll always defend what’s right and will tell you the truth no matter what. That’s why I’ve fallen in love with him.”

“Why are you telling me this?” I asked.

“Because you have to trust him.” She said.

“Trust needs to be earned.” I said.

“Then let him earn it.” She said.

I nod.

“The first time I ever saw him smile was the day when he talked to you at the parking lot.”

I stared at her. But then, she laughed.

When we came out of the bathroom, the boy is leaning beside the wall. He’s all cleaned up now and I can see that his one eye is blue/grey with gold . What strangely beautiful eyes he has.

“What took you so long?” He asked.

“You know us girls.” Clair replied.

“No, I don’t know.” He said, “And you, did you even wash your hair this morning before going to school?”

“Yes.” I lied. I only washed my body because I was going to be late.

 He raised his eyebrows at me.

“Okay, I didn’t wash my hair.” I surrendered.

“You’re a terrible liar.” He said.

I rolled my eyes at him and stuck my tongue out like a kid.

“We should get back to class.” Clair said, “Bye, Saoirse.”

I waved her goodbye. Nobody tried to bully me until the end of the class. Maybe, I should say thank you to him-- he did get thrown eggs all over his body too.

“Hello.” Somebody whispered to my ears and I jerked away.

“You scared me.” It was the boy.

“I didn’t mean to scare you.” He said.

I walked away from him and he followed me. “What?” I said in irritation.

“Where are you going?” He asked.

“I’m going home.” I answered.

“I’ll drive you home.” He said.

“You should drive your girlfriend to her house.” I said.

“Her dad picks her up at school.” He said.

“Oh.”

“Listen, I want to show you something.”

“That’s why you wanted to drive me home.”

“Well, obviously.”

“Okay. But who else is coming?”

“Honey I mean Just. Why are you two here?” Clair suddenly pops out of nowhere.

“We’re going to my house tonight, you coming?” He asked.

“I can’t.” She said, “My parents.”

“What about the others?” He asked.

“They can’t come either.” Clair replied.

“It’s just the two of us then.” He said, “Clair, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“It’s going to be just us?” I asked, “I’m not going.”

“No, you should go Saoirse.” She said and then kissed the boy on the lips. “Bye Justice.”

“Goodbye.” He bid her goodbye and then he turned to me and said, “You said okay. There’s no backing out now.”

 We finally arrived at his house. “Are you hungry?” He asked.

“Yes.” I answered.

“You can cook supper if you like.” He said.

I stared at him.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“You think I’m going to cook for you?”

I ignored him.

“Here.” He gave me a cd and said, “Put it inside the cd player.”

I did what he told me. The video started playing and then I saw my living room—Mom and Dad were sitting on the couch. They started talking…

Mom: Saoirse darling.

Dad: Hello princess. We made this video because we don’t know if we’re still alive by then, but if we’re already dead. We just want to say that we love you.

Mom: We also made a cd for your sister too but this one is for you. I know who you are and you never wanted to show any weakness. Darling, it’s okay to cry when you’re sad. Don’t bring these walls up and that’s why people mistook you for being cold hearted, but they’re wrong. You’re really sensitive.

Dad: Your sister might be intelligent but you’re clever. Just because your sister is prettier than you that don’t mean that you’re not pretty. Don’t let your insecurities get the best of you because you’re amazing.  

Mom and Dad: We love you princess. Goodbye.

Mom: By the way, you need to trust Justice. He’ll help you. I know you have trust issues but you need to do whatever he says.

Dad: Young boy you better take care of my princess.

Me: Dad, what are you doing? Mom?

Dad: Oh nothing. Hon you better stop the recording.

Mom: Yeah.

Me: What are you recording?

The video ended and before I know it I was crying so hard. I never cried at their funeral and I just realized I’ve bottled my feelings inside. They know me so well and I’m really happy that I get to see their face again. The boy wiped my tears with his thumb.

“I hate when girls cry.” He said.

I was still crying. He suddenly hugged me and caressed my back. “This is so embarrassing.” I said in between sobs.

“It’s not.” He said, “It’s just means that you’re human and you get sad and lonely.”

“Thanks for helping me at school.”

“You heard your dad,” He paused then continued, “I’m supposed to be your knight. I was meant to be there. I’m going to take care of you and your sister. If you let me…”

“I will trust you and I hope you won’t break it.”

“I won’t.” He said sincerely, “Here’s the other cd. Give it to your sister.”

I nod.

“So are you going to join us or not?” He asked.

“Count me in.” I smiled brightly. His eyes turned blue green because of the light.

He smiled back.