Prologue: Do You Remember?

Why Didn't You Know My Heart?

Do you remember how you and I were so young and small?
We were always together; do you remember our friends who were jealous of us?

 

She walked down the usual route to home. Her thick coat was fastened until the top of its high collar, protected her neck from the lingering winter breeze. The weather at the moment forced her even more to hide her hands into the pockets of her long coat. Sometimes she looked up at the sky just to check on the twilight hanging up in there. She quickened her step across the street so she would arrive at home before dark. Sometimes her boots sank in to some mound of snow, but thank goodness it was waterproof so that her feet wouldn’t be soaked.

Unexpectedly, a little girl around her six or seven years old bumped her on feet and the little girl fell her down on to ground. She bent down to help the little girl and she could hear someone approached them and called the little girl over. “Are you okay?” the little boy asked in unison with herself made her looking at the boy and smiled. The boy grinned back at her and she wondered whether the boy was this little girl’s brother. Her hand reached out to wipe some snowflakes off from the girl’s clothes.

“What’s happened?” another voice came closer. The second boy had resemblance toward the first one. They must be twins, she thought.

“She bumped in to this noona and fall, hyung,” the first boy reported. Thus, the second boy immediately bowed to her, murmuring some apologizes. She responded in smiled and tell them that she was okay, and then turned to the little one.

“How about you, dear? Are you okay?” she patted the girl’s head that protected by a knitted winter hat. The little one shook her head told her that she was okay and then she shyly murmured a word ‘sorry’ in her tiny voice made her chuckling up for her cuteness.

She rose up and looked around. “Are you live around here?” she asked. The twins nodded in synch, widening her smile. “Then you have to hurry back to your home, your mother must be so worry for you three,” she prompted.

“It’s okay, noona. Our parents are still on their works and will be home late,” said the first boy. The older boy poked him by his elbow and threw a glare to his twin.

“It’s okay, noona. We’ll be home soon,” he bowed again while shoved his little brother to bow with him as well. What a well-mannered kids, she thought. Meanwhile, the little one watched them innocently. “Annyeonghigyeseyo,” once again, the biggest one led his two siblings to make a bow toward her.

She responded while smiling and waving her hand. “Annyeong. Be careful, kids!” she responded as she watched the three little siblings went away.

She found them so cute walking while holding hand each other. The girl walked between the twins reminded her of a little princess sandwiched by her two escorts. Suddenly the girl turned her head over her, she then waved her hand and smiled cutely. She looked so happy for being together with the twins like never before. She once again responded and waved to the kids. She could hear the girl shrilled, “Come on, oppa! It’s cold!” She squeezed two hands intertwined with her owns in pleasure. Somehow she smiled because they just reminded her of her childhood memory. She was still watching them until those three kids disappeared at the junction.

She blew hot breath to the cold air and then continued her route to home. Somehow her hearts just fluttered in ease. Oh, she suddenly missed her home—exactly, her foster family home. It’s been a while since her last visit to the family since last Chuseok. She could meet with whole family member but him.

It was him.

She knew he had been too busy to visit his own family often and could barely attend family gathering only in his limited vacant time. She missed him so much, but she couldn’t express it casually. Last time they had real conversation was years ago. They had a big fight which caused her to move out of the house to live independently by herself. He never said sorry for his pride. So did she, she never greeted him directly tough they were in same place when family gathering. They acted as if the other one was invisible. They could barely talk, they could barely meet, and even worsened by his vocation as a member of an idol group in their country. Indeed, he has already been a celebrity.

The three kids she just met before just reminded her of him more. As if the little girl resemble her younger counterpart, the twin little boys resemble of her older foster brothers’ younger counterpart. He was one of the twins. The younger one, the closer age to her. He was the one more childish between the twins, the one threw tantrum on her for taking his position as the maknae in his family. He was jealous, she used to try to impress him to like her. But he hated her even more, thus she then responded him in same resentment. They acted as two siblings that couldn’t ever get along their whole life.

Sometimes he showed her some unexpected kindness. Somehow he acted like a kind big brother to her. One day, he did something melted her heart and somehow she felt some tingling in her heart every time he went near her. And this whole time she just hid it from him. No one knew, no one had to know her little secret. One of her reason was that she didn’t want to cherish a viper in her foster family’s bosom. She respected his family and had too much grateful toward them for bringing her in to their family after her own family’s misfortune. She realized that having a crush on the son of the family was just too much. But what should she do since she couldn’t erase her own feeling that had grown up since long time ago?

Forgetting him was not an option because such a simple thing as her meeting with those three kids in her way home indeed just reminded her of him. She wondered whether he thought about her as she did or remembered her for any simple thing around him.

 

Do you think of those days like I do sometimes? Do you remember?
The nice breeze, the warm sunlight that shone on us? Do you remember?

 

She shrugged off her thoughts about him, and just hoped that he was alright and didn’t catch any cold on this extreme weather. Rather than prayed the best for him unconditionally, she just tried to be rational. She’s not that melancholic as if mpst of female character in fairytale or Korean drama. She had her own world and so was he. She had a crush toward him, and that’s it. She didn’t ask for anything more. As long as they both happy in each world they lived in, as long as she hid her feeling in the deepest corner in her heart.

Her phone vibrated as she reached her flat’s front door. She didn’t pick it up yet while she was reaching for her key inside her bag. Once the door unlocked, she shoved herself into her room didn’t want lingering any longer in a freezing air outside. After pushed her boots to the shoe racks near the door, she threw her body in the couch and caught some breath. After some few minutes, she remembered her last forgotten notification on her phone and checked it immediately. It was a text message from an unknown number.

Eomma sick, she asked you to come home now. –Bang Yongguk

***

 


A/N: Finally first chap update!\m/ What do you think about this prologue? Isn't it silly for me to write such a winter story in this spring season? :"\a Anyway, it would be nice for me to know what your thoughts about this story. Comments and criticals are always love~ :")

Pic source: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/business/Photos+World+Photos/9219425/story.html

Translated lyrics (A-Pink - So Long): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN8C1Tz1ZtE