The Gumiho

A Gumiho Love Story

A nine tailed fox, the gumiho, the evil spirit.

 

A beautiful woman sat in silence gazing up at the sky waiting for the full moon to arise. It was almost time for her true form to appear. As the moon rose, she felt the transformation begin. By the time the full moon was in the sky, shining bright, her true form sat there. An animal with not one but nine tails. She was a nine tailed fox. The gumiho. The evil spirit that is a beautiful woman who eats mens liver to become human.

 

The fox sighed as she laid her body down. Her tails swiftly wrapped around her body. Her ears folded down, giving her a look of sadness. Her heart, her soul filled with pain. She only wanted two things. One was to be human. The other was to be loved. There was only one trick. The person had to love her for who she. Love her even in her true form.

 

Who would love me in this form? She thought.

 

"Mi Kyong." A voice said softly. She knew who was. She heard and smelled her coming. It was Hyun Ae. Mi Kyong lifted her head, to look at her. "Come on. I made food." Hyun Ae replied, touching Mi Kyong's head gently.

 

Mi Kyong followed Hyun Ae home. The only place where she actually felt at home. A place where she felt and was treated like a human being. Hyun Ae had always felt like a mother to her, especially since she was the one who gave her the name Mi Kyong. Hyun Ae cared about her and tried to help her with her desire to become a human.

 

"I think I may have found someone who will finally love you as you are."

 

You always say that, but each time they fail.  She answered in thought.

 

"I know what you are thinking, but trust me when I say I think he is the one."

 

Mi Kyong sighed and nodded her head. Might as well try. At least try for Hyun Ae. 

 

Hyun Ae gave her hug and whispered, "I know you're tired of trying, but I promise there is someone out there for you." Mi Kyong rubbed her head against Hyun Ae's cheek. I know. 

 

The next day Mi Kyong sat watching the sun go up into the sky. As the sun shined on her through the window, she began to transform back into a beautiful woman..

 

Sighing, Mikyong got dressed and went for a walk. This was routine,  so Hyun Ae wasn't to worried. 

 

Mi Kyong walked to her spot that overlooked the ociean. The very spot where she changes to a nine-tailed fox. A spot no one knows or so she thought.

 

There stood a man  in her spot. Her sacred spot. Someone found my secret spot, she thought as he turned around. He jumped not knowing  Mi Kyong was there. "Oh. Hi." He said as he got a good look at her. She looks familiar, like I've seen her somewhere before. 

 

Mi Kyong blushed and verted her eyes down before replying, "Hi."

 

He stepped closer to Mi Kyong and introduced himself, "My name is Jeong Su. What's your name?"

 

Mi Kyong took her gaze from the floor to him, "My name is Mi Kyong."

 

"Nice to meet you Mi Kyong. Can I ask you a question?" Mi Kyong didn't know how to reply other then with a nod. "Would you like to sit and look at this sceneary with me?" Jeong Su asked.

 

Smiling slightly, Mi Kyong nodded her head. Jeong Su let out a laugh, "You don't talk much do you?" Mi Kyong just couldn't help but reply with a smile and followed him to sit down.

 

As time went by, Jeong Su got Mi Kyong to talk to him more and more. They got to know each other better and it was if they knew each other their whole lives. Mi Kyong got the feeling that she knew him in a past life, like he was her true love. She wasn't positive though and so she will wait till that third full moon, which it didn't take long for the days, weeks, and months to pass by.

 

Mi Kyong couldn't be happier during these last few months, but she was afraid. It is almost to the third full moon since they met. Would he be like the others? 

 

Mi Kyong's thoughts kept going as she waited for him to show up. Jeong Su arrived moments later, wondering waht was wrong. He knew she was afraid of somehting or someone, he just couldn't figure out what.

 

"Mi Kyong, what's wrong?" Jeong Su asked.

 

Mi Kyong bit her lip before telling him the truth, "I need to show you something. Something that I'm afraid of how you'll react."

 

Her eyes averted downward, which caused Jeong Su take his hand out and gently lift her head up so she looked at him. "Don't be afraid. I'm not going to run away. I promise." Taking a breathe Jeong Su continued, "What is it exactly that you're going to show me?"

 

Mi Kyong began to walk backwards towards the moonlight. "I'm going to show you my true form." Jeongsu don't be afraid of me. Mi Kyong thought as she transformed into the nine-tailed fox in fornt of him.

Jeong Su gasped. He couldn't believe it. A girl he had grown to love just turned into a a nine-tailed fox. He didn't know what to think or what to do.

 

Instantly after seeing his reaction her ears went down giving her a look of sadness. He noticed the look and calmed her down, "Don't worry I'm not going to run. I'm just shocked." She lifted her ears up and turned her head to the side. Really? 

 

Somehow Jeong Su knew what she was thinking and replied, "Yes, really."

 

As Mi Kyong walked up to him, he reached out his hand and petted her head. Jeong Su then gave a peck on her head. "This doesn't change a thing between us."

 

Mi Kyong grinned and his cheeck. Laughing, Jeong Su smiled and  sat down. Mi Kyong sat down next him. She had found someone that excepted who she was. Someone that is her true love.

 

Mi Kyong felt herself begin to transform back, so she ran to  a tree that she hid a bag with clothes in it.

 

Jeong Su stood up and met with her halfway. "Lets get out of here." Mi Kyong nodded her head in agreement. He held Mi Kyong's hand and just as they began to walk away from the spot, a man stepped out from the shadows.

 

"So the gumiho has finally found her true love." He started as he brought out a gun from behind his back. He grinned, "To bad it is going to end." He pointed the gun at Mi Kyong.

 

As the man pulled the trigger, Jeong Su pushed Mi Kyong out of the way causing the bullet to hit his chest. Mi Kyong screamed as Jeong Su fell to the ground. She bent down and held him. "No. No. No." She kept repeating.

 

Mi Kyong didn't notice the man approach closer to shoot her. Her eyes were on Jeong Su and Jeong Su's eyes on her.

 

The words 'I love you.' Was the only thing each of them heard, before the gun went off the second time. This time hitting the main target. Mi Kyong. The gumiho. The nine-tailed fox. 

 

Both dead at the hands of this man. A man that spends his life hunting gumihos. He takes pleasure in killing them even if they found their true love. 

 

The gumiho, the nine-tailed fox, life always ends in pain. Always is misunderstood. All they want is to live a happy human life with their one and only true love. A life that is cut away because people are afraid.

 

The gumiho. The nine-tailed fox. Not a demon. Not an evil spirit. Just a life who wants to live.